2,451 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!
This movie had so many great parts: Jar Jar Binks (although adults hate him) and Darth Maul cut in half. I like seeing Anakin the same age as me, especially when he does the pod racing.
Published 6 months ago by Harlow

3.0 out of 5 stars Just an entertaining movie, no more
Published on June 29 2004 by T. Tiraterra

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad, April 20 2014
Martin Pitchon "I love classical music" (La Prairie, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
Well... i am about an old fashion guy. I prefer the three last chapters. They were made when I was young. Less special effects, more good acting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, Dec 24 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Old style entertainment, Sept. 22 2013
I purchased this so that our grandchildren could start off their star wars viewing with the first production. Now .we will keep purchasing the volumes in the order that they were produced

5.0 out of 5 stars Étoile, Sept. 12 2013
This review is from: Star Wars, Episode I: The Phantom Menace (Widescreen Edition) (Bilingual) [Import] (DVD)
J'ai choisis 5 étoiles pour le service de livraison rapide et pour le service aux clients. J'adore les 6 épisodes de la série Star Wars. Il me manquais celui-ci pour avoir la collection complète. Merci. Je le recommande à tous.

2.0 out of 5 stars Star wars :episode 1 -the phantom menace full sceen francais englais, Sept. 1 2013
bonjour , J ai recu ce prodiut dans le temps pre etablit,le probleme c est que le disque est arriver avec des egratiguers,le film a mauvaise images et j aimerais bien l echanger pour un autre sans egratugures.pour le reste je n ai rien de negatif a reproché a votre service.STAR WARS :EPISODE - THE PHANTOM MENACE (FULL SCREEN ) FRANCAIS ENGLAIS

3.0 out of 5 stars Just an entertaining movie, no more, June 29 2004
T. Tiraterra "Fluffy" (Davis, CA) - See all my reviews
I was one of the only people in the world who did not see "The Phantom Menace" in theaters, and instead waited until it came out on video and all the hype had died down. Perhaps this was why I did not see it as a monumental disappointment, since I didn't watch it believing it was going to be the best movie of the year. This is one of the most bashed films of modern times, and I don't think it deserves all of its negative publicity. Ironically, for how bad everyone says it is, Lucas still got what he wanted out of the movie- it's still the highest grossing post-"Titanic" film (though "Shrek 2" is closing fast, and "Spider-Man 2" may reach it also), and was the third-highest grossing film of the 1990's when adjusted for inflation.
I see "The Phantom Menace" as simply an entertaining adventure. It has a criminally slow first half, but some of the scenes in its second half are truly spectacular, such as the pod race and the Darth Maul fight. Everyone says how bad the acting is, but I found most of the actors passable- only Jake Lloyd as Anakin Skywalker irritated me. The special effects are incredible for the most part, and the final space battle leaves you breathless.
Of course, "The Phantom Menace" is not a great movie by any means. Darth Maul was criminally underdeveloped, and the Trade Federation bad guys were dull and lifeless. Whenever Jake Lloyd appeared on the screen, I wondered if I was watching a dumb kids movie. Overall, "The Phantom Menace" simply cannot compare with "The Empire Strikes Back". Then, of course, there's the immortal Jar Jar Binks. If Episode III has a chance of being as successful as the original "Star Wars" films, it will feature Jar Jar's slow and painful death, perhaps replayed over and over again in a flashback.
In the end, "The Phantom Menace" is just a couple hours of good entertainment, neither as bad nor as good as many claim it is. I actually slightly prefer "The Phantom Menace" to "Attack of the Clones", which was boring and too serious for its own good. However, there may be some nostalglia factor there- I miss the days of 1999, when everything was going great and the world had nothing better to do than freak out over the new "Star Wars" movie.

2.0 out of 5 stars But for the special features, Just Plain Bad, June 10 2004
Francis R. Boyle (VA) - See all my reviews
This movie had one moment that I loved: the lightsaber duel... which is why this rates more than one star.
I was mightily dissapointed with this movie, and I could go on and on about contrived plots and love stories, purile dialogue, and gungans who could insult the intelligence of a horsefly... but I wont.
The DVD in itself was very well made, worthy of the LucasArts logo.
But (and maybe I was expecting too much), I found the movie uninteresting, the stakes not high enough, and I didnt care if any character lived or died.

1.0 out of 5 stars Give me a break, June 7 2004
Kevin (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Come on people. I was a kid when the the REAL star wars movies came out. Now I show them to my son and they rock...we have a blast and the darn things are almost 30 years old. This recent garbage from Lucas shows he SHOULD NOT be directing adult films!!!! They are flat and lack ANY of the emotional buy-in needed for a legend film series. The orginal series was so good that it became part "religion" to many people. They were so good, you had a frenzy when these new movies were coming out. The orginal movies were made for adults with a story so compelling, you didn't need 100 million in special effects to pull it off. Lucas should have done what he did with the first series...let other people direct them! What a disgrace to the orginal Star Wars trilogy. I think that's the point...the original Star Wars was an adult film that was good for some kids too. The new Star Wars is simply a kids series that seems laughable when it tries to get serious for a few minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good movie. ages like fine wine., June 3 2004
D. McShane "dannymcshane124" (Washington Township, MI United States) - See all my reviews
It needs to be like The Matrix. It needs to be like Lord of the Rings. These are the things I hear a lot. Well Star Wars is not Lord of the Rings nor is it The Matrix. In fact I'm glad it's not like those movies. That's not what GL was going for any ways.
This is a very good movie. :)

2.0 out of 5 stars needs a han solo type to make it fun, May 25 2004
after seeing the first two star war movies i was naturally excited when return of the jedi was released. it was a dissapointment.
the ewok thing reeked of the next merchandising line, the actors were visually tired of making the movies and it showed in their performances, lucas and team both copped out and extended the soap opera quality by revealing lea to be lukes sister (you cant let one of the heroes go away without the girl, so we'll make the girl luke's long lost sister) and the whole conversion of vader seemed phony.
star wars and the even better empire were great fun, but return seemed to show the idea had been played out.
i was one of the few who was not excited when it was announced that a prequal trilogy was coming.
this film proved my misgivings were correct.
what makes the first 2 star wars movies nicely balanced is the presence of han solo. luke is a bit too sullen, too religious, too serious. the fun errol flynn like han solo balances this out.
but the prequals are star wars without a han type at all. its all luke; religiousley serious and a bit bland.
that said the movie does have a few decent moments, most notably the ben hur like race and the wwf type (and way too brief)darth maul.
in retrospect i recall pauline kael's review of star wars and she warned that this was a bad new trend in hollywood.
she lamented the slickness, the empty headed, overblown fx.
in many ways i agree with her. but, i also know that the first two movies, like his american grafitti, were indeed fun.
perhaps lucas had kael in mind when he made this but if he did, he certainly approached it from the least interesting angle that was in the first.
this movie is as pressed and clean as lukes white coat, it needs the dirt and roughness of han's vest
or, perhaps its just been too long since he actually directed a movie, but regardless, i havent seen the second prequal and wont bother to.
i'll cherish the memory of star wars and empire strikes back