1,079 Reviews

Drama, 139 minutes
Directed by David Fincher
Starring Edward Norton, Brad Pitt and Helena Bonham Carter

Published on Feb. 29 2012 by Steven Aldersley

1.0 out of 5 stars Fight Club is a GEEK show!
Brad Pitt, as America's most underrated actor (could it be because he's looks the way he does?), does a wonderful turn as Tyler Durden in this purile film. And Bonham Carter, Norton, and Meatloaf are all good as well. (I don't know why Pitt got so excited about this project. I surely don't know why he would file his teeth down to perform in it.)
Come on, I'm a guy...
Published on May 22 2001 by Get What We Give

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but I have to break rule No. 1, Feb. 29 2012
Steven Aldersley (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Fight Club (1999)
Drama, 139 minutes
Directed by David Fincher
Starring Edward Norton, Brad Pitt and Helena Bonham Carter

Why do I like Fight Club? It seems to suggest that violence and anarchy are good things, but that's certainly not something I believe. I think it comes down to the dark comedy and the strong script, coupled with excellent performances from Norton and Pitt. This is a cool world to experience, but I wouldn't want to live in it.

The story seems perfectly traditional at first. We see Norton on a plane. He's referred to as The Narrator in the credits and seems to think of himself as Jack. He encounters Tyler Durden (Pitt) and takes his business card. Jack returns home to find that there's been an explosion in his apartment, so he calls Durden and eventually asks to stay at his house for a while. Durden is a cheerful, carefree lunatic who wants Jack to punch him. The two fight on the street and decide to recruit members and form Fight Club, believing that it's an expression of freedom.

Jack spends his free time visiting support groups. We see him hugging people with testicular cancer and all manner of diseases. He enjoys letting his inhibitions go and listening to the members speak about their illnesses. After a while, he becomes aware of Marla (Helena Bonham Carter). Like him, she's a tourist visiting the various support groups. He confronts her and they agree to attend different classes.

Durden encourages Jack to stop trying to live up to the expectations of other people. As a result, Jack becomes more assertive. He challenges the authority of his boss and stops worrying about his appearance and the latest IKEA catalog. He regularly shows up for work with fresh cuts and bruises. Jack finds that he enjoys his new image. One thing he doesn't like is Durden forming a relationship with Marla.

Fight Club is set in a gritty world and makes the viewer feel unclean while watching it. Fincher is good at creating unsettling worlds and this one is similar to those found in The Game and Se7en. Durden's house appears derelict and the neighborhood is seedy. As the story unfolds, it becomes clear that Durden has a purpose for starting Fight Club. The recruits are assigned tasks to disrupt society and members can come from any occupational background. It's like a secret society.

Fight Club contains a major twist and I won't reveal it for those who haven't ever seen the movie. The twist elevates the movie to a different level. Subsequent viewings are enhanced because you'll notice little details you may have missed the first time. It's clever how everything ties together. The ending annoys some viewers, but it works perfectly for me. The final sequence is set to one of my favorite Pixies' songs and is probably my favorite scene in the entire movie.

Although it's not an action movie, Fight Club is a pure adrenaline rush. From the opening credits set to the pounding beat of the Dust Brothers, it rarely lets up until the relative calm of the closing scene.

I'm enjoying this project and got more out of Fight Club on yesterday's viewing than I ever have before. Just don't go out and copy the behavior it depicts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Watch!, April 13 2014
This review is from: Fight Club [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A wonderful addition to anyone's collection of good movies :) You may also pick up a valuable lesson - learn to let go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Shipping, great product., April 3 2014
This review is from: Fight Club (DVD)
I love this movie!:P What else can I say, it's a movie. Arrived on time and in excellent condition. Cool beans.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best edition..., Oct. 8 2013
Simon Bergeron - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Sure the Blu-ray does have a few more things, but this one has great menus, great hidden features and a complete booklet with loads of nice info.

Could never ask for anything better save for more behind the scenes footage from the making of this movie...

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous movie, Aug. 29 2013
RIP - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fight Club [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Not much to write about this, since most have seen it and know what it is all about. Not much to add on the story side of things here. Just wanted the Blu-ray version of this for my collection and with the Hi-Def imaging some of the scenes will really pop demonstration just how great some of the CGI imaging used to help create some of the realistic affects in the movie. Also at the price I purchased it at it was an incredible deal having purchased it for something like $6.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant movie, Dec 27 2012
This review is from: Fight Club [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Fight club is getting better and better and better each time you watch it. Some might say that it is a mindless film about violence which was what i thank the first time i saw it. When you listen it the second and the third time you get all the nuance and you see how this film is great. The commentary with the 3 main actors and David Fincher is really great. The picture and audio quality of this blu ray is great to we can see the differance from the DVD

I suggest to any movies maniac to watch this movie

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blowingly Amazing, Dec 15 2002
Jeremy (New York, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This is the best movie in the world!!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME MOVIE, Dec 14 2002
This movie is so good. Its thrilling, its full of action, and it has a point. If you want a movie that'll make you think, watch this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Dec 6 2002
Mich (Jewhell, New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This film is most definately on my top 5. If you have not seen this, watch it now! If you have seen it and did not like it.. well, is that possible? I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best movie ever made, Nov. 11 2002
Jim Kowalski (Lorain, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fight Club (VHS Tape)
I know you already seen thousands of good reviews about just how great this movie is. Well it is in everyway of course but I really want to discuss the bad reviews. I decided to be open and read the one star reviews which turned out to be utter ... They complain on how this movie is the most predictable movie ever and that it is nothing more than immature thoughts from children hitting puberty. One person was as assnine to say this movie is a joking display of 9/11 (#1. That topic is as old as ... and 2. it didn't happen yet in 1999 and just because the word terrorist is included or a picture of a building falling down means nothing).
Well I can assure you Chuck Palahniuk is not a teenager and two if you have a brain and aren't the stupid, useless, mindless, superficial, blue collared robot that this movie describes you would understand that this movie isn't telling you to pee in grandma's soup or punch your friend, its just a pointer at how boring and mundane everyday normal materialistic life is and the decay of society. I love this movie because I agree with it and I understand if you don't agree with it but not for stupid made-up reasons. I read one review most likley by an old woman that said she was offended by the violence but got the message. Thats fine even though I didn't agree w/ her values.

ARRAY(0xbf32a3c0)

Fight Club
Fight Club by David Fincher (DVD - 2007)
CDN$ 16.98 CDN$ 6.99