5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best
Long one of my favourites. Great slapstick humour- hard to go through it without laughing out loud at least once.
Published 4 months ago by Gerald Rabinovitch

3.0 out of 5 stars because good is dumb
Published on May 31 2004 by Big Scary

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best, Dec 23 2013
Gerald Rabinovitch (Toronto, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars The Schwartz is strong in this one, Dec 15 2013
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Spaceballs (DVD)
I wouldn't rank Spaceballs up there with the likes of Blazing Saddles, but it's a vintage Mel Brooks spoof with a great cast and plenty of comedic elements. I don't think anyone else could get away with making so many really bad jokes, but Brooks always makes them work. Obviously, the film is a take-off of Star Wars, with its hero Lone Starr (Bill Pullman) and his sidekick Barf (John Candy) trying to rescue Princess Vespa (Daphne Zuniga) from the evil clutches of Dark Helmet (Rick Moranis). The planet Druidia has all of the fresh air they could ever need locked inside a planetary shield, while Planet Spaceballs is quickly running out of breathable air. President Skroob (Mel Brooks) plans on kidnapping Princess Vespa and using her to blackmail the king of Druidia into revealing the combination to the planet's air stash. That's the plan, anyway. The satire doesn't stop with just Star Wars, though - there are countless in-jokes and spoofs taken from a wide range of other movies (e.g., Alien, The Wizard of Oz, Star Trek, Planet of the Apes, etc.).

You know, you really can't describe a Mel Brooks film and do it any justice. You pretty much have to experience all of the one-liners, corny jokes, and physical humor for yourself. When it comes to Brooks' personal brand of humor, you'll either love it or hate it. For fans, there are some really ingenious bits playing off the craft of modern filmmaking and the marketing of film-related paraphernalia. There's even a high-brow joke or two that some viewers probably won't "get." Mostly, though, Spaceballs is chock full of good old-fashioned, corny jokes. It's the type of comedy that should hold up quite well for many years to come.

I think Rick Moranis pretty much steals the show as Dark Helmet, but Brooks' depiction of the all-wise Yogurt is pretty hard to forget, as well. I also enjoyed listening to Brooks' director's commentary, as he talks a good bit about the writing, production, and casting of the film. I even learned a few things I didn't know - such as the fact that Dom DeLuise supplied the voice for Pizza the Hutt. It's an amazing cast of characters - and a very funny movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spaceballs, May 21 2013
Joel Andrews - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Another classic with John Candy, Rick Moranis, Bill Pullman and Mel Brooks. One of my favorite movies of the 80's, this is a hilarious spoof of Star Wars, a must see for any Star Wars fan!

4.0 out of 5 stars amusant et stupide, Aug. 22 2011
This review is from: Spaceballs [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
un film parodie a prendre avec humour sans aucun sérieux. très amusant drôle
a ne pas écouter si vous ete trop sérieux ou incapable de faire abstraction de l absurde

3.0 out of 5 stars because good is dumb, May 31 2004
This review is from: Spaceballs (DVD)
although not a mel brooks masterpiece this film does not suffer solely from lack of comedic inspiration. in fact i find it to be one of his best. its main problem, in my opinion, was the shift in audiences. for the most part films such as Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein catered to an audience that was, by 1987, much older and focusing on family life. plus, brooks' comedic venom was now aimed at a less familiar target in Star Wars. intially, even i had a hard time time convincing myself it was worth seeing. but after repeated viewings i realized that it was as funny as many of brooks' best. now dont get me wrong, you wont laugh as often as you did for High Anxiety but you'll laugh none the less. sadly, the core players of previous films are missing here (Harvey Corman & Madeline Kahn) and it suffers becasue of it but the times were changing and so were the films. only later on did brooks really get into a stupor with Robin Hood: Men In Tights and Dracula: Dead and Lving It, starring the one dimensional Leslie Nielsen.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest Movie Ever!!!, May 15 2004
This review is from: Spaceballs (DVD)
Spaceballs, a comic masterpiece directed by Mel Brooks, is one of the funniest movies that I have ever seen. I own the trilogy of Star Wars and I watched every movie in the trilogy before I viewed this movie. After I watched Spaceballs, I found myself in a state of pure laughter as I saw Mel Brooks and John Candy imitating the trilogy of Star Wars. Anyone that wants a good funny movie to view should buy Spaceballs today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Crap it was good!!, April 14 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Spaceballs (VHS Tape)
This movie was absolutely crazy and funny!! I couldn't help but laugh the whole way! My favorite moment was the spoofing scene of Alien. Sooo funny. Watch Spaceballs and get ready to laugh hard.

5.0 out of 5 stars What would life be without Spaceballs, April 7 2004
This review is from: Spaceballs (DVD)
I'm not a really big fan of Star Wars but after I saw Spaceballs I felt like Star Wars must have not been very funny. Now I watch Spaceballs one to two times a day. If I ever win an Oscar I will thank Mel Brooks because his movies were so funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great comedy, April 4 2004
This review is from: Spaceballs (DVD)
Mel Brooks, comic genius. Spaceballs is the best space movie ever made. Great spoof on Star Wars, and I must say that I'd rather watch this than Star Wars. If you're into stupid comedies, this is a must see. Rick Moranis is great as Lord Helmet, John Candy as Barf, and Mel himself as President of Spaceball city, and of course the all powerful Yogurt. May the schwartz be with you!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite comedy of all time, March 17 2004
This review is from: Spaceballs (DVD)
Next To History of the world, this is my favorite! The wacky adventures of a man and his dog in a flying winnebeigo who are asked by a king to find his run away daughter whos beeing chased after by the SpaceBalls!
This has some of the best laughs in a movie ive ever seen! and its a shame they cut out the "A**HOLE" scene when they show it on TV because that is the funniest scene in the movie!
Mel brooks out did himself with this movie, and combined parodies such as obvious ones for space like "Star Wars" "star Trek" & "2001 Space Odessey" but genisly also added in some parody moments from "Dune" "Wizard Of Oz" "planet of the apes" and so much more!
To me this is Mels best movie to date! It will always be my favorite and I hope it becomes one of yours too! May the Shwartz be with you!

ARRAY(0xae3d2480)

Spaceballs
Spaceballs by Mel Brooks (DVD - 2010)
CDN$ 21.98 CDN$ 20.13