Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Format: DVDChange

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on October 29, 2002
Putting this movie in your player can clear a room faster than a Fire Alarm. It was apparent when HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART I was released that Mel Brooks had blown his comedic gift, but I doubt anyone expected the man behind the truly great YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN to bottom out as completely as he did here. Witless and torturously unfunny, with nearly every tired, corny gag ponderously telegraphed minutes in advance, (It's...the...Statue...of...Liberty... "Planet...Of...the...Apes"'s really no way for me to convey how unremittingly awful SPACEBALLS is. When I saw it in the theater, I can recall only two genuine laughs in the entire picture: The never-endingly long spaceship that just keeps on passing by at the beginning, and the "One Froggy Evening" / Looney Tunes reference during the ALIEN parody. I believe I spent the rest of the time retching.You'd be better off watching your toenails grow than punishing yourself by sitting through this mess.
on November 12, 2000
"Spaceballs", a parody of the space adventure genre, is one of the worst of the bunch. A synopsis of the film's plot is not necessary: Suffice it to say that the viewer is inundated with jokes -- one coming roughly every 20 seconds -- made at the expense of "Alien," the "Star Trek" movies and the "Star Wars" films, with the latter taking the brunt of the attack. Thrown in for seasoning, as well, are jokes about sequels and movie merchandising -- "Spaceballs" dolls, "Spaceballs" breakfast cereal, and, of course, the "Spaceballs" flame thrower -- which Brooks sees as having been a side effect of Hollywood's space program. What you're conscious of throughout this movie is that you're sitting in your seat, not laughing at performers who desperately want you to laugh. Rick Moranis has a few good moments mugging to the camera as the Darth Vader character, Dark Helmut. The director himself plays two characters, the shorter of which is a greenish, gnomish, Yiddish little sage called Yogurt. Yogurt's catch phrase, and the movie's, is "May the Schwartz be with you." And for this you hire writers? In his other role, of President Skroob, leader of "Spaceballs", the planet, Brooks has a couple of almost-passable scenes, like the one in which he tries, with disastrous results, to have himself beamed up -- "Star Trek"-style -- into the next room. "Spaceballs" is actually a kind of comic black hole. All in all, the movie is about as funny as having coffee spilled in your lap. Except that there's no burn -- just that slightly embarrassing, uncomfortable, all-wet feeling.
on August 21, 2000
I saw this when it came out in theaters and I wasn't the only person not laughing. How Mel Brooks is able or was ever able to get any films financed is beyond me. Who thought it would be a good idea to release a Star Wars spoof in the mid-late 80's when no one cared about Star Wars anymore. It only goes to show how comedically out of touch Mel Brooks is, when he thinks that Star Wars is still the cutting edge of pop culture 10 years after the movie left theaters. Loaded with unfunny line after unfunny line. This is the kind of stuff your grandpa would tell you and think it's funny. Well, I guess it makes sense seeing as how old and crusty Mel Brooks is. All these jewish references in the movie don't do anything for me. It looks like Mel Brooks has confused a Sci-fi spoof with Yiddish theater. I guess you have to be jewish to find this guys "humor" funny. If 2nd grade level fart and booger jokes really crack you up then you'll love this movie.
on February 26, 2001
It had been years since I'd seen the film and I didn't remember it being very good... but for 8 bucks I figured I'd give it another chance. Should have trusted my memory... Mel Brooks really bottomed out after he stopped working with Gene Wilder (and ditto for Wilder, but that's another story). The jokes are limp as a wet noodle, the comic timing is terrible. I did not laugh ONCE. That's a total of ZERO laughs for those of you keeping score at home. The commentary track is also painfully boring as Brooks continuously explains the obvious and pats himself on the back...
on December 29, 2001
Don't be suckered: SPACEBALLS is a movie that only a very young and slightly stupid teenage boy addicted to bad-taste jokes could love. It is badly directed, scripted, performed, and completely uninspired throughout, and it marks the beginning of Brooks' decline as a film maker. Fans of the brilliant but often erratic Brooks will be much better served by his earlier work. Buy THE PRODUCERS, BLAZING SADDLES, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, or SILENT MOVIE instead!
on August 30, 2002
This is, without a doubt, one of the worst movies ever made. How Mel Brooks can make both Young Frankenstein (a true classic) and this dull, unfunny, horrible movie just boggles the mind. Baby Jane's daddy was wrong, apparently you can lose your talent.
I made the mistake of suggesting to a friend that we see this movie when it was at the theater - and he still hasn't forgiven me. I haven't forgiven me.
on November 8, 2003
I cant even rate this movie its so horrible. The worst spoof in history. I watched this movie at my friends house cause this other kid brought it over. I was about to hurl halfway through because it was so pathetic. NOTHING IN THE WHOLE MOVIE WAS FUNNY. We made fun of the kid that brought it over and told him he was gay. NEVER EVER SEE THIS MOVIE.
on June 3, 2002
Spaceballs must be one of the stupidest movies ever made! If I could give this movie 0 stars I would. This movie was cheaply made and not at all funny. Tacky and tasteless. No storyline and the special effects were nauseating-literally. Don't waste your money like I did.
on August 30, 2001
This is the best proof that Mel Brooks had completely lost his touch in the 80's. After making some of the funniest movies ever through the mid-70's, he really stalled in the 80's. This movie has bad writing, bad perfomances, and is one of the dullest movies I've seen.
on July 20, 2001
This movie contains ALOT of profanity, every word imaginable. It should be rated R, so parents beware!