5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate feel-good movie
Published on April 12 2003 by flubbykitty

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Mild
Doris Day and a galaxy of great character actors give expert performances in this story of an innocent tour guide who is suspected of being a spy--but very regrettably, the script is not up to their talents, and the story quickly degenerates into a series of loose ends. Still, Day's light touch with comedy and charming turns from the likes of Arthur Godfrey, Paul Lynde,...
Published on Dec 9 2001 by Gary F. Taylor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate feel-good movie, April 12 2003
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
This is one of my ultimate "feel-good" movies. If I'm feeling down or blue, all I have to do is pop this into the VCR and I'm soon feeling chipper again. Just hearing the theme song can cheer me up. Maybe it's because this movie came out the year I turned 16 and it reminds me of a happier, simpler time in the U.S. Two of my favorites, Dom De Luise and Paul Lynde, are charming and hillarious as supporting cast.
I agree: this SHOULD DEFINITELY be put out in DVD in widescreen! Extra features such as an interview with and commentary by Doris Day would make this a true collector's edition. Anyone listening?

5.0 out of 5 stars All aboard All abaord on the Glass Bottom Boat, April 28 2004
Chris "Chris" (Leeds, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
This is a movie that I watch all of the time. Jennifer Nelson (Doris Day) is a worker at the NASA center in Florida. The day before she starts work she is swimming in the ocean and Bruce Templeton (Rod Taylor) gets hold of her mermaids tail with his fishing pole and pulls it off! Well when Jennifer finds out who he really is and that he is her boss she gets really nice to him. She is then put in as his private secratery to write a book about his life! Well the head honchos find out that she is doing some funny things and they think she is a Russian Spy because she calls her dog Vladimir but they think that is her Russion CounterPart! Well the movie ends funnily! Great family movie I highly suggest it to ya'll!

5.0 out of 5 stars This needs to be on DVD, April 24 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
I wasn't even born when this movie was made, but I grew up watching Doris Day movies on TV and just love them. I think I've seen them all, but Glass Bottom Boat, Calamity Jane, and Move Over Darling are probably my favorites. I'd like to see an entire DVD collection of Doris Day released so that I could share them with my kids.

4.0 out of 5 stars good film, Feb. 3 2002
TLC (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
This movie is a spy spoof with typical Doris Day mature and adult sophistication, and silliness mature and sophisticated adults can find themselves in by miscalculation. I give it 4 instead of 5 stars because for Doris Day to need laughs squeezed by the vehicle of a spoof shows less confidence in Day for her normal comedic abilities. The film is lavish in its photogaphy. The placement and angles are breathtaking and truly inspired by an artist. You can't take your eyes away from the screen. Myriad guest stars make the film very intertaining. It was a time when comedians had characteristics that were as entertaining as uiniquely their own. There are off color jokes here and there, but fairly mild nonetheless. My gut feeling is that Day didn't need to do a spoof as much as to continue in her normal genre of sophisticated romantic comedy; the playing out of her own brand of humor in the believable realm needs no assistance from less sophisticated slapstick. It was clearly a step down, and missed the point of what Doris Day is. The main value of the film, besides Doris Day being herself, is the nostalgia of the period, and usual feel-good energy level that made Doris Day a legend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth Sailing "Boat", Oct. 13 2000
Paul Brogan (Concord, NH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
"The Glass Bottom Boat" sailed into the nation's movie theatres in the summer of 1966 and quickly became one of the summer's top grossing comedy hits. Perennial favorite Doris Day showed a gift for slapstick comedy under the direction of Frank Tashlin who had honed his skill directing Jerry Lewis, Jayne Mansfield and others. Aided by a comedy dream cast including Dom DeLuise, Paul Lynde, Dick Martin, Edward Andrews and others, "Boat" is a fast paced, nutty, often side-splitting laugh fest whose plot is difficult to describe.
Day plays a tour guide at a space plant, who phones her dog Vladimir regularly. She's mistaken for a spy after being "caught" off Catalina Island by Rod Taylor, where she impersonates a mermaid for her father, Arthur Godfrey's glass bottom boat tours. Mix in some banana creme cake, some eye popping clothes designed by Ray Aghayan and his partner Bob Mackie, including a "Cher-like" Mata Hata outfit, some nosy neighbors played by "Bewitched" cast members George Tobias and Alice Pearce, and you've got the recipe for comedy highjinks.
Doris sings a couple of tunes including her signature hit, "Que Sera Sera" in a charming sequence with Godfrey, in his film debut. The mix is perfect throughout and this is one boat worth taking a cruise on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun. "There'll be one in every home someday!", Jan. 10 2000
Twings (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
Having made it to my late 20's without seeing any Doris Day movies, I recently came across "The Glass Bottom Boat" on TV. Much to my surprise, I was hooked. It's got it all - old-fashioned romance, music, rocket ships, Russian spies, and lots of laughs. I'm glad I bought the video, as I'm still enjoying it after several viewings.
Yes, it's dated and there are plenty of sexist attitudes, but that doesn't detract from the fun. We're free to laugh at the men being condescending to the women, just as we laugh at the space-age technology.
Of course, certain questions come to mind. Is the setting supposed to be NASA, or some commercial enterprise? And since the movie's not really about a glass bottom boat, why the choice of title? Sounds like something fishy was going on - or maybe it was just an excuse to include the catchy theme song. But the truly wise will toss these petty concerns overboard and enjoy the show.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this comedy!, Aug. 16 2001
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
Jennifer and Mr. Templeton meet when he gets her mermaid-suit on the hook while fishing (she's working as a mermaid in the weekends, hired to swim under her father's glass bottom boat for tourists). Later he, a famous scientist, hires her as his biographer and seduces her. After a while she's mistaken for a Russian spy.
Does it sound silly? Yes, it is. And very funny too. Almost all scenes, except for some in the middle of the movie, are very funny. Some examples: The kitchen scene, the scene with the remote-controlled boat and the scenes on the party towards the end of the movie. You should see for yourself! Doris sings "Soft as the Starlight", "Que Sera, Sera" and the title song.
If you like good comedies, this movie is for you. The cast is very good, especially Doris Day, and the screenplay is clever, and silly at the same time. This movie will make you laugh a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars A movie back when people knew how to laugh, Jan. 21 2002
Kevin Larsen (Batavia, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
For those people terribly upset and tired with political correctness, this is a movie that is not afraid to be "sexist" and has no real taboos to speak about. The woman (Doris Day) is charming, fun, and a little naive, and the man is highly intelligent and almost incompetent when it comes to romance. No doubt people would think the situations are ridiculous, but by no means are they ludicrous. There is a little truth behind all of it that although it is funny, it is also life-affirming in nature. This means it is also better than so-called or actual degrading, disgusting, or just plain Seinfeldian comedy that you almost want to steal a copy of this movie. Now if only I could find a woman like Doris Day...
I leave with something I belive I saw on TV.
"...she's like Doris Day on acid!"
"...but Doris Day wouldn't do that!!"
Buy, rent, borrow, or steal this movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eames Sets are Fantastic, Lynde in drag is hysterical., Sept. 15 2002
Scott K Dolik (Oceanside, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
I just saw this movie for the first time. If you like Doris Day you will love this film. The Spy angle is perfect for setting the 1960s theme. Then, and, oh boy, the sets start to overwhelm you. For those of you who are old enough to remember the Eichler homes in California, this film becomes eye candy. For those of you not architectually inclined Paul Lynde takes the cake.
Lynd in that dress is so freaking funny that I almost fell out of my chair. How funny that as early as 1966 Hollywood was joking about Lynde. He was so funny and it was no secret about his proclivities. It took years before mainstream America had a clue.
I recommend this film highly for anyone who would like to revisit an era more innocent than today and for anyone studying the Eames style of furniture and architecture.
Scott K Dolik

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgot how much fun this movie was, Jan. 31 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
I saw this movie on TV for the 1st time in over 25 years. I remembered liking it when it was new, but was amazed at how well it held up. The cast is full of recognizable actors in their younger days, which adds to the fun.
This movie was so well put together, it could have been made yesterday, except for a few things like typewriters, dial phones, and a secretary taking dictation! All the men's clothing is right back in style, although Doris' wardrobe is nothing short of AWFUL by today's standards.
Well worth seeing. I just ordered it, so I can see it again and again. It reminded me of another Doris Day picture, where she was stuck on an Island with Chuck Conners, I think. And her husband almost remarries. I can't think of the name, and I can't seem to find it, but I would like to see that again, too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Glass Bottom Boat
The Glass Bottom Boat by Frank Tashlin (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 24.95 CDN$ 21.99