5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate feel-good movie
Published on April 12 2003 by flubbykitty

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Mild
Doris Day and a galaxy of great character actors give expert performances in this story of an innocent tour guide who is suspected of being a spy--but very regrettably, the script is not up to their talents, and the story quickly degenerates into a series of loose ends. Still, Day's light touch with comedy and charming turns from the likes of Arthur Godfrey, Paul Lynde,...
Published on Dec 9 2001 by Gary F. Taylor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate feel-good movie, April 12 2003
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
This is one of my ultimate "feel-good" movies. If I'm feeling down or blue, all I have to do is pop this into the VCR and I'm soon feeling chipper again. Just hearing the theme song can cheer me up. Maybe it's because this movie came out the year I turned 16 and it reminds me of a happier, simpler time in the U.S. Two of my favorites, Dom De Luise and Paul Lynde, are charming and hillarious as supporting cast.
I agree: this SHOULD DEFINITELY be put out in DVD in widescreen! Extra features such as an interview with and commentary by Doris Day would make this a true collector's edition. Anyone listening?

5.0 out of 5 stars Un petit bijoux, July 6 2013
Stephane Perron "Elton" (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Glass Bottom Boat (DVD)
Du pure bonbon... avec Doris Day une charmante petite comédie d'espionnage.
Images remasterisées et les couleurs magnifiques... loufoque a souhait

5.0 out of 5 stars All aboard All abaord on the Glass Bottom Boat, April 28 2004
Chris "Chris" (Leeds, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
This is a movie that I watch all of the time. Jennifer Nelson (Doris Day) is a worker at the NASA center in Florida. The day before she starts work she is swimming in the ocean and Bruce Templeton (Rod Taylor) gets hold of her mermaids tail with his fishing pole and pulls it off! Well when Jennifer finds out who he really is and that he is her boss she gets really nice to him. She is then put in as his private secratery to write a book about his life! Well the head honchos find out that she is doing some funny things and they think she is a Russian Spy because she calls her dog Vladimir but they think that is her Russion CounterPart! Well the movie ends funnily! Great family movie I highly suggest it to ya'll!

5.0 out of 5 stars This needs to be on DVD, April 24 2003
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
I wasn't even born when this movie was made, but I grew up watching Doris Day movies on TV and just love them. I think I've seen them all, but Glass Bottom Boat, Calamity Jane, and Move Over Darling are probably my favorites. I'd like to see an entire DVD collection of Doris Day released so that I could share them with my kids.

4.0 out of 5 stars Is Doris a secret spy or just a woman in love?, May 10 2004
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
Doris Day is a mermaid that is until Rod Taylor (THE TIME MACHINE [1960]) catches her suit on a fishing hook in Catalina. She lost the bottom of her costume. She does it all. She is also a tour guide for the company Rod Taylor works for. She calls her dog at home from time to time. We've got Paul Lynde as a snoopy Security Guard. After the mermaid incident, clumsy Doris and Rod become friends and he invites Doris to his home to see the space-age kitchen. No need for a woman in this kitchen as you will see. Not quite "The Jetsons".
Also in the cast is several other character actors you have seen in Doris day films. Arthur Godfrey, John mcGiver, Edward Andrews, Dom DeLuise, Elizabeth Fraser, Dick Martin and Ellen Corby. Florence Halop and Robert Vaughn in cameos.
There is also Alice Pearce and George Tobias who at that time played the snoopy married neighbors in the Bewitched tv series. Alice Pearce was the first "Gladys Kravitz" from 1964-1972. George Tobias was the realistic "Mr. Kravitz".
Doris day and Arthur Godfrey ham "Que Sara Sara".
Some scenes filmed in Avalon, Catalina Island.
Paul Lynde has a scene in "drag".

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny movie, Dec 19 2010
This review is from: The Glass Bottom Boat (DVD)
This movie is definitly a classic comedy, the actors have fun singing and doing all kinds of antics throughout the film. Doris day and Rod taylor are at their best in this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars loves comedies, April 8 2003
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
A film this good should be available on DVD in widescreen!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my favorite, Nov. 19 2002
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
I have loved rod taylor since I saw him in the time machine
when I was 13 the glass bottom boat is the second time I
enjoyed him doris and rod where great! they where so funny
together. I would tell anyone who's interested,buy IT!
you won't be sorry and the entire cast will keep you
laughing through the entire film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why isn't this on DVD already?, Oct. 21 2002
Localboy (Fort Worth, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
My wife and I both love this movie!! It has a great 1960s feel to it, back when California was still the Golden State. Doris Day, of course, is wonderful and it is great seeing her co-stars Rod Taylor, Arthur Godfrey, Dick Martin, Paul Lynde, and others. The aerospace, cold war, and Catalina Island themes bring back a lot of memories. Remember the white steamer?
With so many marginal movies transfered to DVD it is a crime that this one hasn't made it yet. Come on MGM, get with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eames Sets are Fantastic, Lynde in drag is hysterical., Sept. 15 2002
Scott K Dolik (Oceanside, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glass Bottom Boat, the (VHS Tape)
I just saw this movie for the first time. If you like Doris Day you will love this film. The Spy angle is perfect for setting the 1960s theme. Then, and, oh boy, the sets start to overwhelm you. For those of you who are old enough to remember the Eichler homes in California, this film becomes eye candy. For those of you not architectually inclined Paul Lynde takes the cake.
Lynd in that dress is so freaking funny that I almost fell out of my chair. How funny that as early as 1966 Hollywood was joking about Lynde. He was so funny and it was no secret about his proclivities. It took years before mainstream America had a clue.
I recommend this film highly for anyone who would like to revisit an era more innocent than today and for anyone studying the Eames style of furniture and architecture.
Scott K Dolik

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Glass Bottom Boat
The Glass Bottom Boat by Frank Tashlin (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 24.95 CDN$ 21.99