5.0 out of 5 stars Better late then never
I fell in love with the music of "Phantom" when i bought my 1st Sarah Brightman cassete many years ago. I have waited these many years for the play to make it to film and at long last it has.
Published on May 5 2005 by J. Thompson

2.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity makes this film underwhelming
Published on April 29 2009 by killerwhaletank

5.0 out of 5 stars Better late then never, May 5 2005
J. Thompson (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
There will be many who grumple that "Webber" deliberatly delayed the making of this film to deny "Brightman" her film immortality in a movie adaptation of the greatest play and greatest music she has had or ever will have in her astonishing career. Maybe there is truth somewhere here a lingering bitterness of their failed marriage or what ever. I too would have liked to have seen the original Broadway cast reprise their roles on the big screen, but for whatever reason that window was closed forever.
However, that being said it in no way lessens the visual & audio impact of this new movie. Gerald Butler captures the essence of the troubled and lonely Phantom and his vocals of "music of the Night" and indeed throught out the movie leave nothing to be desired. Emmy Rossum is young , fresh and the perfect Christine. Her voice is true and crisp and she need never feel she failed to raise to the challange left her by Brightman, she met that challange head on and matched it beautifully. Her rendition of "wishing you were here" performed in the grey mist of a cemetary will reach down deep in anyone who loves good music well performed. Her duet with Patrick Wilson "say you'll love me" well it just dosen't get any better then that.
If you don't have your copy BUY IT you will never regret the purchase price. However, one cavet of advice buy it it "wide screen" NOT full screen for the sheer grandeur of the visual aspects of the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting!, May 26 2005
This review is from: The Phantom of the Opera (2-Disc Special Widescreen Edition) (Sous-titres français) [Import] (DVD)
I will never thank enough the person who gave me the DVD as a gift! As an avid fan of Gaston Leroux's work, I was a bit apprehensive regarding this version. I don't think I have ever been happier to be so utterly wrong! Patrick Watson (Raoul) is a delightful lyrical tenor and makes a great romantic lead, while Emmy Rossum is the definitive Christine (sorry Ms. Brightman, I adore you but Rossum was perfectly cast), she conveys the perfect mix of purity, youth and innocence and comes of age right before our eyes. Brilliant. But my main appreciation has to go to Gerard Butler (the Phantom), who makes us feel his pain very keenly. You empathize with him big time. I was totally blown away by his ability to convey so much emotion while signing. Whoever made the final decision to cast him instead of a trained singer deserves all my admiration. It was a gutsy move, but a very brilliant one. He delivered every single note to perfection in terms of emotion and of vocal performance. He creates the perfect contrast with Watson and Rossum (intense and passionate compared to lyrical and romantic). "The Point Of No Return" is a particularly poignant number. Supporting actors are also very well cast and provide an interesting comic relief to the drama that unfolds, particularly in the case of Minnie Driver, Ciaran Hinds and Simon Callow. I highly recommend this DVD to everyone. You don't even have to be crazy about musicals to appreciate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars No disappointments here, June 6 2005
Having seen the stage show in Toronto several times, I found myself hoping a film would be made that managed to capture the romance, excitement and drama of that excellent production. It was, therefore, with great anticipation that I watched this movie for the first time. To my delight, it met and even surpassed my highest expectations. The casting was inspired, and the producers managed to make the transition from theatre to big screen flawlessly, adding just minor embellishments that only enhanced the story.
I suppose some might say that the voice of Gerard Butler as the Phantom may not be quite as polished as those before him, but it has a raw, sensual edge to it that exudes all the passion and longing of that tortured soul. I enjoyed it so much, in fact, that I am adding the soundtrack to the Toronto cast recording CD that is already in my collection.
As I watched the DVD, excitement began to course through me, and I realized that half way through I was feeling the same emotions that I had in Toronto, once again thinking "I can hardly wait to come back." Indeed, I have come back many times since, and if I don't eventually wear out the DVD it won't be for trying.
I LOVE this movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars In dreams he came, Jan. 10 2009
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Phantom of the Opera (2004) (DVD)
Sumptuous, rich, lush and inviting. Like a gilt-edged dream, Joel Schumacher's "Phantom of the Opera" is a triumphant love note to beauty, song and scenery.

Adapted from Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical (and Gaston Leroux's novel), this movie ends up being beautiful in every scene, with solid acting and and a tragic antihero. The singing, the sumptuous sets, the acting -- all are the ingredients of a musical tour de force.

In 1870, a Paris opera house is under new management -- just as diva Carlotta (Minnie Driver, a glorious diva-from-hell) is almost killed by a stage curtain, and stomps out. Fortunately Christine Daae (Emmy Rossum), taught by a mystery tutor, can take over the soprano's role, and soon becomes famous for her singing. Even better, it catches the attention of her childhood sweetheart, Vicomte Raoul (Patrick Wilson).

But Raoul doesn't realize that Christine was taught by a disfigured, tortured genius who hides under the opera house. And the Phantom of the Opera is not only determined that Christine should be the star, but also be his wife. And he's willing to kill for it. Can Raoul break the Phantom's hold over Christine, or will she embrace "the music of the night"?

Watching this, it's hard to believe that it was directed by the same guy who did "Phone Booth" and the awful "Batman and Robin." Instead it looks as if the love child of Jean Cocteau and Peter Jackson decided to direct a musical, swathed in masks, roses, gilt angels, snow and velvet.

And it all wraps around Webber's solid songs ("Turn your face away from the garish light of day/turn your thoughts away from cold, unfeeling light/and listen to the music of the night!") from the stage musical. Most of the lines are sung, which surprisingly doesn't detract from their believability. And there's plenty of fun with the cameras, whether it's the dizzying views of the backstage, or a zoom through a stone floor to the Phantom's face.

Schumacher also adds a few extra scenes, including a sword fight between Raoul and the Phantom, which makes the vicomte seem more passionate; and a flashback to the Phantom's horrific childhood. What's more, the story is framed by scenes from forty years later -- sepia-toned scenes in the dusty remains of the Opera.

The three most prominent roles are what make or break this movie, and in this case, the casting is nearly ideal. Rossum has the ingenue looks -- and the powerful pipes -- to carry off the role of Christine, torn between her love and her passion. Similarly, Patrick Wilson gives some brains and strength to Raoul, and despite the romantic appeal of the Phantom, Raoul isn't hard to cheer for.

Gerard Butler is a bit more difficult. Most of the time his singing is solid, and his acting is powerful and tragic as the "loathsome gargoyle, who burns in hell, but secretly yearns for heaven." The scene where he tries to seduce Christine is deeply sensual. But occasionally his performance gets really hammy, such as the unmasking, where he flings himself around screaming, "You little prying Pandora! You little demon!"

Lush, exquisite and passionate, "The Phantom of the Opera" is a solid adaptation of Webber's musical, with good acting and excellent direction. A triumph for "the music of the night."

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, May 31 2005
Art Fanatic (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I LOVE this movie so much. I saw it in theatres twice, bought the special edition soundtrack, and now have added this movie to my collection. It is amazing! You probably already know the storyline. Gerard Butler plays the Phantom, Emmy Rossum plays Christine and Patrick Wilson plays Raoul. I think they all did a superb job, I love Gerard Butler as the Phantom. He has an edge to him that makes him a good phantom, and he is a good singer. It is hard to believe that Emmy Rossum was only 16 when she made this movie, she has the voice of an angel! Patrick Wilson plays a good knight on a white horse. In this movie, Raoul has a more prominent role, and actually IS a hero on a white horse. You get more of a sense of why Christine is so torn between these two men. In the play, Raoul wasn't that noticable!
On the second disc, there are some interesting tidbits. There is a history of the Phantom of the Opera itself. It mostly shows the London musical play though, which is disappointing. I admit, I did not watch all of it. There is also a Making Of Phantom of the Opera, the movie, which is really interesting. It's at least half an hour, and talks about all aspects of the movie including the dancing, costumes, sets, props, and actors. That is a really interesting bit. Thirdly there is a additional scene featuring the Phantom. It has Gerard Butler singing a version of "Learn to be Lonely", except personalized for the Phantom. It is an interesting scene, because it shows more of the phantom's lair, and an inside look at his world. It shows his sentimental side :) Also, some people may not have noticed, but below the scene there is another button you can highlight, and if you click it it opens a sing a long. You get the whole backstage crew and some of the cast singing The Phantom of the Opera. It is quite funny to watch!
All in all, this is a great addition to any Phantom Phan's collection. I hope this has been of help!

5.0 out of 5 stars mon film préféré, June 15 2013
Un film a posséder tant pour la musique que pour les images. C'est un de mes top 10 de films a écouter et ré-écouter souvent. Même la version francaise est bien réussie ou que ca ne parais pas dans le doublage!

5.0 out of 5 stars this one's haunting., April 11 2009
One of my favourite musicals. Gerard Butler is certainly no opera singer, but he plays the part so believably it just might put you in tears. I don't think I've ever sympathised with a villian so much in my life. Apparantly he was chosen in part for his "rock and roll voice" and he pulls it off quite well. Christine is amazing. the supporting cast is great, and the actual settings are beautiful. You only really get the actual movie with this purchase - ther are no fantastic special features or anything. But I think the movie is all you really need. I am so glad I bought this dvd!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have watched it several times and although he isn't a professional signer he certainly isn't the worst. It was his character t, Aug. 21 2014
I am a huge Gerard Butler fan and have seen him in so many action movies so I was quite surprised that in his earlier days he did this movie. I have watched it several times and although he isn't a professional signer he certainly isn't the worst. It was his character that I loved and the way her portrayed him. The music, the sets, everything was a feast for the eyes. I would recommend this movie to anyone although if you don't like opera or serious movies you may not like this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity makes this film underwhelming, April 29 2009
killerwhaletank - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I think this film was not everything it could have been, and therefore misses its mark. It was too much of a rehash of Weber's stage production and didn't capitalize on things that could have been expanded or done better on film. It tries a bit, but doesn't succeed. Film and stage are two completely different forms of media and should be treated that way. There are things you can do on the stage that you can't do on film, and lots of things you can do on film that you can't do on stage. This movie didn't seem to realize that and tried too hard to just reproduce Weber's stage production, which comes out flat on the Silver Screen. For example, the famous chandelier scene is spectacular when it happens live on the stage, but in the movie it's kind of ho-hum. Moviegoers see much bigger and better special effects than that on a regular basis.

I've seen this play live and been totally blown away by it (absolutely love the music, the stage, the cast, all of it... was absorbed in it from beginning to end). I read the book and loved it (even though it's significantly different--and better--than the play), but I have yet to see a movie version that satisfies me. There were periods in this movie where I was bored. The singing was too canned to capture me like it does on the stage.

The cast was good and bad. I thought Emmy Rossum was wonderful as Christine. Great voice and she really convey's Christine's innocence and naivety. The camera likes her. Gerard Butler was not a good choice for the Phantom, though. I love him to death as an actor, he definitely looked great on screen, and his singing is not bad, but the Phantom has to be more than "not bad" in the singing department. He's defined by his musical genius and his captivating voice which lures Christine. This was missing in Butler's performance and it's too key to the character to lose it. Plus his disfigurement at the end was pretty lame. That's the best they could do on the screen with all that movie makeup at their disposal??

Overall, an underwhelming production of the Phantom of the Opera. Not horrible, but take my advice and save this script for the live stage, you'll be awed by it there, not so much here.

2.0 out of 5 stars You can't win them all, June 3 2014
Steph (Brantford, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Christine and Raoul are great. The set is lovely. The phantom is terrible. Tell me, why pick a hunky actor to play the part of a man who spends his entire performance behind a mask??? Shouldn't the voice be the thing? Gaston Leroux's Opera Ghost would be horrified.

CDN$ 24.95 CDN$ 22.59