5.0 out of 5 stars Better late then never
I fell in love with the music of "Phantom" when i bought my 1st Sarah Brightman cassete many years ago. I have waited these many years for the play to make it to film and at long last it has.
Published on May 5 2005 by J. Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars A Worthy Effort.... but a lackluster Final Product
I love the Phantom, and since I saw it live a few years ago I thought I would give the film version a chance. So, I bought the bare-bones Full-Screen DVD and watched it. I was very impressed with the visuals, the score (of course) and the effects. But the casting was WAY off. Gerrard Butler is a terrible Phantom. He cannot sing, and I do applaud him for giving the role...
Published on April 17 2012 by Mahjong123

5.0 out of 5 stars Better late then never, May 5 2005
J. Thompson (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
There will be many who grumple that "Webber" deliberatly delayed the making of this film to deny "Brightman" her film immortality in a movie adaptation of the greatest play and greatest music she has had or ever will have in her astonishing career. Maybe there is truth somewhere here a lingering bitterness of their failed marriage or what ever. I too would have liked to have seen the original Broadway cast reprise their roles on the big screen, but for whatever reason that window was closed forever.
However, that being said it in no way lessens the visual & audio impact of this new movie. Gerald Butler captures the essence of the troubled and lonely Phantom and his vocals of "music of the Night" and indeed throught out the movie leave nothing to be desired. Emmy Rossum is young , fresh and the perfect Christine. Her voice is true and crisp and she need never feel she failed to raise to the challange left her by Brightman, she met that challange head on and matched it beautifully. Her rendition of "wishing you were here" performed in the grey mist of a cemetary will reach down deep in anyone who loves good music well performed. Her duet with Patrick Wilson "say you'll love me" well it just dosen't get any better then that.
If you don't have your copy BUY IT you will never regret the purchase price. However, one cavet of advice buy it it "wide screen" NOT full screen for the sheer grandeur of the visual aspects of the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting!, May 26 2005
This review is from: The Phantom of the Opera (2-Disc Special Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
I will never thank enough the person who gave me the DVD as a gift! As an avid fan of Gaston Leroux's work, I was a bit apprehensive regarding this version. I don't think I have ever been happier to be so utterly wrong! Patrick Watson (Raoul) is a delightful lyrical tenor and makes a great romantic lead, while Emmy Rossum is the definitive Christine (sorry Ms. Brightman, I adore you but Rossum was perfectly cast), she conveys the perfect mix of purity, youth and innocence and comes of age right before our eyes. Brilliant. But my main appreciation has to go to Gerard Butler (the Phantom), who makes us feel his pain very keenly. You empathize with him big time. I was totally blown away by his ability to convey so much emotion while signing. Whoever made the final decision to cast him instead of a trained singer deserves all my admiration. It was a gutsy move, but a very brilliant one. He delivered every single note to perfection in terms of emotion and of vocal performance. He creates the perfect contrast with Watson and Rossum (intense and passionate compared to lyrical and romantic). "The Point Of No Return" is a particularly poignant number. Supporting actors are also very well cast and provide an interesting comic relief to the drama that unfolds, particularly in the case of Minnie Driver, Ciaran Hinds and Simon Callow. I highly recommend this DVD to everyone. You don't even have to be crazy about musicals to appreciate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars No disappointments here, June 6 2005
Having seen the stage show in Toronto several times, I found myself hoping a film would be made that managed to capture the romance, excitement and drama of that excellent production. It was, therefore, with great anticipation that I watched this movie for the first time. To my delight, it met and even surpassed my highest expectations. The casting was inspired, and the producers managed to make the transition from theatre to big screen flawlessly, adding just minor embellishments that only enhanced the story.
I suppose some might say that the voice of Gerard Butler as the Phantom may not be quite as polished as those before him, but it has a raw, sensual edge to it that exudes all the passion and longing of that tortured soul. I enjoyed it so much, in fact, that I am adding the soundtrack to the Toronto cast recording CD that is already in my collection.
As I watched the DVD, excitement began to course through me, and I realized that half way through I was feeling the same emotions that I had in Toronto, once again thinking "I can hardly wait to come back." Indeed, I have come back many times since, and if I don't eventually wear out the DVD it won't be for trying.
I LOVE this movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, May 31 2005
Art Fanatic (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I LOVE this movie so much. I saw it in theatres twice, bought the special edition soundtrack, and now have added this movie to my collection. It is amazing! You probably already know the storyline. Gerard Butler plays the Phantom, Emmy Rossum plays Christine and Patrick Wilson plays Raoul. I think they all did a superb job, I love Gerard Butler as the Phantom. He has an edge to him that makes him a good phantom, and he is a good singer. It is hard to believe that Emmy Rossum was only 16 when she made this movie, she has the voice of an angel! Patrick Wilson plays a good knight on a white horse. In this movie, Raoul has a more prominent role, and actually IS a hero on a white horse. You get more of a sense of why Christine is so torn between these two men. In the play, Raoul wasn't that noticable!
On the second disc, there are some interesting tidbits. There is a history of the Phantom of the Opera itself. It mostly shows the London musical play though, which is disappointing. I admit, I did not watch all of it. There is also a Making Of Phantom of the Opera, the movie, which is really interesting. It's at least half an hour, and talks about all aspects of the movie including the dancing, costumes, sets, props, and actors. That is a really interesting bit. Thirdly there is a additional scene featuring the Phantom. It has Gerard Butler singing a version of "Learn to be Lonely", except personalized for the Phantom. It is an interesting scene, because it shows more of the phantom's lair, and an inside look at his world. It shows his sentimental side :) Also, some people may not have noticed, but below the scene there is another button you can highlight, and if you click it it opens a sing a long. You get the whole backstage crew and some of the cast singing The Phantom of the Opera. It is quite funny to watch!
All in all, this is a great addition to any Phantom Phan's collection. I hope this has been of help!

5.0 out of 5 stars mon film préféré, June 15 2013
Un film a posséder tant pour la musique que pour les images. C'est un de mes top 10 de films a écouter et ré-écouter souvent. Même la version francaise est bien réussie ou que ca ne parais pas dans le doublage!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have watched it several times and although he isn't a professional signer he certainly isn't the worst. It was his character t, Aug. 21 2014
I am a huge Gerard Butler fan and have seen him in so many action movies so I was quite surprised that in his earlier days he did this movie. I have watched it several times and although he isn't a professional signer he certainly isn't the worst. It was his character that I loved and the way her portrayed him. The music, the sets, everything was a feast for the eyes. I would recommend this movie to anyone although if you don't like opera or serious movies you may not like this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars You can't win them all, June 3 2014
Steph (Brantford, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Christine and Raoul are great. The set is lovely. The phantom is terrible. Tell me, why pick a hunky actor to play the part of a man who spends his entire performance behind a mask??? Shouldn't the voice be the thing? Gaston Leroux's Opera Ghost would be horrified.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a powerful, spellbinding and emotional film, May 8 2014
I loved this movie and cried through the phantom scenes. The powerful emotions brought through loss are well played by Gerry Butler and Emmy Rossum. Gerry's talent shines in his role as Erik, the Phantom of the Opera as he himself has lost a parent and I think the emotion comes through in his acting. I've watched other movies that he is in including 300, Olympus has Fallen, The Ugly Truth and The Bounty Hunter and I think Phantom of the Opera and Chasing Mavericks bring out hidden depths of what Gerry actually is. I didn't know he could sing but I thought the vocals throughout (except the first Carlotta) were fantastic and couldn't tear myself away. Patrick Wilson delivers an exceptional performance as Raoul and his singing with Emmy is fantastic. Supporting cast do a tremendous job of bringing a wonderful story to life. I've never seen this done in theater but I'd recommend it as a great movie - just keep a box of tissues handy!

4.0 out of 5 stars A nicely done movie, April 6 2014
The cast and acting is good. Saw the opera a few times in real, but years ago only when I watched this movie version, I felt it went much smoother and told the story in a more understandable and logical way. Decided to purchase the DVD for friends and myself. Singing could be a bit better, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cast!, Jan. 30 2014
Fantastic movie. Great acting and singing. Of course, wonderful songs! Great cast. Can't say enough about this film. Love it!

The Phantom of the Opera (2-Disc Special Widescreen Edition)
CDN$ 24.95 CDN$ 20.12