5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Stuff

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing after all these years
Published on Feb. 3 2010 by B. Tyndall

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing after all these years, Feb. 3 2010
B. Tyndall (Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm a big Procol Harum fan, but this one slipped under the radar for me when it came out in 75. I think by then they had pretty much fallen off the end of the charts and weren't getting any airplay in North America. As far as I can recall, I never heard it until the CD release arrived the other day, 35 years later. Well, I wasn't missing anything. Easily their worst effort, IMHO. It doesn't rock, which is a shame, and it has almost none of the melodrama stuff that sets them apart. I chalk it up to some sort of experiment gone bad, or maybe it was thrown together in a hurry to satisfy a contract commitment.

That's all fair enough, not everything you put out can be expected to be great. But I don't get why they would bother with the CD re-release. I feel a bit burnt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Stuff, Oct. 17 2011
I bought this because I loved and bought the single Pandora's Box when it came out in the 70s. I think I love it just as much if not more today, and it was a pleasure to finally get to hear the whole album (I couldn't afford to buy many albums when I was a child). I thought the whole album was impressive both lyrically and musically. I believe I will enjoy it over and over again. My husband was also impressed and being older than me is more familiar with their earlier albums than I am. In fact I like this better than Salty Dog! Don't bite me!

ARRAY(0xbf8f1d98)

Procol's Ninth
Procol's Ninth by Procol Harum (Audio CD - 2007)
Click for more info