5.0 out of 5 stars PROCOL MUSIC, SALVO'S REPACKAGING...A GREAT COMBINATION

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing after all these years
Published on Feb. 3 2010 by B. Tyndall

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing after all these years, Feb. 3 2010
B. Tyndall (Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm a big Procol Harum fan, but this one slipped under the radar for me when it came out in 75. I think by then they had pretty much fallen off the end of the charts and weren't getting any airplay in North America. As far as I can recall, I never heard it until the CD release arrived the other day, 35 years later. Well, I wasn't missing anything. Easily their worst effort, IMHO. It doesn't rock, which is a shame, and it has almost none of the melodrama stuff that sets them apart. I chalk it up to some sort of experiment gone bad, or maybe it was thrown together in a hurry to satisfy a contract commitment.

That's all fair enough, not everything you put out can be expected to be great. But I don't get why they would bother with the CD re-release. I feel a bit burnt.

5.0 out of 5 stars PROCOL MUSIC, SALVO'S REPACKAGING...A GREAT COMBINATION, April 27 2015
This was never my fave Procol album (their debut gets that award), but I still really like most of it. Tunes like 'The Unquiet Zone' - ones where the band gets to do their thing - versus the slower numbers (and cover of the Beatles' '8 Days a Week') are what appeal to me. Legendary songwriters Leiber & Stoller (Wiki them...a staggering list of iconic hits) were producers here and though they were regarded as heroes by Procol mainman Gary Brooker, were arguably out of their league. Still, their 'I Keep Forgetting' is one of the stronger tracks, with the band digging in and Brooker doing a great vocal, all of which serves to remind us that Procol was an R&B band (The Paramounts) prior to becoming what it became. So why 5 stars? Well, this is actually a 3.5 - 4 based on the music, but the remastering, the packaging, the booklet...well, there is no denying that they contribute to making this a far superior experience. Salvo is to be commended for the upgrade. The scary thing is, the Salvo versions have been out for a few years and some have become rather hard to find at decent prices. The debut album - great stuff - now fetches several hundred dollars (I found a used one in England for about $10.). So if you're a Procol fan and want these superior versions, you'd best act soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Stuff, Oct. 17 2011
I bought this because I loved and bought the single Pandora's Box when it came out in the 70s. I think I love it just as much if not more today, and it was a pleasure to finally get to hear the whole album (I couldn't afford to buy many albums when I was a child). I thought the whole album was impressive both lyrically and musically. I believe I will enjoy it over and over again. My husband was also impressed and being older than me is more familiar with their earlier albums than I am. In fact I like this better than Salty Dog! Don't bite me!

Procol's Ninth
Procol's Ninth by Procol Harum (Audio CD - 2007)
Click for more info