5.0 out of 5 stars Why You Should Run Out & Buy This CD Today!!!, July 26 2005
This review is from: Wikked Lil' Grrrls (Audio CD)
Wikked Lil' Grrrls is Esthero's third CD, but I am sure there are still some cool people out there that haven't heard her yet....and that is a shame.
Esthero has a fantastic voice and an even more amazing sound. Every song brings a different facet to this gem of an album. You'll find her voice similar to Pink's and Gwen Stefani's, and the sound is very similar to Telepopmusic, but she definitely has her own style. She is R&B, Jazzy, Electronica, Rock ,a little Pop and alot fantastic. Her sound will appeal to the masses - you can listen to this cd and keep asking "is this still the same cd" - you will never get bored of listening to it. But be sure to listen to the lyrics - she is brilliant!
I think Esthero is one of the hottest singers/songwriters to come out of Canada - watch out Celine and Alanis!! I tell everyone I know to go out and buy this cd (I've given it as a gift to many people - even overseas). I want Esthero to do well because I want to hear more from this Wikked Lil' Grrrl!
P.S. Esthero - if you are reading this call me - I'd love to hang with you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wikked, June 28 2005
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Wikked Lil' Grrrls (Audio CD)
Esthero is sure to win the hearts of disgruntled music fans everywhere, in the opening moments of her second album, "Wikked Lil' Grrrls." It opens with the announcement, "I'm so sick and tired/of the shit on the radio/on MTV they only play same thing/no matter where I go, I see Ashanti in the video/I want something MORE!" Well, who doesn't?

It takes a certain amount of guts and flair to successfully harpoon the flaws of the music industry, or to demand to know why "a grown-ass man can videotape a little girl/but we still see his mug up on our video screens." Alas, the rest of the album isn't quite as riveting or as bold. But the Toronto singer's jazzy-funky-trippy-retropoppy sound is colorful enough to keep listeners stuck there.

The songs after that tend to focus on sexy love, or on the loneliness of being betrayed romantically. That in itself isn't too exceptional -- what is exceptional is the sparkling trip-hop melodies, the catchy complexity, and the inclusion of piano, guitar, lots of horns and earthy, funky beats. They spice up what could have been a terribly ordinary pop album.

To grit things down, there's also some colorful rapping from Shakari Nite, Jemeni And Jeleestone, and some exceptional work in the swooning, funky "Junglebook" by Outkast's Andre 3000. The only one that doesn't work is a collaboration with Cee-lo Green, who sounds horribly out of place in a trippy ballad.

The songwriting is pretty good but not exceptional, though Esthero falls through in the occasional sour line like "would you let me lick you with alliteration and tie you up with similes?" Her husky voice makes up some of that lost ground, usually sticking to the jazz vocals, but sometimes shifting over to a sultry trip-pop style.

Esthero's "Wikked Lil' Grrrls" may not be the stuff of which musical revolutions are made, but it's a little rebellion all on its own. And a pretty funky, danceable one as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, June 29 2005
Jarin (Vancouver,Can ada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wikked Lil' Grrrls (Audio CD)
Well, I have had this CD for awhile, and now can finally review it as it has officially come out. It's incredible, Esthero is amazing and I love her to bits. I did buy a copy of this album, just because I want to support "Lil Dukes Up" in all her glory. This isn't another "Breath from Another" by any stretch. This is what I like to call "Dirty Jazz"...great horn sections, with kinky suggestive lyrics and a lot of style and excellence. Great guest vocalists, and some fabulous lines that just run through your head all day. I especially love "If Tha Mood" "Junglebook" "Wikked Lil' Grrrls" "Melancholy Melody" and "Fastlane". Seriously though, this whole CD is great, and I am glad that after a LONG wait, it was totally worth it. Get this CD!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars don't miss this one, June 29 2005
James Leeder (calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wikked Lil' Grrrls (Audio CD)
I have never heard anything quite like Esthero's latest offering. This album is one of the most entertaining and fullfilling albums that i have ever heard. it packs so much into one disc and the best part is that, even though all of the music is very different, it all seems to fit into a cohesive package that is accesible and fun. this music will have you at once shaking your ass and feeling contemplative about life. Do not miss this album!!!! It is fantastic!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The musical revolution has begun, Nov. 3 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Wikked Lil' Grrrls (Audio CD)
A wise person once told me that there is good music everywhere if you look for it. This is the most true statement ever said. You could go for middle-of-the-road mainstream music, but if you search, you'll find artists like the brilliant Esthero. The sultry songstress screams 'cool' and 'funky' and 'fresh'. She's sexy without being sleazy and vivacious without being showy. This CD is for everyone, no matter what your musical genre. It's really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back, Esthero!, Sept. 24 2005
C Y (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wikked Lil' Grrrls (Audio CD)
How long have I been waiting for this album? Yes, since 1998. Yes, this album is worth waiting for. Esthero, welcome back, we love you!

Wikked Lil' Grrrls
Wikked Lil' Grrrls by Esthero (Audio CD - 2005)
Click for more info