5.0 out of 5 stars Best music DVD period.
You owe it to yourself to own this DVD. I own about 50 music titles and have watched another 100. This one is by F-A-R, THE VERY BEST !

Picture quality is astonishing and finally a DTS track that actually sounds like DTS should always sound like.

This is a live show and I usually end turning down the volume for applauds, not this one, the applauds...
Published on Jan. 8 2004 by slydog

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of missing songs
The best song on this DVD is Joe Walsh`s "Help me through the night"...other wise this show is a bomb... I love the Eagles but they left so much off this DVD, I wanted to hear "best of my love"...nope, wanted to hear 'New kid in town", nope.... jesus, what songs did they do??? Don Henley solo matreial, what??????????????????????????????????? this...
Published on June 4 2004 by Dean Buffoni

‹ Previous | 1 2 327 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A REVIEW FROM A DIEHARD FAN, July 10 2003
By A Customer
My wife and I saw the Eagles in one of their Hell Freezes Over concerts in East Troy, Wisconsin a few years back. This by far was the greatest concert we've ever attended! They pumped out nearly 3 hours of non-stop music. I've watched the DVD and right off the bat I became annoyed with the constant fading in and out of the performers. Don't get me wrong the video is flawless and the lighting is great. There were many camera angles which added to the experience, but I just wished the producer's didn't fade in and out on the performers as much as they did. You don't get a chance to lock in on any one musician for more that 2 seconds or so. I, as others have stated, don't understand why the DVD wasn't released with Dolby 5.1. I don't have DTS, but probably will in the future, so I guess I don't feel cheated as do others and I knew going into the purchase that it didn't have Dolby 5.1. The sound is great even in the PCM stereo mode. All in all, this is an excellent DVD for any Eagle's fan collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ABSOLUTE "BENCHMARK" DVD concert !, April 25 2003
This review is from: Eagles,the Hell Freezes Over (DVD)
From the opening acoustic guitar solo and rhythmic beats of the bass drum, that leave no doubt you're listening to the haunting classic 'Hotel California,' this DVD is an absolute jewel! The Eagles have never sounded better than they do in this concert performance; and I'm speaking as a fan who jumped on this bandwagon before Joe Walsh joined the group. Most of their best classic tunes, from 'Take It Easy' to 'Desperado,' are included with a few soon-to-be classics thrown in for good measure. The production quality of this DVD is nothing short of exemplary. Those reviewers who tell you to measure all other DVD music videos by this one are not exaggerating. Every camera shot, lighting change, pluck of a cord, tickle of the ivories, and drum beat are exquisitely reproduced to the point that you'll think you're sitting in the first row (especially, if you're watching this on a bigscreen TV). Yes, the DTS audio is superb, but the DD encoding should not to be dismissed. The sound quality of both formats sets the bar in the stratosphere. I have yet to show this DVD video to any of my music lover friends who haven't asked where they can get a copy, and most have. Even my sweet old parents, who never knew an Eagle from a Doobie Brother had to have this DVD. Buy this DVD and you'll treasure it above all others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Constantly No. 1 Music DVD in Australia, Feb. 23 2003
'Hell Freezes Over' was recorded way back in 1994. The DVD however, didn't come out until much later, so fans quite happily listened to the normal CD of the concert ... not knowing that one day this fantastic concert would be safe and treasured on a DVD .... and for the lucky ones who did their homework, bought the DTS version. Even if you have the non-DTS version you can still enjoy this magic experience. What I love most about this album is Henley's incredible voice. On top of that, my all time favourite Eagles songs are here - Wasted Time, Pretty Maids, and the Final Resort. The Eagles album tracks have always been better than the singles, and they must know this too! That's why you'll hardly find many singles on this DVD.
Don Henley's voice is 100% perfect and I cannot rave enough about how clear it is! 'Wasted Time' is done so beautifully that it will send shivers right up your spine ... and you will get goosebumps for sure. And I almost cried when he did 'Last Resort' because it was so beautiful.
The DVD picture quality is amaazingly good considering its only video. Pity it's not widescreen, but the sound CERTAINLY makes up for it. For those who have DTS surround sound, I'm sure you will agree that this is the finest Music DVD out there. It's been out for nearly 2 years now, and it still sits at the No 1. spot on the Music DVD chart in Australia. For those who want an even sharper picture, order a copy from Australia because its been converted to PAL. And for those who are wondering whether to buy this - I can't recommend a DVD more. You will NEVER tire of this incredible experience. God bless the Eagles for bringing such a beautiful DVD to the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hell finally froze over!!, Feb. 21 2003
This is something many classic rock fans dreamed about for many years--the reunion of the Eagles. Then, finally, in 1994, it happened, and the result is this spectacular concert DVD (along with the album of the same title). The sound is absolutely fantastic, and the band is very impressive, definitely at the top of their game.
Most of the classics you and I have heard on the radio for so many years are present here, many performed with a little bit of extra kick that makes you remember why the Eagles were such a rockin' band in the first place. And the version of "Hotel California" is breathtaking, very well done. I bought the CD when it came out in '94, and am only now experiencing the DVD version. Needless to say, I'm very, very impressed, and will be buying it for myself very soon!
This is a DVD no Eagles fan should be without, and also one that will be an essential part of any Classic Rocker's collection. The Eagles still have it--and this is the next best thing to going to a concert (for those of us who can't afford it). Don't miss this DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Be Heard To Be Believed, Feb. 16 2003
I've heard almost every one of these songs on the radio just about every day for half of my life. Other than the flamenco-sounding intro to Hotel California, there is really nothing terribly new or unique about these performances. Years apart did not diminish the harmonies that these guys can produce, but neither did it seem to reignite any creative juices. So why the 5 star review? Simple- the songs that I hear on the radio, in the mall, on my CD player are not recorded in DTS sound. This concert is in DTS and before you think that's just a technogeeks obssession over barely noticeable sound differences, take a listen. The clarity, the separation of the voices and the instruments, all make this sound as good, if not better, than being in a concert hall. You will simply be blown away by the sound if this. Even if you don't like The Eagles or have managed to never have heard a note of these songs, you need still to hear this DVD to appreciate the full potential of the medium. And the performances of these classic if overplayed songs are top-notch. I would honestly stop listening to live CD recordings if this became the standard for all concert recordings. I hope that other artists follow suit...there is a difference between 5.1 and DTS, and it's full potential is realized in discs like this...
And be sure to listen to the audio-only version of Seven Bridges Road at the end of the disc. Turn it up and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is it boys and girls!, Jan. 29 2003
R. Banerjee (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This has to be the best sounding DVD I own. The sound is even better than Roger Waters' In The Flesh DVD, (also worth buying!), which was the best DVD I owned till Hell Freezes Over.
I'm sort of dissapointed now 'cos I feel I've heard the best 5.1 Digital DTS Surround sound on DVD and its not going to get any better for me.
A word of caution though, there is also a version of this concert in PCM Stereo only and the covers of both look too much alike. If you buy this DVD elsewhere be sure to check whether its the 5.1 DTS or the PCM Stereo. This release has both and the stereo mix is also fantastic.
The instruments really do sound ALIVE. I've always heard other people talk about how great a paticular DVD is and how the players are right there with them. Well, I've never been convinced till I heard this concert. Its almost eerie to be so close! A great deal of care seems to have gone into capturing the acoustic quality of the guitars and congas. I have never heard anything like it in my life. And probably never will!
The songs performed on this disc are very well performed. The Eagles seem refreshed and eager to play after their fourteen year vacation. There is a certain atmosphere, (almost a positive aura if you like!), around them. The fact that they are sitting down for most of the selections adds a relaxed feel and really sets the stage. The songs range from a brilliant version of Hotel California and ends with a bonus DTS audio only track of Seven Bridges Road with all five Eagles coming through the five seperate speakers - its mind-blowing.
I can't stress how great this DVD really is - you have to see for yourself. Even if its the last DVD you ever get, which it might 'cos other DVDs won't even come close.

4.0 out of 5 stars DTS makes up for a few less stellar moments., Dec 30 2002
Hell Freezes Over was my first DVD purchase. I purchased it on the recommendation that the DTS sound is incredible on this DVD. Also, I like a few of the Eagles' songs from hearing them on the radio. Despite the fact the bands formation pre-dates my birth by about 7 years, and that I like heavier and blues based rock; this DVD is a good buy for many reasons.
The Sound:
You have two choices with this DVD. PCM Stereo (good) or DTS Digital Surround (incredible!). The DTS surround on this DVD makes owning a DVD player and home audio system worth it. The mixing is excellent throughout, allowing you to be fully absorbed into the audience. Individual instruments come at you from where you'd expect in a live setting. This is very evident on Hotel California, and other multiple guitar songs, with a pronounced character coming from each instrument. Vocals are clear throughout, as well as bass and drums. Piano and organ sound great too.
I felt the guitar sound on Life In the Fast Lane was a little too quiet for me, it needed to be louder, and a few other songs as well, although tweaking my audio setup corrected it in some cases. As a guitarist myself, I want to be able to hear all the guitar work, but this may not be as important to others.
The Picture:
Excellent picture quality, some good camera work was going on as well. The stage design is simple, as to not take away from the performers. Lighting is good as well, in a subdued and calm way, nothing really crazy or flashy, but it works well for the mood of the concert.
The Songs:
I can't say I'm a die hard Eagles fan, or that I've listened to them for years. But the mix of songs seems good. This DVD had songs I reconized, but many I did not. For me it introduced some new songs and made me look at the Eagles as more of a country rock band instead of a classic rock band. There are a lot of country style songs here like Tequila Sunrise, The Girl From Yesterday, Desperado, Take It Easy, etc. On the DVD they play a few new songs, according to the band. A couple of them are ok.
I am not a fan of what you call country music, but these songs didn't overdo the country theme for me. They are quite mellow and enjoyable. I'm not going to list all the songs, but I'm sure most of these are considered classic Eagles.
A downside in my opinion, is Joe Walsh's voice. I think he's a great guitarist, but vocally he didn't sound very good at all in my opinion. That is one of the few less stellar moments...
Overall:
A good concert DVD with incredible sound. The band is not putting on a flashy, stylish show here, but they do much better; they let the music, their musicianship and good taste speak for itself. I am not a big country-rock fan, but this DVD succeded in opening my mind to the genre. I'm sure if I was a die hard Eagles fan I would have given it 5 stars and forgiven the little bits that made me give it 4 stars instead. Otherwise this DVD is great to impress friends with your surround sound speakers...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Eagles soar LIVE in DTS Sound!!!! AWESOME concert!!!!, March 3 2002
Dennis F. Towle (Hayward, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eagles,the Hell Freezes Over (DVD)
This reunion concert of The Eagles is a memorable event, from 1994, when the guys decided to get back together after many years apart. The opening song has a brilliant rearrangement in a deelectricfied set....Hotel California! The sound of the guitars' strings being plucked are crystal clear, in the incomparable DTS format, and after the synchronized guitar intro - Don Henley's voice hits his "On that dark desert highway...." notes superbly, with the center speaker solely devoted to him on this track! An incredible version of this classic song - which, of course, received favorable airplay on the radio! My favorite song: I Can't Tell You Why, has bassist Timothy B. Schmidt singing his lead vocals, dead on, to the 1979 studio recording....Glen Frey soothes the listener with his keyboard playing, on this one. Overall, this is The Eagles best concert recording, ever! I own the first 1999 DVD release of Hell Freezes Over, which happened to have the DTS audio! The sound on this disc is phenomenal....you'll have to hear it to believe it! I treasure this DVD of mine; I know you will too! Take It Easy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive! (even if you're not an Eagle's fan!), Feb. 22 2002
The other reviews have already said it: this is the most superb-sounding DVD available. I have no Eagles in my music collection and am not even that interested in their music yet:
1. Attention home theatre types: the fidelity of sound in DTS mode is the finest you'll find on any DVD at this time (Feb 2002) - this is the DVD to impress your friends with how great the sound can be on your home theatre.
2. The picture quality is amazingly sharp (I've been asked by friends if it was shot on HDTV - it wasn't but it looks that sharp).
3. It's assuredly composed and edited...which is much more than I can say for 99% of the concert videos out there. The cuts make sense, the angles aren't crazy or weird and the flow is excellent.
4. Finally, but not least, the band sounds (and even looks) every bit as good as they did 20 some years ago. Don Henley's voice in particular is completely "there" - he hits every high note and never falters.
I'm no fan but I am completely blown away by this DVD. As far as I'm concerned it sets a standard for all other concert DVD's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD-DTS, Dec 31 2001
Knife Guy (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
Having grown up with groups like The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd and The Stones, I had high expectations when I received this DVD from Santa. I was not disappointed. My only complaint was the DTS recording. If you do not have a DTS decoder, you only get a stereo signal. I was looking for a 5.1 audio presentation. Also, without a DTS decoder you cannot access the extra track-Seven Bridges Road.
Otherwise, the presentation is flawless. Following a long separation, The Eagles came together wonderfully for their Hell Freezes Over tour. These are 5 very gifted musicians that understand the difference between making music and making noise. There is such a loving presentation of their work, with the accompanying smiles on their faces, that you know they enjoyed the experience-as did I.
With a little research I found the non DTS version on Amazon. If you don't have DTS-consider the alternative. I can only imagine how this would sound in Dolby Digital 5.1 that I could decode. Pity.

‹ Previous | 1 2 327 | Next ›

The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over: Live 1994
The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over: Live 1994 by Beth McCarthy-Miller (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 33.99 CDN$ 21.95