5.0 out of 5 stars Great album
This has got to be my favourite hip-hop/alternative/whatever album of all time. Quality sampling, extremely clever guy. Just thought id throw my review in so that it could get yet another 5 stars because it deserves it. Not one bad song on it and 'hip hop sucks '96' explains it all....
Published on Jan. 18 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars ...not reinventing the wheel
Shadow falls victim of his own hype..I've read so many good things about this album that it would have been impossible for it to live up to mine, or anyone else's expectations. What I see is someone taking the best of what's already available, and creating a mixture of different styles, which is an achievement in itself..but def. not covering much new ground here. His...
Published on Nov. 21 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars SONG #10 IS TOO SHORT!!!, Dec 1 2003
D. Lee "dlatrell" (Jackson, MS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Endtroducing (Audio CD)
...But with that and the exorbitant price I paid for DJ Shadow's phenomenal "Endtroducing..." notwithstanding, I thouroughly enjoyed this CD from beginning to end. I have recently gotten hip to the "cut-n-paste" sounds, as masterfully done by Amon Tobin, but in DJ Shadow I find his sampling style a bit more consistent and less "noisy". Check out any Tobin CD and you'll see what I mean. Although I'm several years late getting "Endtroducing...", I find it just as up-to-date as most CDs I've bought this year, which attests to the quality of Shadow's music. Even in 96, he was obviously ahead of his time, and foresaw where the music of today was headed. "Endtroducing..." is indeed a classic in its own right, much like a Prince CD (before all of his name changes, of course)...no matter how old it gets, it will always be enjoyable to listen to. I won't go into details as to which songs I like on "Endtroducing...", because they all are excellent and well produced gems. I have only one small problem, though...SONG #10--WHY HIPHOP SUCKS IN 96--the funkiest groove I have ever heard--IS TOO DAMN SHORT!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars over the top, Nov. 19 2003
DarkSledge (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Endtroducing (Audio CD)
I must say this is one of my favorite albums that I own and I have over 300 cds. I really don't know what to say about this album though. It is different than anything out there. It highly recommend that you purchase this album, get some headphones, and sit or lay in a dark room and just take it all in. You will not be dissappointed by anymeans if you are a fan of music at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars What to say that hasn't been said..., Nov. 9 2003
This review is from: Endtroducing (Audio CD)
As a musician, I tend to look at music through a performer's "eyes": where's the song going? What's that instrumentation I hear? What's the story being told?
This album is simply one of the most melancholy, beautiful, trippy and soulful albums I've heard, ever. Period. For all the five-star reviewers here gushing, each song brings out certain emotions and memories and quickly associates itself with them. For some, it speaks to driving in Kansas City late at night, for others, makes them think of the NY waterfront. We each have our own special place we go to when we hear this music. For me, it's sitting on the cliff edges of Ireland, seagulls squawking above, waves crashing below, and Midnight in a Perfect World being... perfect.
This classic groundbreaker will make you rethink your ideas of hiphop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! DJ Shadow's a genius!, Nov. 9 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Endtroducing (Audio CD)
I bought this album a few days ago on my 13th birthday because I liked "Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt" and "Organ Donor". At first I didn't like it because a lot of it I found boring. It also made me angry that the Organ Donor song is only 2 minutes in lenght on mine! (The one I listened to on the internet was over 4 minutes long)I put it in the next day and I got it. It may not be the Orbital, Fatboy Slim type stuff that I usually listen to but it isn't supposed to be. I got it in the Dance/Electronica section of the local record store...so it is a bit misleading. Dance? No way. It's very different and extremely hard to classify. I would say...Trip-Hop/Jazz/Electronica/Hip Hop/Soul.
So overall:
PROS:
Very moving
Nicely mellow
Great variation of songs
Often funny
CONS:
Seems kind of short
Some filler "tracks" like 6 and "Why Hip-Hop Sucks in '96" which are somewhat annoying.
Organ Donor is WAY too short!
Best tracks:
Building Steam
Stem/Long Stem
Changeling
Midnight in a Perfect World
Organ Donor
-Also I have the "Mo Wax" label, and it says "Mu Wax" on the back in really small print when it should say "Mo Wax"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably moving..., Oct. 21 2003
A. Ort "aorto" (Youngstown, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Endtroducing (Audio CD)
I first learned of DJ Shadow after hunting down the single used in the film Dark Days. Having heard it in the movie it really set the tone. I next encountered DJ Shadow in the movie Scratch. This is a guy who loves music, loves vinyl and know how to eek something else from layering samples together to create something new.
Like all good artists, he weaves them into a tapestry rather than just putting together a bunch of samples to a beat. There are so many different styles of music and spoken word that it is difficult to categorize.
I find myself brooding and contemplating and easing into a comfortable melancholy while listening to this. He has something to say and he has found a way of saying it that is truly spectacular. Endtroducing should give some credibility to those who deem such sampling as lacking creativity. Awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this CD., Sept. 29 2003
Darius Jackson "Action Jackson" (Rocklin, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Endtroducing (Audio CD)
I've owned this CD for about a year and half now, and it's still one of my favorite CD's I listen too - I have it in rotation right after Bazooka Tooth.
It's so dark - It's so listenable. I mean, you don't even have to like DJ or Hip-Hop music at all - But somehow, this CD will touch you. I let my dad listen to it, (he hates anything to do with hip-hop or techno) and he even appreciated it.
This is music to the ears... anyone can get down to this CD, and his newest one (private press) is even better, in my opinion.
Excellent CD. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just my favorite DJ savior..., Sept. 10 2003
This review is from: Endtroducing (Audio CD)
Is the world going awry when hip-hop, a predominantly black musical genre, is invaded by whites? Eminem is the most captivating MC today, but back in '96, a white DJ stole everyone's thunder with a brilliant, symphonic album consisting entirely of samples. It's not as haphazard as it sounds; Shadow took piano lines, thunderous drums, guitars, surreal spoken-word pieces and mad scratches, put them all together in a way that shouldn't work (but somehow does) and made hip-hop seem expansive again. It's a testament to a man's genius when he can take cheesy old horror movie dialogue and make it seem timeless. It has been six years now since this gem was released to critical adoration reserved for the likes of Jesus and whatnot, and it seems not a day older. Classical music for the 21st century.

5.0 out of 5 stars just your dj savior.........., Aug. 24 2003
This review is from: Endtroducing (Audio CD)
one word...UNBELIEVABLE. although not the newest of dj shadows "cut chemistry" this certainly sugar-coats that dj shadow is YOUR DJ SAVIOR.awesome and relaxing at the same time. dj shadows starts out w/ a lil mix-introduction on who he is...just your dj savior. and then the ghostly and melodic tunes of "BUILDING STEAM WITH A GRAIN OF SALT" start off the cd with a good hitch and NEVER STOPS and continues on thru a feel-good song "midnight in a perfect world". 13 songs of unbelievable talent all in this cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing CD, July 16 2003
Kim O'Brien (Warrenton, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Endtroducing (Audio CD)
Listen to this CD once and you are hooked. The beats, combined with the instrumentals are absolutely unlike anything else I have ever heard before. This is by far, one of the best CD's I have ever owened.

5.0 out of 5 stars Endtroducing, July 12 2003
10ma (Terre Haute, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Endtroducing (Audio CD)
Josh Davis, a.k.a. DJ Shadow is known on both hip hop and electronic music fronts. His legendary CD 'Endtroducing' is as well known as some of Aphex Twins and Autechres. It truly exemplifies the whole downbeat genre. Most people cant talk about dj shadow without talking about Endtroducing simply because there is such beauty in the songs on the album. I suppose it even gets amplified because some of the tracks, name "Midnight In A Perfect World" and "Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt" has a touch of nostalgia when I was first truly exploring the electronic music scene.
The beats can range from breakbeat to, as mentioned earlier, the most comfortable mood for downbeat. Some tracks would fit well in a lounge, while others at a party in someone's New york loft.

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

Entroducing... (Dlx Ed)
Entroducing... (Dlx Ed) by DJ Shadow (Audio CD - 2005)