5.0 out of 5 stars Wow
For the first 20 minutes of this film, I thought, "Oh no, this is going to be one of those dark, gloomy Dickens tales," and I almost gave up on it. I'm so glad I didn't, because before long I was glued to the screen, and it stayed with me for days after seeing it. Beautifully acted, masterfully directed, it's a gem and now ranks as one of my favourite films of all time.
Published on Feb. 27 2008 by Jane Esquivel

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too dark
British programs are always good no matter what but this one is
a bit dark but still quite good.
Video quality is poor, too dark all the way through
Published 10 months ago by Jeni Calder

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, Feb. 27 2008
Jane Esquivel (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hidden BBC Gem, Jan. 28 2008
This review is from: Our Mutual Friend (DVD)
I have been systematically working through many of the wonderful period dramas that the BBC has to offer and I was pleasantly surprised by their version of "Our Mutual Friend", which was Charles Dickens's last novel (and, dare I say, one of his best). There are many interesting plotlines that are all connected to each other through the "mutual friend", John Harmon (subtly yet beautifully played by Steven Mackintosh). All of the actors are somewhat lesser known, but I believe that this only enhances their performances, making them able to become fully immersed in their respective characters. I especially loved the romantic story that developed between Bella (a young Anna Friel at her feisty best) and John, as well as Keeley Hawes' portrayal as a poor working-class girl. Overall it was a wonderful adaptation, providing social commentary on Victorian England, romance, mystery, and danger, with characters that you can't resist falling in love with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Rendered, Sept. 8 2006
This review is from: Our Mutual Friend (DVD)
I got this DVD in a box set and, not knowing the story (mea culpa), I watched all the others and kept this one for a long rainy week-end. Why didn't it pour before? It was the best of the lot! I was completely taken by this story! Need I say I got the book and read it with sheer delight? This story is fantastic, the dialogues are clever and the acting is really first-rate. Particularly worth mentioning is Anna Friel. She is spot-on and so believeable in this part that you'd think it had been written (by Dickens himself) especially for her. One must not forget the very touching Stephen Mackintosh. This man is able to convey so much with a single look, and he has that rare quality: he makes you care even before the plot unfolds and you understand what motivates his character to act a certain way. I've been watching it many times over since my first viewing, and I always see something new because all the other characthers are so well portrayed (no big names, only incredibly good actors, that's what I love about the BBC, they'd rather have an unknown who is perfectly cast rather than a miscast star just to "get the ratings").

5.0 out of 5 stars by alta, May 10 2010
A. Taylor - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Mutual Friend (DVD)
This movie is unforgetable. The plot is intense, the romance is a pleasure and the acting is superb! I highly recommend this for anyone who values an extremely well done period drama.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brit Lit TV, Feb. 26 2014
This review is from: Our Mutual Friend (DVD)
Once again the Brits come through with a quality Dickens! This production is most memorable for its considerable array of character parts all ably portrayed from Britain's considerable stable of fine character actors. As the revue says 19th C London is also a character of this tale and we can positively smell the smog, feel the ooze of the Thames mud, and experience a time now long gone. One of my favourite Dickens renderings.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, Nov. 26 2013
This review is from: Our Mutual Friend (DVD)
I enjoyed this movie very much. The quality is great for not being Blue-ray. I like anything BBC puts out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Class Dickens, Aug. 28 2013
This review is from: Our Mutual Friend (DVD)
If you love to lose yourself for a few hours in a great story with great acting then you can't beat this really. It's great. The Brits are the best actors in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, Aug. 12 2013
This review is from: Our Mutual Friend (DVD)
The production was perfect and perfectly cast, and the
DVD quality was excellent. Charles Dickens certainly
knew how to weave a tale that included the underbelly
of society. I loved every minute and was sorry when it
ended.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too dark, June 15 2013
British programs are always good no matter what but this one is
a bit dark but still quite good.
Video quality is poor, too dark all the way through

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, March 20 2013
This review is from: Our Mutual Friend (DVD)
It is long, but it is well worth it to buy..... Great storyline and you really get involved with all the characters

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xbeb8172c)

Our Mutual Friend
Our Mutual Friend by Paul McGann (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 18.74 CDN$ 11.49