5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY! Loretta on DVD
I remember being 10 years old and seeing this movie in the theater. Every time it came on TV I watched it. When we got a VCR, I retaped it every time it played just to have a fresh copy. I owned the VHS and now FINALLY after all these years, I have it on DVD.
Published on May 31 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Coal Miners Daughter
I had bought this movie because I remembered watching it when I was younger. When I re-watched it, it definitely wasn't what I remember. Interesting life that Loretta Lynn went through, but not exactly my first choice movie to watch on a movie night.
Published 28 days ago by Brittany

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY! Loretta on DVD, May 31 2004
By A Customer
This is one of the best movies ever made. The acting was so real it was amazing. I never thought of the characters as Sissy and Tommy Lee, I always thought of them as Loretta and Doo. It's one of the string of "Biography" movies to come out, like La Bamba, Sweet Dreams and The Buddy Holly Story.
The music. 'nuff said! The performances are just incredible. The old Grand Ole Opry gang was still alive and they were in the picture such as Ernest Tubb, Minnie Pearl, & Roy Acuff. Of course, Loretta... I mean Sissy's performances were stellar. In the DVD bonus interview with Loretta, she said that she taught Sissy how to play and sing her songs. And boy did she do a good job! All the way from the nervous but cute Loretta in the honky tonk singing "There He Goes" to the lovely queen of country music singing "Coal Miner's Daughter", the sound of her voice and the music perfectly imitates Loretta.
Someone said that they wanted a 5.1 soundtrack to the movie. Well... the movie was recorded in stereo. The country songs in the movie for the most part were in glorious 1950s one-speaker mono to give that authentic 1950s country sound. It plays mostly through the center channel and that's good enough.
The bonus materials also show Loretta's Coal Miner's Daughter museum. It houses alot of pieces from her past as well as alot of stuff from the movie. It will be interesting to go actually see this and be able to see it in person.
If you love CMD, get this DVD! If you haven't seen it yet, what are you waiting for? DO IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Movie Biography, Jan. 27 2004
Lonnie E. Holder "The Review's the Thing" (Columbus, Indiana, United States) - See all my reviews
Some movies are so excellent that words are insufficient to describe that excellence. Such is the case with "Coal Miner's Daughter," a movie that relies on an effectively told story of Loretta Lynn to carry the film rather than flashy special effects and action. The script is brought to life by the incredible talents of the actors, most especially Sissy Spacek, in one of the best performances of her career.
"Coal Miner's Daughter" spans the era from the late 1940s to the early 70s, focusing principally on Loretta Lynn from age 13 to her rise to fame as the best-selling female country artist. It's easy to look at Loretta's early life as an artifact of some ancient time, but in fact Loretta's life and the life of her family was quite typical in some rural areas in The United States in that era, and many of us are the children or grandchildren of similar families. This movie is thus not only the story Loretta Lynn, but is also the story of many Americans.
Sissy Spacek sang all the songs for the movie, which is available on CD. Sissy received an Oscar for Best Actress for her role as Loretta Lynn, the only Oscar awarded to the film of the seven nominations. Sissy sounds so incredibly like Loretta Lynn that sometimes I find it difficult to know whether a Loretta Lynn CD or the movie soundtrack is playing. Sissy's phenomenal acting talent made her Loretta Lynn.
Sissy was well supported in her role by other excellent talents. The multi-talented Tommy Lee Jones played the part of Loretta's philandering husband Mooney Dolittle. Tommy Lee played the role very well within the limits of the screenplay. My only complaint is that I felt that Mooney was portrayed in a much milder way than his actual personality. I believe most viewers will perceive traits in Tommy Lee's character that are indications of the real Mooney.
Beverly D'Angelo is outstanding as brash and outgoing Patsy Cline, for a time Loretta's idol, best friend and mentor in the country music world. Patsy had a lot of influence on how naïve Loretta perceived the world and how she reacted to things. Beverly sang Patsy's songs and matched Sissy in the quality of her performance.
Also appearing in this movie were Levon Helm and Phyllis Boyens as Loretta's parents. I read that Loretta was shocked by the appearance of Levon Helm in his makeup and clothes because he looked so much like her father. This couple in role could have easily been the models for the picture "American Gothic." Another appearance worthy of note was that of Earnest Tubb as himself.
Loretta Lynn's story is such a grand story because she exemplifies the dream we all have of making our way in the world. Loretta's father was, as the title suggests, a coal miner. Coal mining is a difficult, dirty job with a lot of risk. During the time of Loretta's youth coal miners would typically get their paycheck and then go to the company store to buy food and pay their debt. In many ways working for a mine in those times was nearly like slavery or indentured servitude. Mooney and Loretta escape by first traveling to the west coast, and ultimately by capitalizing on Loretta's abilities as a singer and songwriter. Ultimately Loretta became a multi-millionaire with a wide range of business interests. This movie presents a rags-to-riches story to inspire us all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this DVD!, Jan. 3 2011
This is such a beautiful story of how Loretta Lynn grew up to be the star she is today. This is by far the best biographical movie of all-time! Would highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loretta Lynn's Unforgetable Story, Oct. 4 2003
K. G. Buchanan "mystery maiden" (California) - See all my reviews
This dvd reminds you why we all love Loretta Lynn. It is the extraordinary story of an individual who went from rags to riches and never forgot her roots. The screen version of Loretta Lynn comes to life with Sissy's portrayal. She makes you forget it is a movie and instead you feel like you are just spending some time with Loretta Lynn. This movie is a part of the tapestry of Country Music, and it is a vibrant thread. One of Tonmmy Lee Jones' first big movies, and he shines in it. Extras include an excellent interview with the first lady of country music Loretta Lynn. This is a must have for any true country fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Country Bio Picture Ever Made .Loretta is the QUEEN !, Nov. 18 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Coal Miners Daughter (VHS Tape)
I never grow tired of this movie. I have seen it over 100 times since it was released in 1980.I own it on laser disc,VHS and hope to find it on DVD. Sissy Spacek did a outstanding job playing the "Queen Of Country Music," Loretta Lynn. She more than earned the Oscar & golden globe awards show won. The soundtrack album is also a winner ! Everyone cast in this film was perfect. This film received 7 Academy Award nominations includeing BEST PICTURE. Loretta Lynn is still going strong 20 years after this movie was released. I seen her in concert recently and she still rules as the "QUEEN." I look foward to a sequal to this all time favorite film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Coal Miners Daughter, March 20 2014
Brittany (wainwright, ab, canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coal Miner's Daughter (25th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars great story, Feb. 3 2014
Even if you are not into country music, this is a great story. Spacek and D'Angelo do an awesome job of singing all the songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars This should be in COLOR, Dec 26 2012
The Movie is great but it would be much better if it had been in Color. I would order it again if there was a coloured version with the same actors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome movie,awesome deal, Nov. 27 2012
i bought this movie for my daughter as she has been searching everywhere for it,she was so happy as this is her fav movie of all time.We have rewatched it twice already.

4.0 out of 5 stars review, Oct. 15 2012
The shipping was great, it arrived on the estimated date. Something a little odd about the product though, the dvd case does not match the dvd box. The box is a 100th anniversary, i slid the case out of the box and it was 25th anniversary case. The box had the year 2012 and the case had 2006. I dont have a problem with that, but some people may. Im just happy i finally found this movie, was never able to find it stores.

ARRAY(0xa7b80e1c)

Coal Miner's Daughter (25th Anniversary Edition)
CDN$ 19.43