5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!
My theater class and I saw this after I finished reading the play TWELFTH NIGHT, and I must say, it kept to the script really well. But the depth that it had was great- when I read the play, it was kind of like 'Hmmm... okay, this is cool, love triangles!' And then it skipped to the servant scenes and I started racing through those to get to the, I supposed, 'better'...
Published on May 19 2004 by Theatre Kidd

3.0 out of 5 stars An Inch Away From Ruination
Published on Nov. 30 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Shakespearean comedies done for film, June 6 2003
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
Trevor Nunn's Twelfth Night sits up on the same pedestal as Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing. Not a suprise, either, given that both films came out of Branagh's Renaissance Films. Reset in the Victorian era, Nunn maintains the delicate balance of comedy and drama (much like Much Ado), carried out in one amazing cast. Nunn does a wonderful job of keeping most of Shakespeare's comedy in-tact, editing only when neccessary to appease a film audience (most noticeable in Viola's famous "I left no ring with her" monologue being broken up throughout the film).
No member disappoints and each one excels in their own right. Helena Bonham Carter, queen of period films, plays an astounding Olivia with excellent timing. Imogen Stubbs, whom I've only seen play a small role in Sense and Sensibility, exceeds all expectations set for her in the role of Viola. And Ben Kingsley (yes, Ghandi), reminds us of his Royal Shakespeare Company roots as a multi-dimensional Feste.
The score, unhappily available on CD (albeit Kingley's "The Wind and the Rain" is available on the CD collection "If Music Be the Food of Love: Shakespeare at the Movies"), is breathtaking and well-done, particularly for a play that includes so much music as a stage performance. It corrolates perfectly with the lush settings (often involving romantic sea-scapes and Victorian manor houses) and costumes.
Perhaps the biggest disappointment about this film is that it's not available on DVD. However, it alone is reason enough for me to keep my VCR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twelfth Night deserves one star per night!, April 6 2003
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
This is one of the most imaginative interpretations of Shakespeare (or perhaps anything) I've ever seen. Although I have read the play numerous times, I never would have thought of doing it this way. The story was fleshed out even more than Shakespeare did to begin with, and was made to seem modern and old-fashioned all at the same time. Director Trevor Nunn did a wonderful job with this film (but of course he also formed the Royal Shakespeare Company, so what else would one expect?) :-)
Although each member of the cast does a great job, a few must be mentioned individually. Imogen Stubbs proves to have an amazing amount of talent and versatility in the complicated role of Viola/Cesario. Nigel Hawthorne is terrific as Malvolio, particularly in one hilarious moment where he tries to smile - something at which he is not too practised. Helena Bonham Carter makes a very appealing Olivia. Ben Kingsley is absolutely wonderful, and extremely expressive, as Feste the fool.
TWELFTH NIGHT is a film that is definitely worth watching over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Midsummer Madness tinged with Green and Yellow Melancholy, Nov. 30 2002
Suzette Mariotti "Auntzette" (Royal Oak, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
This film is definitely among the finest adaptations of Shakespeare to film ever made. The Bard's characters are revealed, enhanced, fleshed out by their surroundings and judicious editing.
One of the major themes, the nature of identity and gender identity in particular, is brought out vividly by the Victorian time period; We see that it's no small matter for Viola to shed her feminine clothes and training to act like a man, or for Olivia to be the head of her household. Imogen Stubbs is real and endearing as we see her as Viola/Cesario, concealing so much of her self to so many.
Trevor Nunn's directing is superb, especially when he intercuts between the original scenes to compare Orsino and Cesario here, Maria, Sir Toby and Aguecheek there. Putting the two parts up against one another tells us a lot about what the Bard had to say about our own inner conflicts, and how much of those is healthy to share with the world. Purists may argue that the orginal order is monkeyed with. Myself, I've often thought that Shakespeare himself would have presented it much the same way if he'd had the benefit of film and editing.
The film's a visual treat too - both lush and stark landscapes, Olivia's estate a wonderland autumn setting.
My only bone to pick with the production is that it still is not released on Region 1 DVD. My videotape is wearing out from use.
An absolute must see.

5.0 out of 5 stars For a 16th Birthday, the best gift of them all., April 12 2002
"pikopengi" (Woodstock, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
I had borrowed the book "Twelfth Night" from my school's library. I am in 10th grade and I go to Sequoyah High School in Georgia. I must say, at first I really just got it because it gave a review in my Lit book when we were reading Julius Caesar, and it looked interesting. However, once I had read the book, I fell in love with the characters. I couldn't wait to read it again, which I did, a few times actually.I was 15 at the time, and once I heard there was a MOVIE of the book, I begged and pleaded until my father finally rented it from Blockbuster. While watching it, I thought I was in heaven...it was wonderful! It followed the book so well, barely changing a thing! It did take out a funny joke, about caper and mutton, but I could overlook that little thing. Anywho, once my birthday rolled along, I just had to get it...and my dear uncle actually bought it! I was so happy, it being by far the best gift I had gotten...aside from the car.I give this movie 5 stars, even if I haven't had as much experience in reviews, I know it deserves it. I love all Shakespeare's plays, but this one takes the cake.

3.0 out of 5 stars An Inch Away From Ruination, Nov. 30 2003
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
I was greatly disappointed by this, Trevor Nunn's attempt at a film of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, or What You Will. If you are a true Shakespeare fan, you probably will feel the same. The acting is certainly a treat, especially during scenes with Imogen Stubbs and Toby Stephens playing off of each other as Viola and Orsino respectively, Mel Smith as Sir Toby under the influence, the hilarious facial expressions of Ben Kingsley as Feste, and the always-wonderful Helena Bonham Carter as the ornery Lady Olivia. However, in he area of comedy, this film falls tragically short. Scenes and characters of great comic potential are made into deep dark messes. This is most painfully obvious in the character of Maria, a maid in Olivia's household who is quite taken by Sir Toby. What should be a saucy and strong character is reduced to a mushy and gushy ball of tears, suffering from her unrequited love for Toby, something that Nunn foolishly created (the original play called for an affair between the maid and the noblman). In another instance, the imprisonment of Malvolio, written by Shakespeare to be a comedic event, is shown here to be something sinister. Luckily, enough of the comedy is preserved to make it tolerable. See it to get an idea of the story, but not if Twelfth Night is a story you already know and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revenge is Sweet, Jan. 22 2004
~*Leasha*~ (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
When i first watched this movie I fell in love with it! First of all, the Duke Orsino (Toby Stephens) Looks really good in this movie, and second of all.. ITS BASED ON A SHAKESPEARE PLAY! Yet, Even so, the acting in this movie was beautiful. Everyone did a SUPERB job with the making of this film, and I just loved it!
Throughout the whole film it just seemed so passionate. Oh and did I mention there's sword fights? Fist Fights? Actual vengeance? And most of this film stays true to the actual Shakespearean play. This is such a good movie, I'm not going to give any of it away, you all have to see it for yourselves! TRUST ME... GREAT MOVIE! If you like the play, You'll LOVE the movie.. REVENGE IS SWEET in TWELFTH NIGHT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's kiss it once and twenty...., Feb. 7 2003
Susan E. Neill (Alexandria, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
Shakespeare "experts" will beg to differ, but Trevor Nunn has done 12th Night as it was meant to be done: witty and funny and manic, of course, but also wistful and melancholy. Orsino and Olivia make fools of themselves as they pine away in self-absorption, while Sir Toby and Aguecheek reek havoc, with help from Feste and Maria, in pathetic attempts to hold on to youth that's already passed them by. Feste is the soul of the show, and it's hard to imagine anyone doing Feste better than Ben Kingsley.
The setting (filmed in Cornwall) is breathtaking, the music unforgetable and the acting fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Adaptation, Dec 25 2003
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
This is a very tolerable incarnation of Shakespeare's most well-known comedies.
It was rather boring for around the first half an hour, but then it started getting funny. Some of the characters aren't quite what they are like in the play, but it doesn't really hurt it at all.
The acting quality ranges from descent to good, and I think Helena Bonham Carter did a splended job as Olivia.
The timeframe was put forewards around 200 years, but it didn't hurt any.
Overall, I think that it is a good production and worth seeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, Dec 26 2012
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (DVD)
This was the first Shakespeare play that I watched live. The actors brought it to life and I fell in love with William Shakespeare on the spot.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED it!, March 9 2003
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
See this film if you like Shakespeare, excellent acting and the Victorian era. I had to watch it twice in a row! Imogen Stubbs was superb! It was funny, romantic and beautiful. (sigh)
My only dismay is in the fact that it is not offered in DVD!

Twelfth Night [Import]
Twelfth Night [Import] by Trevor Nunn (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 126.16