5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!
My theater class and I saw this after I finished reading the play TWELFTH NIGHT, and I must say, it kept to the script really well. But the depth that it had was great- when I read the play, it was kind of like 'Hmmm... okay, this is cool, love triangles!' And then it skipped to the servant scenes and I started racing through those to get to the, I supposed, 'better'...
Published on May 19 2004 by Theatre Kidd

3.0 out of 5 stars An Inch Away From Ruination
I was greatly disappointed by this, Trevor Nunn's attempt at a film of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, or What You Will. If you are a true Shakespeare fan, you probably will feel the same. The acting is certainly a treat, especially during scenes with Imogen Stubbs and Toby Stephens playing off of each other as Viola and Orsino respectively, Mel Smith as Sir Toby under the...
Published on Nov. 30 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Revenge is Sweet, Jan. 22 2004
~*Leasha*~ (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
When i first watched this movie I fell in love with it! First of all, the Duke Orsino (Toby Stephens) Looks really good in this movie, and second of all.. ITS BASED ON A SHAKESPEARE PLAY! Yet, Even so, the acting in this movie was beautiful. Everyone did a SUPERB job with the making of this film, and I just loved it!
Throughout the whole film it just seemed so passionate. Oh and did I mention there's sword fights? Fist Fights? Actual vengeance? And most of this film stays true to the actual Shakespearean play. This is such a good movie, I'm not going to give any of it away, you all have to see it for yourselves! TRUST ME... GREAT MOVIE! If you like the play, You'll LOVE the movie.. REVENGE IS SWEET in TWELFTH NIGHT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Splendid Rendition of Shakespeare's Greatest Comedy, Dec 26 2003
Sir Toby Belch (The Countess Olivia's Castle in Illyria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
This play was spectacular. The acting was suberb. Helena Bonhom-Carter's perfromance as Olivia, Ben Kingsley's performance as Feste, and Mel Smith's hilarious performance of Sir Toby *Belch*:) were especially good. I had seen Helena Bonhom-Carter in Hamlet as Ophelia, but her role as Olivia surpassed even that. It was boring the first half-hour, and I didn't want to finish it, but I kept watching and loved it. Bwn Kingsley's singing especially was fantastic, and, although they modernized it about two hundred years, it really worked, especially when Orsiono's soldiers were chasing Antonio through the streets, shooting at him with their rifles. And the fight between Viola and Sir Andrew Aguecheek was hilarious. However, the events surrounding Malvolio's imprisonment were supposed to be comical, as was his release from prison. However, they made it seem malicious, which I didn't take to very well. ALl in all, though, it was a great movie, and an excellent adaptation of a classic play, and I heartily recommend that you see it.
When that I was and a little tiny boy
With hey ho, the wind and the rain,
A foolish thing was but a toy,
For the rain it raineth every day.
But when I came to man's estate
With hey ho, the wind and the rain,
'Gainst knaves and thieves men shut their gates
For the rain it raineth every day.
But when I came, alas, to wive
With hey ho, the wind and the rain,
By swaggering could I never thrive
For the rain it raineth every day.
But when I came unto my beds
With hey ho, the wind and the rain,
With tosspots still had drunken heads
For the rain it raineth every day.
A while ago the world begun
With hey ho, the wind and the rain.
But that's all one, our play is done,
And we'll strive to please you every day.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Adaptation, Dec 25 2003
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
This is a very tolerable incarnation of Shakespeare's most well-known comedies.
It was rather boring for around the first half an hour, but then it started getting funny. Some of the characters aren't quite what they are like in the play, but it doesn't really hurt it at all.
The acting quality ranges from descent to good, and I think Helena Bonham Carter did a splended job as Olivia.
The timeframe was put forewards around 200 years, but it didn't hurt any.
Overall, I think that it is a good production and worth seeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A movie you can watch again and again, Nov. 28 2003
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
Wonderful acting. And successful editing. The play has been rearranged, but unlike most attempts to change the Bard's work, this works very well. Luckily, I live in a region two area and can get this on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the play first, Nov. 13 2003
Sarah Cooper "eclectic123" (Melbourne, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
This is a lovely movie, but the dialogue is so fast (true to the play, but fast) that you really won't appreciate it fully unless you already know what is going on. So read the play first, then enjoy this movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, funny and very poignant, Nov. 11 2003
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
I have to admit I was long overdue in watching this video. As a student, Shakespeare has not always been my cup of tea,(save for Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream) maybe because of the old English which I'm not used to at all in my part of the world. Anyway, this Twelfth Night movie actually made me realise that Shakespeare's works may not be such a bore after all.
Director Trevor Nunn has done an excellent job of adapting this play into a movie. Twelfth Night has everything I love in a movie: Great actors and actresses (especially Imogen Stubbs, Helena Bonham Carter and Ben Kingsley), a wonderful setting, lots of funny and witty moments as well as the melodious singing of Feste (Ben Kingsley). I believe that just by reading the play alone, you would never be able to feel the tenderness of the songs, nor the poignant moments between the characters. However, Twelfth Night the movie has successfully captured all the elements present in the play itself and I have to admit, it has blown me away!
All in all, this is an excellent movie and I bet that you, like me, will definitely feel the same way after watching Twelfth Night. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Shakespearean comedies done for film, June 6 2003
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
Trevor Nunn's Twelfth Night sits up on the same pedestal as Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing. Not a suprise, either, given that both films came out of Branagh's Renaissance Films. Reset in the Victorian era, Nunn maintains the delicate balance of comedy and drama (much like Much Ado), carried out in one amazing cast. Nunn does a wonderful job of keeping most of Shakespeare's comedy in-tact, editing only when neccessary to appease a film audience (most noticeable in Viola's famous "I left no ring with her" monologue being broken up throughout the film).
No member disappoints and each one excels in their own right. Helena Bonham Carter, queen of period films, plays an astounding Olivia with excellent timing. Imogen Stubbs, whom I've only seen play a small role in Sense and Sensibility, exceeds all expectations set for her in the role of Viola. And Ben Kingsley (yes, Ghandi), reminds us of his Royal Shakespeare Company roots as a multi-dimensional Feste.
The score, unhappily available on CD (albeit Kingley's "The Wind and the Rain" is available on the CD collection "If Music Be the Food of Love: Shakespeare at the Movies"), is breathtaking and well-done, particularly for a play that includes so much music as a stage performance. It corrolates perfectly with the lush settings (often involving romantic sea-scapes and Victorian manor houses) and costumes.
Perhaps the biggest disappointment about this film is that it's not available on DVD. However, it alone is reason enough for me to keep my VCR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twelfth Night deserves one star per night!, April 6 2003
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
This is one of the most imaginative interpretations of Shakespeare (or perhaps anything) I've ever seen. Although I have read the play numerous times, I never would have thought of doing it this way. The story was fleshed out even more than Shakespeare did to begin with, and was made to seem modern and old-fashioned all at the same time. Director Trevor Nunn did a wonderful job with this film (but of course he also formed the Royal Shakespeare Company, so what else would one expect?) :-)
Although each member of the cast does a great job, a few must be mentioned individually. Imogen Stubbs proves to have an amazing amount of talent and versatility in the complicated role of Viola/Cesario. Nigel Hawthorne is terrific as Malvolio, particularly in one hilarious moment where he tries to smile - something at which he is not too practised. Helena Bonham Carter makes a very appealing Olivia. Ben Kingsley is absolutely wonderful, and extremely expressive, as Feste the fool.
TWELFTH NIGHT is a film that is definitely worth watching over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED it!, March 9 2003
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
See this film if you like Shakespeare, excellent acting and the Victorian era. I had to watch it twice in a row! Imogen Stubbs was superb! It was funny, romantic and beautiful. (sigh)
My only dismay is in the fact that it is not offered in DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's kiss it once and twenty...., Feb. 7 2003
Susan E. Neill (Alexandria, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twelfth Night [Import] (VHS Tape)
Shakespeare "experts" will beg to differ, but Trevor Nunn has done 12th Night as it was meant to be done: witty and funny and manic, of course, but also wistful and melancholy. Orsino and Olivia make fools of themselves as they pine away in self-absorption, while Sir Toby and Aguecheek reek havoc, with help from Feste and Maria, in pathetic attempts to hold on to youth that's already passed them by. Feste is the soul of the show, and it's hard to imagine anyone doing Feste better than Ben Kingsley.
The setting (filmed in Cornwall) is breathtaking, the music unforgetable and the acting fine.

Twelfth Night [Import]
Twelfth Night [Import] by Trevor Nunn (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 151.30