5.0 out of 5 stars You want space history, you get it here.
Published on Feb. 9 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Too long and sappy for its own good
Published on March 21 2004 by chavacano

5.0 out of 5 stars You want space history, you get it here., Feb. 9 2004
By A Customer
I originally saw this when HBO aired it in late April to early May of 1998. I wasn't even born when these events actually happened, so to be able to see the accomplishments of the NASA space program is wonderful, not only for myself, but for the people who did see it when it happened. This documentary covers Alan Shepards' flight of Mercury 7, President Kennedys' speech that got the space program off the ground, up through Apollo 17 - sadly, Americas' last steps on the moon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating, inspiring, uneven - and worth every minute, Jan. 30 2004
Yes, yes - it is uneven, but that's part of why this miniseries is so good. Tom Hanks, Ron Howard and friends were smart enough not to merely recycle "The Right Stuff" and "Apollo 13," but to experiment with different stories and different viewpoints and visuals. As the majority has commented, great pains have also been taken to cover more than the "highlight reel", and be more historically accurate.
Some of the standouts:
"Apollo One" covers the tragic training exercise that killed Gus Grissom, Roger Chaffee and Ed White. Interestingly, I have never seen Mark Rolston (Grissom) in a sympathetic part before, and here he plays one of the most revered astronauts of the entire space program! Both here and in a later episode, the engineers behind the spacecraft are profiled - one of the most intriguing and interesting parts of the whole series. Engineers and designers are so rarely given credit or shown to be "cool" or even dedicated, kudos to the producers for doing so.
The episode "1968" mixes disturbing and compelling real-life news footage to show the prevailing chaos that year. The skillful editing really gives you a sense of the paranoia that reigned that year, with MLK and RFK being assassinated within months of each other, as well as the Chicago DNC riots.
Bryan Cranston and Tony Goldwyn crackle in their roles as tense Apollo 11 astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong. The next episode is a relief: Dave Foley is very, very funny, along with Tom Verica and Paul Crane as the 'also-rans' of the Apollo program.
Overall, it's just a pleasure to see the different approaches. Even when it falls flat a bit, the producers deserve so much credit for taking chances here.
I disliked the third episode, mocked up as a '60s documentary (it came off as way too polished, rather than the astro "Medium Cool" it apparently was meant to be)... And the episode with reporter "Emmett Smith" being sucker-punched by a young and hungry Jay Mohr wasn't as strong as it could have been, since we hadn't seen so much of "Smith's" personal side up until then, although he is one of the few constants through the many episode. If they had developed "Smith" as a character more, it would have been much more effective. Both cases were more critiques of the media than dramatic storytelling or historical reenactment.
Kudos also for paying attention to the heavy burden carried by astronaut wives - many of whom had already paid dues as test pilot wives. The original novel "The Right Stuff" is absolutely poetic on the same topic.
Note: A below review claims that the Russians sent an "unqualified woman" into space. Ouch! Sounds like selective history. Actually, the Soviet Union has had a long history of female aviators, namely the famed "Nacht Waxen", bomber and fighter pilots who fought during WWII. The Soviets even had two female aces, both of whom died in combat.
When the Mercury group was picked in the US, men with aviation experience were selected. Only a few, like Gus Grissom, were also scientists with advanced degrees. (Today, very few astronauts are primarily military-trained pilots, with most of them being literally, our brightest scientists.)
Likewise, Valentina Tereshkova was a parachutist, which is why she was one of the three women initially selected to train as a cosmonaut. After the training and poking and prodding she received, just like the Mercury astronauts, it's hardly fair to call her "unqualified".
Laika the dog was unqualified, but not Tereshkova. Geez.
I suppose that because she was an industrial worker, her parachuting experience was slighted by the reviewer, even though communism often sent bright, but socially unconnected men and women into factories and menial labor.
Ironically, the US had many qualified women pilots - Jacqueline Cochran, a record-breaking test pilot springs to mind - but waited until 1983 to send a woman into space.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, June 11 2011
This review is from: From the Earth to the Moon: Signature Edition (Bilingual) (DVD)
The packaging is excellent. The price was very affordable. There is a whole DVD of additional features, which is better that having them scattered throughout the whole set. About the episodes, I think that the resolution was a bit low and the images weren't too sharp. But the historical and investigative aspects of the story soon will cover any glitch or complain that you can have with the video. If you are a big fan of HD sharp images, probably this is not for you

5.0 out of 5 stars It was 35 Years Ago Today, July 19 2004
HBO's "From the Earth to the Moon" (E2M) is everything a good docu-drama mini-series should be. Tom Hanks has brought to life the true story of man's greatest adventure to "land a man on the Moon and return him safely to Earth". For those of us who were alive, E2M allows us to relive those incredible days. And for those who were born afterwards, it gives them a chance to understand exactly what it was they missed. If you have even the slightest interest in the space program, obtaining a copy of this DVD set is a must.
Coincidently, Apollo 11 landed exactly 35 years ago today. I was 13 years old at the time and living in Nova Scotia, Canada. The "Eagle" touched down at 5:17 pm, much to the consternation of my mother who was busy trying to prepare supper. Just like Tom Hanks would later relate, I had my models of the Command Service Module, Lunar Module and Saturn V rocket close at hand while I had claimed the living room armchair for the occasion. My family gathered around our old B&W television which was tuned to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), one of only two stations which were available to us back then. Much of the CBC's coverage consisted of a feed from CBS, so we got to watch Walter Cronkite's famous "Oh Boy!" commentary. My prized 3" reel-to-reel tape recorder (you could get all of 1 hour on a single reel) was busy taping a local radio station carrying NBC's coverage with Jay Barbree.
The entire family congregated again a few hours later for the moonwalk, just before midnight, and watched Neil & Buzz's first steps. I stayed up for the entire 30 hour televised stretch, from lunar landing to liftoff, stealing a moment every now and then to go outside and gaze up in wonder at the moon, filled with awe that two human beings were actually there, living and working on its surface. In this day of CNN and other all-news networks, it should be remembered that the coverage of this event was in itself history in-the-making - TV's longest continuous coverage of a planned event.
My interest in space began with the flight of Apollo 8. When I heard that this was the first manned launch of the world's biggest rocket, the Saturn V, I was sure that one of its million parts would go wrong with disastrous results. Thank God it didn't. I watched and I was forever hooked. A real space junkie, religiously watching each mission after that, coaxing my Mom to let me stay home from school (recurrent cases of "moon sickness", no doubt), clipping out every newspaper, Life, Time or Newsweek article I could find (now faded yellow with age) and trying to tape as much of the audio coverage as I could (few private individuals could afford a video recorder back then). By Apollo 14, I had earned enough money working at a grocery store to buy a 4-track 7" reel-to-reel recorder (which allowed one to put up to 12 hours on a single tape!) and had built a 15" Heathkit color TV. For Apollo 16, I had added a new-generation "cassette" recorder to my arsenal (don't forget that the venerable 8-track was still popular at the time). And, of course, I had acquired a VCR by the time the first Space Shuttle flew in 1981. It has always annoyed me that the more recording resources I could afford, the less TV & radio coverage there was available to tape.
But the effect of the Apollo program on me was profound. Because of it, I entered into a career in radio astronomy, enjoying the technical challenge of building instruments to investigate deep space from the Earth, perhaps recognizing the likelihood that I would never have to opportunity to leave its surface (although I did make the first cut for the Canadian Astronaut Program nearly 20 years ago). In tribute to Project Apollo, we named our son (now 16) after astronaut David Scott who commanded Apollo 15, my favorite of all the lunar flights.
In many ways, I feel sorry for the children of today - they will never experience the monumental awe and global celebration that we were privileged to witness back in 1969. Strange, isn't it, that although Apollo - the pinnacle of mankind's technical achievement - which occurred only 35 years ago is now looked on as though it was something out of our deep past rather than a part of our future. It's almost treated like it was a chapter out of ancient history, similar to other great accomplishments like the building of the Pyramids or the Great Wall. Although it might not seem so today, 500 years from now the moon landings will undoubtedly be remembered as the most significant event to have occurred in the 20th century.
It's hard to choose my favorite E2M episode since they were all so good. As an engineer, "Spider" resonated well with me, portraying the passion and dedication which many of us put into our work, albeit for projects with a much lower profile. "That's All There Is" brought back fond memories of the Apollo 12 mission. I distinctly remember there was talk at the time that astronauts Conrad and Bean may have been on an accidental oxygen high. It's good to know that there effervescent behavior on the surface was just a manifestation of their normal high spirits and comradery. I was delighted at how "Galileo Was Right" was able to present the training of the astronauts to be field-geologists in such an entertaining and informative manner. And finally, the bittersweet "Le Voyage Dans La Lune" brought a tear to my eye, just as happened back in 1972 when I watched Apollo 17 and the last lunar module lift-off from the moon. It's even sadder still, that we have not returned, nor will we for perhaps another 20 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, although not a typical documentary film, June 1 2004
Artur (Stamford, CT United States) - See all my reviews
Initially (first 10 minutes of the movie) I did not like it. I expected it to be more of a documentary kind of movie rather that actors and all that. Then I realized it was kind of interesting and more in depth, giving real feelings of the people of that era. Very nice. I managed to get the movie from my local public library. It is kind of expensive.
Now...
I agree with the reviewer bashing the conspiracy clown from Santa Monica. There is some "evidence" that the landing on the Moon has been staged. All that is pseudo science. Real scientific counterarguments EASILY debunk all those insane claims. Anyone who believes in the "conspiracy" is either not so intelligent or did not do enough research.
Do you really think it would be possible to keep all those scientists involved from telling the truth for all those years? I did not hear a SINGLE thing confirming the conspiracy from anyone involved in the apollo project. We hear these things only from so called pseudoscientists.
Why is it so hard to believe we landed? Did Russians fake their flights? Are space stations fake? Are the space shuttles fake? Are the shuttle accidents fake? Is hubble telescope a fake? Is the probe that landed on the Mars fake? Is the British probe that reached Mars but never landed a fake? Global conspiracy? Is there a conspiracy with Brits and Russians? Are satellits fake? Did we fake the Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Are nuclear submarines fake? It the nuclear energy fake? Are airplanes fake? Is quantum theory fake? Are computers fake? Is internet fake?
Is it really so impossible for us, humans, who came up with the above (iether before or after the Moon landing) to land and come back from the Moon? All that during the cold war when these kinds of achievements REALLY did matter?
People who believe that landing on the moon was faked should really do their research properly. If not, maybe they should keep believing in UFOs and area 51 conspiracies. I do not want to call them names. I am also a peaceful guy, but these kinds of arguments make me mad.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too long and sappy for its own good, March 21 2004
As the series begins it becomes apparent that every aspect of the Lunar Program will be shown which is a welcome sight since next to nothing is usually mentioned about the other missions especially the last one Apollo 17. The attention to detail really pulls you in and you are drawn into the individuals that made up the program. Unfortunately, the series does drag on and the repetion of lunar landings gets as tedious as I believe they must have been to the public, hence the end to the program. Also, their are very Ron Howardish scenes of people making final speeches in honor of different things and this contrasted with the realism of the technical scenes. But the worst thing about the series has to be the damn music. I am not of fan of film score unless its for some over-the-top epic adventure, but when dealing with real people in real situations, this bombastic mess can completely get in the way. Now the good news; stand out episodes in order include (forgot some titles): Spider, 1968, Mare Tranqualitis(although Buzz Aldrin was shown as a bit of a whiner), Part 1, the Last episode, and Apollo One . Original Wives Club was good except for the last scene between the Lovells. It seemed straight out of a TGIF sitcom. The rest of the episodes seemed to blur together especially the geologist one, I understand they wanted to make the science intresting but I've seen PBS do better. This may all seem negative but I did give it 3 stars, its just that compared with the best thing I've ever seen on television, "Band of Brothers", this series seems like just a good effort. But an effort worth your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mankind Leaves His Home Planet, Feb. 2 2004
The praises of this series have been sung by others, and I heartily recommend this DVD to everyone, but I would like to make a few points, some of which are negative, but which don't detract from the immense value of this series.
(1) Without the development of the giant Saturn V Moon rocket, man never would have gotten to the Moon, and yet its development, unlike that of the Command Module and Lunar Module is not dealt with and yet its story was just as dramatic. The problem of "combustion instability" and its solution is very interesting and took the lives of some excellent engineers but it is not mentioned. It is interesting that Wernher von Braun, the head of this effort is barely mentioned or shown in the series, whereas he was a very visible P.R. man for the space program in the 1950's and 1960's. I believe the producers of this series were aware of von Braun's past as a Captain in the dreaded Nazi SS and his possible (not proven) role in the war crimes involved in the production of the V-2 rocket in World War II and they didn't want to bring up this controversy.
(2) I give great credit to the producers for the episode about the development of the Lunar Module and the other episode showing how the astronauts were trained to become proficient geologists on the Moon. Science and engineering are usually not interesting for the television viewer, and yet these things were made quite interesting. My only complaint is that the engineers
who worked on the Lunar Module are shown to be a bunch of lovable "nerds" who view the work as recreation, but in reality many engineers gave their lives as heroes, just as did the Apollo 1 astronauts, because of the immense stress due to the time pressure. Others survived but had the marriages and family lives ruined. None of this is really shown.
(3) The actors who played Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, the first two men on the moon, played by Tony Goldwyn and Bryan Cranston, put in especially superb performances. Aldrin, the troubled genius, was especially well portrayed by Cranston who put in a lot of time studying Aldrin before filming commenced.
(4) The episode about Alan Shepard and Apollo 14 was quite good in showing how the flight controllers and the support teams led by Don Eyles overcame the Abort Switch malfunction. Here real-time problem-solving was shown. I was, however, disappointed that the Apollo 16 mission was not really shown because they had a more serious problem with the back-up Service Propulsion System which
also had a problem and was quite solved in a similar way. The Apollo 16 crew's exploration of the Descartes-Cayley site would have been quite interesting too because it was quite different than expected.
(5) The episode about the end of the program in Apollo 17 was both good and bad, the bad part being the story that Tom Hanks appears in about the filming of the early 20-th century movie about a flight to the Moon. This was just a waste of time, in addition to the slander against Thomas Edison. There were more important things to show, in my opinion. However, the end of the episode leaves me with tears in my eyes, because of all that had been accomplished in such a short time, and was then allowed to be thrown away because of short-sightedness. I hope that the Presidents recent decision to go back to the Moon will be carried out because Mankind needs to look to the future and to continually expand his horizons.

5.0 out of 5 stars The right stuff beyond Apollo 13, from the Earth to the Moon, Nov. 29 2003
Rev Dr John Benjamin Tatum DD PhD "Hospital C... (Mansfield, Ohio, United States of America & Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America) - See all my reviews
I was born in July of 1968, and my "birthday present" for my first birthday was the landing of Apollo 11. So by the time of the death of manned space exploration, I was having my First Communion. Then came along "The Right Stuff", a film that truly had THE RIGHT STUFF and made me hunger for more to learn about the history of space that occured during my lifetime. Then came "Apollo 13", showing that people did not give a darn anymore about space, unless it was a matter of life or death, and this gave impetus to the star of the film to take the same quality of "The Right Stuff" and "Apollo 13" and do the best possible in showing the entire story of travels "From the Earth to the Moon". This along with growing up with the PBS series from Carl Sagan, "Cosmos" gave me a great love for aerospace. I graduated from High School soon after the Challenger exploded, and as a 35 year old retired and disabled adult the Columbia was lost. But I hope that this is not the death of manned space missions, and the return to manned space exploration will occur hopefully with a permanent return to the Moon, perhaps outposts on Mars, and beyond.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Overview of NASA in the Sixties, Nov. 16 2003
Thank you Ron Howard! Obviously you touched a national nerve with the outstanding "Apollo 13," and took that concept and extended it into this wonderfully filmed and acted semi-documentary account of the NASA of the 1960s that was seemingly unstoppable.
In this film the actors do yeoman's work, and come across as the enigmatic guys they were: serious yet pranksters; competitive yet team players; in command yet able to follow orders. The beauty of this, of course, is that is exactly the truth. Conrad and Bean come across as great buddies, Armstrong comes across as a hyper-competent, serious and retiring test pilot and everyone else seems similarly true to form throughout the series. My hat is off to the actors: they nailed it.
Another favorite feature of the series for me is the evenhandedness, rather than an almost exclusive focus on the 'Biggie' missions (Apollo 8, 11, and 13) that are most commonly dealt with in film. They are adequately addressed, but so are many other equally dramatic events that seldom enter the public's consciousness. A perfect example is the depiction of the stuck thruster incident encountered by Neil Armstrong and Dave Scott on Gemini 8, in which a thruster sent them tumbling in all three axes, and which became so severe that only Armstrong's quick thinking was able to salvage the situation before they blacked out due to excessive G loads. According to some inside NASA it was this quick thinking that earned him the CDR spot for Apollo 11. Of further note are the special effects, which, similarly to "Apollo 13" are excellent. (Try watching the Gemini 8 segment on a big screen TV and not feeling queasy and nervous.)
Overall a super job. I have heard some people say that this is too long and others that it's too short. Obviously the producers can't satisfy all tastes (and being a serious Apollo-phile, it could always be longer for me) but in general I think they got it just about perfect. If you have any interest in the Apollo program, or spaceflight in general, this is an excellent effort that you should definitely own.

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding mini series on the moon landings, Sept. 19 2003
By A Customer
From The Earth To The Moon is an outstanding mini-series on the moon landings and tells a thorough and entertaining story.
To answer the incorrect criticisms of "a viewer from Canada" further down the reviews,the Soviets also took risks in their spaceflights.
The Soviets crammed three men into a two man capsule purely to claim the first three man flight and they also put an unqualified woman in a capsule to claim the first female cosmonaut. This was done for propaganda purpose whereas the American flights all had research reasons behind them. Our "viewer from Canada" also conviently forgets the hundreds of employees in the USSR killed when their untested Soviet moon rocket exploded. This was covered up for many years.
The first photos of the earthrise taken from the moon were taken by an American unmanned orbiter and not the Soviet Zond spacecraft as "viewer from Canada" claimed.
Whatever his gripes,this great documentary series is a lot more accurate than him.

From the Earth to the Moon: Signature Edition (Bilingual)
CDN$ 36.30 CDN$ 16.99