5.0 out of 5 stars Deep truths of human nature revealed
Fabulous music, to begin with. Love Bird York's "In The Deep."

It's not too accpetable in this day and age of political correctness to tell it like it really is. That's what this movie really does.

Published on May 14 2007 by K. Wilson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good Crash!
I just did not get the message!
Published 1 month ago by Tom Mahdeen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep truths of human nature revealed, May 14 2007
This review is from: Crash (Director's Cut) (DVD)
Fabulous music, to begin with. Love Bird York's "In The Deep."

I suspect that we all like to think we're above the ugliness that can grow within, whether it be prejudice, ingratitude, materialism, favourtism, or the like. Things we thought we'd never say or do, given the right cirumstances, we suddenly find ourselves falling straight into. And ironically, we often learn about the existence of these things in us, from the very people whom we've despised for displaying these very traits.

But our arrogant self-righteousness falls off when we find ourselves face to face with ourselves. In Bird's song, she pinpoints it:

"Thought you had all the answers to rest your heart upon,

but something happens, don't see it coming, now you can't stop yourself.

Now you're out there swimming in the deep.

"Life keeps tumbling you heart in circles till you let go

till you shed your pride and climb to heaven, and you throw yourself off.

Now you're out there spinning in the deep."

If we think we're above anything or anyone and we think we've got it all figured out, we'd better watch out! Things are not always what they seem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe Not The Greatest Best Picture Winner Ever, But Still Great, March 17 2007
M. Kennedy "BruceBeach" (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crash (Director's Cut) (DVD)
This film garnered some criticism for its somewhat unrealistic plotting. While there is some credence to be lent to this (some of the coincidences in this movie are fantastical to say the least), this must be set aside when you watch this movie. This is an obvious passion piece by writer/director Paul Haggis, so the overall message in this movie is the important thing, not the circumstances in the film which serve to illustrate Mr. Haggis's point. Sure, its kinda heavy-handed in delivering its message and sure, its not entirely realistic, but if you let these things go and sit back and enjoy the film, you will be rewarded. With a film this heavy handed in its message, the audience often feels bludgeoned with the point (see: Natural Born Killers), but not here. The entire (all-star) cast puts forth a fantastic effort, making this film a joy to watch. Who knew Ludacris is a much better actor than he is a Rhymer? He acts brilliantly in this film. (Notice I didn't end this statement with 'for a rapper'). I'm not a fan of Luda's music, but I've got to hand it to him, he did a great job. Another standout performace comes from Matt Dillon. His portrail of a racist LA cop is staggering; first you hate him violently, then you slowly begin to sympathize with him after seeing him at his worst. This film doesn't get five stars, because it is unavoidably flawed in its storytelling, but it makes up for this shortfall in many other areas. I hate to agree with Oprah, but this is a must-see. Not perfect, but very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cup of water in the face, March 15 2006
This review is from: Crash (DVD)
I think what this movie did for me is that it reminded me that we're all afraid. Fear distorts and in the end hurts and kills anything that is innocent. The only way to defeat fear on this scale is by subversibly serving each other in small ways.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oscar Deserved, June 29 2013
This review is from: Crash [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I like the intricate weaving of the plots and character's lives. Hard to do without seeming contrived. The movie was greatly entertaining and moving. Matt Dillon deserves more dramatic roles.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best films I've seen, April 24 2013
This review is from: Crash (Director's Cut) (DVD)
I keep this as a top film on my list. I was happy it won best picture that year. Basically a film about bigotry and redemption. The stories seem disparate but are woven together in the end. Brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars A challenging, risky film that succeeds on many levels, Aug. 22 2006
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Crash (DVD)
Crash serves up 31 flavors of racism via interlocking vignettes recounting two days in the lives of very different complete strangers. I was a little leery of this film going in, partly because I don't particularly care for some of the cast members and partly because the prospects of making a serious film about racism without resorting to stereotypes or preaching to the audience seemed rather low. I needn't have worried. Sure, Sandra Bullock annoyed the heck out of me every second she was on the screen, but the movie works - powerfully and effectively. The secret would seem to be a complete disregard for political correctness. If you want to say something about racism, you can't dance around the issue, and thankfully the writer of this film knew that.

I won't go into much detail about the plot or the characters, except to say that a wide range of races and cultures are represented here - and the racism that is portrayed on screen works both ways. Furthermore, the characters are by no means stereotypical and often do things you don't really expect them to do. There was a time or two when I said to myself that no one would ever come out and say what a particular character just said, but maybe I'm wrong about that. Those lines, though, show just how foolish and ugly racism is. To some extent, we can at least see where a few characters are coming from, thanks to little references back to experiences they've had. I think the real strength of the story, though, is the level of nuance built into these vignettes. Consciously doing certain things in order not to appear racist, for purely personal reasons of self-interest, is no better than committing an overt act of prejudice, and this film brings that fact out rather effectively. It also reminds us that even the most hateful of men and women are still human beings with their own problems.

There are some pretty powerful moments spread throughout this film: the heroics of an otherwise hateful cop and the angelic little girl scenes, for example, give us moments of pure cinematic magic. Other moments surprise us, effectively denying us the ability to ever get truly comfortable with what we are seeing onscreen. Lives are changed, some for better, some for worse - and the mixed signals at the end really just reinforce the points the story was trying to make. Are these temporary changes? Will life just go on as it always has, tainted by hate and mutual suspicion? Any movie that leaves you asking such poignant questions has to be called a real success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone must watch this movie, Oct. 9 2005
This review is from: Crash (DVD)
This movie is not just entertaining, but beyond that, it is a necessary piece of work. Beyond the great performances (Sandra Bullock does her best work here, along with Don Cheadle and Ryan Philippe), there is a lesson to be learned here, and I can guarantee for a fact that you will ask yourselves some questions after you have seen this movie. It is the kind of movie that provokes conversations and debates after you have seen it. The writers have taken a risk in writing this, and sometimes it is necessary because it is the truth, and although we don't want to admit it, most of us DO IN FACT think like this. Some of us will relate, even if we don't want to. Very reminiscent of "Magnolia" in its shooting style, this movie will change the way you way you look at people in society. This is not just a well-written and directed movie, it is a basic lesson on humanity that everyone should see.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good Crash!, Aug. 6 2014
Tom Mahdeen (Vancouver,BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crash (Director's Cut) (DVD)
I just did not get the message!

2.0 out of 5 stars Crash: spec. Edition, April 7 2013
This review is from: Crash (Director's Cut) (DVD)
I was really displeased with the wide screen version. Obviously very narrow screen and did not really enjoy watching the movie like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, Jan. 15 2006
This review is from: Crash (DVD)
This movie is excellent, compelling and moving. Warning though is slightly disturbing, yet shines a light on life. A must see.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›