biss boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: DVDChange

on July 12, 2005
Once in a while, you stumble upon a show that hooks you in at the beginning, then slowly it begins to lose your interest for a while then maybe near the end leave you perhaps intrigued enough to tune in next season.
Well, once in a blue moon do you stumble upon a show that hooks you in at the beginning only to build intensity and quality as the show progresses, leaving your heart to race on many ocassions, building momentum as it comes to a spectacular final three episodes evoking emotions such as joy, shock, rage, and sadness all at the same time. Ladies, gentlemen, young adults, teenagers Veronica Mars IS this type of show!
This little UPN show proved itself as the next craze...even though it had to go up against some tough competition in the form of Law and Order:SUV, House, Amazing Race, and One Tree Hill. Nonetheless, a devoted fan base emerged creating much talk and debate among show plot lines, characters and couples.
Veronica Mars is a show centered by a young, sassy, intelligent, spy woman (often referred to the Nancy Drew of the 21st century) who has a few issues that all stem from one event, her best friends murder:
First the obvious, "Who killed Lilly Kane?"
Also, after her father wrongfully accuses Lilly's father for her murder, Veronica is torn to chose who she will stand by, her father now an outcast, fired as detective , or the popular circle of friends who think she's now crazy. Needless to say she loses her friends and her boyfriend (Lilly's brother ) but gains a chip on the shoulder and a heck of a lot of determination in order to re-gain her fathers respect and put Lilly's ghost to rest by making it her mission to solve her murder.
And if that's not enough, she was also drug raped at a party, and has no idea what happened that night.
These mysteries and questions are the major plot arcs of the season...they are all raised at the beginning of the season and finally answered in the finale two episodes. How we get from the beginning to the grand finale is pure, poetic television! Sure there are the minor plot lines in-between, and the episodic mysteries much like Smallville was first season...but there is no rock left unturned...the writers and producers thought of everything, and leave their audience feeling excited and satisfied at the end...as well as a little crazy because there is another cliff hanger that leaves you wanting more!
Now the actors headed by Kristen Bell (Veronica), her father played by Enrico Colontoni and Perry Daggs III as the best friend Wallace give outstanding performances. They are supported by Jason Dohring (Logan Echolls) who makes you want to love and hate his character, Francis Capra as Weevil our lovable bad-boy, and Teddy Dunn who is Veronica's ex Duncan Kane. Many diss Dunn's performance but I believe he really came into his own near the second half of the season and surpassed all my expectations during the final two episodes. In all, I guess what I'm getting at is that the show is well-casted, and this is hard to do considering that the supporting cast (there are many more I have not mentioned) is a large number of characters important to the progression and suspense of the major plot lines, because they make their characters believable the audience in turn can be taken in so easily by this story and truly care about these characters.
I'm glad they're coming out with this season before season two begins because it only means that more people are going to be taken by this series. There are 22 episodes plus extras included are:
"a Director's Cut of the Pilot episode, plus 25 minutes of unaired scenes and bloopers" (tvshowsondvd.com)
I know the extras are few but the producers and the network wanted to get this out as soon as possible, so hopefully they will make up for extras on the season two set!
Just know, that you will not be able to stop watching once you've started...my cousin and I got to the point where we couldn't have anybody else making noise in the room when we were watching mars and by the finale we were going crazy jumping up and down and screaming at the screen! This show is a can't miss for any mystery lover...and well, for anyone who appreciates strong willed protagonist like Veronica Mars, you'll be cheering her on the whole way through.
0Comment40 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2007
I was drawn to this series by it's reputation for being well-written and captivating. I often find myself not liking the over-popular shows however. Veronica Mars turned out to be one of those shows that deserves all the hype it gets.

The show is hard to pin down with a target audience. The most obvious choice would be the young teen crowd because they can identify with the high school setting, and the likeable character of Veronica. Ms. Mars ends up being quite witty and often throws references about that are beyond her 17 year old character. When asked how the private eye business is going she responds "We're still chasing that maltese falcon!" So the show definitely has some jokes for older audiences.

The show is set in the typical nondescript American beachside city where people park their cars at school with surfboards on the roof. This show wastes no time in tearing down the picture perfect facade that other shows rely on though. Veronica Mars takes the familiar teen drama setting and infuses it with gritty realism, throwing in issues like rape, drug use, sexual affairs, abusive households, alcoholism, and of course the central plot line of a murder. It's worth mentioning to cautious parents that this show is rated PG and although the topics are heavy, they are dealt with in a way that is not explicit.

The real accomplishment of Veronica Mars as a show is to be entertaining to a variety of audiences. The role of Veronica as her father's P.I. assistant makes her somewhat of a Nancy Drew throwback, but unlike most shows like this, you don't get the feeling that the mystery is small time, or purposely simple so young audiences can follow it. Veronica solves cases for her classmates at high school, but the cases are not the dull "who stole the cookie?" type. The central plot of her best friend's murder is very interesting, and ties in well with all the shows characters.

Lastly, for those tired of shows that drag on forever, stringing you along with a single plotline, rest your fears. By the end of season one, you will be satisfied, but curious about season two.
on September 5, 2005
this great show has been through so much and was so close to being canceled!it's great to see new exciting previews for season 2.this is such a great dvd and is loaded with drama and keeps you guessing on the big "who done it" question until the last possible second!this dvd is a must for anyone who claims to be a veronica mars fan!!!!!
on August 11, 2008
I had bought this DVD without having seen it on TV. As soon as I watched the first episode I was completely hooked. I ended up finishing the whole box set in two days because I was so addicted and had to know who killed Lily Kane. I agree with the back of the box that says "A Little Bit Nancy Drew. A Little Bit Buffy". However, some of her fast paced comebacks remind me of Lorelai Gilmore from Gilmore Girls. Kristen Bell did a wonderful job and it was cool seeing Enrico Colantoni playing her dad. I have already bought season 2 and can't wait to get addicted to the whole next season.
on April 23, 2006
This show is amazing. Really great, well written. The acting, especially by Kristen Bell is fantastic. My only beef is with the DVD's and not with the show. There are almost no extras or special features included in this box set. No commentaries or any other frill, the only thing it includes are some deleted/extended scenes. Which, for a show this cool, is pathetic. I am sure that they could have come up with more extras. Still, this set is worth buying, if only so you can watch the show over and over again.
on August 21, 2005
on July 20, 2009
I started watching this just recently, I have seen part of one episode and was always highly curious and WOW, this is entertaining, well written, and well, different from a lot of other shows out there which makes it so unique. I love Veronica's sarcasm and wit and the plot lines as well as the characters who are acted superbly by the cast. Warning, highly addicting - you will want to keep watching! I ordered this like last week and I am done this season and love it and waiting for my dvd for the next one - plus a great deal on this makes it a real winner! Have the next season handy :)
on June 20, 2013
I bought the cheap version of this only to find that they put all of the discs in cheap sleeves and piled them into a plastic outer case. This is not what i expected.
But I still really love the show!! don't get me wrong there..
on May 23, 2014
I fell in love with Veronica Mars a long time ago but hadn't been able to do a whole rewatch of the series until it was posted on Netflix a month ago. Afterwards I fell in love all over again and just had to get the DVD'S the only problem being everywhere I looked they were atleast 15 bucks a season (including on Amazon.com) so I was amazed at the fact that Amazon.ca was offering all three seasons for 9.99 each or $28 for the set. I am more than satisfied with my shipment. I used the free delivery that comes with items over $25 and was contempt with waiting the allotted week for my order to arrive, however it got here in just two days. Amazon.ca has one of the best shipping time periods I've ever encountered (along with Chapters.ca) and I will definetly use them again.

The only thing I didn't love about my order was the cases that the DVD's came in. They were a nice sturdy case but had all 6 DVD's stacked on top of each other, which is alright if you aren't someone who likes to watch an odd episode every now and then. Luckily I had a Boy Meets World box set that had the flippable holders and simply switched the seasons over into those cases to allow me easier access to each DVD's.

I can't wait to use my new DVD's and I know that this series will always be one of my favorites to own.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2014
Outstanding series. Wished I could have seen it the shows on TV in Canada in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Great Acting by Kirsten Bell, Jason Dowring, Enrico the father and all the cast. Good story lines that young and old can enjoy. All of the episodes have intrigue, love and action in them, some better than others. I was surfing Amazon for a movie or a series to watch and found Veronica Mars. Checked the reviews (very good) so I bought the 3 seasons + pre-ordered the new 2014 movie. Both my friend and I watched it and fell in love with it. It became so Addictive! Couldn't wait to watch each episode and was glad I could see all of the episodes one after the other and then watch the recent movie which, by the way, was funded by all of the Veronica Mars fans via Kickstarter. They needed 2 million to do the movie and got close to 6 million. That's a lot of FANS! Hope they will come out with a sequel to the movie or more seasons on TV. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS SHOW!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse