4.0 out of 5 stars Good kettle, but LOUD

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy thhis kettle
Published on Aug. 6 2010 by Fry Guy

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy thhis kettle, Aug. 6 2010
This review is from: Breville 1.7L Ikon Kettle SK500XL (Kitchen)
The kettle looks nice but it stopped working after a little over a year. Check out all the poor reviews on Amazon.com and save yourself the trouble and buy a different kettle. I had the same issue as the last reviewer the base stops connecting properly with the kettle rendering the whole thing useless. The warranty is only for a year. I contacted Breville and was offered a discount on purchasing the same kettle over again but why in the world would I want to spend more money on a product that doesn't work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing quality, May 31 2010
Shotgun Michelle (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville 1.7L Ikon Kettle SK500XL (Kitchen)
I loved my Breville kettle for the first year and a half. Then the 'on' light began to flicker, and within a couple of days, it shorted out and the kettle stopped working. I contacted Breville and they told me their kettles are not servicable, they are garbage if they do not work, and since it was past the 1 year warranty, all they could offer was a replacement -- for $50. Appliances should have a greater lifespan than 1.5 years!! And to not service or repair their products -- deplorable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good kettle, but LOUD, Nov. 14 2011
This review is from: Breville 1.7L Ikon Kettle SK500XL (Kitchen)
I purchased this kettle for my wife about a year ago. We've been very satisfied with the product with one exception: this device is darn loud! As it heats up, the volume this device generates is surprisingly bothersome. It's almost difficult to have a conversation in our kitchen while this kettle roars away, bringing water to a boil. I'm delighted with all other aspects of this unit (looks, durability, speed, etc) except the bothersome roar as it comes to a boil.

4.0 out of 5 stars BREVILLE IKON KETTLE, March 24 2011
This review is from: Breville 1.7L Ikon Kettle SK500XL (Kitchen)
Love the design, the water boils really fast and I like the way the lid easily flips open. The only downside is how loud it is when in use. I have yet to find a quiet fast boiling kettle though so I don't think it is any noisier than others. I would recommend the kettle as I do love the way it looks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Over priced?, Dec 3 2010
Kenneth Chow (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville 1.7L Ikon Kettle SK500XL (Kitchen)
Nice looking kettle with blue light on when boiling. The look is cool but it is quite noisy when boiling water (not noisier than my previous one). So if you don't mind paying extra for the look and the cool blue light, it is otherwise a good kettle.

1.0 out of 5 stars It died after 8 months., March 30 2013
This review is from: Breville 1.7L Ikon Kettle SK500XL (Kitchen)
I bought this after reading a lots of good review, it stopped working after 10 months. very disappointing. not buying this brand anymore
it is not a cheap brand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy Again So Far, Jan. 17 2013
BD. (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville 1.7L Ikon Kettle SK500XL (Kitchen)
I have just unpacked my second Breville Ikon kettle, and so far, I am very pleased with it. I replaced my first Breville, after approximately seven years' continuous home use, only because, though it was still able to boil water, the kettle's automatic shutoff stopped working, and I particularly like this feature. In these days of obsolescence, this time span is reasonable to me. I have been impressed by its overall quality. Major functions include: large 1.7 litre capacity; easy-grip soft handle; water filter; large pouring spout; brushed stainless steel, which is easier to care for than bright stainless steel finishes; auto shut-off and lighted water level gauge; and, a fully flip-open, see-through top for easy filling. The few plastic and rubber parts used do not come into contact with the water. On the negative side, over time, the filter fell off and would not re-attach, and the inside body of the kettle became discoloured from hard water deposits. On the whole, this is a lovely kettle, and I hope it will function as well as the first one did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with Breville 1.7L Ikon Kettle, Oct. 31 2010
Breville 1.7L Ikon Kettle SK500XL

I had already used one of these for a few months.
I liked it so much that I decided to buy one for each of my children for next Christmas.
I would recommend this product. It looks great: model, size, blue water column while it is on...
Boils water very fast. Sounds when done. Looks very nice.
Kettle can be taken off the base hotplate and put back on to keep water hot.
Great price at Amazon too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, April 28 2014
This review is from: Breville 1.7L Ikon Kettle SK500XL (Kitchen)
Love the fact that it has the auto shut off feature and the stainless steel looks is great in my kitchen. !!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too big!, April 4 2014
This review is from: Breville 1.7L Ikon Kettle SK500XL (Kitchen)
Great kettle - my only complaint is it is too big. Too heavy, takes up too much space. I would not have purchased it had I seen it in the store first.

Breville 1.7L Ikon Kettle SK500XL