5.0 out of 5 stars #1 On My "Essential Kitchen Tools List"
Published on Nov. 17 2010 by Gosha

3.0 out of 5 stars Water spilled out of the lib easily
Not good. Plug the egg-shaped is ugly..

Won't recommend the NS-ZCC series to any body else.

The design of this rice cooker does not go with any kitchen style.
Published 14 months ago by Ming

5.0 out of 5 stars #1 On My "Essential Kitchen Tools List", Nov. 17 2010
Gosha (Montréal, Québec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zojirushi NS-ZCC18 10 cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer In Premium White (Kitchen)
For as long as I can remember, we've used the one-button type rice cookers and it always did the job. So after moving out and getting sick and tired of cooking rice (and it took me a couple of wasted burnt, soggy, undercooked batches and not to mention some phonecalls home to get the rice right!), I did some research and found Zojirushi. I never imagined paying so much for a rice cooker, but even at 2 and a half years of use, boy am I ever so glad I did! Plain, white rice is absolutely delicious! Whether it be jasmin, basmati, short-grained.... It's always tender and never over or undercooked. The bottom of my rice is not scorched. (*) And since the pot is non-stick, I never have rice stuck in the bottom of the pot.

Because this rice cooker has so many settings, I discovered many different ways to enjoy rice, the main staple of my culture. Never before have I bothered to eat healthy brown rice, because it was complicated to cook (my excuse... it's really not complicated to let the rice soak for 30 minutes before cooking it....) and it since it's "healthy", must taste healthy. But with the brown rice setting, it's fluffy, tender and has a warm, almost nutty flavour. I made my very first sushi rice with the sushi setting. It also has a porridge setting. My mom used to make me congee (Chinese rice porridge) when I was sick, so now I can just easily make it myself and for my family (**).

If you like your rice softer, you can choose the "Softer" setting. Conversely, there's a setting for harder rice. There's even a setting for sweet rice.(***)

My favourite feature has to be the timer. Silly to say but, I Love coming home to the smell of freshly-cooked rice. With this it's possible. I just prep the machine and rice in the morning (takes me all but 2 minutes) and push the cook button... And Bam! It times it to make sure it finishes cooking by the time I get home.

With the porridge setting, you can also make oatmeal and steal-cut oats. Thanks to the timer, I awaken to the pleasant smell of a perfectly hot breakfast waiting to be savoured.

There are cons to this cooker. First, it takes much longer to make rice. On the stove top, it took me about 10-15 minutes to make rice. On the usual switch-on rice cooker, it takes about 15-20 minutes. But even on the Quick cook setting on the Zojurushi, it takes about 35 minutes. But hey, good things come to those who wait, I guess.

It's a big appliance. It's really huge. I'm not quite used to the size of it and it was hard to find a place to put it in my little kitchen.

The rice pot is easy to clean, but I find a bit fragile. I always use the laddle it comes with or one made of bamboo. I once washed it with a sponge on the scrubby side by accident (It was an ordinary/innocent little Scotch sponge, I didn't think it'd do much damage!), and I noticed fine marks in my pot.

All-in-all, it's an excellent rice cooker, especially for those who Love rice it all its forms.

Extra notes:
My cooker came with the

- unit
- pot
- detachable aluminum (I think) inner lid
- plastic "bumpy" laddle
- laddle clip for resting laddle on unit.
- 2 mesuring cups (because 1 cup uncooked rice is not 1 standard cup.)
- Instruction manual

Also, when I purchased my cooker, I had heard that the one "Made is Japan" is of higher quality than the one "Made in China". I am unsure of the veracity of this source.

(*) However, I have noticed sometimes when I leave it alone too long after it's done, that there is a taaad but of browning at the bottom.

(**) However, the rice mesures and porridge settings are set for Japanese rice porridge, which is thicker than the Chinese one, so to get the exact consistency, I just add hot water/broth after the cooking cycles ends. It doesn't quite work by adding more water at the beginning of the cooking process; I suspect it has something to do with the cookers computing system.

(***) The timer does not work with the sweet rice setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooks rice nicely, Jan. 12 2011
We used to have a 1 button simple rice cooker by National, that thing still works fine but we just thought it would be nice to have an upgrade. After researching for awhile we decided to get this model from Zojirushi. I think the operating instructions are simple, there are presets for different kinds of rice. We made congee a couple of times, the first time was alright since we weren't sure of how much water to add. I think the water indicators inside the pot for the congee level needs to be increased. After we increased the water amount for the 2nd time, the congee was perfect!! I found the price on Amazon.ca to be the best and shipping during the holiday season only took 1 week. The rice cooker was packaged well and there were no signs of damage on the box. So far we are very happy with the purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars NS-ZCC18, Dec 20 2010
A great rice cooker. Not sure if lesser priced fuzzy rice cookers are of same quality, but I'm happy with it. Very versatile...

Made white rice, sushi rice, mixed rice with chicken/soya sauce, steel cut oats for breakfast and congee so far. And cleanup was a snap! Love it. Was making rice on a stove for last 14 years and thought nothing can beat it for quality and taste. Rice is a preference thing, but I can tell you that with the same rice, stove cooked rice and the rice from this cooker is not the same taste and texture. I was impressed with that fact alone. I love the timer function! Stove rice cooking doesn't have that feature!

The only negative to this rice cooker is rice takes nearly twice as long as compared to stove top, so, planning must be thought out a bit more!

4.0 out of 5 stars like it, Feb. 21 2012
This is the most expensive rice cooker i have ever bought.But I think it worth the money.My son and I usually have dinner at 5:50Pm and my husbund back home at 7:30pm.The warmer function can help my husbund has the fresh rice even after 2 hours.And the timer is the most useful part for my breakfast.Now we can have the fresh porridge every morning without get up early to make it.

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I get by without this?, Dec 8 2011
I just received my rice cooker a few days ago and so far have only made rice in it (I'm waiting for the cookbook "The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook" to show up). I made brown rice that was simply delicious (in 35 years of cooking I could never master brown rice on the stove top). It was light and fluffy and perfect. I've made basmati and sushi rice and they were equally good. The keep warm function really does keep the rice well; no gumminess or scorching. I love my rice so this unit will get a good workout in my home. If I had any complaint at all it would be that the manual is not very good and doesn't have any decent recipes in it (hence the cookbook I ordered from Amazon). I can't wait to try some one pot meals in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great rice cooker, Oct. 3 2011
My first experience with this brand of rice cooker was in the United States at my dad's house. After using this rice cooker to make sushi for him, I had to get one for myself. I ordered this one which is a size up from my dad's and it works just as beautifully.

I recently made the full volume of sushi rice in it - 8 cups. It came out great. My elderly mother who lives with is learning to make herself rice too.

I really like the little song it beeps out at the start and end of the cycle. The permanent time display is cool.

I made rice one day and then left the house. I came home and the warmer was going. It showed how many hours it had been holding the rice. It was still hot and fluffy 3 hours later.

I love my rice maker. I haven't used other rice makers, just my 40 year-old Everwear pots. My pots make a nice batch of rice but nothing is beating the ease of this thing.

Only thing folks should know is that it takes about an hour to make rice.

4.0 out of 5 stars More features, April 18 2013
I like it because it has more features. Also the 'pot' inside is better than what I used to have, not aluminum.
The only thing I noticed is that with regular white rice I have to add an additional cup of water to make it soft. For example for 3 cups of rice I put 5 cups of water. Maybe it is the type of rice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like rice, you will love this, Jan. 9 2013
After reading the reviews, I was very careful about measurements. As a result, the rice has been perfect every time. We give our dog rice as part of his diet and this appliance has been great at making the rice at a moments notice. We have not used the full 10 cups, so the smaller unit would have been just as good for our purposes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Le Must des cuiseur de riz !, July 16 2012
Ho Thi Tuyet Lan (Paris France) - See all my reviews
C'est très bien, par rapport d'autres cuiseurs électrique
surtout venant de Chine, le durée de vie est trop courte ( 1 ans max )
Le + le ris reste au chaud sans être mouillé ou trop dur !
Je suis d'origine Vietnamienne, et les cuiseurs de riz, j'ai dû acheté pas mal depuis mon arrivé en France en 1968.
Conseil aux amateurs de riz, à ce prix il y a pas à hésiter.
Mme HO - France -

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect rice, April 3 2014
The Zojirushi produces perfect rice every time. The ability to tailor your rice to make softer or harder is a bonus. Coupled with a delayed start time and ease of cleaning. I am pleased with this product and it's features.

ARRAY(0xa7c2412c)