5.0 out of 5 stars Great Time-saver
Published on Dec 20 2010 by Annie

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't last
This product values no more than 10 dollars, while I bought it at the price of 200 dollars. Scam. Don't buy it.
Published 4 months ago by R. Ye

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Time-saver, Dec 20 2010
This rice cooker is made in Japan and works great. It has 2 timers which I have set for the morning & suppertime. My husband & I love steel cut oats which take a lot of time to cook. I place the oats, water, flax seeds, chia seeds, crushed banana...etc in the rice cooker in the evening and set the timer and the porridge setting. We get up in the morning and the porridge is being kept warm and is perfect. We also love brown rice which never cooked right in my previous rice cooker. Brown rice needs a lower temperature and longer cooking period. This Zojirushi has many rice settings including the brown rice. I rince and prepare my rice in the morning before work and set the timer for suppertime. When I come home from work, all I have to do is the meat & vegetables and my rice is ready and waiting. The rice is always perfect. I am really happy with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good rice cooker, good price at Amazon, Jan. 10 2011
Price is very good from Amazon. I used to buy these appliances from small Chinese retail stores, or Asian supermarkets like T&T. I was surprised to find the prices on Amazon, after discount, is much cheaper than the retail stores.

The rice cooker is very good. Cooks a variety of rice very well (we do Chinese/Thai jasmine rice, Japanese sushi rice, as well as brown rice). Like very much the thick metal inner cooking bowl. The cook time is a little longer than I expected - normal cooking will take around 55 minutes for 2 cups of regular and sushi rice. It has a quick cook option, which will take half the time, but the rice is not as soft. But it's a matter of getting used to. We found the rice cooked very well.

We bought this to replace our National, which had aged over the years. It's my first Zojirushi (I've owned National & Tiger). I usually look at these 3 brands at par with each other. I'm a loyal fan to Japanese rice cooker. An intersting note is that my Korean friends are all bragging about the Korean rice cookers now. They said the Korean ones are even better. Some Korean models are even more expensive than the Japanese ones these days. Times are changing :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars #1 On My "Essential Kitchen Tools List", Nov. 17 2010
Gosha (Montréal, Québec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zojirushi NS-ZCC18 10 cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer In Premium White (Kitchen)
For as long as I can remember, we've used the one-button type rice cookers and it always did the job. So after moving out and getting sick and tired of cooking rice (and it took me a couple of wasted burnt, soggy, undercooked batches and not to mention some phonecalls home to get the rice right!), I did some research and found Zojirushi. I never imagined paying so much for a rice cooker, but even at 2 and a half years of use, boy am I ever so glad I did! Plain, white rice is absolutely delicious! Whether it be jasmin, basmati, short-grained.... It's always tender and never over or undercooked. The bottom of my rice is not scorched. (*) And since the pot is non-stick, I never have rice stuck in the bottom of the pot.

Because this rice cooker has so many settings, I discovered many different ways to enjoy rice, the main staple of my culture. Never before have I bothered to eat healthy brown rice, because it was complicated to cook (my excuse... it's really not complicated to let the rice soak for 30 minutes before cooking it....) and it since it's "healthy", must taste healthy. But with the brown rice setting, it's fluffy, tender and has a warm, almost nutty flavour. I made my very first sushi rice with the sushi setting. It also has a porridge setting. My mom used to make me congee (Chinese rice porridge) when I was sick, so now I can just easily make it myself and for my family (**).

If you like your rice softer, you can choose the "Softer" setting. Conversely, there's a setting for harder rice. There's even a setting for sweet rice.(***)

My favourite feature has to be the timer. Silly to say but, I Love coming home to the smell of freshly-cooked rice. With this it's possible. I just prep the machine and rice in the morning (takes me all but 2 minutes) and push the cook button... And Bam! It times it to make sure it finishes cooking by the time I get home.

With the porridge setting, you can also make oatmeal and steal-cut oats. Thanks to the timer, I awaken to the pleasant smell of a perfectly hot breakfast waiting to be savoured.

There are cons to this cooker. First, it takes much longer to make rice. On the stove top, it took me about 10-15 minutes to make rice. On the usual switch-on rice cooker, it takes about 15-20 minutes. But even on the Quick cook setting on the Zojurushi, it takes about 35 minutes. But hey, good things come to those who wait, I guess.

It's a big appliance. It's really huge. I'm not quite used to the size of it and it was hard to find a place to put it in my little kitchen.

The rice pot is easy to clean, but I find a bit fragile. I always use the laddle it comes with or one made of bamboo. I once washed it with a sponge on the scrubby side by accident (It was an ordinary/innocent little Scotch sponge, I didn't think it'd do much damage!), and I noticed fine marks in my pot.

All-in-all, it's an excellent rice cooker, especially for those who Love rice it all its forms.

Extra notes:
My cooker came with the

- unit
- pot
- detachable aluminum (I think) inner lid
- plastic "bumpy" laddle
- laddle clip for resting laddle on unit.
- 2 mesuring cups (because 1 cup uncooked rice is not 1 standard cup.)
- Instruction manual

Also, when I purchased my cooker, I had heard that the one "Made is Japan" is of higher quality than the one "Made in China". I am unsure of the veracity of this source.

(*) However, I have noticed sometimes when I leave it alone too long after it's done, that there is a taaad but of browning at the bottom.

(**) However, the rice mesures and porridge settings are set for Japanese rice porridge, which is thicker than the Chinese one, so to get the exact consistency, I just add hot water/broth after the cooking cycles ends. It doesn't quite work by adding more water at the beginning of the cooking process; I suspect it has something to do with the cookers computing system.

(***) The timer does not work with the sweet rice setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooks rice nicely, Jan. 12 2011
We used to have a 1 button simple rice cooker by National, that thing still works fine but we just thought it would be nice to have an upgrade. After researching for awhile we decided to get this model from Zojirushi. I think the operating instructions are simple, there are presets for different kinds of rice. We made congee a couple of times, the first time was alright since we weren't sure of how much water to add. I think the water indicators inside the pot for the congee level needs to be increased. After we increased the water amount for the 2nd time, the congee was perfect!! I found the price on Amazon.ca to be the best and shipping during the holiday season only took 1 week. The rice cooker was packaged well and there were no signs of damage on the box. So far we are very happy with the purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars NS-ZCC18, Dec 20 2010
A great rice cooker. Not sure if lesser priced fuzzy rice cookers are of same quality, but I'm happy with it. Very versatile...

Made white rice, sushi rice, mixed rice with chicken/soya sauce, steel cut oats for breakfast and congee so far. And cleanup was a snap! Love it. Was making rice on a stove for last 14 years and thought nothing can beat it for quality and taste. Rice is a preference thing, but I can tell you that with the same rice, stove cooked rice and the rice from this cooker is not the same taste and texture. I was impressed with that fact alone. I love the timer function! Stove rice cooking doesn't have that feature!

The only negative to this rice cooker is rice takes nearly twice as long as compared to stove top, so, planning must be thought out a bit more!

4.0 out of 5 stars like it, Feb. 21 2012
This is the most expensive rice cooker i have ever bought.But I think it worth the money.My son and I usually have dinner at 5:50Pm and my husbund back home at 7:30pm.The warmer function can help my husbund has the fresh rice even after 2 hours.And the timer is the most useful part for my breakfast.Now we can have the fresh porridge every morning without get up early to make it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was an easy choice, simple as 1, 2, 3, June 20 2014
Two other family members, my children owned and used this product while they lived at home. As each left home to start out on their own, they took their rice cookers with them, and so the next family member, a sibling of the first to leave, purchased one of these great machines too. Time past and the next child left home, leaving mom and dad with no rice
cooker...so mom received one on this Mothers Day. I guess you could say that we were very happy with the product...in total our family has purchased three.
Caution, remove the paper packing under the coated rice cooking bowl before use...

5.0 out of 5 stars Zoji Has Become Part of the Family, May 16 2014
Dominique Rousset (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
We sure eat a lot more rice and porridge since we got Zoji. The instructions are garbage, but the machine is fantastic. Once you have deciphered the owner's manual, which might require that you keep notes on the proportions of rice and water you use, you'll love it.

It's kind of like taking an exchange student into your home: hard to understand at first, and might not do things the way you're used to, but you soon realize how much richer your life is for having taken them in.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, July 7 2011
Michel L'esperance "Pepper" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
My wife and I became Vegetarians recently and in the spirit of doing it correctly, I wanted to get a trouble free, reliable machine that would do all the grain cooking in our diet. I have always been the "chef" of the family and rice has never been a problem in the microwave. However, preparing Brown Basmati, Wild rice etc. I just didn't want to be hanging around the kitchen for an hour or two just to end up with over-done product. After much research I came across this unit on Amazon. Not cheap, but I thought if we are going to embrace the diet, lets do it properly. This machine has proven to be everything it says it is and more. Like any other piece of technology, "Read The Manual" and this puppy rises to the occasion. The cooker is a great size for my kitchen and quiet of course. The pull-out AC cord is a bonus and the whole thing cleans up so easily. Bottom line, this thing is a pleasure! Worth the money since I use it almost everyday. If you're serious about cooking rice and other grains to perfection, I recommend you invest in this flashy little import. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't used it much, but so far so good, Jan. 12 2012
Very easy to use, great results for brown rice. Haven't tried other types yet. Very clean to cook, not like the cheap ones with the glass lid and the hole in it. Easy to clean. And it plays a melody when it starts and finishes!!!