march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store SmartSaver sports Tools Family

on March 2, 2015
A bit difficult to figure out at first but makes great rice, of desired consistency, consistently! Well designed and executed. Cleaning has been easy so far.
Why one star less, then?
Cord is a bit shorter than desired. Another foot longer and I would have to rearrange the kitchen counter a bit less!
A bigger beef is about the need to send the entire machine for changing the battery for the timer and memory. Even though it is a once in a 4-5 year hassle, shipping costs, replacement costs etc could and should have been avoided! Possibly easily!!
Replacement items are expensive, at least the inner pan which costs ~50-60 dollars (Canadian); the inner lid and spatula etc are not expensive (not sure about shipping charges for those).
The Canadian service and parts link is not clearly indicated in the manual. Writing to Zojirushi resulted in the following links:
http://www.zojirushi.com/app/service_centers (Canadian ones towards the bottom of the list of addresses)
on April 1, 2016
I used Tiger rice cooker that has served us for 20 years with regular daily use. This is a great rice cooker, very versatile, great value for the price and creates great brown rice and porridge. The white rice and brown rice is incrementally better than the Tiger rice cooker. There is an option to cook harder and softer rice to match your dish. The porridge is way better than the stovetop porridge so much so I would rather wait the extra time to get the fluffy taste I can't quite replicate.

The only thing I am missing is the ability to completely turn off the rice cooker after the cooking is done, The only way to do this is to unplug the rice cooker.

The rice cooker is made in Japan and if it lasts half as long as the Tiger rice cooker we had it's money well spent.
on December 30, 2015
I've only used this a few times but seems easy to use and rice comes out fantastic. My only slight complaint is that the product manual is a bit skimpy on details (how to select the keep warm/extended keep warm feature for instance). There are instructions on how to cook multiple different types of rice but seems geared more to Japanese products and a bit more information on how to cook rice products on N. American shelves would be useful (Wild rice, basmati rice etc).
on April 2, 2016
Works great for steel cut oats and basmati rice. For the oats, I ignored their recommended proportions of water to grains. I found someone recommended a 3 to 1 water to oat ratio and it works great on the porridge setting. In fact a bit more water is best... like 3.5:1. I use the timer for breakfast and add cinnamon and chia seeds the night before. The oats come out much softer than if I made them myself.

For the basmati rice you have to use the mixed setting. I used the white rice setting for a while and couldn't figure out why it was burning the bottom.

It's kinda annoying having to wash the lid every time but still more convenient than conventional stove-top cooking. Overall I'm very happy with this purchase. The time it saves me is well worth the cost.
on November 17, 2010
For as long as I can remember, we've used the one-button type rice cookers and it always did the job. So after moving out and getting sick and tired of cooking rice (and it took me a couple of wasted burnt, soggy, undercooked batches and not to mention some phonecalls home to get the rice right!), I did some research and found Zojirushi. I never imagined paying so much for a rice cooker, but even at 2 and a half years of use, boy am I ever so glad I did! Plain, white rice is absolutely delicious! Whether it be jasmin, basmati, short-grained.... It's always tender and never over or undercooked. The bottom of my rice is not scorched. (*) And since the pot is non-stick, I never have rice stuck in the bottom of the pot.

Because this rice cooker has so many settings, I discovered many different ways to enjoy rice, the main staple of my culture. Never before have I bothered to eat healthy brown rice, because it was complicated to cook (my excuse... it's really not complicated to let the rice soak for 30 minutes before cooking it....) and it since it's "healthy", must taste healthy. But with the brown rice setting, it's fluffy, tender and has a warm, almost nutty flavour. I made my very first sushi rice with the sushi setting. It also has a porridge setting. My mom used to make me congee (Chinese rice porridge) when I was sick, so now I can just easily make it myself and for my family (**).

If you like your rice softer, you can choose the "Softer" setting. Conversely, there's a setting for harder rice. There's even a setting for sweet rice.(***)

My favourite feature has to be the timer. Silly to say but, I Love coming home to the smell of freshly-cooked rice. With this it's possible. I just prep the machine and rice in the morning (takes me all but 2 minutes) and push the cook button... And Bam! It times it to make sure it finishes cooking by the time I get home.

With the porridge setting, you can also make oatmeal and steal-cut oats. Thanks to the timer, I awaken to the pleasant smell of a perfectly hot breakfast waiting to be savoured.

There are cons to this cooker. First, it takes much longer to make rice. On the stove top, it took me about 10-15 minutes to make rice. On the usual switch-on rice cooker, it takes about 15-20 minutes. But even on the Quick cook setting on the Zojurushi, it takes about 35 minutes. But hey, good things come to those who wait, I guess.

It's a big appliance. It's really huge. I'm not quite used to the size of it and it was hard to find a place to put it in my little kitchen.

The rice pot is easy to clean, but I find a bit fragile. I always use the laddle it comes with or one made of bamboo. I once washed it with a sponge on the scrubby side by accident (It was an ordinary/innocent little Scotch sponge, I didn't think it'd do much damage!), and I noticed fine marks in my pot.

All-in-all, it's an excellent rice cooker, especially for those who Love rice it all its forms.

Extra notes:
My cooker came with the

- unit
- pot
- detachable aluminum (I think) inner lid
- plastic "bumpy" laddle
- laddle clip for resting laddle on unit.
- 2 mesuring cups (because 1 cup uncooked rice is not 1 standard cup.)
- Instruction manual

Also, when I purchased my cooker, I had heard that the one "Made is Japan" is of higher quality than the one "Made in China". I am unsure of the veracity of this source.

(*) However, I have noticed sometimes when I leave it alone too long after it's done, that there is a taaad but of browning at the bottom.

(**) However, the rice mesures and porridge settings are set for Japanese rice porridge, which is thicker than the Chinese one, so to get the exact consistency, I just add hot water/broth after the cooking cycles ends. It doesn't quite work by adding more water at the beginning of the cooking process; I suspect it has something to do with the cookers computing system.

(***) The timer does not work with the sweet rice setting.
on August 6, 2014
This is a sleek little unit.

After listening to friends swear by Zojirushi rice cookers, and reading the volumes of positive reviews on Amazon, it was an easy impulse purchase when I was notified that the price had dropped by a promo email.

I've only used it once (just got it yesterday) to make Italian Sausage Risotto, but it's very easy to use, and a total breeze to clean.

The rice was cooked to perfection, even though I screwed up a step of my recipe.

If only I could figure out how to use this machine to fix the screw ups I make outside of the kitchen! ;-)
on December 20, 2010
This rice cooker is made in Japan and works great. It has 2 timers which I have set for the morning & suppertime. My husband & I love steel cut oats which take a lot of time to cook. I place the oats, water, flax seeds, chia seeds, crushed banana...etc in the rice cooker in the evening and set the timer and the porridge setting. We get up in the morning and the porridge is being kept warm and is perfect. We also love brown rice which never cooked right in my previous rice cooker. Brown rice needs a lower temperature and longer cooking period. This Zojirushi has many rice settings including the brown rice. I rince and prepare my rice in the morning before work and set the timer for suppertime. When I come home from work, all I have to do is the meat & vegetables and my rice is ready and waiting. The rice is always perfect. I am really happy with this purchase.
on June 20, 2014
Two other family members, my children owned and used this product while they lived at home. As each left home to start out on their own, they took their rice cookers with them, and so the next family member, a sibling of the first to leave, purchased one of these great machines too. Time past and the next child left home, leaving mom and dad with no rice
cooker...so mom received one on this Mothers Day. I guess you could say that we were very happy with the product...in total our family has purchased three.
Caution, remove the paper packing under the coated rice cooking bowl before use...
on January 10, 2011
Price is very good from Amazon. I used to buy these appliances from small Chinese retail stores, or Asian supermarkets like T&T. I was surprised to find the prices on Amazon, after discount, is much cheaper than the retail stores.

The rice cooker is very good. Cooks a variety of rice very well (we do Chinese/Thai jasmine rice, Japanese sushi rice, as well as brown rice). Like very much the thick metal inner cooking bowl. The cook time is a little longer than I expected - normal cooking will take around 55 minutes for 2 cups of regular and sushi rice. It has a quick cook option, which will take half the time, but the rice is not as soft. But it's a matter of getting used to. We found the rice cooked very well.

We bought this to replace our National, which had aged over the years. It's my first Zojirushi (I've owned National & Tiger). I usually look at these 3 brands at par with each other. I'm a loyal fan to Japanese rice cooker. An intersting note is that my Korean friends are all bragging about the Korean rice cookers now. They said the Korean ones are even better. Some Korean models are even more expensive than the Japanese ones these days. Times are changing :-)
on April 21, 2016
I hesitated for the last two years. Then did research. The first time took me 2 hours to make sure I did it all right. Awesome rice. The next night it tool 3 minutes to get it going. Beautifully cooked rice every time