I purchased this keyboard to replace my old trusty MS Natural Keyboard. I loved that old keyboard so much, that, when I saw that they stopped producing it for those travesty "Natural" keyboards with non-standard layouts, I purchased a 2nd one. Those two keyboards lasted me a good 15 years between them, but now it was finally time to change.

In my opinion, the...
Published on Aug. 3 2009 by M. Fortier

3.0 out of 5 stars COMFORT WITH COMPROMISES
Published on March 12 2009 by NeuroSplicer

3.0 out of 5 stars COMFORT WITH COMPROMISES, March 12 2009
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (Personal Computers)
Recently I changed my PC and although my old keyboard (a MICROSOFT Multimedia) was still in perfect working condition, I decided to change the whole set up. I still had fond memories of my old MS NATURAL ELITE PRO keyboard I had used writing my Thesis, so I decided on the 4000 model which seemed to be its improved replacement. I have had the keyboard for about two months - here are my impressions:

THE GOOD:
- The 4000 is not just another beautiful keyboard but a REALLY comfortable one too. Not only are the curves natural and well molded but the minimally padded leather-imitation wrist-rest offers a silky sense of luxury. The keyboard comes out of the box with a negative angle attachment, which can easily be removed - it is comfortable but personally I need to see what I am typing.

- Compared to other Ergonomic keyboards, one has to note that unless the keys are physically separated into two groups any ergonomic effects will be minimal. So, if you are thinking of Logitech's WAVE, it is a good idea to actually give both of them a try at a local store before making a choice. As I said, I am no professional typist (yes, more of a 2-fingers) yet I found that my typing is much faster and my typos more rare when using Natural keyboards.

- I liked the idea of the BACK/FORWARD buttons at the wrist-rest. Although most mice now have this functions on their side buttons, it is still a big help when browsing (my mouse has a Magnifying Function where the FORWARD usually is).

- Also, this is a really quiet keyboard. You get a satisfactory feeling when pushing a button but instead of an annoying "clack" sound only a muted "tap" is heard. Ideal if your wife is in the habit of taking naps in your home-office couch.

- As an avid gamer favoring the right side of the keyboard (arrow keys instead of the WASD configuration) I enjoyed the ample room around the former.

- Finally, I liked the placement of an extra set of EQUAL, PARENTHESIS and BACKSPACE at the top right corner (especially the parenthesis, I always hated finding the opening and closing one among the numbers)

Now, THE BAD:
- For some reason the ENTER and RIGHT SHIFT keys are too small! I could do with regular sized "H" and "N" keys if it would mean not hunting the ENTER. And this is a large keyboard, I doubt it would make any difference if it was yet a bit longer for that.

- The SPACE bar is, well, fickle. Sometimes it works even if hit at the side. Others it refuses unless hit in the middle.

- The key letters and symbols have a tendency to rub off(!). This is totally unacceptable for a premium priced product - especially one sporting MICROSOFT's brand name. I decided to wait for the problem to become more pronounced and have this one replaced.

- The Media keys on top do not sit well in their homings and are not perfectly aligned. Especially the VOLUME UP in my keyboard seems to rest at an angle. Again, poor quality control for such an expensive and brand name product.

All in all: a mixed bag of good features but with compromises and inferior quality control. I REALLY miss my old NATURAL ELITE PRO keyboard - if it came in black I would buy one again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Spacebar too stiff, June 17 2013
Good keyboard design, might take a little getting used to the split style keyboard. The shortcut keys are also very good, with the right drivers you can program their functionality, it's fairly flexible.

But the spacebar is the worst. It's very stiff. The sensor is in the centre, but it's a very wide key - they should have designed to have two sensors on either end, or two separate spacebar keys for either thumb. The current design is basically a workout for your thumbs, it's not natural at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating. The space bar is a deal breaker., Jan. 24 2014
I purchased one of these keyboards on Ebay. The layout was easy to get accustomed to and all of the other keys are within natural reach and operate with a suitable level of pressure. Except the space bar, that is.
The space bar is a longish curved bar with a piston guide and switch in the middle and a couple of small guides near the ends. I know because I took it apart to try to get it to operate properly.
If you try and operate the key by pressing near the end(where your thumb falls naturally), the mechanism sticks because the piston in the centre is forced out of alignment. It sticks a lot. It needs an intentional and forceful slam.

If Microsoft made these with two separate space bar buttons, they'd have a nice keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good keyboard, first worthy replacement of the old Natural Elite, Aug. 3 2009
M. Fortier (Montreal, Qc, Canada) - See all my reviews

In my opinion, the Natural 4000 keyboard is the first worthy successor to the original MS Natural keyboard. It doesn't use any odd layout (shrunk arrow keys or two columns Ins/Home/Page keys). Of course, due to the uncompromising design, it's a bit larger than your average keyboard, although not as large as the original. I did not experience any problem that people here have been reporting, mainly the "hard to press" keys. The space bar and the other keys are comfortably easy to press.

I work as a sysadmin and I spend all day typing, so a good keyboard is very important to me. This keyboard met all my expectations. The ergonomic design makes it comfortable to type on. I recommend it to anyone wanting a true ergonomic solution.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware! Microsoft quality control has gone downhill in 2013, July 27 2013
Geoff Miller (Kanata, Ontario) - See all my reviews
Don't get me wrong -- the ergonomics of this keyboard are great, and I have been a fan of Microsoft keyboards since the original ivory-coloured keyboards with PS/2 plugs. Nonetheless, I am on my FIFTH keyboard in 3 years. Of those 5, three of them failed in the last year.

Microsoft's quality control has gone downhill. On my last 3 keyboards that went kaputz between September 2012 and July 2013 (when this review was written), here's the chronology:
(1) on one failed model, the 'p' and 'o' keys failed suddenly without warning after less than 90 days of use
(2) on another failure, the entire keyboard quit working without warning
(3) on my third failure, a small splash of coffee rendered the 'l' and semicolon useless.

These keyboards are not spillproof at all, and even if you don't spill anything on them, they are prone to sudden failure. Be thankful that they are inexpensive; buy two, and keep the receipt, as you'll need it for the warranty claim you'll be making.

2.0 out of 5 stars Spacebar problem ruins good keyboard, Jan. 21 2013
The spacebar rattles and sticks in an otherwise great keyboard. I purchased it for the ergonomic design, but am seriously irritated by the cheap plastic rattling of the spacebar. The other keys are soft and silent. Feels great on the wrists, but this review might be the last thing I ever type on it. Too bad.

3.0 out of 5 stars I am not a picky person and I usually hate others who are spoiled, Oct. 5 2014
Regret purchase. I am not a picky person and I usually hate others who are spoiled.

However, the keyboard's pros are DESTROYED by

1) Space BAR

2) The "B" key is not touchable with right hand....u have to use left. This is inexcusable!

3) Speed typing or multiple quick button presses are GIMPED with this keyboard... the response time is mediocre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good feel to the keys but tall in the centre, Oct. 10 2009
P. Larkin - See all my reviews
I bought this keyboard to replace my Saitek Eclipse that served me for four years. The MS 4000 doesn't have key illumination but it is more ergonomic. I don't like the 'membrane' keyboards with that 'mushy' feel. The keys feel solid. My only problem was the 'tallness' of the MS 4000. I had to modify my slide-out keyboard tray to accomodate the ergonomic 'hump' in the centre. Not a monumental task, but it was a problem. When this keyboard wears out, I'd buy another one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Keys sticking in down position, Sept. 28 2014
In the first few days of use I had trouble with some keys sticking down and filling up my screen with b's or spaces. A squirted in some contact cleaner and that seemed to help, but it was scary since the keyboard this new one was replacing was discarded for the same problem as well as having dead keys. Here's hoping the trouble will not reoccur.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best ergonomic keyboard on the market, Aug. 6 2014
The best ergonomic keyboard on the market. Sadly every one of them I've ever owned has failed in the same way. Usually a few keys just stop working completely. A corroded trace perhaps. if it weren't for this ongoing QA problem (had it on 4 or 5 keyboards over the years), I'd give this keyboard 5 stars.

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000