5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000

3.0 out of 5 stars COMFORT WITH COMPROMISES
Published on March 12 2009 by NeuroSplicer

3.0 out of 5 stars COMFORT WITH COMPROMISES, March 12 2009
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (Personal Computers)
Recently I changed my PC and although my old keyboard (a MICROSOFT Multimedia) was still in perfect working condition, I decided to change the whole set up. I still had fond memories of my old MS NATURAL ELITE PRO keyboard I had used writing my Thesis, so I decided on the 4000 model which seemed to be its improved replacement. I have had the keyboard for about two months - here are my impressions:

THE GOOD:
- The 4000 is not just another beautiful keyboard but a REALLY comfortable one too. Not only are the curves natural and well molded but the minimally padded leather-imitation wrist-rest offers a silky sense of luxury. The keyboard comes out of the box with a negative angle attachment, which can easily be removed - it is comfortable but personally I need to see what I am typing.

- Compared to other Ergonomic keyboards, one has to note that unless the keys are physically separated into two groups any ergonomic effects will be minimal. So, if you are thinking of Logitech's WAVE, it is a good idea to actually give both of them a try at a local store before making a choice. As I said, I am no professional typist (yes, more of a 2-fingers) yet I found that my typing is much faster and my typos more rare when using Natural keyboards.

- I liked the idea of the BACK/FORWARD buttons at the wrist-rest. Although most mice now have this functions on their side buttons, it is still a big help when browsing (my mouse has a Magnifying Function where the FORWARD usually is).

- Also, this is a really quiet keyboard. You get a satisfactory feeling when pushing a button but instead of an annoying "clack" sound only a muted "tap" is heard. Ideal if your wife is in the habit of taking naps in your home-office couch.

- As an avid gamer favoring the right side of the keyboard (arrow keys instead of the WASD configuration) I enjoyed the ample room around the former.

- Finally, I liked the placement of an extra set of EQUAL, PARENTHESIS and BACKSPACE at the top right corner (especially the parenthesis, I always hated finding the opening and closing one among the numbers)

Now, THE BAD:
- For some reason the ENTER and RIGHT SHIFT keys are too small! I could do with regular sized "H" and "N" keys if it would mean not hunting the ENTER. And this is a large keyboard, I doubt it would make any difference if it was yet a bit longer for that.

- The SPACE bar is, well, fickle. Sometimes it works even if hit at the side. Others it refuses unless hit in the middle.

- The key letters and symbols have a tendency to rub off(!). This is totally unacceptable for a premium priced product - especially one sporting MICROSOFT's brand name. I decided to wait for the problem to become more pronounced and have this one replaced.

- The Media keys on top do not sit well in their homings and are not perfectly aligned. Especially the VOLUME UP in my keyboard seems to rest at an angle. Again, poor quality control for such an expensive and brand name product.

All in all: a mixed bag of good features but with compromises and inferior quality control. I REALLY miss my old NATURAL ELITE PRO keyboard - if it came in black I would buy one again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Spacebar too stiff, June 17 2013
Good keyboard design, might take a little getting used to the split style keyboard. The shortcut keys are also very good, with the right drivers you can program their functionality, it's fairly flexible.

But the spacebar is the worst. It's very stiff. The sensor is in the centre, but it's a very wide key - they should have designed to have two sensors on either end, or two separate spacebar keys for either thumb. The current design is basically a workout for your thumbs, it's not natural at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars No "Sleep" key, but there is a way to fix this., May 30 2013
For any of you who would like to have a "sleep" button on the keyboard. First, download the keyboard's drivers from http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/natural-ergonomic-keyboard-4000#support. Open the program by pressing the "Star" key on the keyboard. Decide which key you are going to use; in my case, I used the "Calculator" key. Click on "Calculator" and make sure "Open program, webpage, or file:" is selected (a green dot is lit to the left). Then type "rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState" without the quotation marks. There is a space after rundll32.exe. Exit the program, and there you have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, March 28 2013
J'adore mon nouveau clavier que j'ai rajouté à mon portable. Le fait de passer souvent plus de 8 heures par jour à ce clavier pour le travail faisait en sorte que cet achat était devenu nécessaire. Nettement plus confortable que le clavier de mon portable. Cela m'a permis d'améliorer considérablement ma position de travail, donc d'éliminer au maximum la douleur que je ressentais en raison d'un trop grand nombre d'heures derrière mon clavier. Excellent prix, beaucoup moins cher que chez d'autres détaillants!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have used this keyboard before and it relieves som of my cubital tunnel symptoms, June 28 2014
Cubital tunnel syndrome is a problem like carpel tunnel, but the origin is actually in the elbow. However, strain from typing can aggravate it, so the ergonomic keyboard works well and it also produces less pressure on the elbows. My first keyboard died immediately, but it was promptly replaced my Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this keyboard - can't believe it's discontinued, May 23 2014
I've been using this keyboard ever since microsoft started making them. I have really bad tendonitis problems in both wrists and for a secretary, that's a huge problem.

This is the only keyboard I can type with for any length of time without damaging my wrists and being in huge pain the next 6 months.

I have one at work (which I bought a year ago) and just bought these two for when the other one breaks.

Excellent product!

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality, May 5 2014
I really really like this item, it is easy to use and good quality. will recommend it to my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, they like it, April 15 2014
This board has been around a while. People who use it couldn't live without it. Those who've never used it complain about its design.

Im glad you still carry it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great keyboard, April 11 2014
I just love it !!!
The very best keyboard I ever had. It is very comfortable and eassy to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Took a bit of getting used to but now I wouldn't go back to an ordinary keyboard, April 1 2014
Eric Lawton (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As a touch-typist, it took a few hours to get used to the fact that the keys were not where I expect them to be, but once I got used to them, I found that it worked very well and I'm not getting the wrist strain that I was getting with other keyboards.

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000