4.0 out of 5 stars One Of Canada's Best
Published 14 months ago by ClwydJ

2.0 out of 5 stars A Loud And Proud "Just Okay"
The Tragically Hip have always been hailed as an excellent live band. But I hope that their reputation isn't tarnished by the less than stellar That Night In Toronto.
Published on Jan. 20 2006 by Wade Tomlin

4.0 out of 5 stars One Of Canada's Best, Feb. 10 2013
This review is from: The Tragically Hip: That Night In Toronto (DVD)
I've been a casual Hip fan since the beginning but have never seen them in concert. After reading the reviews I bought this dvd with some trepidation. The main complaints in the poor reviews is Downies vocal style. At times I could almost agree but the bottom line is that without his intensity & drive the Hip would be just another good band no one had ever heard of. This is a really well done dvd & I enjoyed it immensely.
My only gripe would be the way the Hip set up their show. They perform 16 songs as the main set then 8 more songs in 3 different encores. The problem here is they don't edit out the time the band isn't on stage so you get several boring minutes of waiting for the band to return(this is why we have fast-forward buttons). This should have been condensed or edited out in my opinion.
I recommend this to any Hip fans, the finale of Blow At High Dough is worth the purchase price all by itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE HIP...in hi-definition , PCM Stereo and 5.1, Dec 26 2005
r. f. - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Tragically Hip: That Night In Toronto (DVD)
"...THAT NIGHT IN TORONTO , WITH IT'S CHECKER BOARD FLOORS..."

An excellent live concert DVD is filmed in HI-DEFINITION at the...AIR CANADA CENTRE [2004].

Directed : by the same people who made the...RUSH-R30th Annversary Tour Live DVD...PIERRE and FRANCOIS LAMOUREUX.

In 16:9 and PCM STEREO : DOLBY DIDITAL 5.1 S.Sound.

A full concert from the beginning to the end with NO fixes and even the ENCORE TIMING [cheering] is all accurate.

GORD...adds a new continuous RANT called..." THE MICROPHONE STAND , THINKS THAT HE IS A MAN "

There are lots of live versions of songs from their new CD...IN BETWEEN EVOLUTION...+...BOBCAYGEON...THREE PISTOLS...SPRINGTIME IN VIENNA...BLOW AT HIGH DOUGH...NAUTICAL DISASTER...SILVER JET...COURAGE...GRACE TOO...POETS...LITTLE BONES...AHEAD BY A CENTURY...NEW ORLEANS IS SINKING...IT'S A GOOD LIFE...MUSIC @ WORK...GIFT SHOP...BOOTS OR HEARTS...ect...

This show looks FANTASTIC and SOUNDS wonderful. This is...THE HIP...at the TOP of their game.

This live DVD reminds me a lot of their LIVE CD...LIVE BETWEEN US...but , with many more songs and great pictures and sound!

A MUST HAVE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, Feb. 10 2010
This review is from: The Tragically Hip: That Night In Toronto (DVD)
My husband and I "misplaced" this DVD a while ago. It is by far the best Hip concert we've come across. We've looked everywhere for another copy...Best Buy, Future Shop, HMV...whenever we go into a CD/DVD store we always look for it & have always come up empty handed. I finally got the billiant idea to check with Amazon & surprised my hubby with it for Christmas - he was ecstatic! Thank you once again Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blowing, Dec 9 2005
This review is from: The Tragically Hip: That Night In Toronto (DVD)
The Hip's Live presense is like nothing else you could possibly see from another band. The Hip's albums, in my opinion, are all spectacular, including the underrated MUSIC@WORK from 2000, yet it is their live performance which truly shows them at their best!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good show, not great, March 11 2007
B. Langle (brooklyn) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tragically Hip: That Night In Toronto (DVD)
This is a really good show. I find myself enjoying it more and more with each viewing. Great energy, great showmanship, good crowd.

This particular tour was a "meh" one at best. Merely fair set lists that did not vary much night from night. They were short and uninspired. Song renditions seemed cookie-cutter. But on this particular night in TO it was a different story! They boys played the hell out of every song, and Gord sung the heck out of them too! You can see the early stages of Gord's current dance styles and his "hatred" for mic stands. Thee "100m" jam was amazing and look for an early version of "Fly" snuck in there - 2 years before it was released. The setlist was around 26 songs and 2 1/2 hours long! Fantastic. Pearl Jam-esque!

Speaking of PJ... I am a much bigger fan of the Hip than PJ. But no band alive puts on a better show than Pearl Jam. (Let alone no geriatric band, which let's admit PJ and the Hip almost are!) No one! PJ's two shows at MSG - one of which was made into a DVD were two of their best shows ever. It's completely unfair to the band, to potential buyers of this Hip concert and to yourself as a Hip fan to compare the two.

If you are fan boy, you own this already. If you are a casual Hip fan, drop 20 bucks on this. You won't have any regrets. If you are a new Hip, buy the "Live Between US" CD for 8 bucks first. My two cents...

2.0 out of 5 stars A Loud And Proud "Just Okay", Jan. 20 2006
Wade Tomlin (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tragically Hip: That Night In Toronto (DVD)
Why do I say this? Around the time I purchased this admittedly reasonably priced concert DVD, I also purchased similar live DVDs by Our Lady Peace and Pearl Jam. And I have to say that That Night In Toronto comes in last place in terms of my personal enjoyment. First of all the Hip's newer material is not as strong as their older material but many of their newer songs are obviously showcased here as this show was in support of their last studio album. What I found on the Pearl Jam DVD Live At The Garden was a band at a similar stage of their career but Pearl Jam was able, at least in my eyes, to capture their audience's attention with tunes that would not be qualified as audience favourites. The Hip do not accomplish this on That Night In Toronto as songs such as Summer Is Killing Us are of minimal enjoyment.
Okay maybe Pearl Jam is just a different type of live experience, fair enough. When I compare my enjoyment of The Tragically Hip's That Night In Toronto to the Our Lady Peace Live (OLP) concert DVD I purchased, the Hip still lose. And OLP is a band that I never personally held in high regard as a live act (I remember an OLP concert I attended years ago where the band stunk.) Because as opposed to the straight-ahead rock show that the Hip present, OLP uses multiple camera angles for a better visual presentation for their live set and perform two songs that were not released on any OLP record. Their DVD also includes some neat special features including a mini-documentary of life on the road for OLP. That Night In Toronto contains no special features and their are no unexpected songs thrown into the show by the Hip that make the concert seem significant.
The Hip's live DVD is just okay; nothing spectacular about their performance or memorable about the DVD itself. Therefore I would say that unless you purchase this as a part of the Hip's box set, there isn't much reason to buy it as a stand-alone item.

ARRAY(0xb1820048)

The Tragically Hip: That Night In Toronto
The Tragically Hip: That Night In Toronto by Tragically Hip (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 17.95