5.0 out of 5 stars HAVE I GOT A STORY FOR YOU !
Published on May 29 2006 by The Critic

3.0 out of 5 stars A trip back in time... still a fun ride :)
Published on Feb. 29 2012 by CJ Gallo

5.0 out of 5 stars HAVE I GOT A STORY FOR YOU !, May 29 2006
The Critic "Movie Maniac" (Windsor, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
This set is well done with nice artwork and individual slim cases for the DVD's, but completely lacking in bonus material. Sadly Mr. McGavin passed away in Feb/2006, so why didn't the studio interview him for the DVD release of this classic show when they had the chance. Any commentary from Darren McGavin or a look back interview from him would have been a welcomed addition to this set. Universal Studios just doesn't get it, including bonus material is another reason to buy these classic shows on DVD.

My only other gripe is that the two Kolchak movies should have been included in the set as well, to complete the entire series. This is the original Night Stalker and it definitely shouldn't be passed up at any price. Rumors about reviving this show have once again emerged, but like all classics they're often imitated and seldom duplicated.

Thanks to Universal Studios, the complete Kolchak "The Night Stalker" television series has finally been released on DVD. The video transfer is really decent and the 2.0 sound is pretty consistent and definitely better than I expected. All 20 episodes of this classic 70's TV series are spread out over 3 double sided discs and that's my only major complaint with this set.

Universal Studios should abandon the double sided discs and go with single sided discs even if it means adding a few more dollars to the price of the set. In a few of the episodes, some of the night scenes are very dark and sometimes it's hard to make out the images. I give this classic show five stars all the way for pure entertainment value. Darren McGavin in my opinion was the perfect choice to play the Kolchak character and he played it to perfection.

DVD Features Include:

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Studio: Universal Studios
Available Subtitles: English, Spanish
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.1 Mono)
All 20 original episodes on three double sided discs

Episodes Include:

Episode 1: The Ripper
Episode 2: The Zombie
Episode 3: They Have Been, They Are, They Will Be.
Episode 4: The Vampire
Episode 19: The Youth Killer
Episode 20: The Sentry

4.0 out of 5 stars The Night Stalker, June 13 2013
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
Very good series from the 70's! Its too bad it only lasted one year on TV. Darren McGavin plays his role well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and fun!!!, May 19 2012
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
I haven't seen this series or the two previous films since they ran in the '70s. Mostly I had a memory of enjoying them, but little memory of specifics. I'm so glad I took a chance and ordered this set. It was a wonderful revisit of a very cool show. I might even appreciate it more now then I did as a teenager. To me it seems hardly to have aged even if I can see some dated aspects in it. The series hit a wonderful balance of charm, quirky humour and creeping you out. And it's easy to see how this inspired the creation of The X-files twenty years later---there are a lot of similarities in concept and even some stories. Most of the twenty episodes I rate Good to Excellent. The few disappointments are not not bad, but only not quite as good as the rest.

The only real disappointment is the lack of extras and that the discs are double sided. What really should be done is a proper remastering as well as inclusion of the previous two made-for-TV movies all in one package. That would be the proper way to celebrate this wonderful show.

3.0 out of 5 stars A trip back in time... still a fun ride :), Feb. 29 2012
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
I bought this series a few months ago due to a 'night shift' chat with a colleague where we were trying to stay awake by remembering some of those great old time tv shows which we really enjoyed watching when we were kids. 'Kolchak: The Night Stalker' was one that really got the conversation going. Surprisingly, Amazon.ca had it so I went for it. It was a little pricey for such an old series but I was excited to see an old 'kid' favourite so I went for it.
When I got the package, I found that one of the DVD's came off it's mount and got scratched up but it played okay. This in not the best transfer I've seen and at times I had to replay parts that my player had skipped over but when I played it again it seemed to work fine. Hmmm.
That being said, I had a lot of fun going back in time watching these 1970's episodes which revealed just how far we've come 'culturally' with respect to multi-cultural sensitivity and strength of story. The story lines are simple about werewolves, vampires, aliens, voodoo, etcetera taken from classic horror stories of the past and all were told in a cheesy, tongue in cheek way which made my colleague and I laugh out loud when we saw them again 40 years later. It's kinda like watching the movie Rock Horror Picture Show... if you're looking for a straightforward 'scary' story... this it not it. But, if you want to take a trip back in time where all the current social taboos were not even considered when these episodes were written then you should enjoy it as a 'tv time capsule' item.
Darin McGavin's (Carl Kolchack) and Simon Oakland's (Tony Vincenzo) interactions as a press writer with his editor is fantastic and really keeps the fun alive in between the story lines and the rest of the cast also adds quite a bit to the enjoyment of this series as a whole. Lots of fun to see again... my only wish is that the quality of the Discs were better and that there was a special features added section for the cost (approx. $60.00) I paid for it... perhaps a revisit with living cast members or older interviews that may have been archived?

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest tv shows, April 21 2014
Keith Little - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
Kolchak is without doubt one of my favourite tv shows. I used to see it in reruns as a kid and just loved it. If you haven't seen this cult classic then I strongly suggest giving it a look and chances are you'll be hooked.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective!, March 4 2014
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
Unfortunately, the DVDs in this set are defective and would not play on any machine that I tried. I hope that they will be re-released sometime later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooky!, Feb. 18 2014
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
Kolchak investigates all sorts of scary goings-on - from Dracula to zombies. He's always getting in trouble with his editor, it's funny and suspenseful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Plain old Fun !!!, Feb. 8 2014
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
Great to see old fashion entertainment rather than reality stuff. Although discs double sided each was packaged separately in protective case so they are well protected for multiple viewings.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best campy and fun horror story going, Feb. 20 2013
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
This is the stuff of "real" monsters and such. Never mind all that super supernatural find out what a real person would do if they came across these monsters.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, Dec 19 2012
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
My husband is a big fan. I know its an much older program but when his face lit up when he saw the box. It was well worth the price paid. Shame we are having so much trouble with the dvd we bought from you.

Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) by Darren McGavin (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 36.99 CDN$ 31.44