5.0 out of 5 stars HAVE I GOT A STORY FOR YOU !
Published on May 29 2006 by The Critic

3.0 out of 5 stars A trip back in time... still a fun ride :)
Published on Feb. 29 2012 by CJ Gallo

5.0 out of 5 stars HAVE I GOT A STORY FOR YOU !, May 29 2006
The Critic "Movie Maniac" (Windsor, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
This set is well done with nice artwork and individual slim cases for the DVD's, but completely lacking in bonus material. Sadly Mr. McGavin passed away in Feb/2006, so why didn't the studio interview him for the DVD release of this classic show when they had the chance. Any commentary from Darren McGavin or a look back interview from him would have been a welcomed addition to this set. Universal Studios just doesn't get it, including bonus material is another reason to buy these classic shows on DVD.

My only other gripe is that the two Kolchak movies should have been included in the set as well, to complete the entire series. This is the original Night Stalker and it definitely shouldn't be passed up at any price. Rumors about reviving this show have once again emerged, but like all classics they're often imitated and seldom duplicated.

Thanks to Universal Studios, the complete Kolchak "The Night Stalker" television series has finally been released on DVD. The video transfer is really decent and the 2.0 sound is pretty consistent and definitely better than I expected. All 20 episodes of this classic 70's TV series are spread out over 3 double sided discs and that's my only major complaint with this set.

Universal Studios should abandon the double sided discs and go with single sided discs even if it means adding a few more dollars to the price of the set. In a few of the episodes, some of the night scenes are very dark and sometimes it's hard to make out the images. I give this classic show five stars all the way for pure entertainment value. Darren McGavin in my opinion was the perfect choice to play the Kolchak character and he played it to perfection.

DVD Features Include:

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Studio: Universal Studios
Available Subtitles: English, Spanish
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.1 Mono)
All 20 original episodes on three double sided discs

Episodes Include:

Episode 1: The Ripper
Episode 2: The Zombie
Episode 3: They Have Been, They Are, They Will Be.
Episode 4: The Vampire
Episode 19: The Youth Killer
Episode 20: The Sentry

5.0 out of 5 stars Night stalking, Jan. 1 2006
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
Expect to see "Night Stalker" return this fall in a new form, produced by the "X-Files'" Frank Spotnitz and starring Stuart Townsend. But in all probability, it won't measure up to the original series of "Kolchak - The Night Stalker," a witty short series that has gained cult appeal. At best, it will have its work cut out for it.
In the mid-1970s, after a pair of hit TV movies called "The Night Stalker" and "The Night Strangler, "Kolchak - The Night Stalker" debuted. It reintroduced us to Carl Kolchak, a threadbare reporter who is working in Chicago. He also has a tendency to bump into ghoulies, ghosties and things that go bump in the night.
In this series, Kolchak encounters a harrowing series of problems: Kolchak battles bizarre aliens and "missing link" primates; a series killer may be Jack the Ripper; a call girl returns from the dead; a malevolent doppelganger is causing people to burn to death; and voodoo zombies, haunted armor, succubi, werewolves, demons, killer robots, ghosts and gods.
The supernatural is everyday on TV now, with several series (past and present) focusing on everything from A (animals) to Z (zombies). But "Kolchak - The Night Stalker" has the advantage of being the grandaddy of them all, with a fresh outlook and plots that owe nothing to anyone.
While the horror parts can be a bit campy, the originality of its plotlines can't be denied. Sure, it mines everything from Aztec gods to voodoo. But it also comes up with plots that no legend could come up with, such as the idea of Helen of Troy still alive and beautiful, and sucking the youth from modern young men. It's brilliant.
It also has what few supernatural series have: a sense of humour. There's that entire episode about a headless motorcycle driver -- a modern update of the "Headless Horseman," maybe? And, of course, the brilliant twist of having diabolical help during a political campaign. Seriously, how could some of these politicians be elected otherwise?
Not to mention the dialogue: we are informed by Kolchak that, "Captain Leo Winwood and I had a relationship that was long and bloody, like the Crusades, only without the chivalry." That's not the wittiest line of the series, either.
Darren McGavin -- who twice played a similar character in "The X-Files" -- did an excellent job as Carl Kolchak. He plays Kolchak as a crusty, slightly crabby reporter -- an everyman for the supernatural. He's not handsome, not athletic, not charming, and he rubs the cops the wrong way. Therein lies his rough charm.
Only time will tell how good the new series is. But one thing is undeniable: the original "Kolchak - The Night Stalker" remains a delicious cult classic. Witty, dark and bizarrely original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and fun!!!, May 19 2012
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
I haven't seen this series or the two previous films since they ran in the '70s. Mostly I had a memory of enjoying them, but little memory of specifics. I'm so glad I took a chance and ordered this set. It was a wonderful revisit of a very cool show. I might even appreciate it more now then I did as a teenager. To me it seems hardly to have aged even if I can see some dated aspects in it. The series hit a wonderful balance of charm, quirky humour and creeping you out. And it's easy to see how this inspired the creation of The X-files twenty years later---there are a lot of similarities in concept and even some stories. Most of the twenty episodes I rate Good to Excellent. The few disappointments are not not bad, but only not quite as good as the rest.

The only real disappointment is the lack of extras and that the discs are double sided. What really should be done is a proper remastering as well as inclusion of the previous two made-for-TV movies all in one package. That would be the proper way to celebrate this wonderful show.

3.0 out of 5 stars A trip back in time... still a fun ride :), Feb. 29 2012
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
I bought this series a few months ago due to a 'night shift' chat with a colleague where we were trying to stay awake by remembering some of those great old time tv shows which we really enjoyed watching when we were kids. 'Kolchak: The Night Stalker' was one that really got the conversation going. Surprisingly, Amazon.ca had it so I went for it. It was a little pricey for such an old series but I was excited to see an old 'kid' favourite so I went for it.
When I got the package, I found that one of the DVD's came off it's mount and got scratched up but it played okay. This in not the best transfer I've seen and at times I had to replay parts that my player had skipped over but when I played it again it seemed to work fine. Hmmm.
That being said, I had a lot of fun going back in time watching these 1970's episodes which revealed just how far we've come 'culturally' with respect to multi-cultural sensitivity and strength of story. The story lines are simple about werewolves, vampires, aliens, voodoo, etcetera taken from classic horror stories of the past and all were told in a cheesy, tongue in cheek way which made my colleague and I laugh out loud when we saw them again 40 years later. It's kinda like watching the movie Rock Horror Picture Show... if you're looking for a straightforward 'scary' story... this it not it. But, if you want to take a trip back in time where all the current social taboos were not even considered when these episodes were written then you should enjoy it as a 'tv time capsule' item.
Darin McGavin's (Carl Kolchack) and Simon Oakland's (Tony Vincenzo) interactions as a press writer with his editor is fantastic and really keeps the fun alive in between the story lines and the rest of the cast also adds quite a bit to the enjoyment of this series as a whole. Lots of fun to see again... my only wish is that the quality of the Discs were better and that there was a special features added section for the cost (approx. $60.00) I paid for it... perhaps a revisit with living cast members or older interviews that may have been archived?

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest tv shows, April 21 2014
Keith Little - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
Kolchak is without doubt one of my favourite tv shows. I used to see it in reruns as a kid and just loved it. If you haven't seen this cult classic then I strongly suggest giving it a look and chances are you'll be hooked.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective!, March 4 2014
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
Unfortunately, the DVDs in this set are defective and would not play on any machine that I tried. I hope that they will be re-released sometime later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooky!, Feb. 18 2014
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
Kolchak investigates all sorts of scary goings-on - from Dracula to zombies. He's always getting in trouble with his editor, it's funny and suspenseful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Plain old Fun !!!, Feb. 8 2014
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
Great to see old fashion entertainment rather than reality stuff. Although discs double sided each was packaged separately in protective case so they are well protected for multiple viewings.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best campy and fun horror story going, Feb. 20 2013
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
This is the stuff of "real" monsters and such. Never mind all that super supernatural find out what a real person would do if they came across these monsters.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, Dec 19 2012
This review is from: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) (DVD)
My husband is a big fan. I know its an much older program but when his face lit up when he saw the box. It was well worth the price paid. Shame we are having so much trouble with the dvd we bought from you.

Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD) by Darren McGavin (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 36.99 CDN$ 31.44