5.0 out of 5 stars What a great idea.
A friend of mine was surfing the net looking for a toaster and in the process he came upon the "Back to Basics TEM500".

He told me to order 2 and he would pay for them. What a nice guy and I got mine for free. :-)

Published on June 27 2011 by GadgetManDan

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool idea
Published on Jan. 7 2012 by Louise Ross

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great idea., June 27 2011
This review is from: Back to Basics TEM500 Egg-and-Muffin 2-Slice Toaster and Egg Poacher (Kitchen)

I had read some reviews on other sites but they were all saying what a great idea it was and there was nothing from someone who had one.

When I saw it I thought it was an interesting idea but I had no idea how great it was until I got it.

I really love it! I am GadgetManDan and I have lots of cool gadgets and this is one of the coolest.

It's easy to use and clean up. It takes around 7 minutes to make and I am impressed with the build quality of it. You can use it to make toast, boil up to 4 eggs, poach 1 egg or a combination due to the mode buttons on the front.

The process of making a toasted English muffin with a poached egg sandwich is excellent. When the water boils away the egg is poached the English muffin pops up so everything is done at the same time. I tell everyone about this amazing little device and suggest it to anyone who likes toasted English muffins and poached eggs.

If you're thinking of buying go ahead you will be happy that you did and your friends will think it's really cool when they see it.

It's a great gift idea too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Egg McMuffins!, July 4 2011
B.C. (Victoria, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
I mean, c'mon.
A toaster that makes egg mcMuffins, awesome.

The only thing I don't like about this is the little pan, its non stick, but easily scratches.
Also, I'm actually on my 2nd toaster now, not because of the pan, but the actual toasting elements died on the first one.
However, that all being said, to have a device that can easily hard boil 4 eggs, or poach an egg with a push of a button, its just worth it.
Think about how much you'd spend for a breakfast sandwich, this will do it much cheaper.

Note:
- This will NOT cook meat, just warm it. Please use precooked meats on here, and follow their instructional guidelines.

The one one I bought from amazon is better quality than the original version I got.
I'm guessing a new revision.
It's quite a handy device if you're on the go and want a quick breakfast sandwich.
You can use whatever bread like substance you want.

It rocks.
'nuff said.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun kitchen gadget that works!, Sept. 26 2011
We love that this toaster because it is not only an interesting gadget, but it actually works! The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is that sometimes the English muffin isn't quite toasted as much as you'd like when the egg is ready. As well, to boil eggs, you are better to use medium eggs instead of large to get the right consistency.
But it works like a charm and saves on frying pan cleanup.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Morning Motivator :), Jan. 13 2012
Jessica Grace Vaillancourt (California to Canada) - See all my reviews
I received this toaster from my husband for Christmas and it was the best gift I've gotten in years. I'm a big fan of the Starbucks turkey bacon breakfast sandwich and now I never have to spend money on one again. In just about 4 minutes I can make the perfect sandwich with any bread, meat or cheese I have in the house. I'm a new mom and with the tired morning I face it's nice to have this simple pleasure to look forward to in the morning :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool idea, Jan. 7 2012
The toaster is a cool idea being able to cook eggs and toast at the same time. The toaster does not toast the bread very evenly which drives my kids crazy. Sometimes the eggs don't cook enough for a soft boiled egg but I just have to work on the right amount of water to use then it will be fine. If they could work on the bread toasting evenly then it would be a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars money well spent, Dec 19 2012
This was a christmas gift for my boyfriend and it is used almost every day! It's a good way to eat healthier and you can make your own breakfast sandwhiches easily. My kitchen would not be complete without it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Teenager special, Dec 2 2012
Ordered this as a novelty item for Christmas last year, as we were making egg and ham muffins regularly anyways. This is the most used appliance in my kitchen! It has kept my son fed for the last year and it is easy to use, so he will make his own breakfast. Everyone in the family loves it. It was a good deal and arrived very quickly. Great Christmas gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars So practical!, Sept. 20 2012
Mrs. Jo-Anne M. Ediger (Windsor, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Love it! Love it! Does a great job consistently! Easy to clean! Works great and looks great on my counter!

4.0 out of 5 stars Saves time and money, Aug. 3 2012
Reza (ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
I've been using this for a couple of weeks. It replaced an older toaster. The toaster functionality is well, as expected. But what I love about it is that it's gotten me to eat breakfast at home rather than buy "breakfast" on the way to work.

Quick and easy egg muffins. It's also very very easy to clean. No complaints so far.

=== Update (after about one year of usage) ===

The single flaw with this thing is the little pan is not non-stick. It actually sticks pretty bad and after a while even the sticky quoting has been washed off in some areas. Therefore, I removed one star from my original 5 star review.

Still well worth the money and a great time saver!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, May 21 2012
Angela R. Gottfred "agottfre" (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a nearly-identical Hamilton Beach breakfast maker that failed after several years. Prospective purchasers should note that the egg cooking cup is painted black, inside and out. It is *not* non-stick - you need to use cooking spray in order to get your egg out easily.
With the Hamilton Beach breakfast maker, it was only a few weeks before the black paint started to come off, as a result of using a knife to get the egg to pop out. I'm still using the original Hamilton Beach egg cup (which is now almost paint-free, after 3-4 years of use). If I had just bought this product for the first time, I think I would look for a small ceramic ramekin to cook my egg in instead, rather than risk eating paint flakes.
The toaster has a handy crumb tray and toasts very reliably even if you do one egg sandwich after another.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›