5.0 out of 5 stars biggest comeback of the year
mariah's back with this awesome album!! some of my favourites are we belong together (already at #1), get your number and joy ride. all the songs are really great--
Track Listing: (not in order)
your girl: this is a mix between rnb and mariahs trademark ballads, showcases her high vocal range
we belong together: i love this song, rly good lyrics and...
Published on June 20 2005 by shelley

2.0 out of 5 stars Mimi's Emancipation... Not So Successful
This album is Mariah's comeback.

Album Cover: 5/5
I love the original album cover, the one where she is wearing gold in a triumphant pose. This one looks very ugly.

1. It's Like That: 4/5
Love this song. The beat is so familiar and dancey, and its lyrics will have you singing along in no time.

2. We belong Together: 5/5
The...
Published on June 2 2008 by Qian Song

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars biggest comeback of the year, June 20 2005
Track Listing: (not in order)
we belong together: i love this song, rly good lyrics and heartfelt (watch the music video, you'll see what im talking about)
to the floor: really upbeat, dance track
stay the night: this is another mix between rnb and ballady type song
shake it off: another good party mix, not as upbeat as others
say something: showcases mariahs feathery voice i rly love this song
one and only: showcases her high vocal range, she sings rly fast in this song, this is half slowdance half upbeat dance track (with busta rhymes)
mine again: this is a real ballad, reminds me of never too far from the glitter album
joy ride: this an inspirational song, sort of a ballad
it's like that: a real dance track
i wish you knew: another ballad, i love her voice in this one
get ur number: i love this one!! its rly upbeat.. with JD i love it
fly like a bird: another inspirational song, like joy ride
circles: more ballad than rnb, this ones kind of repetitive but i like it
secret love: this is a bonus track which u might not get on ur cd, upbeat dance, i dont rly think theres a melody to it but it would be good in a club
sprung: this is another bonus track, another good track for a club, features her high vocal range at the beginning
all in all this is an AWESOME album that all mariah fans should have!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars We Belong Together for EVER! LAMBS!, June 9 2009
Aaron B. (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emancipation Of Mimi (Audio CD)
Mariah has created the comeback album of this century! It is amazing! The cover is beautiful each song comes together almost like a rebirth. This is the album that made me a HUGE FAN and has become one of my all time favorites. It's Like That is a great opening for the album. We Belong Togther is best comeback song ever and is one of her best singles ever! Shake It Off is sexy song that made a perfect fallow up to We Belong Together. Say Somethin' is another great dance number and Mine Again is beautiful. Don't Forget About Us is an awsome song that is another favorite of mine on the CD. Fly Like a Bird is just inspiration. Other great songs are One And Only, Makin' It Last All Night, Joy Ride, Get Your Number and I Wish You Knew. BUY IT AND YOU WILL LOVE IT!! THIS IS AN GREAT ALBUM!

4.0 out of 5 stars Comeback Queen!, Jan. 24 2008
This review is from: Emancipation Of Mimi (Audio CD)
I was a bit skeptical about this re-release because I usually don't like re-releases. That's why I took off one star. The bonus tracks and the DVD are good nonetheless.

1. IT'S LIKE THAT - As she has done on many of her albums, she started the CD with an up-tempo track which is a good decision. "It's Like That' is the perfect single to start her comeback year. It's a fun, light, party song with a bumping beat.

2. WE BELONG TOGETHER - Her surprise 16th No.1 single on the Hot 100. I think it was the perfect song to have as her comeback No.1 hit. It has all the things that people love about Mariah's singles: an amazing vocal performance, a great beat, and it's a mid-tempo ballad. It's a beautiful song. I love the melody.

3. SHAKE IT OFF - Her biggest No.2 single ever, at 6 weeks. I didn't like this at first, but it certainly grew on me. The cool R&B groove that it has is very infectious. Everyone says it sounds like an Usher styled song, but I see it as a Jermaine Dupri styled song. After all, he produced most of Ushers hits.

4. MINE AGAIN - This is a great song! It's a classic old school R&B-styled ballad. She sings the hell out of it, but at times she's kind of yelling. But all-in-all, a great vocal performance. Great melody.

5. SAY SOMETHING (f/ Snoop Dogg) - This is the song that introduced most people to MIMI, since it got leaked last November. A lot of people aren't feeling this song, but I love it!!. I love the beat, the lyrics, and the amazing Neptunes production. There's been so much debate about this song being a single, but it looks like it's not gonna happen. This is definitely a good club song though.

6. STAY THE NIGHT - This is one of my favs on the album. I like the piano sample that's going through the back, and the old school eat. It kind o reminds me of "The Roof", except in this song, Mariah belts out the lyrics. They sound great and the chorus is really catchy.

7. GET YOUR NUMBER (f/ Jermaine Dupri) - This is another club hit that samples "Just an Illusion" by Imagination, with a Jermaine Dupri twist. He also sings the chorus, and it kind of sounds like Nelly. The beat in this song is crazy, I love it! The melody and lyrics are so catchy that you can't help but listen to it.

8. ONE AND ONLY (f/ Twista) - This is my least favorite song on the album, because it's not all that catchy. Mariah sings as fast as Twista though, which is impressive considering he's the fastest rapper in the world. It's a mid-tempo R&B/hip-hop song. It sounds like more of a Twista song then a Mariah Carey song.

9. CIRCLES - This song is amazing! Her voice sounds crystal clear and she really shows emotion in this song. It's an old school R&B styled song, it's kind of mid-tempo. It sounds very similar to Alicia Key's hit song "You Don't Know My Name".

10. YOUR GIRL - This is a very slick R&B song. It's very smooth and Mariah belts out the chorus and the second verse. This is also one of my favorites on the album.

11. I WISH YOU KNEW - This is a soul song that's done with a complete live band. I like the lyrics. The thing I like most about it is the sound of a live audience in the back, it really adds a lot to the song. I really like the horns in the back.

12. TO THE FLOOR (f/ Nelly) - This is another Neptunes' produced track. It sounds similar to Britney Spears "Boys". It's a very old school sounding funk song. Neptunes' did a great job with the production. Nelly's very charismatic in the song, and he overshadows Mariah.

13. JOY RIDE - This is the slowest song on the album. It's a modern R&B ballad. It's very soothing and nice. It sounds like something that should be on `Charmbracelet'.

14. FLY LIKE A BIRD - Now this is what you call a classic. This song is perfect, it features a live band. Also Mariah's voice builds up momentum the whole song until the end when the choir is singing the chorus and Mariah belts out the ad libs (Carry me home, oh, carry me hoooome). It's amazing. The lyrics, the voice of her pastor, everything. A perfect way to end the album (minus the bonus songs).

15. DON'T FORGET ABOUT US - This is basically a continuation of "We Belong Together". It sounds like a freestyle ballad that would've been released in the late 80's or early 90's. It's nothing new, but it has an amazing melody, and it's sure to be a huge radio smash. I love it.

16. MAKIN' IT LAST ALL NIGHT (WHAT IT DO) (f/ Jermaine Dupri) - This is another club-banger (I can't get enough of these!). It has the standard Jermaine Dupri up-tempo production. I really like the chorus. Mariah doesn't belt anything out in this song, but it suits it. The beat/rhythm is similar to Bow Wow and Ciara's "Like you", but faster. Great song!

17. SO LONELY (ONE & ONLY PART II) (f/ Twista) - This song kicks @$$!!! I can't wait to hear it at a club. It's a great R&B/ Hip-hop Collabo. It's much better than part one. Rodney Jerkins really outdid himself on this record. The beat is crazy, and Mariah sounds hot. Twista sounds good also. This features an extra verse by Mariah, which is kind of superfluous, but it doesn't take away from this amazing song.

18. WE BELONG TOGETHER REMIX (f/ Styles P & Jadakiss) - This sounds extremely similar to 3LW's "I Can't Take it" (Featuring Nas). Most of the lyrics are the same as the original. It has a really good beat, although I could do without the useless rapping by the two members of the Lox. Great remix, nonetheless, and it's a good addition to this CD.

All-in-all, I'm very happy for Mariah because no one expected her to have this massive comeback story, and this album was the perfect one to do the trick. I'm glad she's back doing what she does best: Delivering great club songs and ballads all with her amazing voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars CAREY ME HOOOME!!! CAREY ME HO-OOOOOME!!!!!!, Jan. 24 2008
This review is from: Emancipation Of Mimi (Audio CD)
I'm so proud of Mariah for having a comeback when everyone said that her career was over.

14. FLY LIKE A BIRD - Now this is what you call a classic. This song is perfect, it features a live band. Also Mariah's voice builds up momentum the whole song until the end when the choir is singing the chorus and Mariah belts out the ad libs (Carry me home, oh, carry me hoooome). It's amazing. The lyrics, the voice of her pastor, everything. A perfect way to end the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars It IS the old Mariah, May 5 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Emancipation Of Mimi (Audio CD)
I strongly disagree with the "official" Amazon review for The Emancipation of Mimi. Mariah was the first artist that I could ever say I was a fan of. In fact, the first album I ever bought was Mariah's MTV Unplugged. She was one of my favourites all the way through Daydream, and then fell off my radar. Although, even though she hasn't been popular for a long time, no one can say that she hasn't had any hits. All of her albums except the last two, Glitter and Charmbracelet, have spawned big hits. Anyway, with Mimi, Mariah has returned to her R&B roots. This album is soulful. It is without huge hype. With this album, unlike recent ones, I do not feel that Mariah is trying to establish herself as a hip hop ghetto girl. Where the Beyonce references come from, I have no idea. Beyonce's album was heavily-influenced by old school, but her image is becoming excessively ghetto-gangsta. Mimi has some hip hop and old school influences, but the styling of the album is much more sophisticated. As for their voices, there is no mistaking Mariah. She's doing what she does best. As the "official" review states, Mimi is heavy on the ballads and mid-tempos, but they are wonderful. The "real" feel of this album intentionally allows us to hear subtle flaws in Carey's delivery, which only adds to the soulful styling and intimacy of the album, but Mariah's voice is not lacking. Her range and control are once again showcased on this album, and one will recognize again how hugely talented Mariah Carey is, and how the music industry is void of voices of this calibre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good work ,Mariah, April 20 2005
"The Emancipation of Mimi" is one of Mariah's finest album since 'Daydream' and "Butterfly". The greatest pop vocalist in history has returned to reclaim her title. She is to be credited for this album; it is a great effort that contains groovy hip-hop tunes and soulful R&B ballads that leaves you virtually satisfied. Standout tracks include "Its like that" "We belong together", "Circles" and "Wish you knew". The best song on the album however is "Fly like a bird" which is highly reminiscent of 'Music Box's' "Anytime you need a friend". Here, you hear the five octaved diva giving her all. She shows that she can still hit notes secluded in the 6th and 7th octave. This leaves you either amused or annoyed that she resorts to her (in)famous dog whistle.
However, there are certain instances where you hear that Mariah's voice is not the same. On certain tracks she over-employs the cloudy,breathy falsetto that distorts her diction. Also, at times her voice sounds forced as if she cannot comfortably hit the 'Patti' notes (in full voice) as she used to. Maybe she is trying too hard to show that she still has it; the result leaves you wondering how her voice got so rough.
A good effort none the less. Kudos to Mariah.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good work ,Mariah, April 20 2005
"The Emancipation of Mimi" is one of Mariah's finest album since 'Daydream' and "Butterfly". The greatest pop vocalist in history has returned to reclaim her title. She is to be credited for this album; it is a great effort that contains groovy hip-hop tunes and soulful R&B ballads that leaves you virtually satisfied. Standout tracks include "Its like that" "We belong together", "Circles" and "Wish you knew". The best song on the album however is "Fly like a bird" which is highly reminiscent of 'Music Box's' "Anytime you need a friend". Here, you hear the five octaved diva gives her all and shows that she can still hit notes secluded in the 6th and 7th octave. This leaves you either speechless and amused or annoyed that she resorts to her (in)famous dog whistle.
However, there are certain instances where you hear that Mariah's voice is not the same. On certain tracks she over-employes the cloudy,breathy falsetto that distorts her diction. Also, at times her voice sounds forced as if she cannot comfortabely hit the 'Patti' notes (in full voice) as she used to. Maybe she is trying too hard to show that she still has it; the result leaves you wondering how her voice got so rough.
A good effort none the less. Kudos to Mariah, She has

5.0 out of 5 stars Mimi's Back, Oct. 23 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Emancipation Of Mimi (Audio CD)
I totally disagree with the offical review of Amazon. Mariah Carey is an exceptional singer.. With her 5 optive voice and unfogettable collaborations, there is no mistake that she is the best female artist in the world. The Emancipation of Mimi, as definetly brought Mariah Carey back onto the music scene. The album has many hit including WE BELONG TOGETHER, who gave Mariah Carey her 15th number one hit. THe bast year she as one many awards including the Worlds best selling R & B Female artist, and the Worlds Best Pop Female Artist. She Also picked up entertainer of the year from the world Music Award and got the most nominations for the AMA's. Mariah is BACK..This is an excellent album and I reccomend anyone to buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mimi's Emancipation... Not So Successful, June 2 2008
Qian Song - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emancipation Of Mimi (Audio CD)
This album is Mariah's comeback.

Album Cover: 5/5

1. It's Like That: 4/5

2. We belong Together: 5/5
The best song of Mariah's career. Its piano beginnings to full-volume outros make this a great treat.

3. Shake It Off: 5/5
A great song with a great attitude!

4 - 14: 1/5
The rest of the record is total trash.

Overall Rating: 2/5

Since its release, this has sold over 9,000,000 copies worldwide.

5.0 out of 5 stars mariah is AWESOME!!!!!!!, Oct. 27 2005
This review is from: Emancipation Of Mimi (Audio CD)
omg mariah carey so rocked in her songs and i think that she should of won like dozens upon thousands of awards...and her song "stay the night" and "get yout number" totally rocked my speakers and i think that it should do with every american along with such as china,russia,canada,and much more!!! so in conclusion:mariah carey is a vocaly and mentally talented and her producers SHOULD be proud of the work she has put into the songs that they write!!! so i would think twice..buy the cd and then listen to the songs over and over and hear all the beautiful twists of notes and beats go together........

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Emancipation Of Mimi
Emancipation Of Mimi by Mariah Carey (Audio CD - 2005)