It is the early 1800's and King Mongkut of Siam (Yul Brynner) realizes that a good education is necessary to survive and also paramount for the survival of Siam. So he sends off for a teacher for his many offspring.

His choice a widow Anna Leonowens (Deborah Kerr) and her son Louis Leonowens (Rex Thompson).

King Mongkut does not keep a promise of a...
Published on July 23 2006 by bernie

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie; DVD *not* Anamorphic
I confess I only chapter-skipped through this DVD. After I put it on and discovered it is *not* anamorphically formatted (i.e. not specially formatted for wide screen tv's), then I "boycotted" this Fox release by not watching it.
Published on July 18 2004 by Matt Howe

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical based on Margaret Landon's novel Anna and the King of Siam, July 23 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The King and I (Widescreen) (DVD)

King Mongkut does not keep a promise of a separate living quarter for Anna and her son. He also is smug and overbearing. This will lead to several things he did not plan on including a Siam's play version of "Uncle Tom's Cabin" With little Lisa on the ice flows.

Mean while The King's son Prince Chulalongkorn (Patrick Adiarte) seems to be more amenable to leaning the ways of the western world.

Can the king save Siam from the imperialists?
Will Anna be a help?

There was an earlier film version of this story "Anna and the King of Siam" with Irene Dunne and Rex Harrison which has a different feel. The other film does not have the advantage of talent music of Rodgers & Hammerstein.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie; DVD *not* Anamorphic, July 18 2004
Matt Howe "outloud98" (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King and I (Widescreen) (DVD)
Come on, Fox. In 2004 more people own wide screen tvs than ever before. I *hate* popping in a disk that would look gorgeous on my wide screen, only to discover that I must watch it in "square" format with a letterbox.
The gorgeous KING AND I deserves a good, anamorphic transfer to DVD. And while you're at it, please send a memo to Universal to release VERTIGO in anamorphic format as well.
Yes, there is a large segment of the DVD population who don't care about anamorphic format. But there are also a lot of us who *do*. And I'll stop renting and buying your films until you release them that way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful film that will be enjoyed many times more in the future., July 13 2013
This review is from: The King and I (DVD)
This was the perfect part created for Yul Brinner - all the actors were perfectly cast and the story will never get old.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic par excellance, March 29 2013
This review is from: The King and I (DVD)
In my estimation Ypou Brenners best movie ever. The story is as good as the granduer of the surroundings and the strength of both main characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic film that is sure to please older audiences, Jan. 26 2013
This review is from: The King and I (DVD)
A great film to view over the holiday season and with great sound and picture quality. They just don't make films like this anymore!
Yul Brynner is terrific as his potrayal of the beseiged but enlightened and good-hearted Siam tyrant! The third world was in an economics quandry of sorts, so don't be guilty and go out and buy a DVD of his. Or of course click.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed At What's Missing, April 22 2004
R E Nelson "rolnel2" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King and I (Widescreen) (DVD)
I recall seeing the original road show engagement of this in the mid-1950's and recall vividly seeing the "Shall I Tell You What I Think of You" (with Anna combing her hair as she sings it) and "My Lord and Master" in that showing and being disappointed that the subsequent theatre, television, and video showings did not have those performances included. I was hoping the DVD would include all of the original material and am disappointed that it evidently does not. Still and all, I love the film and still love watching it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not "Something Wonderful" This Time Around, March 1 2003
Nix Pix (Windsor, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King and I (Widescreen) (DVD)
Yul Brynner's performance in "The King And I" must stand out as one of a handful of truly memorable film performances. Rodgers and Hammerstein's sweeping musical/drama has been the subject of much critical debate. The Siamese continue to feel that both the play and the film present their monarch as a simple thug converted by colonialism as represented, at least here, by the stunning person of Deborah Kerr. As a musical this is definitely one of the all time greats. It's just such a shame that Fox, the company responsible for this DVD, hasn't realized this. The non-anamorphic DVD is loaded with digital imperfections, aliasing, shimmering, grain and dirt that make for a pretty dismal visual presentation. Also, extras are zero, not even a featurette or interviews. What a disappointment. This is definitely a title that needs to be revisited and soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Edited Version, April 4 2006
N. Kenneth Jack (Vernon, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King and I (Widescreen) (DVD)
This DVD has been edited. The scenes where Anna tells the King that he is spoiled and suggests that he "give me a kick if it pleases your majesty" has been taken out of the movie.
I am sure some 'bleeding heart liberal' had at some time insisted this scene be removed but I feel it takes an important part of the relationship between Anna and the King out of the play.

5.0 out of 5 stars KING AND I, Jan. 24 2011
This review is from: The King and I (DVD)
DVD arrived on time and in excellent condition. i found "the intermissions" dated, but the movie was shown in 1956. i love this movie and Yul Brenner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic movie. But missing too many great songs!, March 13 2004
Lou "L.S" (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King and I (Widescreen) (DVD)
The King And I, Is a fantastic film. A great adaption from stage to film. The peformances by Brynner and Kerr are simply amazing, and the beautiful Rita Moreno does a spectacular job as playing the slave Tuptim. I'm sure you know the story, so I won't go on about that. I am most dissapointed with the cut of so many great songs, I understand the film was very long, but cutting many great songs makes the movie less enjoyable for me.
The songs cut for the film are Tuptim's beautiful "My Lord And Master", "The Royal Bangkok Academy", "A Puzzlement REPRISE", "Shall I Tell You What I Think Of You?", "Western People Funny", and Tuptim's and Lun Tha's "I Have Dreamed". In my opinion the two most drastic cuts are the beautiful "My Lord And Master", and "I have Dreamed", which are considered two of the most beautiful and powerful songs in the whole score. LUCKILY! Those two songs were recorded along with "Shall I Tell you..." So its great we get to hear Rita Moreno on Tuptim's other songs, even though Rita had slight augmenting done with her high notes by another woman, for most part it was Rita's voice, and her voice was beautiful indeed. Sadly, songs like Lady Thiang's and Wive's hilarious "Western People Funny" was not recorded, And I think the song is fantastic.
Otherwise, the cut of those wonderful songs, are the only dissapointment for me. So this movie is amazing. I highly recommend this masterpiece. The DVD is great, with great bonus features, and being remastered..the picture quality is great.
Get this DVD, and enjoy a classic musical!

ARRAY(0xb2096084)

The King and I
The King and I by Walter Lang (DVD - 2009)
CDN$ 21.98 CDN$ 14.50