5.0 out of 5 stars Need a new addiction?, Feb. 4 2006
This review is from: Black Books: The Complete First Series (DVD)
This is one of the best comedy series ever made! I'm not usually the type to laugh out loud when watching TV, but Black Books made me laugh so hard I actually got cramps. Like British humour? You'll love this. Dylan Moran as Bernard Black, the drunk and sadist Irish bookshop owner, is deliciously horrible. Bill Bailey is hilarious as Manny, Bernard's new employee who likes lamps but is not gay. And Tasmin Greg brings a feminine though not so elegant touch as Fran, one of the only person who still calls Bernard a friend.
«You'll laugh, you'll cry, it'll change your life...»

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly inane, Feb. 9 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Black Books: The Complete First Series (DVD)
When I first saw these raucous characters on TV, I couldn't believe my eyes. And yet, five minutes later, I was laughing my head off. Every episode brings their madcap absurdity to new levels of hilarity. I'm so happy they're finally out of DVD, and I can hardly wait for seasons 2 and 3!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, Jan. 3 2006
This review is from: Black Books: The Complete First Series (DVD)
Having been a great fan of British comedy for years, I once asked some friends of mine, and fellow fans of the show Spaced, to recommend me some other great Brit-coms. This was number 1 on many of their lists. I was fortunate enough to see all three series and I recommend the show highly. Dylan Moran's character is so awful, but so funny and you just can't help but love him. The supporting cast is excellent and the jokes actually make me laugh out loud. My only problem with the show is the laugh track that is all too reminiscient of those North American sit-coms that made me turn to the Brit ones in the first place. The show is a high enough quality, however, that I can ignore the laugh track and just enjoy. Fabulous guest stars like Kevin Eldon and Simon Pegg (who's episode is one of my favourites) make the show irresistable. If you like British comedy, watch it, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best damn dvd's EVER !, April 24 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Black Books: The Complete First Series (DVD)
I remember watching this tv series when i was a minor... i found it funny then but now i cant get enough of this ! If drunk humor is your thing stop reading this and buy this ! Its worth its weight in gold and wine...

5.0 out of 5 stars Tear-inducing bliss, March 30 2006
J. Killmer (Manatus) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Books: The Complete First Series (DVD)
If you like drunken, loutish misanthropes, this is the disc for you.
And please, BBCAmerica, for the love of all that is Good and Holy, release the other two seasons on region 1 encoded discs!

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 of the funniest series Ive ever seen, April 1 2013
This review is from: Black Books: The Complete First Series (DVD)
Complete insanity from beginning to end! Loved every episode. Just waiting for Series 2 and 3 to arrive. I highly recommend this one

Black Books: The Complete First Series
Black Books: The Complete First Series by Nick Wood (DVD - 2006)
CDN$ 74.54