5.0 out of 5 stars Can't get better;
This movie has been a long time coming and hasn't had an easy time of it. Through the process of not knowing if it would even come to term, to having the release date pushed back, dozens of pre-screening sneak peeks, to most recently fearing about the state of the box office and what that means for futue Serenity-related releases. Strip all the drama away and, even as a...
Published on Nov. 2 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch it twice
The first time i saw it i was disappointed, it just wasn't as much fun as the show. But, after watching it again i enjoyed it much more.
Published 7 months ago by corby

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Better or worse than the show? I got no answers., Dec 25 2007
Trevor Page "Browncoat" (Canada) - See all my reviews
In many details I think the movie went in the wrong direction, but in many others it took the good path. Either way, it's Firefly and there ain't much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best movie you Never Owned, Feb. 27 2009
Andy Ortman - See all my reviews
I remember the first time I saw this movie on a the Space Channel...I thought it would suck because I'd never heard of it....Silly Man!!
I fell in love with this movie and since has become my favorite movie of all time!!! You will not be disappointed, I cannot rave enough, it's a sin this movie never got a sequel but perhaps that is why it is so sweet...It was never ruined and it leaves you craving for more... So why not get more right? The series Firefly was cancelled after 1 season because Fox is a bunch of scumbag bastards who sabotaged the series wholeheartedly. This series is more like a bunch of movies...effects that are gorgeous all the cast from the Movie you won't be disappointed. The movie is set 5 months after the last episode of season 1 so if you watch the season first than you will have a real good grasp of the movie. It is the best series I have ever seen and it's a goram sin it was cancelled...got that...Shiny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Now the Best Science Fiction Film (BBC Poll), May 21 2007
Laurence R. Hunt "Laurence Hunt" (Kenora, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Serenity (Widescreen Edition) (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
The BBC has just rated Serenity the best science fiction film, edging out the original Star Wars. Why? To start, Joss Whedon has an uncannily clear vision of what he is doing. Second, he communicates this vision to his actors, who communicate it to us. Third - this film is true science fiction. That is, it establishes an imaginable future, and illustrates how real people might live in such a future. That is, this is not an action or suspense film in disguise. It is actually about how people might live under an imaginable set of future circumstances. The most brilliant cinematic touches are those that make the future real, and this includes taking time to focus the camera and the story on day to day life between dramatic events. Yes, there is plenty of action for the amygdala-driven viewer, but there is also plenty of stimulus for the prefrontal cortex - for those who find thinking as well as action interesting. Classic science fiction returns to the screen - and this as the Star Wars franchise seems to be devolving and unwinding. Perhaps with enough DVD sales, there could be a Serenity II. Buy this disc. (More on this topic on my blog: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad I didn't follow the series when it was on the air, Dec 7 2009
N. Speers (Calgary, AB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serenity (Widescreen Edition) (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
This movie turned me onto the series - which of course went off the air some time ago. I'd liked other Joss Whedon shows a lot - but didn't really "get" Firefly when it was on the air, mostly because I didn't have time to sit down and watch a whole episode. Once I sat down and watched it - really really enjoyed it.

Enough about that, you're saying, what about the movie? An excellent story with a superb ensemble cast is the short version. Don't get hung up on his literal take on the "cowboys in space" theme - the story really reaches in the idea of "empire" building and society's attempts to control its subjects. A bit of the Frankenstein aftermath of that attempted control. Along with way you enjoy the characters, cheer the underdog, and mourn those who don't make it. Highly recommend this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serenity: It will grab you, Sept. 26 2010
I rented Serenity a few years ago on a whim, and loved it. I have since watched it a few more times, and recently bought this Bluray version. I don't know what it is about this movie, but I just don't get tired of watching it. Unlike many high budget sci-fi movies of late, Serenity relies more on plot, and believable characters rather than mind-blowing special effects. It is hard to characterize this movie in terms of genres. It is kind of a sci-fi, western, action, romantic, comedy? Meaning it has aspects of all those genres. The Bluray version makes watching it over again that much more compelling. I haven't met anyone yet who didn't like this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop the Signal, Dec 23 2005
Paul A. Gilbert (Essex, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serenity (Widescreen Edition) (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
Josh has given us another way to consider science-fiction and it couldn't happen at a better time.
Serenity is the continuation of the short lived series 'Firefy'. If you are a fan you will appreciate the fact all your friends are back: Mal, Zoe, Wash, Jayne & others. The movie gives some information on how the 'Verse was started & the story of Simon and River.
The acting & the writing is top-notch, what you would expect from Josh. The movie is hunourous & suspenseful. As I said this may be the new direction for sci-fi

4.0 out of 5 stars Alberta Boy Makes Good, Sept. 26 2010
Andrew Plait "Guybrary Tech" (Medicine Hat, AB) - See all my reviews
I wasn't aware of Firefly when it was on TV, but went to see Serenity at the theatre.
I enjoyed the sci-fi/western combo, but when I learned that Nathan Fillion (Capt. Malcolm Reynolds) was from Alberta, it made me love the show all the more.
The storyline seems, for the most part, to pick up where Firefly left off, aside from the introduction where Simon rescues River from the grasp of the Alliance. I really enjoy the world that Serenity is set in, too, with the mixture of English & Chinese for language, old west garb. A really enjoyable watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch it twice, April 14 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars go Serenity!! woot woot!, Jan. 24 2008
Angela Cookson "clevrgrl" (toronto ontario) - See all my reviews
I loved it. I loved the series, I loved the movie. I'm not going to go int more than that... except to say that I would have loved it even more would the stupid network not have cancelled the show in the first place so I could have watched the arc and story line and character development that would have broght us from the last episode of the series to the movie. whew... quite the run-on )

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorram Genius, Dec 22 2005
This review is from: Serenity (Widescreen Edition) (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
Serenity IS the next big thing. It has everything: ragtag heroes, a totalitarian empire, action, drama, wit, and grandeur. The only thing that prevented it from becoming a blockbuster was the network's poorly-conceived decision to cancel Firefly, the show on which Serenity was based. But that's besides the point. If you like Sci-fi, you absolutely MUST check this out.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Serenity (Widescreen Edition) (Sous-titres français)
CDN$ 13.99 CDN$ 11.98