4.0 out of 5 stars Decent hatchet
I bought this hatchet (from MEC actually) prior to a West Coast Trail excursion two years ago. Since then, I've used it on five backpacking trips, all at least 5 days long.

Published on March 5 2012 by dresden_k

3.0 out of 5 stars so so
Good product, packaging was ripped to shreds which i had to fix before wrapping. Take some care to ship it properly
Published 18 months ago by scott bellerby

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent hatchet, March 5 2012
This review is from: Gerber 22-41420 Gator Combo Axe II (Tools & Hardware)

I found that this hatchet is fairly well weighted, and that the handle retains grip even in the rain. The metal will develop superficial rust in the presence of salt water spray (didn't touch the ocean directly), on spots, but this is not uncommon with metal that isn't stainless steel or the sort.

The saw on the other hand... the saw is held in the handle with magnets. The magnets hold it in the handle OK, but I had my saw fall out a few times with the hatchet strapped to my thigh while hiking. The saw also came out halfway a few times while vigorously hatcheting. I usually left the saw out when I used the hatchet.

My recommendation would be to get the Gerber hatchet without the saw and bring a pocket-chain-saw type saw instead. The saw is pretty hard to use anyway.

tl;dr, a decent hatchet but the saw leaves a little to be desired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Sept. 13 2013
This review is from: Gerber 22-41420 Gator Combo Axe II (Tools & Hardware)
They fixed the saw so it doesn't fall out any more. Saw works amazingly. Hatch does a great job splitting wood. I am very please with the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome hatchet, April 24 2014
This review is from: Gerber 22-41420 Gator Combo Axe II (Tools & Hardware)
Having a saw in the handle is very handy. Hatchet is very sharp and holds an edge well. Lenght of the handle is short enough for backpacking but long enough to get a good swing and strike for chopping.

The only problem with this hatchet is the way the handle attaches to the head. Splinters get lodged in beside the plastic where it wraps around the head.

Great for chopping, pounding tent pegs, sawing branches etc...

5.0 out of 5 stars Gerber Combo Axe/Saw, Sept. 28 2013
This review is from: Gerber 22-41420 Gator Combo Axe II (Tools & Hardware)
I bought this product for back country canoe trips. When a box from Amazon arrived I thought there must have been a shipping error because the box was so light. I thought either the wrong item shipped or I ordered just the sheath.
To my surprise it was the axe. I was astounded by its light weight. I thought this is barely going to be noticed in my backpack.
The sheath fits perfect around the axe head and is very durable. The axe itself is very solid for its light weight. It was used as a hatchet and a hammer. The saw was tested for fun on varying thickness of branches and it made easy work of them.
I would recommend this tool for the hiker or paddler looking for a light weight hatchet with the added bonus of the saw for those just in case moments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for hiking, Sept. 5 2013
This review is from: Gerber 22-41420 Gator Combo Axe II (Tools & Hardware)
I was looking for a compact saw, and this fits the bill, at a great price point. Perfect for my needs

5.0 out of 5 stars Campers dream., April 29 2014
This review is from: Gerber 22-41420 Gator Combo Axe II (Tools & Hardware)
Throw this in even a small back pack and you are good to go.
Light and compact.
We bought two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great present, Jan. 18 2014
Robyn Buyer (Penticton, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gerber 22-41420 Gator Combo Axe II (Tools & Hardware)
Waiting on a review from the friend it's a gift for, but completely satisfied with the delivery and service. I will be trying to find him a shovel to go with it, that doesn't rely on the usps for delivering.

3.0 out of 5 stars so so, Dec 24 2012