5.0 out of 5 stars No drawbacks yet!
Previous to purchasing this blender we had an Osterizer, which cost $49 and did the tasks we asked of it. However, it always let us know that it was doing us a favor by working. Then one day, it stopped working.

Published on Oct. 21 2011 by k-whidd

1.0 out of 5 stars Good blender but blade can't be replaced
Published 22 months ago by Autumn

5.0 out of 5 stars No drawbacks yet!, Oct. 21 2011
This review is from: KitchenAid 5-Speed Blender with Polycarbonate Jar (Kitchen)

We had always talked about getting an industrial blender, such as a Vitamix TurboBlend VS Blender Vita-Mix (Tax Incl.), but felt the price-benefit ratio may not meet our criteria. While perusing small appliances at a department store, I became acquainted with the KitchenAid. This blender makes a good first impression. It feels like a small tank, similar to that of other trustworthy KitchenAid appliances I have grown to trust (proud owners of the classic KitchenAid mixer, and a rugged KitchenAid food processor). However, the department store price was nearing the top end of everyday consumer blenders at $229. After returning home, I did the typical consumer research for the KitchenAid over the internet (how much does it cost elsewhere, how product owners/testers reviewed it). I was shocked to find that amazon had the identical blender on sale for $90! But I couldn't make a rash purchase, purchase decisions often boil down to reading reviews. People complained about having trouble with the seal where the blade meets the jug. Others thought it was too noisy, and the lid didn't make a proper seal. Despite these minor flaws, we ordered it.

I effing love this blender. It may be a little loud, but this blender performs. It makes silky smoothies, and perfectly pureed soups. As opposed to the Osterizer, this blender feels like a tool that is ready and willing to perform anything you ask of it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good blender but blade can't be replaced, Nov. 21 2012
This blender works really well, but after 2 years of use the blade snapped. This is pretty common and shouldn't be a big deal to fix. But you can't buy a replacement blade because of the way the jar is made - it's all one piece. So when the blade breaks after your 1 year warranty expires, you have to spend $40 ($26 plus tax and shipping) to get a whole new jar, and throw out your perfectly good one. This is not good for people who plan to use it for many years and expect to be able to keep it in good shape with minor repairs.

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke after two years, Nov. 21 2012
This blender worked great for about two years. It was really powerful and could do thick dips, etc.

The rubber washers that hold the blade on failed - I ended up with bits of rubber washer in my brownie batter and a leaky jar. I called Kitchenaid, who said that while they had identified that leaking was a problem with this model, they were not taking any action about it yet and I should call back in a month or two. Not an acceptable resolution from my perspective. Seems like a waste to throw out the whole thing, as the motor seemed great, but I also don't want to spend more on a jar that might just break again!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, July 13 2011
I had been all set to provide a very very very positive review of this blender which I purchased after seeing how well it worked at a friends house, and was meeting all my needs until the jar, after approximately 5 weeks started to leak! My primary use of a blender is for the blending of ingredients for soup dishes, iced coffee and caiparenha! It was working beautifully until I discovered that the jar had begun to leak....I have reported the problem and since its still under warranty I have arranged to return it and receive a replacement which will hopefully not suffer a similar demise KitchenAid® 5-Speed Blender with Polycarbonate Jar - Metallic Chrome

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Choice, April 10 2010
This blender is very powerful. Crushes Ice into snow, leaves no pieces of frozen fruit in smoothies. If your thinking about spending over $500 on a Blendtec or Vitamix, try the Kitchen Aid blender first. Plus, the clean up on this blender is SO easy. There are no parts to take apart, you just fill 1/3 of the pitcher with water, add a drop of dishwashing liquid, and set it to the "stir" speed, then rinse. Very easy. Also, I was a bit aprehensive buying a blender that did not have a glass pitcher, but the Polycarbonate jar is excellent, lightweight but very durable.

You get a 1yr hassle free warranty. All in all, great buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Blender!!, May 17 2010
I did a bit of research before purchasing this blender and I can say with confidence that for the price point this is the best blender out there. It works wonderfully and has an easy clean up. If you're thinking about buying a blender and want something quality for a decent price, this is it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great blender -- until it starts smoking and burns out!!!, June 11 2013
I loved this blender. LOVED it. Which is why I am SO SAD to write this review. For spending a good amount of money on a blender, I thought that it would last longer than 2 1/2 years. This morning I got up to make my usual morning smoothie and the device started smoking. When I turned it off and looked underneath, the plastic parts that connect the jar to the base had stripped. Stripped completely!!! The thing is useless now! And worst of all, I feel like the money that I spent on this machine was a waste. I thought that buying a "good" brand name like Kitchenaid was an investment that would pay off. I hate being wrong. And now I need to find an alternative breakfast until I can afford another blender. :'-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Blender by KitchenAid, Feb. 12 2013
Operates fairly quietly and will crush ice. Large capacity is great, too. It matches up with other appliances that are on my counter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, Nov. 3 2012
I am very pleased with my new blender. It is very quiet and does a superb job. Only wish that I had tried a Kitchenaid years ago!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, but Canada site jacks up price when rebate available, Oct. 24 2012
T. Ijaz (United States) - See all my reviews
Using for a month now and would characterize as a good value. Solid quality, nice features, low price, especially with frequent rebates. Amazon.ca jacks up the price though when rebate available. Shady practice. U.S. site doesn't play these games.

KitchenAid 5-Speed Blender with Polycarbonate Jar