5.0 out of 5 stars A Heart So Marvelous
Published on June 22 2004 by Dakota

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick read for fun...an honest review
I am a JL fan, fortunately and unfortunately. Her books have provided me w/ hours and hours of entertainment. But they are very addictive. Literally, once I begin a JL book, I can't put it down until I finish.
Published on Jan. 14 2004 by caprice

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heart So Marvelous, June 22 2004
Dakota "daxydakota" (Southern California) - See all my reviews
"A Heart So Wild" was the first JL I ever read, and it is probably the book I compare all her other stories to. The first time I read it was around 12 or 13 years ago. I just reread it this weekend, and it was just as fresh and exciting as the first time! Chandos is one of the most rugged, dangerous, sexy, and altogether tragically romantic heroes JL has created (only Colt Thunder of "Savage Thunder" can beat him as the ultimate JL hero, in my opinion). Courtney, though timid and shy at first, has so much spirit and grows so much in Chandos' care, that she's wonderful to watch. It was exceptionally fun to see how Cateyes (as Chandos called her) handled being attacked by that monstrous gunslinger Pretty Boy and, much later, by Calida - a beautiful rival for Chandos' affections - in an unforgetable catfight. Hero and heroine aside, the love scenes are hot, the plot is fast-paced and interesting, the supporting characters are memorable, and the action is intense. Plus, there is a dark side to this story that will immediately grab hold of you, making you want vengeance as much as Chandos. I highly recommend reading "A Heart So Wild," especially if you like the Wild West and Indian stories. I did finished reading its sequal "All I Need Is You" yesterday, and must admit I didn't care for it. The sequal in no way had as much passion, daring, or heartache as in "A Heart So Wild."

4.0 out of 5 stars Lindsey At Her Best, April 17 2002
Kristi Ahlers (Illinois) - See all my reviews
The story of Courtney and Chandos is classic Lindsey.
Chandos is a dark mysterious stranger who helps Courtney while she is shopping in a general store. What Courtney does not remember is this is not the first time this man has saved her life. She had met him 4 years earlier in an indian attack where he spared her life. Courtney's life is not the happiest, she lives with a nasty stepmother and has dreams of leaving her life of drudgery to find true love. While reading a newspaper she thinks she sees a picture of her father. She thought that he had been taken in the indian attack 4 years earlier so she is thrilled to have a chance of finding him. Trouble is he is in Texas and she is in Kansas. Chandos is someone she feels safe with so askes him to take her there. He agrees after awhile and they both embark on a trip that will change them both for the better.
Read this book. It is classic Lindsey at her best. The characters are likeable and the bad guys bad! You are guaranteed a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, with a few exceptions, March 20 2001
What is different about this book compared to other books by Johanna Lindsey it's that is very, very dramatic and intense. From the ones I have read, the only one which comes close in dramatism is "Savage Thunder". (This does not mean that I don't like the other ones... I like them very much, but they have other qualities: intense romance and funny dialogues, especially). But Chandos, the hero of A Heart So Wild, stands apart in the gallery of male characters created by Mrs. Lindsey. He is a troubled man, which has suffered a great deal in the past and is now seeking to avenge his loved ones. He is also torn between his two sides, because he is a white man raised among indians and he does not fit in perfectly in either place. He is very complex and he is not the usual hero: he has no trouble killing people and even torturing them... if he feels he is rigth. Sure, Angel did the same thing, but Chandos is even more ruthless. In the beggining of the book I was even wondering how Mrs. Lindsey plans to redeem him, but she did...
Unlike most of her novels, A Heart So Wild has a dark setting (of course, I don't mean nighttime... I mean I felt all the time that something somber is looming above) and no funny passages. I loved the mood it created.
Another aspect I have also loved was that the relationship between the two was that of equals, as it should be between man and woman. They are very different, but he doesn't try to dominate her or punish her or tell her what to do more than it is natural. I liked this because I am rather dissappointed with those of Mrs. Lindsey books in which the hero is the prototype of the domineering male and spanks, or worse, rapes the heroine.
A nice touch was added by the fact that Chandos and Courtney had met before, when she was just a teenager, four years or so before the actual action starts. Although she doesn't know it was him, the encounter had a very powerful effect on Chandos and influences many of his actions.
The book is very good, and is not the usual romance story. It raises many other issues, about racial prejudices and human cruelty, about injustice. It is quite violent in some places. I dodn't mind, as the violence was justified and was part of the hero's character.
However, I only give it 4/5 because of Courtney. The heroine did not quite convince me; I will most probably forget her very soon, unlike Jessica Fleming or Georgina Anderson, for example. I don't know where Mrs. Lindsey failed, because she did try. Courtney is not plain, she actually does some things, makes decisions, but she does not stand on her own. I could understand Chandos, why he felt bound and attracted to her, what determined his actions, but I cannot say the same for Courtney. When and why she became attracted to him was not clear to me. She was just sketched as a character.
Having said all this, I only want to say that of all Mrs. Lindsey books, I liked the Mallory books (especially those about Tony, James and Derek) and the westerns: Angel (***** !!!), Savage Thunder (also *****), Tender Is The Storm. I also liked Until Forever, Man Of My Dreams and Once A Princess. I did not care much for When Love Awaits, Warrior's Woman or Silver Angel and I hated A Pirate's Love. This should tell you something about my tastes and if we coincide, this review should help.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down!, Oct. 11 2000
J. Austin "jodylync" (Dublin, OH United States) - See all my reviews
Chandos is a man with a secret past, a gunfighter hunting down a group of men who performed an act so atrocious, it still haunts him four years later. Courtney Harte is a lovely, shy young woman who is unaware of her own sexuality. Believing that her father is dead, Courtney slaves for her stepmother until she sees a news photo of a man resembling her father. Could he be alive? When Courtney meets Chandos, she feels safe. He reminds her of someone who might of helped her in her past. Because of this, she asks him to take her to Waco to find her father. But Chandos knows something that Courtney does not remember. She does know him and the revelation could be quite terrifying.
Johanna Lindsey sweeps us back to survival in the Old West. Men are men and women are women and everyone must fight to survive. Chandos is dark and mysterious, a man with a past. Courtney is shy and easily frightened, but comes into her own as they journey through Indian Territory to Waco. A wonderful love story! One of Lindsey's best!

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick read for fun...an honest review, Jan. 14 2004
caprice (Miami, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I find that they are very, very easy to read. You can get the gist of the story by just reading the first sentence of every paragraph, skipping boring parts, and just thoroughly reading the good parts. Basically, I am assuming the reason for reading a JL book is for the romance/sex. There's nothing wrong w/ that if you have some free time.
But I wish I never heard of Johanna Lindsey, b/c then I'd be reading other books and genres, and growing more, intellectually.
Read it only if you really have to, or just skip the temptation and save yourself. This is a book I will easily forget, haven't learned much from, but enjoyed nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tale of Passion in the Wild West, Sept. 29 2001
By A Customer
Whether Ms. Lindsey is writing about pirates' adventures, kidnappings by Arabian sheiks, the dalliances of English noblemen, Viking raids, or, as in this one, gunslingers in the wild, wild, west, she manages to create an authenic atmoshere that is totally enthralling and entertaining. This is another of her success stories. It is about a family travelling across the unsettled west that is seperated during an Indian raid. The daughter finds evidence that her father is alive and sets out to find him with the help of the man she hires to protect her, a man of mystery who is a handsome gunslinger. Great characters and storyline. Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars all time favorite book and hero, Oct. 23 2001
By A Customer
this is the best book i have ever read. i fell in love with chandos. his depth is was what really got me. he was so tortured by his past and good at being a man. what i wouldn't do for him. the story had twists and turns that i didn't even see coming. it really kept me turning the page. i loved it!! the only complaint i have about this book (a little one) is courtney. i wish she could have been a little more stronger and not so vunerable but other then that i loved it!!!!!! whoever hasn't read this book should very soon. they don't know what they are missing. Johanna lindsey at her very best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book - Can't wait to read "All I Need Is You", Jan. 27 2001
J. Jeske "sound21" (Green Bay, WI USA) - See all my reviews
I found that this book was a little gruesome in the beginning but it soon grabbed all my attention. I couldn't put it down and finished it in just a few hours of reading. As soon as I was done, I read the beginning of the sequal "All I Need Is You" at the back of the book. I immediately jumped on line to see if I could order it so I could continue reading. A Heart So Wild will diffently be passed on to family and friends and then read again by me!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the sweetest romances..., March 7 2000
I was so enthralled by A Heart So Wild that I practically cried when I finished it. Chandos's character was unbelievably masculine, yet vulnerable and tender when it came to Courtney. I was thoroughly engrossed in their trail ride and the ordeals they went through to get to their separate destinations--and how they were led right back to each other!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heart So Wild is a masterpiece,I love Johanna Lindsey !!!!, Jan. 30 1999
By A Customer
The book is splendid,it has a good setting and I always love a good hard male character!!!! And Courtney is not Ms.helpless herself and I like that too.I really wished that the book we go on longer after Chandos declared his love for Courtney but I would never presume to change anything of Mrs.lindsey's. I enjoy all of her books !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A Heart So Wild
A Heart So Wild by Johanna Lindsey (Hardcover - 1986)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01