5.0 out of 5 stars The Doctor is Back and Better Than Ever
I was a huge fan of Doctor who has a kid growing up on Tom Baker. Towards the end of it's run though the show had in my view run out of magic and was a shadow of the Tom Baker ERA. With a terrible 1996 film version nailing the coffin into the series for good I never gave much thought to the possibility of a new series.
Skeptical as I was hearing that the show...
Published on Feb. 27 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good series but disapointed by the box set...
I didn't expected much from this series but I was very positively surprised. I never watched the old series and can't compare them but I really liked this one! I would be interested in buying a box set, but not this one.
Published on March 16 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars The Doctor is Back and Better Than Ever, Feb. 27 2006
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Doctor Who: The Complete First Series (5DVD) (DVD)
Skeptical as I was hearing that the show was being made again I decided to watch the show to see the beloved blue box travel through time. Indeed, I was curious. After watching the show on the CBC run it began to grow on me more and more. Gone were the laughable sets to a more sophisticated visually impressive slicker production.
More importantly though is the improved writing by Russell T. Davis who has made the best supporting character the show has ever had with the beautiful and exceptionally talented Billy Piper who unlike the damsel in distress is anything but in this series. The show Dalek which is the 6th episode in is the point where the show finds its true footing and begins to take off in political and social satire, the actors are in their groove and the show seems surer of itself. There are human stories here not the usual mania wants to destroy the universe repetitiveness of the older shows.
There is a lot of heart in this series and by the end of it I found myself truly caring about Rose and the Doctor.
The DVD has very clear picture excellent sound, and a lot of goodies sprinkled in like commentaries for every episode. There are 13 episodes here but in reality this would be the equivalent of 26 episodes for a normal half hour program in the old series. Each episode here is ~45 minutes. Add to this 14 segments of making of featurettes and 2-3 additional ones in each of the episode discs as well as a behind the scenes with the tenth doctor David Tennant who stars in the Christmas Special then it's a pretty fair deal.
Tom Baker is still king of the Doctors but Eccleston by the end is second best. The writing, overall cast performances, and effects are leagues better and more up to date than any I've seen from the old series. Episodes like Father's Day create genuine emotion that even a big tough guy like me had me go for a hanky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, Aug. 18 2006
JM Jellema "Mara" (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Doctor Who: The Complete First Series (5DVD) (DVD)
When I first saw Doctor Who when I was a small girl I hated it. Not so much the series, but the music! It was so scary. So I never really watched any of the episodes, although I do remember a long scarf! However, when I happened upon a repeat of the first new series: I was hooked. Fortunately BBC3 (I live in Europe) broadcast the whole new series with 2 episodes every evening: I stayed home for it! As soon as I had seen the first series, the second series was broadcast and repeated twice in the same week. I loved it. Absolutely loved it. It had me laughing at some of the funny one-liners and at times crying at the relationship between Rose and the Doctor. I bought the box-set (well, it was a gift from my sister), and have seen all the episodes at least 3 times now. Fantastic... The only thing that does bother me? The fact that the box in which the dvd's came was already damaged before I had completely unwrapped it. I have heard of this problem for the European release more often, I hope it is not the same in Canada.

Oh, and whatever the cost: It is soooooo worth it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back and Better Than Ever, Feb. 23 2011
PandtheB "newhon" (Surrey, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Doctor Who: The Complete First Series (5DVD) (DVD)
Doctor Who: The Complete First Series (5DVD)

First of all let me preface this review by saying that I never was the most avid Dr. Who fan. I would watch it, sure, but a lot of the cheesy effects really, really irritated me. I like some cheesiness, but some of those Dr. Who things were beyond ridiculous. I could have made better in my living room. So I was pleasantly surprised with the return of the series, which has just the right blend of cheesy and pretty darn good special effects, plots that range from good to great, and just enough humor to keep the whole thing in an official feel-good category. Russel T. Davies seems to have an endless supply of script ideas for the good doctor, who is ably played by Christopher Eccleston (I prefer David Tennant but Eccleston is just fine). The Complete First Season is a must for anyone who has an interest in the Dr. Who series--it explains a ton of later plot twists and in-jokes, even in later seasons. And all 13 episodes feature Rose, played by Billie Piper, the kind of girl everybody in the world wants to hang out with. The collector's edition has some great special features and behind-the-scenes info no Who fan in their right mind would miss out on. Pick this collection up, if you don't have it already. You'll be a fan of the good doctor's in no time. Beware the Daleks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, July 17 2009
Ce commentaire est de: Doctor Who: The Complete First Series (5DVD) (DVD)
Doctor Who is awesome, I just started watching it one night in the middle of an episode and I was hooked... So hooked. Ordering the box sets is the only decent way to watch it in Canada though, CBC sort of fails us by showing it so late. I don't care what it cost it was worth it to buy from a reputable site.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who First Series DVDs, June 2 2013
Ce commentaire est de: Doctor Who: The Complete First Series (5DVD) (DVD)
all DVDs worked smoothly and the TV series was very enjoyable
I would recommend this show to any science fiction fan

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Return For Doctor Who!, May 15 2006
Bob James "DOCTOR8" (Chicago, Il., USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Doctor Who: The Complete First Series (5DVD) (DVD)
This set is wonderful; all of the new Doctor Who first season episodes as well as all of the new "Doctor Who Confidential" behind the scenes episodes (one for each new episode of the series). The new series is great; I will refrain from any spoilers here so that the viewer can enjoy it all personally. Needless to say this set is well worth the price, and a MUST for any fan of Doctor Who. The new series is everything a Who fan could hope and so much more beyond that. Now, anyone who reads this, GO GET YOURS!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Show, Jan. 31 2006
Canuckfcuk (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Doctor Who: The Complete First Series (5DVD) (DVD)
I only sporadically watched (one of) the original versions of Dr Who in the 70s on TVO here in Ontario when I was still in primary school. I didn't care for it.
This latest version, however, exceeds all previous instalments of the series. The lead actors are great (although Billie Piper as 'Rose' can be a little to 'earnest' in her acting) and the effects and storylines take on a whole different level, keeping up with to-day's sensibilities.
To think it's a UK/Canadian production! Of course Canada is never mentioned in any of the storylines where as the US is all over the place (trying of course to potentially appeal to a lucrative US market).
$87.49 (plus tax), however, seems a bit pricey (expect it to be even more expensive in stores); there are only 13 episodes and this is a domestic release.
Regardless, the show is great and if you're a fan of Dr Who you wont be disappointed. Non-fans who are curious may wish to rent it when it becomes available, or buy it if they can find it for a considerably cheaper price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Are we #1? (NO SPOILERS barring end of Doc#9), Feb. 15 2006
vivalapsych (Adams Morgan, Washington DC, USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Doctor Who: The Complete First Series (5DVD) (DVD)
Is this little set the #1 best seller here as of Feb 17th 2006 at 7am EST? Nice... If you haven't seen this yet, I'm jealous. Eccelston really grew on me and I'm sad to see him go. There are many great moments over the series. I'm highly critical and must say the 1990's movie (besides Paul McGann's portrayal) was an abomination. Russell T (the series producer) does much better.
For me it took till about Episode 3 to be convinced the series was gonna be alright, though nothing before that horrified me. I'd say that out of the whole series I only found at most 10 or so moments that embarrassed my old Doctor Who sensibilities.
Overall it's great and I hope they can keep it up. Some of the old charm is lost but the show has always been about reinvention and this time they've pulled it off once again for a new audience..and an older one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good series but disapointed by the box set..., March 16 2006
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Doctor Who: The Complete First Series (5DVD) (DVD)
The price is discouraging, especially for a 12 episode season and, like the previous commenter mentionned, I'm surprised to see that the French track (which exist) wasn't included. I'll just wait to see if another version will be released. I guess all I can do now is to hope for Z Télé to repeat the season and record it the old fashionned way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest show EVER, March 7 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Doctor Who: The Complete First Series (5DVD) (DVD)
That's it, it's the greatest show ever.

The 9Th doctor is magnificent, and the stories are mesmerizing.

I've started to watch Doctor Who from this season, and I'm hooked to the Doctor since, you can start from there without watching the whole "classic" Doctor Who (but it's still à must to watch, nonetheless), and go one from there.

Only downside, when you're "up to date" with The Doctor, there's a great deal of waiting for the new episodes.

Doctor Who: The Complete First Series (5DVD)
CDN$ 99.90 CDN$ 89.99