5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating look at Dysfunction
Once you see this film you are hooked. It's as if Little Edie and Big Edie take over your senses. Perhaps one of the oddest films I've ever seen. Intially I didn't even know what to think..truly a bizarre slice of life these two women. It should not be missed.
Published on Dec 16 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars It's like watching an accident happen....
I'm actually kind of mixed on this DVD. This look into the lives of 2 reclusive women was interesting to me. But a friend with whom I viewed the film was appalled that we watched these people have the same fights over and over again. As a fan of biographies, though, I find other people's paths and choices fascinating. And I think I have more understanding of the...
Published on Jan. 31 2002 by MEM

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating look at Dysfunction, Dec 16 2003
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!, March 11 2014
This product arrived intact and was in working order. It was what I expected and I am happy. There are any negative things only positive.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beales of Grey Gardens (documentary), Aug. 4 2009
This review is from: Grey Gardens (Criterion Collection) (DVD)
These women were mesmerizing to observe. What a life.
The Maysles captured an amazing story.
Beautiful young Edie, lost in her own world. Big Edie trying to maintain her dreams. Together what a study of mother/daughter devotion.
You must purchase the movie with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange. These talented actresses portrayed these American high breds so perfectly through their rise and fall from debutante balls to pitiful social decay. Bravo

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu Gardens, April 17 2014
The movie is a classic, the transfer is the best I've seen, the extra features and 2nd movie are great... It's the must own version of this groundbreaking documentary. If you've never seen Grey Gardens, now is the time, grab the Criterion bluray version and peel back the layers of these women... you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully entertaining., Dec 3 2013
I enjoy the original grey gardens with the Beales I was a tad leery about this film.
This was extremely well done, one thing I enjoyed were the scenes viewings of the home after the Bradley's had purchased and restored it. Hard to believe vines, trees and raccoons were once occupants with the Beales.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent documentary, Aug. 26 2013
This review is from: Grey Gardens (Criterion Collection) (DVD)
this is a must see for all. Not only does it show their lives, but also how they think. Great film!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life in a Fishbowl...complete w/Flakes, April 5 2004
Tami (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
Happened to catch this on the IFC when first released...was absolutely riveted!!! I think it holds even more meaning if you are a female.......I made my mother watch it and we could not believe the similarities altho we are not like the Beale family. (I do get out..I am a flight attendant) But my mother and I are extremely close and the "dance" those two do are strikingly familiar to us....to me what is most apparent at first glance is the despiration Edie feels about leaving, she reminds me of a person that is incarcerated..time stops for them..in their emotional, mental growth. Then it makes me angry that Big Edie could ever be so selfish as to just "take" her daughters life from her..was it out of jealousy?Was it truly out of need? Did she just give up after her husband left her? You almost feel that it was all meant to be tho, especially from the way Big Edie describes her sons, she saw them so differently than she saw Edie. And then,times were so different for women back then.Excellant movie,I am sure the Kennedy and Bouvier Families were mortified!!! But we love them!!! It would be wonderful to see such individuality in everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Documentary Classic, Dec 6 2003
Michael Gordon "Michael Gordon" (Los Angeles, Ca) - See all my reviews
The old woman (Big Edie) and the her elder daughter (Little Edie), both confined to a large, old, decrept home, focused on lost memories and events that never happened.
Little Edie is largely focused on her youth, wishing that she had taken up opportunities in the past that she turned down. Her mother, Big Edie, tells her daughter that her regret over not doing things in the past is meaningless because back then, Little Edie genuinely did not want to do those things. That is perhaps one of the most philosophical moments in the documentary.
This film is very revealing, and it is a truly intimate portrayal of two women. You learn more about then perhaps than you otherwise would in a typical documentary that asks why they are important, what is their significance to their rich and well-known relative, Jackie O, and how did they end up in this situation.
This movie will be implanted in the public persona for many years to come, particularly because of the radical fashion sense of Little Edie, and also because she demonstrates that people do change their behavior, if even slightly, once a camera is nearby.
Michael Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning, Nov. 5 2003
frank vigliotti (Commack, NY United States) - See all my reviews
One of the most brilliant films ever made. you'll want to move in to Grey Gardens.

5.0 out of 5 stars how grey was my garden..., July 23 2003
H. Brand (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grey Gardens (VHS Tape)
Personal tragedy, extreme eccentricity and isolation are the ties that bind an elderly mother and her aging daughter to their decrepit estate in the Hamptons. Edith Bouvier (the daughter) is first cousin to Jackie Bouvier aka Jackie Kennedy but something bad has happened to this side of the pedigree. The money seems to have run out, the house in sympathy with the general state of affairs is in rapid decline and taking the grounds with it. The women, ostracized by the Hampton elite, must feed off each other for companionship telling the same stories, expressing the same pain over and over - until that is the film crew shows up. Edith (a woman in her 60's) begins to blossom, flirt and dance with and for the camera. Having a fresh audience Edith, inbetween costume changes, coyly tells the camera her family secrets. While the mother, also named Edith, lays in bed with her numerous cats and tells a different tale. Rather then take you out of their world the camera crew acts as a liaison between the cloistral world of mother and daughter. Grey Gardens is the reason I love documentary film making - for the pure voyeuristic pleasure of people watching.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Grey Gardens (Criterion Collection)
Grey Gardens (Criterion Collection) by Muffie Meyer (DVD - 2006)
CDN$ 52.99 CDN$ 42.94