5.0 out of 5 stars On an Island - On a Cloud
So much has been said about this album already and that is unavoidable since it comes from the very core of Pink Floyd, one of Rock's most deservedly legendary acts ever. The core being, of course, David Gilmour.

For me, a Floyd fan since 1970, pretty much most of my life, David Gilmour LONG ago proved himself. With the issue of his first solo album in "78,...
Published on Sept. 1 2008 by Richard S. Warner

2.0 out of 5 stars WOWEE - what an incredible letdown.
I'm a huge fan of Gilmour's previous solo offerings. In fact, they're two of my favourite all-time CD's. That said, this CD totally blows. There's no nice way to say it folks. I swear he's not even trying. Boring lyrics and unimaginitive melodies.
Published on March 7 2006 by RushFanForLife

2.0 out of 5 stars WOWEE - what an incredible letdown., March 7 2006
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
You know how some CD's grab you after a few listens ? This is not one of them. Might appeal to some insomniacs out there, but for this kid it's a bitter disappointment.
I wonder what Roger is up to ?

3.0 out of 5 stars Patience is required here!, April 9 2006
Steve Gourdeau (Kingston, New Brunswick Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
This is most certainly a Gilmour album with a definite Floyd influence, not surprisingly of course. Like his previous albums as well as some of Floyd's latest work, one needs to listen a few times before it can be fully appreciated. I have gone over this newest album quite a few times already and it is starting to grow on me. It may even get to be 4 stars by the time I am all done with it. It took several months before I begun to like Floyd's (or should I say Waters') Final Cut. Now it is my favorite P.F. work.
Back to - On An Island. I find the music very relaxing and well put together. I would say that this is most likely a true musical representation of where David Gilmour is with his life, today. That is what I like most about this, meaning that he did not compose something he felt the consumer wanted to hear. He went with his gut and soul. Only one negative comment - The song - Take a Breath - ranks right up there with Floyd's - The dogs of War - which is to say that it's terrible. Other than that, if you liked previous David Gilmour albums, you will enjoy this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars C'est un peu trop planant, April 21 2006
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
C'est quand même bon. Le contraire eut été impossible de la part de David Gilmour et cie. Mais c'est pas mal planant, et j'irais même jusqu'à dire pépère. C'est une suite logique venant de Gilmour, mais je suis déçu. David Gilmour, c'est tout un guitariste. C'est aussi un son vraiment unique, pour moi celui qui me fait le plus vibrer.Comfortably Numb est pour moi le summum des solos de quitare. Avec On an Island, on est loin de The Wall. M. Gilmour approche de sa retraite. Quand je me surprend à écouter du Pink Floyd(comprendre Gilmour) en arrière plan pendant un souper en tête à tête avec mon amour....

1.0 out of 5 stars WORST ALBUM I'VE EVER HEARD, March 23 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
Pink Floyd has always been the greatest band ever, I thought. They always had the best music and best concerts---that ended with The Wall. I'm glad I got a chance to listen to this before buying it. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING!!!!! If you need something to put you to sleep at night, I highly recommend this. That's all it will do. Others say it's very "pink floyd-ish"----NOOOO!!! If I didn't recognized David Gilmour's voice, I wouldn't have a clue who did this. The Pink Floyd era is truly over----long ago!!!!

On An Island
On An Island by David Gilmour (Audio CD - 2006)