5.0 out of 5 stars The Moodies at their most psychadelic
Ok, so I'm not good at writing review titles. Some call this the Moody Blues' only psychadelic album but they've had others in the core 7. Anyway if we just stopped thinking about labels and listening to the music it's more enjoyable. I first got really in the first six songs which I think are the first side for the LP. I still don't like "Voices In the Sky", a...
Published on March 13 2004 by Reviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great stuff, but... Uneven
This is by far the weakest of the Moodies' 1st 7 albums. "Departure," "Ride My See-Saw," "Legend of a Mind," "Voices in the Sky," "The Actor" & "The Word" R all classics -- they've all got that great "moody" atmosphere, & the vocals & keyboards R gorgeous. But the rest is WILDLY uneven,...
Published on Oct. 24 2002 by Tracy Deaton

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Strictly Popular Album Release By The Moodies!, Aug. 19 2000
Barron Laycock "Labradorman" (Temple, New Hampshire United States) - See all my reviews
The opening cut of this first of several concept albums released by the Moody Blues in rapid fire succession tells it all, a provocative, thoughtful, and intellectually fascinating exploration of altered states of consciousness, and a particular focus on the eastern idea of being. This exploration is a quite self-conscious attempt to use the experimental fusion between mainstream rock music and eastern forms started by the Beatles, and no one carried off the exploration with more panache and style than the Moody Blues, who, to their great distress, quickly became a kind of cult force in popular culture, making them pop icons overnight.
This is an intriguing album, and a valuable introduction for the uninitiated to the wild range of talents and interests of the various members of the band, and is a showcase for their musical virtuosity. From the opening mysterious number introducing the concept to the quick transition to "Ride My Seesaw", this is a fast-paced tour of the wide range of the field of psychedelic exploration. ""Legend Of A Mind" is an ironic look at Timothy Leary and his public advocacy of LSD, laughing at the idea while at the same time exploring it in earnest (He'll take you on a trip across the bay.... and bring you back the same day...). "House of Four Doors" is an introduction to "Zen' proper, and to the uniquely eastern ideas of altered states of consciousness and being. "Legend Of A Mind" is a further exposition of Leary and the popular search for consciousness.
The rest of the album focuses increasingly on aspects of the eastern way of perceiving and interpreting reality, and they conduct this exploration within the margins of popular music quite provocatively and very entertainingly. This part of the album is my favorite, especially the evocative "Voices In The Sky", although I also really like "Visions of Paradise", "Om", and "The Word" as well. This is classic Moody Blues material, and they mine this genre in a way uniquely their own. I would start with this album, and work my way deliciously through "On The Threshold Of A Dream", "To Our Childrens' Childrens' Children", and finally to "A Question Of Balance", which comprises the real close of this phase of their concept album series. All of them are thoughtful, artistically well expressed, and a timeless celebration of what it means to be human. I highly recommend all their albums. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't sound dated to me., June 27 1999
By A Customer
This is the one album that critics say has dated, I suppose because of the use of sitar and references to Timothy Leary, etc. I find that vision short sighted. This is where the Moodies really experimented with instrumentation, sitars, flutes, unusual combinations of music and lyrics. And there are some superbly beautiful moments-such as "Voices In The Sky," which in my view captures a lot of the best of Justin's lyrical and melodic gifts. "Om" is said to be dated, but I find the sitar, flute, mellotron combination mesmerizing, and the final vocal chorus takes me to another planet. "House of Four Doors" is a rather sophisticated song in terms of lyrics and presentation with the "door sound" and the classically inspired instrumentation. Need I go on? The Eastern Philosophy stuff is there to be sure, but the music holds its own so well, and who is to say that Eastern philosophy is "dated?" My personal favorite of all the Moodies core seven albums is "To Our Children's Children's Children," but I think one could certainly make the argument that this is their best.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Way To Travel, June 27 2002
Katie (Seattle, Wa) - See all my reviews
This album is so undescribable. See, it came right after Days of Future Passed (which was also excellent), and I believe the band may have been a bit more comfortable because now they had a record deal and everything. Justin's voice seems to have matured in some way- yet he sounds the same. I say this because if there was a song that ever made me cry it would be The Actor. By far the greatest song on the album (but the whole thing is fantastic). The sound of Justin's voice is so mysterious. He sounds so sad, and then the words are so emotional. I die when Justin sings- The sound I've heard in you hello-oh darling, you're almost part of me, oh darling, you're all I'll ever see.
Yeah! So buy the CD, you'll have no regrets. Moodies albums are the only ones I can listen to from beginning to end, usually I find myself skipping around on the CD's of other artist's- not so here. Enjoy. Oh and I would have given it all of the stars in the universe, but that's just not physically possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeding Frenzy for your third eye., June 25 2000
Ernesto Varela "disappointed" (Carrizo Springs, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
I don't know how many hours I have spent immersed in this CD. It grabs me and takes me on a journey of Imagination (that's right, with a capital I), and no matter how many times I listen to it, I keep finding new shores to visit. The songs are simple and complex at the same time, and I must admit even simplistic at some level, BUT THEY WORK! Nobody will ever claim that Justin Hayward has a great singing voice or that he is a great poet, in fact, when you look at the lyrics by themselves they are really insipid. What happens when they are put into the context of the music is awesome, though. Those lyrics are transformed into yearnings that can only be answered by letting your soul make a journey into the unknown. The music is filled with layers of shadow, and open spaces where every note promises new horizons, and delivers, often vistas you didn't expect. In case you hadn't figured it out, I like this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars LEGEND OF A BAND IS BORN, March 7 2002
IN 1977, THIS WAS THE VERY FIRST ALBUM (LONG PLAY RECORD) I HEARD OF THE MOODY BLUES. I RECOGNISED THE SOUND OF 'NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN', BUT DID NOT HAD AN IDEA WHO IT WAS. THE MOODY BLUES RELEASED THIS ALBUM IN 1967 TO PROVE THAT THEY ACTUALLY COULD PLAY MUSIC. AT THEIR FIRST ALBUM (DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED) A COMPLETE ORCHESTRA PLAYED WITH THE BAND. AT 'IN SEARCH...' THE BAND SHOWED THAT THEY WHERE A SYMPHONIC ORCHESTRA THEMSELVES. THE RESULT WAS AN ALBUM WITH UNFORGETTABLE SOUND. THEY PLAYED WITH THE VERY FIRST ANALOG SYNTHESIZER: THE MELLOTRON, BASED ON RECORDED TAPES.
THE MOODY BLUUES PROVED TO BE AN EXAMPLE FOR MANY OTHERS TO COME. NOWADAYS, IN 2002 THE BAND STARTS A NEW WORLDTOUR (USA, CANADA, EUROPE) ON EACH SHOW WILL BE PLAYED "LEGEND OF A MIND" and 'RIDE MY SEE SAW'.
I AM LOOKING FOR THE NEW STUDIO ALBUM TO BE RELEASED THIS AUTUMN. HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE AGAIN!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mystical Journey, Feb. 9 2003
"terry808" (Thomaston, GA 30286) - See all my reviews
This album could be the most exquisite and fantastical album ever written by this band. The entire album flows together as one, making it a journey through exotic soundscapes. From cascading harps, to journeys through the jungle, through mysterious territory, to paradise and on to the meaning within ourselves. A creative earthy experience is in store throuout the album as it flows gently through mystical truth and excursions. Wonderful melodys with acoustic guitars, electric guitars, and eastern insturments (tabla and Sitar), enhance the beauty and create an album completely different than any other they have accomplished. To me this is the best album and always provides a fantastic listening experience.
Ben.
the 15 year old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take A Journey Into the World of Relaxation, April 29 1999
By A Customer
If your looking for an album to take you away from the hustle and bustle of the busy world, than this is the one. This album definitly ranks among one of the best produced by the Moody Blues. This was thier second album but the tightness and confidence of thier sound makes it sound like there 10th! With spoken passeges that really make you wonder about the world of the unknown and relaxing songs about love, paradise and the world around us, you'll forget about all your worries. It opens with thier classic oncore hit "Ride My See-Saw" and ends with "OM" a song with a great sitar jam. Highly recommended among most Moody Blues fans and a great starting album for those who are just discovering thier music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The music that I've used to un-wind and meditate., July 9 1998
By A Customer
I'm not a musician and I really don't count as any sort of expert. And, truthfully, for many years during the '70's (my college years), I found the Moody Blues kind of--well, depressing. This was the first Moody Blues album that I ever bought, and it is still the one that I enjoy the most. The original version of Legend of A Mind is more melodic than the later version in the box-set (which I also heard during a concert in New Haven, Ct. a few years ago), and Legend of a Mind and OM have always helped me to climb-down from the workday and become human again. And, I like the continuity of the album; it has never been just a set of disjointed songs to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Cool!!!, Sept. 25 1999
By A Customer
I'm nine years old and I wanted to find out what this sounded like. My dad chose to listen to it while we were going to the beach. I thought it was pretty cool and I decided to listen to it while going to sleep at night, because it's nice and calm. It's calm but it has a little enthusiasm to it. I like the man in the beginning with the deep voice and it gets higher and higher and then it goes into the music. I also like Dr. Livingstone and Thinking is the Best way to Travel. The Beatles are really really good but the Moody Blues are okay. Most of the time, I fall asleep before Timothy Leary comes on, so I don't know who he is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it before it's gone, Feb. 9 2014
Hellenback (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Search Of The Lost Chord (Audio CD)
With all the divergent reviews of the 2006-7 Moodies SACDs I have to wonder what the nay-sayers are listening to. Although this is not in surround it is still a(n) SACD and sounds wonderful compared to any edition including the MFSL version.
MFSL has DR of 11, while the red-book only layer of SACD is 10. MFSL loses out in detail retrieval when compared to the SACD layer of this set.
The bonus material disc, while not in SACD format is a nice listen once in awhile.

In Search Of The Lost Chord
In Search Of The Lost Chord by Moody Blues (Audio CD - 2008)