‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth The Wait, Feb. 28 2006
By A Customer
The two-disc set features featurettes that show true love to Johnny and June. The Making Of featurette was a TV special that was broadcast, but had never seen it until now. Hosted by Kristofferson, they go to the beginning: whay it was made, the hassles they had making it and their opinions of the final result. Interviews with Kris, Willie Nelson, Don & Harold Reid of the Statler Brothers, Jack Clement, Marshall Grant and more share a glimpse into John and June's lives and love for one another and their fans. The three musical sequences are Jackson, Rock and Roll Ruby and Cocaine Blues. Anyone who bought the WTL soundtrack would rcognize the first two, but the extended sequence of Cocaine Blues was well worth watching. The movie itself is magic on screen. Some of the deleted scenes should have been left in the movie, as it would make some of the movie's timing more sensible. Overall, great cast, great collection, and one I will watch ver and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars a stunning biography of Johnny Cash, Nov. 22 2007
falcon "disdressed12" (canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
wow!!!i'd heard this was a great film,so i finally decided to watch
it.i have to say,it exceeded my expectations.the acting was amazing in
this movie,as was the direction.i really liked the fact that it showed
Johnny Cash at his worst,as well as his best.there was a great
back-story to Walk the Line,beginning with Cash as a child and
detailing his growth into adulthood and fame. the supporting
performances were also very good.but it was Joaquin Phoenix(as a grown
themselves,making their performances even more amazing. 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars "Y'all can't walk no line.", June 15 2006
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon give impressive performances in this story of Johnny Cash and his long-time love, June Carter. Johnny grew up poor on a cotton farm, listening to June Carter and her family sing on the radio. He became a singer, met June, and was smitten, but they were both married; they continued to tour together for years, through June's second marriage and Johnny's terrible drug abuse.

I really enjoyed the songs in the movie a lot; I was especially impressed that Phoenix and Witherspoon did their own singing and playing and made it look so easy. Phoenix's Johnny is a tortured and self-destructive soul, and Witherspoon's June is spunky, kind, and mature. This is surely the best movie for both of them to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie!, March 2 2006
Lizzie (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
Honestly, this movie is absolutely amazing. Pheonix and Witherspoon give great performances as Johnny and June. I would like to see a movie made about the rest of their lives together, it would be great to see as well!
If you're debating getting this movie, there is no question that young and old will agree, this is a brilliant telling of Johnny Cash's amazing life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome movie!, March 31 2006
This is the best movie based on a singer to date! Thoroughly enjoyed it! I thought it was going to be boring because I never was a big fan of Johnny Cash but now I am! Loved all the songs and can't believe Mr. Phoenix can sing! He's very very good. I definately recommend this movie. I am going to buy it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A film capable of impressing fans and non-fans alike, Sept. 4 2006
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I'm always a little hesitant to watch biographical films such as Walk the Line, especially when they are based on someone I consider a personal favorite. Johnny Cash was the man - then, now, and forever. Heck, the one and only album my parents and I both own is Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison. I didn't really want to learn anything that might damage my opinion of the man. Complicating matters, you always have to wonder how much of what you are seeing is accurate and how much is the product of embellishment added to make the story more compelling. Obviously, I already knew Johnny Cash was no angel in his younger days, but I think Walk the Line does succeed in presenting some of his mistakes and problems in a respectful, realistic way.

As good as the movie is, it does have some weaknesses. Naturally, it can't cover Johnny's whole life in detail (nor does it try to), but some aspects of the story could have used more depth and character exploration. I remember hearing that some relatives of Johnny's first wife weren't all that thrilled with her characterization in the film. Frankly, I found it hard to judge her at all because we never really learn much about her. One minute, we see Johnny calling her from overseas, then the next they're married, and then Johnny finally hits it big and goes out on the road. His wife comes across as a rather shrewish sort, and that's unfortunate because she should be a more sympathetic character in this context. As far as Johnny and June Carter go, I would like to have seen their relationship ironed out a little bit more, as well. From the things we see Johnny do in this film, it's difficult for me to understand why June kept coming back to him - as a singer or as a friend. Even as their relationship grew into love, I never really saw any kind of special spark in their eyes for one another.

Joaquin Phoenix does a fairly good job in the title role, but I was never able to look at him and see Johnny Cash the way I could look at Jamie Foxx in Ray and see Ray Charles. The man in black was one-of-a-kind, especially in terms of his voice, and I think Phoenix just tried too hard at times to become the man behind the music. He especially over-emphasizes Cash's mannerisms onstage, and that just kept disconnecting me from the film. Casting Reese Witherspoon as June Carter ended up being the Hollywood coup of the year, as she does turn in a wonderful performance, but somebody was asleep at the wheel when some of the other cast members were selected. Personally, I think terrible mistakes were made in the casting of actors to play Elvis, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, and some other well-known musicians. Orbison ended up looking like some chess club geek, while Jerry Lee Lewis looked like he should have been hanging wallpaper somewhere, far away from any stage. It's like they cast some of these parts by pulling random names out of a hat or something.

Despite the questionable casting decisions and some obvious gaps in the chronology of the film, Walk the Line does tell a compelling story about a true icon of the twentieth century. One of the qualities that made Johnny Cash unique was his humanity. No matter how big he got, he always seemed to be one of us, a regular guy who made mistakes just like we all do. That's why the Folsom Prison album seems to stand at the very nexus of Cash's career - even hardened criminals felt like Johnny was one of them. If he could turn his life around after hitting rock bottom, so could any of them - or us. I think this inspirational message could have been communicated a little more effectively in the movie, but it certainly makes the story worth telling. Johnny Cash fan or not, Walk the Line is a movie worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Walk the Line, April 16 2007
Michelle (Ottawa, Ontario) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this film and recommend it to anyone that likes a good love story. You don't need to be a Johnny Cash fan to enjoy this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars a stunning biography of Johnny Cash, Nov. 22 2007
falcon "disdressed12" (canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
wow!!!i'd heard this was a great film,so i finally decided to watch
it.i have to say,it exceeded my expectations.the acting was amazing in
this movie,as was the direction.i really liked the fact that it showed
Johnny Cash at his worst,as well as his best.there was a great
back-story to Walk the Line,beginning with cash as a twelve year old
child,and how he had a less than perfect childhood.his father was a
jerk,to put it mildly while his mother just stood on the
sidelines,allowing young John to be treated poorly.the supporting
performances were also very good.but it was Joaquin Phoenix(as a grown
movie all around.wow!!!i highly recommend it.even if you are not a
Johnny Cash fan(which i wasn't),you will be entertained.as an
aside,apparently both Phoenix and Witherspoon did all the singing
themselves,making their performances even more amazing. 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent and dazzling portrait of the Man in Black., July 12 2007
I saw this outstanding and honest film about Johnny Cash's life at the cinema with my parents. When we left we realised that we saw something amazing. A film that had the viewer transfixed to the screen by its raw power and energy. This was a very special film indeed.

The film is topped and tailed by Johnny Cash's performance at the Folsom Prison in the early part of the 60's. In between these two scenes, we are shown the main story of Cash's childhood upbringing, his reaction when his brother dies in a freak accident, his leaving home to start on a singing career, get in trouble with women relationships and drugs, up to the moment when he meets and falls in love with June Carter who does her painstaking best to get him off the drugs and to clean his act up.

There are some stunning and memorable scenes in this amazingly realised film and there are some powerful scenes too like the one where we see Cash collapse on stage from a drug overdose. I thought this scene was handled brilliantly.

The performances from the two lead actors Joaquin Phoenix and Reece Witherspoon are two of the best performances that I've seen. Joaquin Phoenix gives Johnny Cash a ruggish charm and makes him someone to relate to and to gain some kind of inspiration from. I felt he should have won the Oscar for his magnificent portrayal. Whereas Reece Witherspoon did win the Oscar for her tremendous and scintillating performance as June Carter. She is utterly believable in the part. Her part had Oscar written all over it.

All the singing throughout the film were by Joaquin Phoenix and Reece Witherspoon. They spent six months rehearsing and getting their voices right and to be honest I thought they sounded damn good! In my view, this film is possibly one of the best biopics of the modern age. A definite must see.

5.0 out of 5 stars The love story of Johnny Cash and June Carter, Jan. 16 2006
Amazon Customer (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
"Hey my darlin' hey my sweet

I've waited on the day that I knew we would meet.

Hey my sun, hey my moon

Today's the day that

Johnny met June."

I know that Shelby Lynne wrote "Johnny met June" after the death of Johnny Cash, four months after the passing of June Carter Cash, but it was impossible for me not to think of that song while watching "I Walk the Line," even before I realized that Lynne was playing Cash's mother Carrie. That is because it is clear from the start of this 2005 bio-pic that this is the love story of Johnny (Joaquin Phoenix) and June (Reese Witherspoon). In the last act of the film my wife expressed surprise that the couple were not married yet and I told her that this film was going to be over as soon as she finally said "yes." I was close on that score, because the film includes an important grace note and fade out that says it all. But even if you knew nothing about their legendary love it would be clear from the opening scenes of this movie when a young J.R. Cash and his brother Jack are listening to young June Carter singing on the radio.

What I liked about "Walk the Line" was that even knowing the key threads of the story, all of which are cinematic commonplaces, the screenplay by writer Gill Dennis and director James Mangold delivers memorable scenes. One thread is how Cash became the Man in Black, and when he blows his audition in front of Sam Phillips (Dallas Roberts), the legendary head of Sun Records in Memphis gives him a slim second chance with a dead on speech as to how Cash needs to be singing songs. Cash happens to have been inspired by a film about a prison in California to write a song, and he starts to sing it and changes before our eyes and ears. Cash and his father, Ray (Robert Patrick), have been at odds since a childhood tragedy and we wait for the moment when the son will finally tell the father off. But when it comes Cash is still living in a glass house and the tables do not get turned.

"Walk the Line" saves the best for last. The famous concert at Folsom Prison is the first of two significant payoffs, as it represents Cash finally embodying his songs and not simply singing them. The connection between Cash and his audience changed then and he finally became a man. But that was not enough for June who has been refusing all of his proposals. When his family could do nothing to save Cash from his drug addiction, it is June and her family who step in, however she makes it clear that she will sing with him but she will not marry him. Now, most of us remember the lady as June Carter Cash, so we know that she is going to say yes. What is important is that it clearly will take something special for her to consent, and this film comes up with a moment worthy of their relationship and out anticipation.

Phoenix and Witherspoon do their own singing and what is key is not that they imitate Johnny and June but that they capture their hearts, which is a good thing in a romance, even when it also happens to be a bio-pic. During the final credits we finally hear the real Johnny and June singing as they take their curtain call. But when their voices fade away and we return to the plaintive guitar pickin' of T-Bone Burnett our thoughts return to Lynne's lovely elegy:

"Now were starting over it's the place that we are

You look more than pretty underneath all the stars

Love, love is a burning thing

Oh how I still love to hear you sing

And everything we ever heard about heaven is true

Today's the day that Johnny met June

Today's the day that Johnny met June."

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›