5.0 out of 5 stars Best coffee ever
This machine makes the best drip coffee I have ever had. It replaced a Cuisinart, which made perfectly good coffee, but this one is simply amazing. Not only is the coffee great, but I'm able to use 20% less coffee and still get a very strong brew.

Published on Dec 19 2010 by johnz

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed
Published 19 months ago by Pat

5.0 out of 5 stars Best coffee ever, Dec 19 2010
This review is from: Zojirushi Zutto EC-DAC50 Coffee Maker (Kitchen)

There are no fancy electronic features on this coffee maker - no clock, timer, auto-shutoff, nothing like that. Personally, I can live without this stuff since it brews a pot in only about 5 minutes anyway. It does have a removable water tank, which I find is very convenient - and neat. The neatness of the design is actually its best feature; since the coffee basket is in the pot rather than the machine everything stays clean. You DO need to keep your thumb on the lid when you pour that last cup or the basket will fall out, but you only make this mistake once :)

The coffee is very hot - hotter than the initial brew temperature even after sitting on the warming plate for an hour, so I suspect that Zojiurshi has upped the temperature based on feedback from customers. Also, as reported by other reviewers, the handle of the pot is held on by just one metal band rather than the usual two. So far (6 weeks) it's fine, and it looks great, but I suspect that may be the next improvement. The only other thing I can think of to say would be that the parts aren't dishwasher safe; this may be common across other brands, I don't know.

All in all, I think this is the best small coffee maker on the market.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, May 11 2013
This review is from: Zojirushi Zutto EC-DAC50 Coffee Maker (Kitchen)
After a couple cheap Walmart coffee makers broke on me in the past 6 months, I decided that it was worth paying a bit more for a coffee maker that would last and make a decent cup of joe. I spent days looking over the reviews of just about every coffee maker on the market, and finally decided on the Zutto. I figured the hundreds of positive reviews outweighed the couple of negatives; and I really wanted to believe that this inexpensive wonder could perform with the pros.

I'll give a better breakdown further on, however, my biggest problem was that this coffee maker produced a plastic smell and taste that is beyond words. Initially, I ran two cycles of water, then a cycle of vinegar and water, then two more cycles of water to thoroughly clean it. During these runs, the plastic smell overwhelmed my kitchen, then when I finally got around to my first pot of coffee the smell and taste were so bad that the coffee was nearly unbearable. I made the mistake of finishing that pot of coffee and the plastic taste stayed in my mouth for the rest of the day. Boiling the filter basket and lid in a pot of water did nothing to resolve this issue, and that is ultimately why I returned it.

Some good points:
- Very good looking
- Small foot print
- Easily kept clean with the filter basket in the pot
- Fast shipping and well packed

And for the bad:
- Not very hot. I was disappointed after reading all the reviews saying it was too hot
- The lid does tend to come off if not held on with your thumb
- The steel band holding the handle seems sketchy, though it seems to do the trick
- The mouth of the pot is a touch too small to fit your hand in comfortably to clean it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee Maker, Oct. 17 2011
This review is from: Zojirushi Zutto EC-DAC50 Coffee Maker (Kitchen)
If you are looking for the best small coffee maker search no further. This machine has it all: simple ingenious design, very easy to use, and most importantly makes great tasting hot coffee at an affordable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven, Dec 21 2012
This review is from: Zojirushi Zutto EC-DAC50 Coffee Maker (Kitchen)
So this is what heaven is like, wow. As a power coffee drinker, I like to try many types of variety coffees. None have ever tasted as good as they do, coming from this little workhorse. And it's sexy looking too..:) It's early and I think I just misplaced my commas, good time for a good cup of coffee I guess..:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Zojirushi, Jan. 18 2013
D. Thomson "Deb T" (Toronto Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zojirushi Zutto EC-DAC50 Coffee Maker (Kitchen)
I have had many coffee makers over the years and drink a lot of coffee each day. This is a great machine. The filter is in the glass container and when you pour all you have to do is put your fingers on the lid to ensure nothing spills out- easy -great tasting coffee all the time. I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Superb Tasting Coffee, Easy Clean up, Jan. 15 2014
This review is from: Zojirushi Zutto EC-DAC50 Coffee Maker (Kitchen)
This is the best small coffee brewer I've had to date. I've tried a few other 4 - 5 cup brewers and they all used the cicular flat filters and Much of the coffee grounds wouldn't get soaked or the drip of the water would push the grounds to the side and the water would effectively bypass the grounds, leading to watery coffee. The cone filter type with this brewer forces the water through all of the grounds which make better coffee.

The Carafe design is great as well. I haven't had any issues with the way that the handle mounts to the glass. I typically don't brew full pots though.

The only con is that there is no timer on this unit. I bought a outlet timer and when I set up my brewer at night, I leave the switch set to ON. In the morning the outlet timer turns on the outlet and the coffee starts brewing. After 30 minutes the outlet turns off. It is not ideal but it's working for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Economical alternative to the pod or capsule system, Jan. 1 2013
This review is from: Zojirushi Zutto EC-DAC50 Coffee Maker (Kitchen)
This product makes 5 small cups of coffee or two large cups, so it is not really suitable for making coffee for company.
It works well for one or two persons, and makes a very good cup of coffee(depending upon the quality of the coffee used) . It uses Melitta style #2 filters, and is an excellent alternative to the one cup makers that use expensive mini containers of coffee(I am trying to say this without using any brand names).
The filter assembly is inside the pot, so it is best removed as soon as the coffee is ready. Also, you have to keep your finger on the lid when pouring, otherwise it comes off. These are minor issues when the result is a satisfying cup of coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brews great coffee!, Dec 20 2010
This review is from: Zojirushi Zutto EC-DAC50 Coffee Maker (Kitchen)
I bought this coffee maker based on the reputation of Zojirushi and the reviews on Amazon.com. Although not made in Japan, the unit is still nicely made. The only issue is the metal band around the glass pot. It seems weak and flimsy and most likely to crack the pot over time. The best price I could find on this coffee maker was here on Amazon.ca. All the chinese supermarket stores and pacific mall in Markham, Ontario were selling it for [...] + tax.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, elegant and nice coffee, June 2 2013
Luciana (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zojirushi Zutto EC-DAC50 Coffee Maker (Kitchen)
I did not give 5 starts because this coffee maker does not have a auto-shut button, but other than that, it makes a very good coffee, very hot, love that you can take the water tank and wash it! Also, very good size for 2 adults coffee drinkers, so it's a small one, it does not take much room in your counter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, April 3 2013
This review is from: Zojirushi Zutto EC-DAC50 Coffee Maker (Kitchen)
I use it many days per week since 2 years.

I like it very much!!
So simple to use... So simple to wash. Nice design and fits well in the kitchen or in the office.

I would like to say this:
1) It does 4 small cups or 2 large cups.
The glass says 5, but it's really 2 large cups, not even 4 regular cups. So i don't know what 5 this is... :)
You will need something else if you want to serve coffee to the whole family during christmas :)

2) The heater will burn the coffee or will heat it so much it's too hot to drink...

3) Do the best drip coffee i ever drink!

Zojirushi Zutto EC-DAC50 Coffee Maker