4.0 out of 5 stars Great Memory Lane Movie
Published 3 months ago by D. Swan

3.0 out of 5 stars It was an Anniversary Re-release!
I thought it was different from what I remembered - then again it had been ages since I saw it. However, for the time when it came out, it's transfer to DVD was very good quality. I only wish they would do this with all of the older movies.
Published 11 months ago by whalefan444

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Memory Lane Movie, Jan. 1 2014
D. Swan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Earthquake (DVD)
I remember seeing this back in '74 and getting sick at the theater because of the flu and having to leave shortly after the quake scene. I've seen it numerous times since then and even though the acting may not be top notch, it was still cool appreciating the efforts of the special effects technicians of the day to conjure up the destruction of the third largest metropolitian area of the US and doing a great job considering what they had to work with. Even back in the day I had questioned the logic of making Ava Gardner the daughter of Lorne Greene who was only a few years older than she was and for that fact not much older than Charlton Heston as well. Take the movie for what it was, an escape for 2 plus hours and watch Chuck and George Kennedy save the day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray Transfer - poor sound and picture, June 1 2013
Very Very disappointed in Blu-ray release. Picture is extremely grainy and sound is very poor. In many parts the dialogue fades out. This Blu-ray should be recalled.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was an Anniversary Re-release!, May 21 2013
This review is from: Earthquake (DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sensurround, May 3 2013
D. Beelik (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Sensurround simply cannot be properly recreated in the home. Back when Sensurround films played there were a couple of versions of Sensurround used for Earthquake then upgraded for Midway/Rollercoaster & Battlestar Gallactica (Sensurround I & later, Sensurround II) but basically it was a noise generator with a tone on the soundtrack that triggered Sensurround to turn on & off when that bass was programmed. It send deep, insane sound waves that delivered astonishing rumbling sounds into large specially designed speaker cabinets (front of auditorium) and smaller speaker cabinets (rear of auditorium) to make your liver quiver. A .1 channel could come somewhat close to replicating the effect if you have really good subwoofers and plenty of power but still nowhere near the way it sounded (and felt) in the cinemas back in the day. Sensurround did damage to some cinema structures, including foundations - that's how crazy powerful it was.
Regardless, I'm excited that Earthquake and Midway are coming to blu ray for the memories from when I was a kid, I saw them both in Sensurround many times. Earthquake played in 70MM in Europe (not in USA or Canada) so hopefully they have located the stereo audio stems for a good sound mix, Unfortunately Midway was only ever in mono (plus the Sensurround track of course) but maybe they have the music tracks and the audio wizardry to come up with a decent stereo mix on that one too.

5.0 out of 5 stars It rumbles!, May 10 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Earthquake [Import] (DVD)
The old vhs video did not rumble. This DVD RUMBLES! It shook the house. Thanks for restoring the "sensurround"

4.0 out of 5 stars The only decent dvd made by Goodtimes Video, Nov. 5 2003
CALLAHAN "HARRY" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Earthquake [Import] (DVD)
This classic movie was somehow given to the "Goodtimes Video Company" that is know for releasing horrible picture quality on their dvds. "Earthquake" however is decent. The picture quality is as good as the vhs video release and the only bonus to this dvd is the fact is is in widescreen format. Goodtimes Video Company is the worst company to buy from in my opinion. I avoid buying from Goodtimes like the plague. I would say this dvd is excellent quality comparred to anything else I've seen from Goodtimes besides "Airport 75". The quality of picture is just like the video. No new enhancments or re digitalized or anything. The picture is as good (if not a touch better) than what you'd see on vhs or television, so it is worht buying for a low cost.The sound quality SHOULD'VE been redone in DTS or Dolby Digital just because of the old Senssurround that went with this movie. However the sound quality on this dvd is in mono, the quality is not that bad for what you've heard before on vhs or television. I would say, if this is the only release on DVD available, it is worth buying if you loved this movie.The ONLY other dvd release by Goodtimes Video that was done ok was "Airport 75". ALL other dvds released by this company have been horrible and not worth a nickle. "Airport 77" was absolutly horrendous to watch on their dvd. Bad picture (dark) and had a soundtrack suppossedly called Dolby Digital that in my opinion was a lie because all I heard was mono.Anyways, "Earthquake" was an ok buy at a low enough cost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrills, Chills, and Fun!, June 16 2003
sweetmolly (RICHMOND, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Earthquake [Import] (DVD)
"Earthquake" was a late entry into the early '70s Disaster film mania, and the audiences had become a little jaded after whetting their appetites on "Towering Inferno" and "The Poseidon Adventure." But hey! "Earthquake" has its own charms and some surprisingly good special effects.
Charlton Heston is in his stone-faced glory playing a heroic engineer who is trying to save Los Angeles from a devastating 7.2 earthquake. Dams break, buildings tumble, glass flies, panic and hysteria reign. Beautiful Ava Gardner (who looked as if she was seriously wondering what in the [heck] she was doing in this movie) plays Heston's spoiled, expensive wife. To give Heston the proper angst, he has reluctantly fallen in love with the nubile Genevieve Bujold who fetchingly needs rescuing quite often. The ending surprised me; I wonder if Charlton insisted upon it.
"Earthquake" delivers. If your expectations are for deep characterizations and startling ambiguities; you will be disappointed. If you want a couple hours of thrills and mindless fun, "Earthquake" will satisfy. My only complaints are the overly long set-up before the earthquake begins and a vague sadness that I haven't the facilities for "Sensurround."
-sweetmolly-Amazon.com Reviewer

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrills, Chills, and Fun!, June 16 2003
sweetmolly (RICHMOND, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Earthquake [Import] (DVD)
Charlton Heston is in his stone-faced glory playing a heroic engineer who is trying to save Los Angeles from a devastating 7.2 earthquake. Dams break, buildings tumble, glass flies, panic and hysteria reign. Beautiful Ava Gardner ... plays Heston's spoiled, expensive wife. To give Heston the proper angst, he has reluctantly fallen in love with the nubile Genevieve Bujold who fetchingly needs rescuing quite often. The ending surprised me; I wonder if Charlton insisted upon it.
-sweetmolly-Amazon Reviewer

5.0 out of 5 stars According to Leonard Maltin, this film is a BOMB, May 3 2003
Chris K. Wilson "Chris Kent" (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Earthquake [Import] (DVD)
I am writing this review to one of my favorite childhood films as an act of furious rebellion against Leonard Maltin's unjust "BOMB" rating in his Movie/Video Guide. Is the 1974 disaster classic "Earthquake" a BOMB? (Shaking head "No" in best Maltin fashion) Certainly not! Is "Earthquake" a five star film? (Shaking head "Yes") Of course it is!
"Earthquake" lovers across the globe must unite. We cannot allow Maltin's terrible injustice to continue a day longer! I say lobby for two stars today. Tomorrow? Perhaps four. But the "Earthquake" rebellion is still in its infancy, and we must take whatever star we can get.
Granted, we cannot watch this film in Sensurround (as I did as a child), but we can turn the volume up to maximum power during the main earthquake sequence. For those unaware, "Earthquake" won two Academy Awards for special effects. And the special effects, even by today's computer generated standards, are extraordinary. From dams bursting, to building's collapsing, to Walter Matthau trying to sip his giggling shot of whiskey, the action sequences in this film are unforgettable.
Let's not forget Charlton Heston's modified Blazer (complete with telephone!), which has to be one of the coolest movie autos since Steve McQueen's "Bullitt" Mustang. Of course, I have always tried to figure out how Lorne Greene could have fathered Ava Gardner at the tender age of seven. But hey! Weirder things in cinema history have happened (Kevin Costner following "Waterworld" with "The Postman" comes to mind).
But I digress. What I love about "Earthquake" is the beautiful Genevieve Bujold ("You made love to me with such anger.") as Chuck's mistress. She's a great cinema beauty. I love the salty George Kennedy as the tough cop we would all like to have on our block ("Earthquakes bring out the worst in people."). I love the seedy bar he goes to after a bad day on the job, complete with bald pool sharks, beads hanging in the doorway and the already-mentioned Mr. Matthau ("Bobby Riggs!") adorned in plaid bell bottoms and maroon pimp hat. Let's not forget Richard Roundtree as motorcycle daredevil Miles Quade ("Baby I'm tuned to just the right pitch!"), preparing for his loop-de-loop stunt just as the earthquake hits.
And finally, the moral choice Charlton Heston is forced to make by the film's conclusion. His wife (Ava Gardner) is being swept away in a flood, a few dyed hairs out of place, her white pants suit literally getting soaked! Chuck looks up through the manhole opening, where he can see the lovely Ms. Bujold staring back with concern. Paradise. Passion. A new start with the woman of his middle age dreams. What's he gonna do!?
By the film's final scene, the distinguished Lloyd Nolan stares at the crumbled buildings amidst the smoke and fire, dirt and sweat covering his tired face. He says to no one in particular, "This used to be a hell of a town." George Kennedy, tears in his eyes, shakes his head in agreement as John Williams' terrific musical score closes the show.
To call "Earthquake" a BOMB is entirely missing the point of why we watch and love films. "Caligula" is a BOMB. "Earthquake" is an immensely watchable, loveable pet. A testament of an era, line after quotable line, glorious like a funhouse at the local carnival. A few mirrors may be cracked and the hinges may squeak, but Mr. Maltin, this funhouse makes me smile. If "Earthquake" is a BOMB, then I wish Hollywood would make more of them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Special Effects!, March 25 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Earthquake [Import] (DVD)
Yeah this movie is probably kind of dated but I still have good memories of watching Earthquake on TV with my family when I was a little kid and wouldn't mind watching it again and maybe even having it in my DVD collection, I remember that there were a lot of characters and some of the dialogue and plot was kind of cheesy but the special effects were impressive and Charleton Heston is one of the best actors!

ARRAY(0xabc6fba4)

Earthquake
Earthquake by Mark Robson (DVD - 2006)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 14.80