5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but...
Published on July 4 2006 by Randall Barnhart

3.0 out of 5 stars Neil Young fan
This was a great DVD for Neil Young fans. Would suggest it to anyone.
This DVD did not dissapoint so that was a plus
Published 21 months ago by Janet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but..., July 4 2006
Randall Barnhart (Earth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neil Young: Heart of Gold (DVD)
I've always loved Neil Young, from back in the day with Buffalo Springfield and Crazy Horse, through CSNY to "Living with War." Don't get me wrong:this is an excellent film and certainly something any real fan of Neil Young's work will want. HOWEVER: please remember that it was filmed just prior to Young's operation for an aneurysm (it is alluded to in the film) and just after the death of his dad, Scott Young,from senile dementia. It is quite clear issues of mortality are much on Young's mind during the concert, and one friend of mine even suggested this film might have served as a goodbye if the aneurysm operation didn't come off as it should have. Happily, it did, and long may Neil Young wave. Just be careful, though, cuz there are long tracts of this film I cried through.

5.0 out of 5 stars SIX stars for Heart of Gold, Oct. 24 2006
Scott Greer (Bonshaw, PEI Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neil Young: Heart of Gold (DVD)
Rarely have I seen a film, much less a concert, as powerful, moving, personally revealing, and emotionally honest as Heart of Gold. I have admired Neil Young for a long time--since After the Gold Rush I guess--and I always knew he had the soul of a poet, and (let's be truthful) the voice of ...well, someone who reads poetry well. He has always written and sung about his life and experience; but this is definitely different. His aneurism and loss of his father have caused him to stop, turn, and appreciate what his life has brought him. You never get the sense that he feels sorry for himself, or wants others to feel sympathy for him. Live or die, life had brought him many great times and hard times, and, at this turning point in his life, he wanted to convey (what I sensed was) a profound gratitude for his family and friends. Having them close to him on stage gave him a connection and perhaps continuity to his life that, in light of recent events, had become meaningful in a very existential way.
Neil's a bit of a laconic fellow, and it's that bit of emotional restraint that makes this DVD (and the CD) so incredibly moving. He sings, really, to his friends and loved ones, and we get to listen in. It's a kind of personal embrace, and a message of love and appreciation that perhaps you can only conjure up when you are truly faced with your mortality. Of all the wonderful songs, "It's a Dream" is absolutely the heart of this concert. This is one of his best songs (all time), and one of the most moving and beautifully conceived songs in recent memory. His dad, daughter, even his dog, are all recognized in some of the most genuine, heartfelt lyrics you've heard for a long time.

Even if you're not a Neil Young fan, get this DVD, and let Neil 'embrace' you. This is a message about life and love, about connection to people, and taking nothing for granted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense Performance, Aug. 27 2006
This review is from: Neil Young: Heart of Gold (DVD)
This is basically Neil Young unplugged. No heavy electric guitar or hard drums here. You hear Neil's voice and the outstanding playing of his band. In between song's Neil tells anecdotes about his life growing up. It's a really intimate film and every song is damn perfect. Buy this dvd and watch it. You'll be on the edge of your seat. It's intense.

P.S. Fans new to Neil Young should not buy "Decade". They should buy "After The Gold Rush". It's a masterwork.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart of Gold, Aug. 2 2006
Marcia (Vancouver) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Neil Young: Heart of Gold (DVD)
I was a hippie at the same time as Neil Young and I've been listening to his music forty years. After he left Crosby, Stills and Nash and went on his own he returned to his country roots (he was born in Manitoba, Canada, then bought a ranch outside of Nashville). Most old hippies haven't weathered well, but I am happy to report Neil Young has as this DVD shows. It's a concert DVD of his new alburm Prairie Winds. He sings three of the songs that made him famous: Heart of God, I am a Child, Old Man Look at my Life. The remainder of the DVD is Prairie Winds. Like all singers of his age he's losing his voice, but Young has been smart enough to bring in Emmie Lou Harris, his wife and another woman along with a gospel group to back him up which covers the cracks beautifully. He only sings two songs accapello. He's also added a string quartet and a group of horns for some songs. All in all I was toe-tapping and wishing I could dance through out most of the movie and I noticed so were other members of the audience my age. He's not just country. A lot of his songs had the 'sound of the sixties.'

I'm pleased to report there were adults of all ages in the audience displaying Neil Youung's ability to reach three generations. My daughter turned to me and asked me to order her a CD of his music I thought she'd like. An easy task.

I particularly like the fact that he's still writing his own music and sang new songs except for Four Winds by Ian and Sylvia.

He sang a song to his 21 year old daughter and spoke to the audience of 'empty nest' syndrome in a light manner. His music still spoke to me after all these years and I'll be buying this DVD. It's worth it. For those of you who are new to Neil Young I would recommend his two disc Greatest Hits album "Neil Young: Decade". It's a nice introduction to his music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neil Young: Heart of Gold, Dec 16 2009
Aggie (Victoria B C Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neil Young: Heart of Gold (DVD)
I have been a fan of Neil Young for 35 Years and have to say "He just keeps getting better" This movie is heartwarming and I play this when I need a lift or Inspiration. The movie is also a display of fine musicianship at It's best. What a wonderful group of musicians and characters. My 80 year old mother who lives In Scotland Is also a big fan In fact she was the one who Introduced me to this movie. I hope I get to see them live one day.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding music, July 21 2007
J. Norton "Jeanne" (Campbell River,B.C) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neil Young: Heart of Gold (DVD)
this is one of the greatest musical dvd's i own. i love neil young's music and this is something i will listen to over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb in the theatre...looking forward to the DVD, June 1 2006
R. Pond (Durrell, Newfoundland Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neil Young: Heart of Gold (DVD)
Saw the movie in Toronto in April.Superb.All the musicians wonderful and harmonies first rate.This is definitely a keeper!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gatineau, Quebec, May 12 2009
Luc Tremblay - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neil Young: Heart of Gold (DVD)
Fantastique, I t was a privilege for my friends and I to have vue this dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed every minute., April 12 2013
Better than expected.
Great insight into a talented performer and Canadian musician. Love the song about his dog King and seeing him glance at his wife when he is singing about love.

3.0 out of 5 stars Neil Young fan, Jan. 14 2013
This review is from: Neil Young: Heart of Gold (DVD)
This was a great DVD for Neil Young fans. Would suggest it to anyone.
This DVD did not dissapoint so that was a plus

Neil Young: Heart of Gold
Neil Young: Heart of Gold by Jonathan Demme (DVD - 2006)
CDN$ 47.13