4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Scenic Film With A Great Sense Of Humor
I just saw this film in San Francisco. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this troll myth but some gory violence and primitive script spoken with unintelligible accent.

So I was more than pleasantly surprised when the impacting music and the spectacular pristine scenery quickly took me into the world where a giant's young son experiences a major trauma...
Published on July 6 2006 by Mic Murdoch

1.0 out of 5 stars stinky
Published on June 2 2006 by J. Fernando

4.0 out of 5 stars Beowulf and Grendel - a legend, Nov. 20 2010
This review is from: Beowulf and Grendel (Widescreen) (DVD)
As most legends go, the story is quite intricate. I had never heard of it and found it quite interesting. The movie is somewhat gory, as a lot of other movies these days, but the acting takes you beyond this (mostly). I will definitely watch it again... and again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beowulf the Anti-Hero, Sept. 6 2006
This review is from: Beowulf and Grendel (Widescreen) (DVD)
If you are expecting a literal retelling of the epic, heroic poem, you won't get it from this movie. That's not a criticism on my part. I love the poem as it is, but Gunnarsson has consciously and cleverly stripped away the epic and the heroic from the film, and left us with the bare human elements. We can feel sympathy for Grendel in the film the way we cannot in the poem. Similarily, in the poem, Beowulf fights the good fight wihtout doubt about his rightness to do so. In the movie, Beowulf overtly denies his title "the hero". In a way, Gunnarsson mirrors the original author of the poem. He also took his material, a heroic epic of a pagan hero monster-killer, by then describing events already two centuries old, and converted it into an elegiaic epic acceptable to his now Christian audience. Gunnarsson has taken an 8th century dark ages tale and perhaps made it more accessible to a 21st century audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tale Well Told, May 19 2012
Daffy Bibliophile (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Beowulf and Grendel (Widescreen) (DVD)
This is a great movie that is well worth a look. The production values are excellent, the scenery spectacular, and the characters well cast. Apart from the expected swordplay, there's also humanity in the characters and a surprising thread of humour running through the film (who says the old Norse didn't enjoy a good joke over a few beers).

This movie is not a CGI-generated swords and fantasy production from Hollywood, it's a well-made interpretation of the old Anglo-Saxon epic poem. I didn't find the plot overly complex despite what some claim, but it is a movie that requires the viewers to pay attention in order to follow along and that's not a hard thing to do at all.

Just a heads up for parents: there is profanity and two short sex scenes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Nov. 15 2014
This review is from: Beowulf and Grendel (DVD)
Gerard Butler was great as always. Very good story line.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, Nov. 1 2011
This review is from: Beowulf and Grendel (Widescreen) (DVD)
I thought this was an OK movie. It only deals with a portion of the Beowolf novel. It is certainly a good effort.

1.0 out of 5 stars stinky, June 2 2006
J. Fernando (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beowulf and Grendel (Widescreen) (DVD)
This movie makes me embaressed to be both a Canadian and a fan of the fantasy genre. I can only assume that the author of the previous review was involved in the making of the film, due to the fact that I have never seen such over the top praise of such an amateurish, unfunny, boring, uninspired and ultimately uninteresting production. Yes the scenery is pretty, but believe me, that's all this movie has going for it. I'm done wasting any more effort on reviewing a movie which has already stolen 2 hours of my life. Take heed, you have been warned.

Beowulf and Grendel (Widescreen)
Beowulf and Grendel (Widescreen) by Sturla Gunnarsson (DVD - 2006)
CDN$ 70.62