4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, great edition
Published on Sept. 11 2010 by Chris Iliou

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm SORRY....... I just don't find it that compelling.
Maybe it's because I am new to the whole Progressive Metal scene.
Or maybe it's because I've just never played a guitar in my life.
But "Blackwater Park" by Opeth doesn't stimulate my mind like many other Heavy Metal bands.
Published on March 17 2004 by Jon Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, great edition, Sept. 11 2010
Chris Iliou (Windsor, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This Legacy Edition loses a star on the rating for 2 reason: 1) The price, 2) That annoying sticker is on the actual booklet over the cover art. Small things to complain about but hey, I'm picky. This comes with a bonus DVD featuring a surround mix of the album and it is the main attraction. Just like with Still Life, Ghost Reveries and Watershed, you can downmix the DTS track to 2 channels and have a superior mix that will sound much better than the original cd. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, June 18 2004
Reverend_Maynard (Glasgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackwater Park (Audio CD)
Blackwater Park is an album of amalgamation and perfection, not just for Opeth but for metal as a whole. Until this point, Opeth had been carving out a niche of their own in the world of heavy music, with releases like the stunning 'My arms, Your hearse' or 'Still Life'. But Blackwater Park truly is a 'monumetal mark' to quote the title track, not just in terms of a vision fully realised, bit in terms of finally eliminating any barriers that might be left to the band to take their music onto a new level.
What is immediately apparent upon listening to the opener 'The Leper Affinity' is not just the seamlessness, the perfected ebb and flow of the music, but the incredible comfort with which this supremely talented band approaches music of extreme complexity. Much of this crystal clear, coherent sound can be laid, I believe, at the door of genius producer Steven Wilson, of Porcupine Tree fame. The vocal harmonies have certainly bear his influence, and by God, this record sees some of the best vocal parts they've yet laid down on tape, from the hypnotic mid section of 'Bleak' to the heartbreaking chorus of 'Harvest'. 'Blackwater park' sees the band stretching its creative muscles like never before. Each song has its own distinctive stamp, and each is filled with reams of immaculate ideas and intelligent execution. 'Bleak' has a unique, middle Eatern tinged riff, 'Harvest' evokes sepia coloured autumn days perfectly, while 'The Drapery Falls' rides in on a lilting, melancholy melody that returns in its conclusion and draws tears to my eyes. But the culmination of the record comes in the practically transcendent title track, which surely merits a high water mark for what can be done with the metal genre. It is unrelenting, brutal but hopelessly delicate, the middle section representing acoustic perfection. The cataclysmic conclusion has to be heard to be believed.
One aspect of the record which I've rarely seen commented on is the quality of Akerfeldt's lyrics. His grasp of imagery and his ability to match the words to the mood of the music are particularly immpressive. Worthy of note is the recurring theme of disease and purity, not the most original theme for a metal band, but tackled with real taste. Grotesque images like 'Lepers coiled beneath the trees' and 'perversions bloom(ing) round the bend' are effective in highlighting the dense, intertwined, ghastly nature of the music, while his smart use of natural imagery to paint his evil portraits around, (trees and flowers feature in the above lines) lead one into considering deeper themes of dangerous conempt for natural power, and our task to safeguard the natural world. A brief and obtuse reading of his poetry, perhaps, but a necessary one.
A lanmark release, 'Blackwater park' is utterly obligatory for fans of this type of thing, but newcomers are highly recommnded to start here, with Opeth at least, as this record is very cleverly constructed to reveal layers of complexity beneath initial accessiblity. In fact it's the kind of record people will come back to in 20 years and say: 'That was the most important CD of its time'. The word for this kind of album is, of course, 'masterpiece'.

4.0 out of 5 stars amazing album, Dec 1 2012
Very well recorded, a must for the Opeth fans. Too bad it didn't come with the DVD like in the advertisment description.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm SORRY....... I just don't find it that compelling., March 17 2004
This review is from: Black Water Park (Audio CD)
Maybe it's because I am new to the whole Progressive Metal scene.
Or maybe it's because I've just never played a guitar in my life.
And these are GREAT bands I'm talking about. The likes of Judas Priest, Metallica (old Metallica that is), Antrax, Iron Maiden, and more recently, Blind Guardian and Iced Earth.
These bands produce songs that sound very different from what you'll hear on 'Blackwater Park'. Their songs are much shorter and simpler. Their guitar riffs are more crunching, and their vocals far more soaring. Personally, I think their music is more energetic, catchy and much more of a thrill to hear. (anyone here heard of Iron Maiden ?!?!?!?! )
You can't really jump out of your seat with adrenaline and shriek out the chorus with Opeth. The raw energy just isn't there. And I think that makes the music stale. Don't be mistaken - I do notice the musical intricacies and complex patterns on the album. But unfortunately I'm just not compelled by them. And that's really the most important thing.
Personally, I think Dream Theater is a more successful Progressive Metal band to bridge that towering gap of musical styles. But 'Blackwater Park' is still worth hearing.
In fact, I urge you to try it. Because it certainly may appeal to you.
Maybe someday I'll get into this kind of Metal. And then maybe I'll fall love with it - but 'Blackwater Park' failed to seduce me this time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its ok, Oct. 25 2003
parabolak (Boston, Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Water Park (Audio CD)
Opeth is clearly a talented band but this album is largely uninteresting. It's not the death metal influence that makes it inacessable, but its overreliance on endless song structure and the dizzying formula of switching from heavy to acoustic that does make it unappealing. I find the acoustic sections to be quite good, but the same can not be said about a majority of the louder pieces, although many of the guitar lines are beautiful (drapery falls). The singer does have a good voice and his growl is considerably more polished compared to most death metal voices. The lyrics are good and descriptive, but there is a prententious feel to them that makes them difficult to get into.
I am unable to say that Opeth is one of my favorite bands, but they are a unique band that the more simple-minded will have trouble understanding. Despite my feelings, I have no desire to not recommend this to you. For hardcore Opeth fans, this is all for you. For others who wish to get into Opeth's music, download The Leper Affinity, Bleak, Harvest, Drapery Falls, and Dirge For November, as well as listen to My Arms, You Hearse, their best work to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars unbelieveable, Dec 15 2010
The Nihilest (Fortress of Solitude) - See all my reviews
I'd heard the rave reviews of Opeth for years, so I finally decided to give them a go. Not knowing where to start, I picked the Royal Albert Hall dvd, where they play this album in its entirety all the way through. So naturally, I was completely blown away and had to buy this album immediately.
It covers so much ground musically, it's hard to describe, but since it involves some death metal, it automatically gets categorized like that. But it's a hell of a musical journey, extremely vast in scope, that'll force you to experience almost your full range of emotions and leave you on a high when finished. Even days later, a song or piece of a song will be stuck in your head and still bring a tear to your eye it's so beautiful.
About the sticker on the cover - yes it's directly on the cover, but it's easily removed with some acetone(nail polish remover), which takes off the sticker without damaging the cover in any way whatsoever, I promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easlily Opeth's best, July 16 2004
This review is from: Black Water Park (Audio CD)
This to me is Opeth's darkest album. It also has the best acoustic melodies I've ever heard. Every song is solid, if not epic. "My Arms, Your Hearse" is great also, but lacks the majesty and polish of this release. If you've never heard this band before, this may be the best place to start. This is actually the only Opeth CD that is perfect from start to finish. I would also highly recommend the Lamentations DVD. It truely helps the listener understand the band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opeth - Blackwater Park - Vinyl, Aug. 4 2011
Joel Andrews - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Very happy to have found some of these Vinyl editions, on Amazon too! 180 Gram double LP set, very impressed! Now I can experience this awesome album from Opeth in all it's vinyl glory!!

-- Just an update and FYI, these 180 Gram LP's are heavy, I know I will need a belt replacement, as my turntable is showing those signs with these records. I will continue to buy these, as the 180 gram editions will last a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Phenominal, July 1 2004
"gatechnerd" (Fayetteville, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Water Park (Audio CD)
I have owned this album for about a year now, and I think I've finally got a handle on just how good this is. This isn't a one-time listen album to fully understand. You need to listen to it several times to really grasp just how far-reaching, intelligent, innovative, heavy, and just plain good this album is.
Mikael Akerfelt (I think that's how you spell the lead singer's name) is one of the best vocalists in all of metal music, regardless of subgenre. He can peel paint off the wall with his throat shredding wail and he can also floor you with melody and a truly beautiful singing voice, as evidenced by "Dirge for November". His musical arrangements are so complicated and textured that I still can't pick apart each layer. The texture of the music creates a very dark musical atmosphere. It almost gives the impression of being in a sparse forest, at night, in the winter. When I listen to Blackwater Park, I actually start to feel cold. It's eerie as hell.
To review: Blackwater Park = best heavy record ever, Mikael Akerfelt = brilliant. Buy this album already!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best of our time, June 16 2004
This review is from: Black Water Park (Audio CD)
No seriously, Opeth portrays one of best musical and lyrical projects ever created. Buy it, if you love music. Just because it is 8 tracks long doesn't mean it isnt worth it. It is longer than most cds I own. I admire Opeth for having enough talent to be able to write for 10 minutes long. The title track only is worth the cd. Opeth's ability to combin progressive metal, acoustics, and death metal is impressive and they do it with each release. Buy this album you won't be let down
To add on, Opeth actually has talent compared to all other so called metal bands. It is a must have for metal heads and a must have for all Korn fans who think they are so "hXc".

Blackwater Park
Blackwater Park by Opeth (Audio CD - 2011)