5.0 out of 5 stars Fast & easy, Feb. 1 2010
This review is from: Cisco SPA2102 2FXS VoIP Phone Adapter with Router (Personal Computers)
I purchased this unit when, dissatisfied with the value received from my local Bell company, I wanted to get more features and more power for less money using VOIP. Though I plan in the future to run my own Asterisk box, this is an excellent first step, as the device can be configured to work via IAX (which is the Asterisk protocol). This device appears to be the most widely supported - virtually all VOIP providers know how to set it up with their service.

After reading a few online reviews, I selected a highly rated provider who offered unlimited incoming calls for about $5 / month and outgoing calls for less than a penny / minute. Following their instructions, I was up and running in 5 minutes flat, placing my first phone call, and checking incoming calls with my existing landline. I will be porting my landline number shortly and give up Bell altogether.

The device sits behind my router with no performance degradation. There is no echo or clipping and the voice quality is excellent. It is best to keep the VOIP adapter separate from your router, as combo devices do not do routing well. Note however that you might be able to install Asterisk on such devices.

Though some providers offer this device claiming that it is unlocked, I prefer to buy it brand new (and obviously unlocked) and shop for VOIP service separately. I recommend this approach to anyone, whether it is VOIP or cell service you are shopping for.

This is an excellent device for VOIP first-timers. Note however that the unit does not support either the fax (T.38) or high-definition (G.722) voice codecs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect VIOP solution, Sept. 5 2012
Purchased this device as a VOIP replacement to Bell. Product arrived a couple of days after purchasing it and I was able to configure it with my (freephoneline.ca) VOIP settings in about 5 minutes.
Call quality is superb and the interface to put in my settings is extensive to say the least.
There are 2 phone line ports on the back with each one having its own voip configuration capabilities which gives the user a ton of options for configuring voice options.

There are screen shots of the interface here;

[...]

I used this link to set the router and just subbed in my settings provided by freephoneline.ca and the router worked like a charm in under 5 minutes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good VOIP adapter, Oct. 21 2011
The VOIP adapter part is good, but the routing part not so much. If you use it as a router and also use high traffic programs like uTorrent it will jam the VOIP adapter and your phone will not work until you unplug and replug the power adaptor.
In this case is better to use your own router.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good-bye Telcos, July 6 2014
I used this little device to rid my household of a traditional phone and moved to VoIP. Using a SIP provider of my choice, I'm down to a $3 a month phone bill and I still have e911 and call display. Setup is technically challenging, but most SIP providers have plenty of instructions to help you along.

Phone call quality is mostly good despite having limited QoS control. When you take the savings into account though, it's hard to beat moving to VoIP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Voip Simple Perfect Device, Nov. 17 2012
You don't need more than that for your residence communication needs. It does it all! Routing (if need be) switching and easy to install.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice product, Jan. 30 2012
The modem works very nicely once configured, but be aware that the configuration of such a device is not very user friendly. There is a lot of settings that may need changing depending of the VOIP provider you choose.

My only complaint is that you CANNOT update the device firmware from a Windows7 machine. I had to use my old Windows XP to perform the update.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy installation works to my satisfaction, Aug. 30 2012
I bought this recently to connect to Acanac VOIP in Canada. Setup, accompanied by Acanac videos was straightforward, even for those only slightly computer savvy like me. Phone calls are clear and uninterrupted. This may be multifactorial but at least I can say the VOIP ATA works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Small, easy to set up., Dec 6 2011
I've been considering jumping into the residential VOIP phone thing for a while. When I moved into my new place this summer, I got a 3-month freebie home phone from Rogers, and enjoyed the convenience of being able to make my work conference calls without using up my cell phone minutes. At the end of the three months, I returned that home phone - I don't see the point of paying almost 30 dollars a month for just a couple of calls.

Having used and set up VOIP phone installations before, I knew they could be complex. Then I heard about Callcentric, checked out the reviews about them on dslreports, and checked out their website for installation instructions. Decided that I'd rather go with a Cisco/Linksys device (available for immediate shipping) rather than wait two to three weeks for them to ship me the Grandstream one which was about 20 dollars cheaper.

Lucky me - I received it the very next day after I ordered it! Living in Toronto has some major pluses, especially that it's close to the Mississauga shipping hub for amazon.ca!

In less than 30 minutes after receiving this device, I was up and running, following the generic Linksys PAP2 instructions (okay, I did have to also adopt one step from the SPA3102, to enable the WAN access) at callcentric.

No hassles, except for needing to figure out that I had to stop and restart (read, "unplug and plug back in") my wireless internet router after connecting the SPA 2102. And a little weirdness on the callcentric site when I purchased an incoming DID, but didn't realise that I also had to actually put funds into my account before I could actually receive calls on my home phone.

The actual device set up was maybe ten minutes. The rest was figuring out that I needed to restart my wireless router, and then that I needed to fund my account before placing or receiving calls (not anything to do with the adapter!).

I immediately used the phone to place a call to India - I've been using calling cards so far, and I guess they are heavily congested: my parents tell me the connection is crystal clear, except for a slight delay at the beginning of the call (I could hear them, they could not hear me).

So ease-of-setup: 5 stars
Delivery time: 5+ stars (I did NOT expect to receive this less than 24 hours after placing the order)
Call quality: 5 stars

What's not to like? Best of all, I have the option to add another line to the setup - this device can handle two lines, and so can my ancient Bell Vista phone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold standard for VOIP service, Aug. 13 2012
J. Worona "Running Man" (Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this product on a recommendation from a friend who lives and breathes technology. This unit is very customizable for any VOIP service, just make sure to contact your provider for the specific settings. I use this with VOIP.ms

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work fine with FreePhoneLine, Aug. 22 2014
Seems to work fine with FreePhoneLine.ca. Set-up parameters require some search on the web but all went fine. Recommended for anyone who wants to go to VoIP phone.

Cisco SPA2102 2FXS VoIP Phone Adapter with Router