4.0 out of 5 stars Wish it was less linear
Haven't beaten the game yet, I am at the open area but it too so friggen long to get there. Way to linear for way too long! Its a shame because the combat and graphics are amazing.
Published on March 31 2011 by Darkin20

Published on March 14 2010 by Kid Robot

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish it was less linear, March 31 2011
Darkin20 "Darkin" (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Ce commentaire est de: Final Fantasy XIII - PlayStation 3 Standard Edition (Video Game)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, Nov. 18 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
If you are a fan of the final fantasy world, XIII does not disappoint.

Final Fantasy XIII has a great story line that I've come to except from any FF game.

Recommended to seasoned players or n00bs.

;p

5.0 out of 5 stars Final Fantasy XIII, Aug. 1 2012
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Everything about this game his perfect. Beautiful HD graphic and ready good story. The only ''maybe'' bad thing it's that is not a ''open world game''... but when you understand that, it's all good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Flawed: Nice to Look at But Lacking in the Game Department., March 14 2010
Kid Robot (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
After having played Bioware's Dragon Age: Origins, which I think is the best RPG to come out in the past year in terms of gameplay/story, I was a bit dismayed by what many viewers are describing as a very linear game in FFXIII with lackluster gameplay and no consequential actions whatsoever. Everything is gorgeous to look at for sure and I actually thought perhaps this would have fared better as a str8-to-blu-ray Movie Trilogy release as I kind of felt like I was "playing" to see what happens in the cut scenes.

The story itself is somewhat compelling and interesting but average at best. I wasn't exactly hanging at the edge of my seat or drawn in by a Shakespearean plot. But I will admit that it's just so damned pretty to look at.

PROS:
- Amazing visual experience/graphics are best I've seen to date.
- Interesting characters with intersecting POV/storyline
- Highly customizable character stats with "crystarium"

CONS:
- A lot of grinding
- No consequences to any actions for most of the game except dying in battle.
- Convoluted plot with too many details for me to actually care for.
- very few NPCs to interact with
- Linear aspect prevents free-roaming/exploration except in some rare locations.

RPG-CRACK-ADDICTIVENESS: 6/10 because it's so pretty and I want to watch the cutscenes, not because I feel like I have to play.

That being said if you enjoy the Final Fantasy series you will probably not want to miss this. I would add that I don't base my reviews on purely visual aesthetics - while it is certainly an important factor to any video game release, I think a good game's strengths lie in the storytelling, characters, gameplay and how those factors all work together with the graphics which can be forgiven if it's actually that much fun to play. I will personally be looking more forward to trying out Heavy Rain and Dragon Age Awakening to remedy my RPG-crack-addict-fix.

Side Note: I've been reading a lot of "officially published reviews" on IGN/Gamespot and I don't know what kind of biased-sponsor-crack they've been smoking but I'm actually surprised everyone is giving this game such a high score when there are so many other great games out there. I'm a strong believer in plot-centric games that are actually fun to play.

UPDATE: I'm at Gran Pulse now and I am actually losing interest. The gameplay is super redundant. Wired Magazine did a really fair and unbiased review on their website and I'm glad someone out there has the critical thinking ability to discern what makes a game FUN. This game is JUST OK unless you're a FF Fan Boy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, great service, April 23 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
The game was shipped promptly and arrived in perfect condition. This game is a lot of fun to play and I recommend it to anyone with some time to kill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, July 28 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Fast shipping, perfect condition, no complaint. if your a fantasy fan, this is a must own title into your collection of FF games, no disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horribly Unbalanced & Confusing, June 10 2010
J. Arsenault ""Sofaholic"" (Laval, QUE CAN) - See all my reviews
Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I was hoping for soo much more on Final Fantasy`s first outting on a Next Gen console and it is sad to say, but I was terribly dissapointed. I give 2 stars for the graphics in this game which are mindblowing near the end of the game, but aside form that the game is confusing in many different aspects and is way too streamlined. The difficulty is unbalanced to the point where each fight in the game begins to take 10 - 15 minutes. Rent before you buy. I`m going to do that for sure when the next one comes out. I`ve totally lost faith in Square now. Pitty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks, Oct. 3 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
that is good . It an interesting game. I love the story of this game . It is worth to buy

3.0 out of 5 stars Based on watching someone else play, March 29 2011
Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I haven't played FFXIII yet, but my girlfriend has and I glanced at the TV enough to get an idea about it. She gives it 2.5-3.0, and that seems about right as an observer. The gameplay is mostly repetitive, even more so than a standard JRPG because in combat you only really control one character at a time, and you're mostly pressing auto-attack. The visuals are very nice with FF quality cutscenes (ie, pretty darn cool), but some of the voice acting is obnoxious. There is a baby chocobo that lives in an afro, so maybe it's worth the price of admission just for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the end of a dynasty, May 26 2010
P. Smith "P.D.Smith, RN, BSN." (Fort ST. John, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
To Summarize,

Pros:
Stunning visual game
Controls

Cons:
Linear detailed story line
Battle System
Few NPCs
Battle System

The Blog:

Well, I had waited a long time to play this game. I was so excited to open the case and slide the disk into my PS3.
The first 20-30 hours felt like I was playing a side scrolling game with the occasional interruption for a cut scene which attempted to produce a plot.
I don't think I have ever heard the word cocoon more then in final fantasy XIII. The dialog used is repetitive.

As for the battle system. The game designers get an A for the attempt to create something new and challenging. However, in doing so they removed all the fun out of playing a role playing game. I want to control my entire party not just one character. Perhaps this would have been better if it wasn't sudden death if the player controlled character didn't cause 'game over' when that one character is defeated.

There are few towns, with even less to do in them. There is like no money in the game. Okay, so Square Enix attempted to stop the standard town dungeon town dungeon boss role playing game system. It was nice for about 10 minutes to have something new. Then, it was boring.

This game failed to impress. With the exception of the absolutely stunning graphics. This is the most attractive game I have ever played. Visually FFXIII created a world I desperately wanted to be submersed in. Regretfully, a battle system that did not engage me as a player and a dull story line prevented me from being submersed in this game.

This game left me hungry for a classic RPG like FFVI or FFVII. I think it is time to return to basics by creating a blockbuster, engaging story. Entertaining characters that the player wants to play and a battle system that holds true to an RPG.

FFXIII bombed big time. If I could still return my copy, I would. If FFXIV does not impress, I will stop following this RPG dynasty franchise. Difficult words from someone who owns ever FF game he is able to own.

Rent before you buy.