Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: Video GameChange

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on March 31, 2011
Haven't beaten the game yet, I am at the open area but it too so friggen long to get there. Way to linear for way too long! Its a shame because the combat and graphics are amazing.
on May 26, 2010
To Summarize,

Stunning visual game

Linear detailed story line
Battle System
Few NPCs
Battle System

The Blog:

Well, I had waited a long time to play this game. I was so excited to open the case and slide the disk into my PS3.
The first 20-30 hours felt like I was playing a side scrolling game with the occasional interruption for a cut scene which attempted to produce a plot.
I don't think I have ever heard the word cocoon more then in final fantasy XIII. The dialog used is repetitive.

As for the battle system. The game designers get an A for the attempt to create something new and challenging. However, in doing so they removed all the fun out of playing a role playing game. I want to control my entire party not just one character. Perhaps this would have been better if it wasn't sudden death if the player controlled character didn't cause 'game over' when that one character is defeated.

There are few towns, with even less to do in them. There is like no money in the game. Okay, so Square Enix attempted to stop the standard town dungeon town dungeon boss role playing game system. It was nice for about 10 minutes to have something new. Then, it was boring.

This game failed to impress. With the exception of the absolutely stunning graphics. This is the most attractive game I have ever played. Visually FFXIII created a world I desperately wanted to be submersed in. Regretfully, a battle system that did not engage me as a player and a dull story line prevented me from being submersed in this game.

This game left me hungry for a classic RPG like FFVI or FFVII. I think it is time to return to basics by creating a blockbuster, engaging story. Entertaining characters that the player wants to play and a battle system that holds true to an RPG.

FFXIII bombed big time. If I could still return my copy, I would. If FFXIV does not impress, I will stop following this RPG dynasty franchise. Difficult words from someone who owns ever FF game he is able to own.

Rent before you buy.
on October 15, 2015
small scratches on the case. Perfect CD condition though
on August 7, 2015
It final fantasy you either love it or hate it. TRUTH
on December 21, 2010
I bought the game 1 day ago, I played like 7 hours from now, I really love this game.

First, the graphics.

The graphics are just amazing, I think that FFXIII has the best graphic ever.

I really love the story, most of the games I played, I didn't watch the cinematic, but in this game I watch all of them.

Linear play.

Most of people say that this is so much linear that the game become boring. In fact it's true for some people, but I didn't find it so bad, I'm not saying it super cool to be controlled, but it's not that bad.

Combat system.

The combat system is cool but kind of bad because you are just giving orders , so it becomes a little bit boring.

The game takes 50 hours to finish it and 100 hours to finish it if you do the sub missions.

So that's, if you didn't play the older final fantasy and that you are not a hardcore, you will like it and if not you will maybe not like it.

I'm giving a 4 stars because of the combat system and because of the linear play.
on March 1, 2011
Ever heard of the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover"? Well this game can relate to that. Google and youtube the game and you will be absolutely amazed and stunned. FFXIII is one of the prettiest games I have ever seen. The whole subject of fantasy is in full detail here. Character designs are spectacular, environments are very well done and spells,skills,etc. are eye candies. All in all, the graphics are flat out beautiful. But that's where the good points end. FFXIII tries too much on the beauty side it completely forgot to polish everything else.

This game is a perfect analogy to the movie Avatar - the story complements the graphics and not like Inception where the graphics complement the movie and its story.

Let's start with the story. Personally, I think Final Fantasy 1-10 have great stories. I despised 12's because of its politics and all. FF13 takes a different approach but still fails miserably. The ending can be confusing to some people. The whole story can be confusing if you forget some dialogues. The villain is predictable, even the ending is predictable, though as I said it can be confusing as well. The development of characters and the story core itself was done nicely but wasn't enough for the player (at least for me) to be 'attached' to the characters. In previous FF's, some characters became popular with the fans. This is due to their development during the game. FFXIII fails in this category. If you're on the hardcore side of gaming and expect an experience similar to other previous Final Fantasy's, you will be disappointed with this one. At least the voice acting was done relatively well.

Another negative is the gameplay itself. Final Fantasy XIII has made headlines across the internet for its linearity. Wondering what that means? Well, the game is LITERALLY a straight line path that has few 10 second detours for an obvious treasure chest. Up until about 3/4 - that's 75% of the story, you will be basically controlled by the game. All the enemies, level ups, items you get are how the game wants it to be. You can still grind obviously, but the enemies will be exactly the same, unlike the random battles in other FF games. If you do grind, the game will stop you at some point where you can no longer learn ANYTHING (but you do save your experience for the time the game allows you to progress). The map you follow as I said is a straight line with few lefts and rights that lead to items. Another thing is, THERE ARE NO TOWNS. No people to talk to. No shops to shop at. No sidequests to take except at the 3/4 part of the game. You can only shop at save points (What the hell, right?) Oh yeah, you will also forget a potion is after this game. You will be using it for the first 1-2 hours of the game then will completely forget about it. Trust me.

You are basically your party progressing through a lined map, killing enemies, picking up items and gaining experience points to learn skills/magic/etc. This is what you should expect in the first 15-20 hours of the game, depending on how fast you progress. And that's nearly 75% of the story.
And once you get to that non-linear part, you are basically stuck in 1 gigantic map with only a few other small maps to visit for the ENTIRE game.

A good plus is the battle system. It's a very fun combat system that is accompanied by superb graphics. The game slowly teaches you the basics so you don't get too puzzled when you are introduced to the more advanced system. Again, due to the linearity of the game, you are limited to what you can actually play around with. When you reach that long awaited 75% mark, the game opens up - and I mean OPENS UP- and you will have your well deserved freedom. There will be sidequests though these only involves killing monsters (yes, absolutely no people to talk to in this game, except for 1 special storyline map). There will be enemies that you need to avoid at this point. But this is where you actually learn how to enjoy the battle system. I also like how the game isn't like others where you can just choose 3 party members and blaze through the story and enemies. The game has specific roles for each character (even after you learn all their skills) so you are given the challenging task of creating a formidable party.

I earned the Platinum trophy just over 100 hours - but around 20 hours involve grinding and killing monsters in hopes of earning a rare item that sells for a good amount of gil (currency). You should also know that gil is earned only by selling loot. That should say a lot about the game's longevity.

To summarize:
If you're a Final Fantasy veteran looking for something similar to the older FFs, do NOT expect the same thing. This game will only disappoint you. But if you are someone interested in trying out a JRPG or want something with beautiful graphics and fun gameplay, give this one a try.
Even after all the negatives I pointed out, I would still rate this game a 4/5 because of the fun factor which is most important to me. Now it's $30 so it's DEFINITELY worth it.

+ Beautiful graphics
+ Fun combat system
+ Some enemies can be challenging and demand proper party set up
+ Soundtrack is pleasant to hear

- Terrible story
- Linearity will drive seasoned players mad
- No towns. No people. It's just your party either running away or chasing someone
- Item/equipment creation system is very tedious and time consuming
- Characters can be annoying and lifeless
on March 20, 2011
everyone in this game is so emo. oh no - i blame you for killing my mom. oh no - i blame you for my sister. oh no, i blame myself for my fiance. oh woe is me. you'd think a black dude with a fro would be cool but he is emo too and hangs out with a baby bird that made a nest in his hair.

at least there's a motorcycle in the game that's made of 2 lesbian chicks. that's kind of cool.
on February 4, 2012
Despite all the criticism it got, I found Final Fantasy XIII to be a great game. I really liked the story, because I felt it was refreshing and original whereas a lot of modern RPG's are not so. I also liked the combat, which the gameplay focused around, because in the later battles it allowed for a decent bit of strategic depth in planning out your battles.
I have to agree with everyone who criticizes the game for its linearity though. For the first half of the game, which is quite a bit of hours, the game is basically cutscenes, followed by a few battles and walking down a straight path that doesn't branch, and then watching more cutscenes, -rinse and repeat. Of course, this is basically what Final Fantasy X was, so I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy it if you enjoyed FFX.
Just be warned that this game is a story-driven game, and if you don't mind having to play through about 30 hours of a game before the game opens up with freedom to explore and take on side quests, then you should probably be fine. Otherwise, maybe just rent it before buying. This game is for hardcore RPG and FF fans. If you don't mind a game that's slow-paced and story-driven for the most part, then you'll probably enjoy what Final Fantasy XIII has to offer.
on October 6, 2011
I started playing Final Fantasy from the seventh game. I went back after they remade the older ones. FF13 is a great game. The first few chapters are pretty boring. It does get a lot stronger around chapter 7. I admit it is a linear game but I have never heard anyone complain about zelda the most linear game series ever. Yes the whole zelda series is linear. Final Fantasy 13 is the most linear in the series but I found that it started to happen around FF10. I'm not a big fan of the weapon system either. It's very time consuming trying to get the money together to get yourself some items. The battle system I found great. It required strategy unlike FF8. Again some boss battles were long but I found that in FF12 too. If anyone is new to the series I recommend going to some of the classics like FF7,FF6 and FF4 they are the main 3 to play in that order.
Overall it's still a great game I did complete but it wasn't near the same level as the 3 games I mentioned a moment ago.
on May 19, 2010
Is really really pretty looking, but the game play fell a bit short of fun on the combat system. There's also no mini-games to be had to distract me from the rather poor story. The game is still worth the purchase, but didn't live up to the expectation set by its predecessors.

See 1 answered question