Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: Video GameChange

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on March 14, 2010
After having played Bioware's Dragon Age: Origins, which I think is the best RPG to come out in the past year in terms of gameplay/story, I was a bit dismayed by what many viewers are describing as a very linear game in FFXIII with lackluster gameplay and no consequential actions whatsoever. Everything is gorgeous to look at for sure and I actually thought perhaps this would have fared better as a str8-to-blu-ray Movie Trilogy release as I kind of felt like I was "playing" to see what happens in the cut scenes.

The story itself is somewhat compelling and interesting but average at best. I wasn't exactly hanging at the edge of my seat or drawn in by a Shakespearean plot. But I will admit that it's just so damned pretty to look at.

- Amazing visual experience/graphics are best I've seen to date.
- Interesting characters with intersecting POV/storyline
- Highly customizable character stats with "crystarium"

- A lot of grinding
- No consequences to any actions for most of the game except dying in battle.
- Convoluted plot with too many details for me to actually care for.
- very few NPCs to interact with
- Linear aspect prevents free-roaming/exploration except in some rare locations.

RPG-CRACK-ADDICTIVENESS: 6/10 because it's so pretty and I want to watch the cutscenes, not because I feel like I have to play.

That being said if you enjoy the Final Fantasy series you will probably not want to miss this. I would add that I don't base my reviews on purely visual aesthetics - while it is certainly an important factor to any video game release, I think a good game's strengths lie in the storytelling, characters, gameplay and how those factors all work together with the graphics which can be forgiven if it's actually that much fun to play. I will personally be looking more forward to trying out Heavy Rain and Dragon Age Awakening to remedy my RPG-crack-addict-fix.

Side Note: I've been reading a lot of "officially published reviews" on IGN/Gamespot and I don't know what kind of biased-sponsor-crack they've been smoking but I'm actually surprised everyone is giving this game such a high score when there are so many other great games out there. I'm a strong believer in plot-centric games that are actually fun to play.

UPDATE: I'm at Gran Pulse now and I am actually losing interest. The gameplay is super redundant. Wired Magazine did a really fair and unbiased review on their website and I'm glad someone out there has the critical thinking ability to discern what makes a game FUN. This game is JUST OK unless you're a FF Fan Boy.
on March 29, 2011
I haven't played FFXIII yet, but my girlfriend has and I glanced at the TV enough to get an idea about it. She gives it 2.5-3.0, and that seems about right as an observer. The gameplay is mostly repetitive, even more so than a standard JRPG because in combat you only really control one character at a time, and you're mostly pressing auto-attack. The visuals are very nice with FF quality cutscenes (ie, pretty darn cool), but some of the voice acting is obnoxious. There is a baby chocobo that lives in an afro, so maybe it's worth the price of admission just for that.
on April 10, 2010
I enjoyed it, but the gameplay didn't really do it for me.
This is MY opinion of the game and I understand that a lot of you vocal people out there may disagree and that's entirely acceptable.
I played on PS3 as I wanted to get into the FFXIV beta, being a player of FFXI.

Amazing cut scenes.
The Paradigm shifts are really interesting.
Leveling the gear is neat.
The tutorials are very indicative and do teach you the game play very well.

You will spend a large portion of time watching cut scenes.
Maps aren't really that complex up until chapter 10. (Which is pretty much within the last chapters...)
You will feel that by confirming the auto-attack you may not be in the driver's seat.
Poor voice acting and plot for the most part. (It's almost like watching a soap opera)
Confusing names like L'Cie and Falcie. (It took me a while to understand this.)

I understand that SE will most likely never go back to the ways of FFVI but I truly wish they bettered their game play. I see nothing wrong with turn based!

Again, this is my opinion of the game. Feel free to post your own.
on April 9, 2010
Bless Square Enix, they really seem to try. When I say that Final Fantasy XIII is formulaic, one has to remember that they themselves created the formula and then made it popular, and that the formula appears to be an alchemic one that turns fanbase into gold.

Every single iteration revamps the combat system. Every single iteration introduces new characters and a completely new world setting. So, why does it all feel so samey? Well, the character design doesn't help. Lightning might not be a bunny wearing stockings and highheels (sorry, a Viera then) but she shares Fran's taciturnity and lack of compromise. In much the same way we see the stereotypes of yore come out to play again. There's the whiny male youth who hates his life, the world and everyone in it but lacks the self-esteem to say anything about it, the so-perky-she-must-be-on-something female youth who no doubt has a mystery in her background, there's the Paladin who tries to save everyone and bears a secret guilt... and so on...

In addition the Killzone/Jinroh inspired security troops add an air of dejavu to the proceedings.

That and the very slow lead in to the main gameplay essentially caused me to be ground down with boredom before I had got the 20+ hours into the game that cause it to begin to open up. Endless repetition of corridor battles and a storyline that inevitably hopped away from the character I preferred to the ones I couldn't bear were just too much for me to withstand. After a break I'm going to push back in and see if I can make progress - but as more than one person has said, playing games shouldn't feel so much like work.
on March 27, 2013
Je suis satisfait de mon achat, prix et temps d'envoi raisonable.
En bonne état.

bla bla bla bla bla bla
on January 26, 2013
I was expecting more from a Final Fantasy Games. This game actually asks the question "can there be too much of a good thing", and surprisingly the answer is YES, there can absolutely be too much of a good thing.

One of the best aspects of any FF games is the great story lines that usually accompany the games. This game does not disappoint in that aspect, but in this case the story seems to take over the entire game and leaves very little room for anything else.

I like the return of the battle screen after a short absence in FFXII, but where is the open world? where are the villages and in-between spaces? 90% of this game is incredibly linear, which is not what I expected or wanted out of a FF game. Of all previous FF games, this one resembles FFX the most, with even fewer open spaces.

See 1 answered question