5.0 out of 5 stars Review on Backdraft
I ordered it for my Grandson for Christmas, he is fireman crazy (only 10 tears old but loves to watch the old movies).
Everything in excellent condition and arrived in timely fashion. Thank you
Published 15 months ago by Ann Renton

3.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood inferno.
Published on April 13 2004 by Ohio Media Man

4.0 out of 5 stars Backdraft, Jan. 29 2013
Joyce Gavan "joygav" (Millet, AB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Backdraft (2-disc Anniversary Edition) (Bilingual) (DVD)
THis was a gift for my son. He used to watch it as a young child and watches it once a year. He said it was good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review on Backdraft, Jan. 7 2013
This review is from: Backdraft (2-disc Anniversary Edition) (Bilingual) (DVD)
Everything in excellent condition and arrived in timely fashion. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars "You Go...We Go!", Feb. 29 2004
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. I still have a lot of memories of being thrilled when watching this movie so many times when I was younger when this movie was released all those years ago and now nearly 13 years after it's release, "Backdraft" still succeeds on all fronts in delivering the action and explosive fiery special effects. In regards to certain events of recent times, this movie has become very compelling on both a personal and worldly level. It even reminds me of when much of Chicago looked so gritty back around the late 1980s and early 1990s even in some of the nicer neighborhoods around that period in time. Plus it also kind of explores the unknown areas. While the movie isn't based on a true story, the writer behind this film witnessed a comrade actually lose his life because of a backdraft which blasted him across a street and into a fence. It was this loss that inspired him to write the storyline of this movie.
Anyhow let's get to the movie. It's a tale of two feuding McCaffrey brothers Stephen and Brian McCaffrey who have generally been at odds with each other for almost their whole lives but both of their lives are changed when their father Dennis and now amidst the conflict they've had with each other, the two struggle to carry on the family firefighting business. Amidst their longstanding distant relations, their fire department is grappled with a large outbreak of arson attacks that have been occurring at a disturbingly frequent rate in Chicago and the whole department is at a fast pace to track down the causes, and possibly the one responsible for the fires. Also, another major hurdle in the fire department's investigation into the cause of the numerous fires sweeping Chicago ARE major funding cutbacks from an inept bureaucratic alderman (played by the late J.T.Walsh) and it's making an already dangerous task a much bigger headache not only for lieutenant Rimgale, but also making things a lot more complicated for the feuding McCaffrey Brothers.
Back when this movie was new back in the early 1990s, I enjoyed it for its edge-of-your seat action but today, I love this movie for many more reasons now. First, the movie's tale of the heroism of firefighting and how they are ready and not afraid to put their own lives on hold to save others is absolutely gripping and sometimes saddening to know but also very compelling. Another thing that really makes this compelling as well is the sometimes heartbreaking tale of what it's like to be in the shadow of an experienced firefighter who is also one's own brother. Although I've experienced little sibling conflict, as a younger brother, I can especially understand all the insecurity of what Brian goes through in this movie. The movie is also very compelling with the intense and rich music by composer Hans Zimmer. The fiery special effects are absolutely amazing especially for it's time.
However, I would have to say that I have noticed some occasional flaws in this movie but they do not take away any of its power and entertainment factor by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps the greatest speed bump is that this defies some of the real life laws of physics. In several scenes, the firefighters go right into the burning buildings with no gas masks and no oxygen tanks either. This is probably what has turned some people off here. In real life, these firefighters in this movie would have suffered third degree burns and burned to death in just a matter of minutes but also there are also the numerous noxious fumes that fires can generate and they would have suffered permanent and or serious lung damage from the heat of the hot air and the smoke. That brings to mind, in several of the fires in this movie, I have noticed little smoke in many of them. I've seen cooking grills in the backyard generate smoke than some of the scenes in the movie. These are just some things that I feel were evident in this movie but I guess even then, it would've been impossible to create a movie that would perfectly follow the laws of physics especially one like "Backdraft" so I forgive them for this and it doesn't subtract any stars from the ratings.
I give my hands down to Kurt Russell and William Baldwin who played the emotionally distant brothers Stephen "The Bull" and Brian McCaffrey. Kurt Russell's role as Stephen was very intense and sometimes heart-wrenching as he played the emotionally unstable elder McCaffrey brother. I especially was moved by William Baldwin's portrayal as the younger firefighter brother Brian. Although I've gotten along very well with my older brother on an overall note, but as a younger sibling, I especially identify quite well with Brian's character. It's very emotionally heartbreaking seeing the often very fractious relations between the two firefighting siblings especially towards the latter half of the movie. The other cast are really great as well. Robert De Niro's role as the lieutenant Donald Rimgale was so cool especially when Rimgale is disgruntled when trying to find out the causes of all of these numerous fires. I really feel that De Niro's role is hindered by the fact that Rimgale is more of a background character than a major character. Although only a minor role and in a few scattered scenes, I really thought that Donald Sutherlands role as the former arsonist Donald Bartel was absolutely a thrill to watch and even very chilling at times. The only disappointing thing about Rimgale and Bartel is that this movie doesn't allow much insight into these two and I felt they could really have used more development. While not to the degree of dropping the ball necessarily, the female roles of Rebecca De Mornay as Stephen's estranged wife, and Jennifer Jason Leigh as the secretary to the alderman I felt were rather unremarkable in my opinion.
Everyone involved with this project deserves all of the praise that they can get. Not only have they created a very entertaining film, they've also succeeded in making a very compelling and heroic movie about the most underappreciated heroes that our country is blessed with. The ending is also very touching in a way the few movies do once finished. "Backdraft" is one of the most underrated movies of the past 25 years and is one of the greatest action movies ever made. If I were to pick a favorite of mines from Ron Howard, "Backdraft" is my pick for his best movie to date not only because of excellent directing but because of a highly compelling plot, excellent script and incredible special effects as well. The music, courtesy of Hans Zimmer, is absolutely amazing and makes this movie even more compelling and encouraging to the extent that it almost makes you want to do something good for society. I highly recommend that you get your hands on a copy of this movie because it's one of the most compelling and emotional movies that has ever been made. The ending is really one of the most moving endings I've ever seen in a movie outside of "Lord of The Rings: Return of The King". The DVD unfortunately offers little in the way of extras and the transfer is asking for a better re-transfer for perhaps a "Special Edition" DVD some unknown future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood inferno., April 13 2004
Ohio Media Man (Columbus, OH, USA) - See all my reviews
"Backdraft" is Hollywood's version of the firefighter's life. The men are blue collar, ordinary guys who are at times heroic and other times cowardly, men who fight fires because it's their job. Being a Hollywood movie, however, most of the men are in-shape, rugged masculine types who cruise to an alarm call with rock music blasting from the fire engine stereo system and who fight fires that contain surprisngly little smoke. Kurt Russell is not altogether likeable in this film, and yet he carries his two roles off successfully with his familiar macho persona. William Baldwin is the standout character, and shows a vulnerable side to the world of firemen that is usually not seen on film. Pyrotechnics are first rate, although there are many more explosions and a lot less smoke than in real-life fires. Another slick film from Opie Taylor.

4.0 out of 5 stars respectable movie, April 5 2004
schackdaddy (www.schackdaddy.com) - See all my reviews
I was a fire fighter 82-83, and i seen the movie when it was in the theatre, i liked it a lot, in fact i used to work but a few blocks away from the china town station on cermak road where some of the footage was shot, it dealt with fire house comrades, dealt with " hero syndrome", i was not expecting a techical as it really suppose to be movie, but the heroism displayed by
the fire fighters are 5 star commendable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another First Rate Movie By Ron Howard, Jan. 27 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Backdraft (VHS Tape)
Ron Howard presented us with another first rate movie. The steller cast alone makes it wonderful. The subject is an issue we sometimes take for granted and will cause us to stop and pause and be grateful for all that our beloved firemen do for us. Call it favortism if you will because my son and grandson are both firemen but this is a truly collectiable movie I can watch over and over.The sibling rivalry is believeable as well as the marital discord for Kurt Russell because of the danger he is constantly exposed to and he LOVES being a fireman!It has all of the dirty politics and mystery of "who done it" that makes a great plot!It also gives us a chance to see how the internal behind the scenes fire department works for us.An absolute MUST SEE movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie!, Dec 25 2003
R. Gammon "LiveFree" (AMERICA!) - See all my reviews
I love this Movie, being I am a Fire Fighter, I can relate to alot of of happenes. Sure you wont see Backdrafts in every fire like in the movie, But thats why its a movie. Its not going to be 100% correct all the time.
The special effects are awsome, and the actors fit the parts perfectly. I wish they would have givin Dinero a bigger part in the movie, but ohh well. I highly suggest this movie to everyone. You will get to see what Fire Fighters do, and how they put there life on the line everyday to save lives and property. One of my favorite movies, and it reminds me why I put my life at risk to do what I love....... being a Fire Fighter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking!, Nov. 30 2003
One of my all time favorite movies "Backdraft" still blows me away with it's breathtaking fiery special effects and it's intense plot about firefighters fighting fires all over Chicago's ghetto neighborhoods. The fires are being caused by a series of vicious arson attacks and the firefighters are now on a mission to track down the arsonist and are in the midst of fighting off budget cutbacks from a sleazy alderman. They are in for a surprise for who they discover is the real arsonist.
This movie is absolutely amazing with it's fire scenery and the awesome acting from Kurt Russell and William Baldwin. Robert De Niro's role isn't all that great but not that bad either.
Go and buy this DVD! You can't go wrong with this breathtaking classic. By far one of my all-time favorites and don't listen to the negative reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars this movie is HOT!!!, Nov. 13 2003
Michael Bolts (superior, wiusa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Backdraft (VHS Tape)
great movie with Kurt Russell, William Baldwin, Scott Glenn, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Robert DeNiro to name a few, though Leigh seems like she doesnt belong. great fire sequences and why the **ck did Russell have to die huh, I mean they couldve killed off Leigh(sorry but its true) and when Baldwin gets blown threw the window and hits the water below is simply a great action scene. Ron Howard directs another masterpiece. and when in a fire, dont open the door fast, or boommm!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This movie is fiery excellent., Nov. 8 2003
This is my second favorite movie behind T2 Judgement Day from 1991.
The movie is the story of a firefighting department with two firefighting brothers who have throughout their lives been at odds with each otehr. However, their distant relations have been put to the test when a string of fires caused by arson attacks pop up all over the ghettos of Chicago.
Even worse is that the department is being deprived of funds by a sleazy bureucratic alderman and it's an unplesant and dangerous twist of turns as they find out whose responsible for the string of arson induced fires.
William Baldwin and Kurt Russell are absolutley fabulous playing the often clashing McCaffrey bothers as they fight numerous fires and face off against a 'beast' that burns along the walls and ceilings of the rooms.
The fiery special effects are just magnificent and makes this movie even better.
This is a truly magnificant movie. The DVD offers nothing new other than excellent improvement in quality over the VHS. By far one of the best movies of 1991.

ARRAY(0x9fc2fb4c)

Backdraft (2-disc Anniversary Edition) (Bilingual)
CDN$ 24.88