5.0 out of 5 stars great
one of my favorite album of all time, listening to it at least once a week in mycar love it
Published 1 month ago by Jean-René Coulombe

3.0 out of 5 stars This album is good for only when you're in the mood.
Published on June 30 2007 by Jenny J.J.I.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars great, March 16 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Basics, Sept. 4 2012
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
love this cd,she has such a great voice,of course Candyman is my favorite song on the disc.would recommend this cd for
purchasing.

3.0 out of 5 stars This album is good for only when you're in the mood., June 30 2007
Jenny J.J.I. "A New Yorker" (That Lives in Carolinas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
After listening to this on and off I realizes that this album has it's moments but it won't be on heavy rotation on my personal player. This album has been promoted as a throw-back-retro of the blues, jazz, and soul cultivated during the past five decades unfortunately it really doesn't measures up to the task. Imitation this time is less than flattering to the R&B artists she holds in such high esteem.

Admittedly she has a great and mature voice as evidenced by her collaboration with previous artist's; this album, however, is characterized by self-indulgent songs that certainly capture the power of Aguilera's life and times, but these songs are not an affirmation of the great music exemplified by the blues, jazz, and soul from previous generations. Inspired by her recent marriage (which is great) but at the same time revisit certain subjects from "Stripped" such as the abuse her and her mother suffered at the hands of her father which is unfortunate but starts to get a bit redundant at times.

The music overall is ambitious, yet obvious in that fact that she is trying way too hard to garner critical acclaim for the whole retro aspect. There are some good tracks in this album but too many filler's at the same time. The power again is her voice, but sometimes it is a little too loud and over done, to the point of being harsh. The tracks that stood out to me though are "Oh Mother", "Without You," and "Hurt"- she sings more softly and sound beautiful in these tracks. I will also add "Ain't No Other Man," "Candy Man," and "Mercy On Me" because she sounds very natural on these songs.

I really hate having to be negative on this album but she left me no choice. I think next time don't strain yourself to create an "out-of this-world" album Christina just make one simply effortless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, Sept. 3 2006
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
I just had to go and check out Christina's latest CD (even though usually i'm the kinda guy who downloads only the released singles and burns them to a CD...). I think this CD deserves at leat ONE award for its unique sound and her singing is impeccable as usual. It sets itself apart from anything else you'll hear on the radio. Plus I didn't even know I like soul until now!

Some of the songs seem kind of rushed...and the general tone of the CD is a mix of hope, cheer and jazz. I think Christina's next CD should be full of dance/techno like Madonna's "Confessions on a Dancefloor." Worth the buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Of The Bests, Aug. 14 2006
PHOXSOLO "PHOXSOLO" (Montreal, QC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
Other singers, they release one album in one or two years, and most of them sound the same. Christina took four years for this album, this is how a good album should be made. I don't even need to menton how wonderful her voice is and how good her singing skill is. This definitely is the best album of the year, at least to me, it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to good music..., Aug. 14 2006
R. Comacho "Music Fan" (Brampton, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
I don't wanna write a long review cause people just wont read it, but I have to say, if you weren't a fan of Christina before (like myself), this is the best place to start. It is a musical and artistic journey from beginning to end.

This is without a doubt my favourite CD that came out this year because it actually dares to do something different and that is a step in music worth acknowledging. I manage a record store here in Canada, it is my job to listen to music, so take my word for it, if you want truly what is a CD worth every penny, this is it. I had intentions of listing stand out tracks on this CD but that truly is pointless because every singly song is worth listening to. The only song I don't really find much appealing is 'The Right Man', but I can understand why this song will be amazing to some, it's the only hit or miss track on the album.

Aguilera shows that she is not only the voice of her generation, but proves that she is actually someone we will indeed be calling an icon years from now. This throwback to 20's, 30's and 40's music will start a following and hopefully a revolution in the industry. Who would have though Christina Aguilera (back in her Genie in a Bottle days) was truly this musically grounded. This is a step in the right direction for Christina.

As a fan of music, I want to take this opportunity to turn the tables on Christina and thank her for acknowledging the groundbreakers, innovators and trailblazers of the past. This CD would make the musicians Christina is paying tribute to very proud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year!, Aug. 5 2006
Miss A (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
I've recently had the chance to hear the album before it's release and all I can say is 'WOW'! If y'all thought Stripped was Amazing, B2B is 10x Better! While Stripped was a little all around the place, Christina has found a stable direction with this album. Her work with DJ Premier is pure FIRE while her work with Linda Perry is just Amazing.

Time for a track by track run down...

Disk 1

1.Intro - Best intro I've heard in a while, way better than Stripped. (10/10)

2.Makes me wanna pray - Basically made me wanna get down and pray! (9/10)

3.Back in the Day - a DJ Premier cut, one of the hottest r&b/hip hop tracks on the album. Should def. be a single! LOVE IT! (10/10)

4.Ain't no other man - 1st single, y'all know it...y'all hear it... (7/10)

5.Understand - Nice old skool r&b song. (8/10)

6.Slow Down Baby - Great uptempo track. (8/10)

7.Oh Mother - Love the beat, sad but a real great and emotional song, pretty much a follow-up to 'I'm Okay' from Stripped. (8/10)

8.F.U.S.S. - Short interlude with a Wicked beat. Dedicated to a certain producer that did her wrong... (9/10)

9.On our way - Great song, the ending is nice, love her vocals. (8/10)

10.Without you - The 'Lovin' me 4 me' track of the album, she sings in her smoothe, soft voice. Love it! (9/10)

11.Still Dirrty - Crazy Beat! (by DJ Premier) LOVE the song, one of my favs. (10/10)

12.Here to Stay - Great uptempo track that you can dance to. Has a real catchy rhythm to it! (9/10)

13.Thank You - DJ Premier joint as well, cuts of 'Genie in a Bottle' in the beginning, Love what he did! Includes bits and pieces of fans messages. Great way to end Disk 1. (9/10)

Disk 2.

1.Enter the circus - Freaky Intro. (6/10)

2.Welcome - Continues with the circus theme... Great vocals on the track. (7/10)

3.Candyman - Supposed 2nd single... Nice uptempo song. (7/10)

4.Nasty Naughty Boy - She sings 'dirrty'/'naughty'/'nasty'/'sexy' things on this track, Love It! (10/10)

5.I got Trouble - Not my cup of tea... her most 'throwback' track... it's good but gets boring after awhile. (5/10)

6.Hurt - AMAZING ballad! Single Material! (10/10)

7.Mercy on Me - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this song! The 'Walk Away' track of this album! AMAZING VOCALS! IMO, The BEST song of Disk 2! Should be a single! (10/10)

8.Save me from myself - Dedicated to her husband, she sings in a vulnerable tone, really touching. (7/10)

9.The Right Man - Her 'wedding' song. I really like the lyrics. Full Choir backing her up. Great way to finish the whole Album! (8/10)

Christina has definitely grown and it shows with this record. The most surprising thing is the lack of her oh-so-famous 'oversinging'. She has proven she is the BEST singer of this generation and is ready to focus solely on showcasing her amazing artistic growth & abilities. Album of the year here we come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Good! My favourite CD so far!, Sept. 4 2006
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
I think "Back To Basics" is the best Christina Aguilera CD so far. People may disagree and choose "Stripped" as the best, but I find I like this CD more and more every time I listen to it. I tended to skip a few tracks on "Stripped" but I don't skip any on this CD. The new sound and style is really great. I also like the little bonus video on CD 2. It's not much, but it's nice.

I love every song but my absolute favourite songs are Makes Me Wanna Pray, Ain't No Other Man, Still Dirrty, I Got Trouble, Hurt, and Save Me From Myself. It's really hard to pick favourites since all of the tracks are so good. Back to Basics is definitely a must-have album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleaning up to go Old School, Sept. 15 2006
Amanda Richards (Georgetown, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
For her third full length album, the new blonde bombshell cleans up her "dirrty" act with a glowing tribute to jazz, blues and soul, on an impressive double CD that shows off her vocal range to the max.

With writing credits on every song, and also in the role of executive producer, Aguilera proves that her talent has grown substantially since the Mickey Mouse Club days with Justin, Britney and JC, and proves that she is a clear winner of the battle of the blonde female singers. Britney, Jessica, and (ahem) Paris will now have to do some serious catching up.

She's already conquered the charts with the album and first single "Ain't No Other Man", but look out for lots more from this album. Next single "Hurt" will soon be released, and was performed at the VMA awards. Also look out for "Candyman" to get you in the mood, and "Still Dirrty" to remind you that she's not only got sugar but lots of spice too. There are a couple of religious themed tracks in "Mercy On Me", a soulful ballad, and "Makes Me Wanna Pray", a more upbeat offering featuring Steve Winwood.

Other hot tracks in no particular order are the smoky, sultry "Nasty Naughty Boy"; the emotional and powerful "The Right Man" which would be an ideal track to play at weddings; "Understand"; "Slow Down Baby" (listen for the horns in the background), and the dramatic "Welcome", but there are even more depending on your musical taste.

Two CDs, two different styles, one hot album.

Amanda Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Albums Of The Year, Aug. 13 2006
antonio (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
Christina Aguilera proves her longevity and musical creativity in the most anticipated album of the year. A lengthy 2-disk album, Back To Basics is a fusion of modern beats along with the vibe of old school rhythm.

On the first disk, the lead off single, "Ain't No Other Man" proves to be one of the standouts in a list of standouts. This disk is filled with potential singles. R&B influenced "Understand" and "Slow Down Baby" have all the qualities for radio friendly hits. "Still Dirrty" is merely a continuation of the infamous "Dirrty" from Aguilera's previous album, "Stripped". This smoothe club track is a far cry from the rough quality "Dirrty" possessed. Disk 1 finishes off with a track dedicated to her fans with cuts from "Genie In A Bottle" along with messages from fans all over the world, a very well produced track by DJ Premiere.

The second disk is simply a masterpiece. A perfectly constructed album in itself, chief produced by Linda Perry, also the producer of Aguilera's biggest hit from "Stripped", "Beautiful". The album opens with an enticing circus theme with "Enter The Circus" and "Welcome". The burlesque showpiece "Nasty Naughty Boy" and vintage track "I Got Trouble" continues the 20's and 30's feel for the album. The playful "Candy Man" and ballad "Hurt" are front-runners for singles off this album. Aguilera's vocal strengths are showcased on the powerful "Mercy On Me" and the subtle "Save Me From Myself", both contrasting in vocal style, but are both easily the best vocals on the album in their own ways.

Christina Aguilera has shown a lot of depth and growth since her "Genie" and "Dirrty" days . With the exception of the weakest points from the album, "F.U.S.S." and "Without You" (both of which could have easily been left off the album), "Back To Basics" is near perfection in every way. This delectible album is a contender to sweep the Grammies and a front-runner for Album Of The Year. This album was worth the wait and most definitley worth your money. Pick up a copy today because this collection of songs is a must have. Christina Aguilera has outdone herself with "Back To Basics", now the only problem is... How is she going to top this off? a.a.

Best Tracks: Slow Down Baby, Still Dirrty, Understand, Hurt, Save Me From Myself, Candyman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb7ba5240)

Back To Basics
Back To Basics by Christina Aguilera (Audio CD - 2006)