5.0 out of 5 stars Cleaning up to go Old School
For her third full length album, the new blonde bombshell cleans up her "dirrty" act with a glowing tribute to jazz, blues and soul, on an impressive double CD that shows off her vocal range to the max.

Published on Sept. 15 2006 by Amanda Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Christina goes back to basics with a brand new sound.
Published on Aug. 21 2006 by disconnectthedots

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleaning up to go Old School, Sept. 15 2006
Amanda Richards (Georgetown, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)

With writing credits on every song, and also in the role of executive producer, Aguilera proves that her talent has grown substantially since the Mickey Mouse Club days with Justin, Britney and JC, and proves that she is a clear winner of the battle of the blonde female singers. Britney, Jessica, and (ahem) Paris will now have to do some serious catching up.

She's already conquered the charts with the album and first single "Ain't No Other Man", but look out for lots more from this album. Next single "Hurt" will soon be released, and was performed at the VMA awards. Also look out for "Candyman" to get you in the mood, and "Still Dirrty" to remind you that she's not only got sugar but lots of spice too. There are a couple of religious themed tracks in "Mercy On Me", a soulful ballad, and "Makes Me Wanna Pray", a more upbeat offering featuring Steve Winwood.

Other hot tracks in no particular order are the smoky, sultry "Nasty Naughty Boy"; the emotional and powerful "The Right Man" which would be an ideal track to play at weddings; "Understand"; "Slow Down Baby" (listen for the horns in the background), and the dramatic "Welcome", but there are even more depending on your musical taste.

Two CDs, two different styles, one hot album.

Amanda Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Good! My favourite CD so far!, Sept. 4 2006
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
I think "Back To Basics" is the best Christina Aguilera CD so far. People may disagree and choose "Stripped" as the best, but I find I like this CD more and more every time I listen to it. I tended to skip a few tracks on "Stripped" but I don't skip any on this CD. The new sound and style is really great. I also like the little bonus video on CD 2. It's not much, but it's nice.

I love every song but my absolute favourite songs are Makes Me Wanna Pray, Ain't No Other Man, Still Dirrty, I Got Trouble, Hurt, and Save Me From Myself. It's really hard to pick favourites since all of the tracks are so good. Back to Basics is definitely a must-have album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year!, Aug. 5 2006
Miss A (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
I've recently had the chance to hear the album before it's release and all I can say is 'WOW'! If y'all thought Stripped was Amazing, B2B is 10x Better! While Stripped was a little all around the place, Christina has found a stable direction with this album. Her work with DJ Premier is pure FIRE while her work with Linda Perry is just Amazing.

Time for a track by track run down...

Disk 1

1.Intro - Best intro I've heard in a while, way better than Stripped. (10/10)

2.Makes me wanna pray - Basically made me wanna get down and pray! (9/10)

3.Back in the Day - a DJ Premier cut, one of the hottest r&b/hip hop tracks on the album. Should def. be a single! LOVE IT! (10/10)

4.Ain't no other man - 1st single, y'all know it...y'all hear it... (7/10)

5.Understand - Nice old skool r&b song. (8/10)

6.Slow Down Baby - Great uptempo track. (8/10)

7.Oh Mother - Love the beat, sad but a real great and emotional song, pretty much a follow-up to 'I'm Okay' from Stripped. (8/10)

8.F.U.S.S. - Short interlude with a Wicked beat. Dedicated to a certain producer that did her wrong... (9/10)

9.On our way - Great song, the ending is nice, love her vocals. (8/10)

10.Without you - The 'Lovin' me 4 me' track of the album, she sings in her smoothe, soft voice. Love it! (9/10)

11.Still Dirrty - Crazy Beat! (by DJ Premier) LOVE the song, one of my favs. (10/10)

12.Here to Stay - Great uptempo track that you can dance to. Has a real catchy rhythm to it! (9/10)

13.Thank You - DJ Premier joint as well, cuts of 'Genie in a Bottle' in the beginning, Love what he did! Includes bits and pieces of fans messages. Great way to end Disk 1. (9/10)

Disk 2.

1.Enter the circus - Freaky Intro. (6/10)

2.Welcome - Continues with the circus theme... Great vocals on the track. (7/10)

3.Candyman - Supposed 2nd single... Nice uptempo song. (7/10)

4.Nasty Naughty Boy - She sings 'dirrty'/'naughty'/'nasty'/'sexy' things on this track, Love It! (10/10)

5.I got Trouble - Not my cup of tea... her most 'throwback' track... it's good but gets boring after awhile. (5/10)

6.Hurt - AMAZING ballad! Single Material! (10/10)

7.Mercy on Me - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this song! The 'Walk Away' track of this album! AMAZING VOCALS! IMO, The BEST song of Disk 2! Should be a single! (10/10)

8.Save me from myself - Dedicated to her husband, she sings in a vulnerable tone, really touching. (7/10)

9.The Right Man - Her 'wedding' song. I really like the lyrics. Full Choir backing her up. Great way to finish the whole Album! (8/10)

Christina has definitely grown and it shows with this record. The most surprising thing is the lack of her oh-so-famous 'oversinging'. She has proven she is the BEST singer of this generation and is ready to focus solely on showcasing her amazing artistic growth & abilities. Album of the year here we come!

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Albums Of The Year, Aug. 13 2006
antonio (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
Christina Aguilera proves her longevity and musical creativity in the most anticipated album of the year. A lengthy 2-disk album, Back To Basics is a fusion of modern beats along with the vibe of old school rhythm.

On the first disk, the lead off single, "Ain't No Other Man" proves to be one of the standouts in a list of standouts. This disk is filled with potential singles. R&B influenced "Understand" and "Slow Down Baby" have all the qualities for radio friendly hits. "Still Dirrty" is merely a continuation of the infamous "Dirrty" from Aguilera's previous album, "Stripped". This smoothe club track is a far cry from the rough quality "Dirrty" possessed. Disk 1 finishes off with a track dedicated to her fans with cuts from "Genie In A Bottle" along with messages from fans all over the world, a very well produced track by DJ Premiere.

The second disk is simply a masterpiece. A perfectly constructed album in itself, chief produced by Linda Perry, also the producer of Aguilera's biggest hit from "Stripped", "Beautiful". The album opens with an enticing circus theme with "Enter The Circus" and "Welcome". The burlesque showpiece "Nasty Naughty Boy" and vintage track "I Got Trouble" continues the 20's and 30's feel for the album. The playful "Candy Man" and ballad "Hurt" are front-runners for singles off this album. Aguilera's vocal strengths are showcased on the powerful "Mercy On Me" and the subtle "Save Me From Myself", both contrasting in vocal style, but are both easily the best vocals on the album in their own ways.

Christina Aguilera has shown a lot of depth and growth since her "Genie" and "Dirrty" days . With the exception of the weakest points from the album, "F.U.S.S." and "Without You" (both of which could have easily been left off the album), "Back To Basics" is near perfection in every way. This delectible album is a contender to sweep the Grammies and a front-runner for Album Of The Year. This album was worth the wait and most definitley worth your money. Pick up a copy today because this collection of songs is a must have. Christina Aguilera has outdone herself with "Back To Basics", now the only problem is... How is she going to top this off? a.a.

Best Tracks: Slow Down Baby, Still Dirrty, Understand, Hurt, Save Me From Myself, Candyman

3.0 out of 5 stars Christina goes back to basics with a brand new sound., Aug. 21 2006
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
Four years of hard work after the amazing CD `Stripped' has produced `Back to Basics'. An R&B album with vintage soul, burlesque, jazz, blues and swing beats. Despite her pop princess label of many years, with `stripped' and now `Back to Basics', Christina shows a more mature and sexy version of herself. Her vocal gymnastics and unique voice show her obvious superiority to the other Mouseketeers. Christina's image has changed yet again and she's gone from trashy to classy. Her sexuality is still very prominent but in a much classier package.

Being a big fan of `stripped' I couldn't wait for her next CD. However it's very different from stripped and it's has its fair share of misses. The hits however are big ones so it's a pretty good album overall.

Track review

DISC ONE

1) Intro (Back to Basics): Similar concept to the intro of `stripped' but not as sultry and powerful. However this intro has a really nice beat and the song is much better than the `stripped' intro. ~8/10~

2) Makes Me Wanna Pray: Makes me wanna change the song. Don't like it very much. Too gospel, doesn't sound very good. ~5/10~

3) Back In The Day: Really good. Christina commemorates those who came before her with this nice sounding song. Very modern sound though, unlike the rest of the album ~7/10~

4) Ain't No Other Man: First single from `Back to Basics'. We've all heard it and I think it is the best choice for the first single. It's the most commercially favourable song from the album and it gives the public a taste of the retro beat of the album. It's the most pop sounding track from the album. A little screamy but otherwise really good. ~9/10~

5) Understand: Very good. Love the chorus, its very unique. Reminds me of `Impossible' a little bit, from `stripped'. ~8/10~

6) Slow Down Baby: Pretty good. Powerful vocals, and the song is good. Catchy chorus and a great girl power song. ~7/10~

7) Oh Mother: It's alright. Somewhat boring as these ballads of Christina's start to blend together and aren't very distinguishable after a while. Another one about Christina's abused background. Like `I'm Okay' but not as powerful. ~6/10~

8) F.U.S.S (Interlude): Stands for F*** U Scott Storch. He was one of the producers on `stripped' and co-wrote many of the songs. Bad song and I think it's quite catty and unprofessional to take a shot at someone through a song. It interrupts the very nice flow of the album to say `oh f*** you scott btw'. Since he co wrote some of the best songs on stripped I think he deserves a bit more respect. Disappointing. ~1/10~

9) On Our Way: Pretty good. Nice beat, lyrics, and vocals. Quite catchy and one of the stronger tracks. ~8/10~

10) Without You: Boring, not too great. Kind of like `Loving me 4 me' from `stripped' but nowhere near as good. ~5/10~

11) Still Dirrty: Awesome beat. Love the horn blasts. Continuation of Dirrrty from stripped. The way Christina sings it is great too. Lyrics suck but fantastic song anyway. ~9/10~

12) Here To Stay: Decent. Nice beat and lyrics. Not too original but it's still very good! ~8/10~

13) Thank You (Dedications To Fans...): Every artist should do this. It's good to hear that not every artist has forgotten that they would be nothing without their fans, no matter how talented they are. Love how the fans comments are in the song. It's very touching. Perfect way to end the first disc. ~8/10~

DISC TWO

1) Enter The Circus: Very creepy intro. Good beat but with the evil laughing it's quite freaky. Also the circus theme doesn't match the rest of the CD. Not great in my opinion. ~5/10~

2) Welcome: Continuation of `Enter The Circus'. Fantastic Vocals. Very all over the place so it's definitely a weaker track. It goes from big screaming crescendos to light piano to the circus theme again. ~6/10~

3) Candyman: Going to be the second single from `Back to Basics'. Great swing song, makes you want to get up and jitterbug. One of the best songs from the album with some of the riskiest lyrics. ~9/10~

4) Nasty Naughty Boy: Burlesque beat to the core. Sultry horns and slow symbols. Very risqué lyrics don't let any kids hear this one. Very unique and Christina's vocals are very strong on this track. ~7/10~

5) I Got Trouble: In my opinion, best track on the CD. Very 1920's and the use of a clothed microphone gives the vocals a great muffled sound. ~10/10~

6) Hurt: Typical ballad. Something says to me this song would have fit Kelly Clarkson's voice much better. The song itself is really good but I think Christina over sings it. It's the `Walk Away' of `Back to Basics' ~6/10~

7) Mercy On Me: Very boring. The chorus doesn't start until almost two minutes in. It isn't one of my favourites on the album. ~4/10~

8) Save Me From Myself: Boring but Christina's haunting and vulnerable vocals are beautiful. ~6/10~

9) The Right Man: Song about Christina's wedding. Very powerful lyrics but the song itself I find boring. Lot's of over singing too. ~4/10~

I guess I was expecting something similar to `stripped' but I still recommend this album to anyone who likes Christina's work. She's a great artist!

My favourites:

Nasty Naughty Boy

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to good music..., Aug. 14 2006
R. Comacho "Music Fan" (Brampton, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
I don't wanna write a long review cause people just wont read it, but I have to say, if you weren't a fan of Christina before (like myself), this is the best place to start. It is a musical and artistic journey from beginning to end.

This is without a doubt my favourite CD that came out this year because it actually dares to do something different and that is a step in music worth acknowledging. I manage a record store here in Canada, it is my job to listen to music, so take my word for it, if you want truly what is a CD worth every penny, this is it. I had intentions of listing stand out tracks on this CD but that truly is pointless because every singly song is worth listening to. The only song I don't really find much appealing is 'The Right Man', but I can understand why this song will be amazing to some, it's the only hit or miss track on the album.

Aguilera shows that she is not only the voice of her generation, but proves that she is actually someone we will indeed be calling an icon years from now. This throwback to 20's, 30's and 40's music will start a following and hopefully a revolution in the industry. Who would have though Christina Aguilera (back in her Genie in a Bottle days) was truly this musically grounded. This is a step in the right direction for Christina.

As a fan of music, I want to take this opportunity to turn the tables on Christina and thank her for acknowledging the groundbreakers, innovators and trailblazers of the past. This CD would make the musicians Christina is paying tribute to very proud.

5.0 out of 5 stars That's how music should sound, Aug. 30 2006
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
''A very pleasant goodevening ladies and gentlemen

It is now time

The one and only, there never will be another

Christina Aguilera''

Simply amazin', her voice, melody, sound, beat..all in all is perfect. I had some doubts when I saw that she wanna make a kinda oldies record..but I knew that whatever she will do, I'll love it..and JE L'ADORE, really, truly as she is on her new album. It's not just oldies, it's hot, fresh and kinda new. We are back, back to our roots and ''That's how music should sound'' in my opinion. We lost something with times but now...it's time to be back to basics in our own way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, Sept. 3 2006
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
I just had to go and check out Christina's latest CD (even though usually i'm the kinda guy who downloads only the released singles and burns them to a CD...). I think this CD deserves at leat ONE award for its unique sound and her singing is impeccable as usual. It sets itself apart from anything else you'll hear on the radio. Plus I didn't even know I like soul until now!

Some of the songs seem kind of rushed...and the general tone of the CD is a mix of hope, cheer and jazz. I think Christina's next CD should be full of dance/techno like Madonna's "Confessions on a Dancefloor." Worth the buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAzing, Aug. 16 2006
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
I love this CD. I bought it today and I was not disappointed. Its been a long time since I bought a cd and liked EVERY song on the album. The most recent time that has happened was Green Day's "American Idiot." I am just so proud for her. You can tell she did her best and tried to reach way down inside her to get this masterpiece out. This one is gonna be big y'all. Like HUGE!!! I predict atleast 5 Grammys and tons of respect.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOT!! Souldfoul! Blues!! JUTS PLAIN AMAZING, Aug. 29 2006
Irene P. Continelli (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
I was not expecting this album to be so good! Love most of the songs!! I love Christina's new image it just works and so do the songs on the album! Im not even a fan of this music but its really good!! It just hits the soul!! Amazing recommended songs: Ain't No Other Man, Slow Down Baby, Makes Me Wanna Pray, F.U.S.S., Here To Stay, Back In The Day, Understand, Candyman & I Got Trouble!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Back To Basics
Back To Basics by Christina Aguilera (Audio CD - 2006)