5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite CD
Published on March 6 2004 by Mitch Weaver

3.0 out of 5 stars Possibly a more sobering assessment is needed
Not being a big fan of Journey (at least since my early teen years.. more on that later), I've been swayed ever so slightly by the passionate pleas of the Journey fans here and will begrudgingly give the boys a little more respect from now on.
Published on Jan. 1 2004 by deafeningwhisper

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite CD, March 6 2004
Mitch Weaver (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Rm) (Audio CD)
This CD is a must for any fan of Journey, or 80's music in general. I have been a huge fan of Journey for years, and this CD showcases the absolute best that Journey has to offer. If I had to pick my 5 favorite songs on the album, I would probably say "Don't Stop Believin","Faithfully", "Be Good to Yourself", "Ask the Lonely", and "Seperate Ways". However, that does not mean that I do not like all the songs either. I love every song, and this is probably the only CD I own that I do not have to skip tracks on. The tempo and rythm is different in each song, but they are all equally enjoyable. All the songs also sound like they did when they were originally released. There is no new or "remixed" versions made especially for the greatest hits CD.
Journey is a group that was way ahead of their time, and they managed to offer a variety of enjoyable music. Overall, Journey's
"Greatest Hits" album is my favorite CD of all time, and I still listen to it on a regular basis.
A solid 5 stars...

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent compilation, Jan. 14 2004
John Alapick (Harveys Lake, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Rm) (Audio CD)
Journey's Greatest Hits is an excellent hits compilation. Unlike many single disc greatest hits albums for artists who have had an abundance of hits, such as Bob Seger and Jackson Browne, this one hits most of the high points. There's a decent portion of their early hits here with the now classic rock staples "Wheel In The Sky", "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'", "Lights", and "Any Way You Want It." Their big '80s albums Escape and Frontiers are well represented here, featuring the now classics "Don't Stop Believin'", "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)", and two of the best power ballads ever recorded, "Faithfully" and "Open Arms." Other strong tracks here include "Be Good To Yourself", "Girl Can't Help It", "Who's Crying Now", and the great ballads "I'll Be Alright Without You" and "Send Her My Love." There are a few hits missing such as "Just The Same Way", "Still They Ride", and "After The Fall", but all told this a solid collection that every rock and pop music fan should own.

3.0 out of 5 stars Possibly a more sobering assessment is needed, Jan. 1 2004
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Rm) (Audio CD)
Yes, I can agree that these are talented musicians and they've created some solidly executed songs here. No more, no less. However, that's where my praise must end. 5 star ratings for this, or any Journey album for that matter?? Uhh.. no.
I'll liken a band such as Journey to a television program I've seen where a painter paints a picture within the confines of a half-hour show, instructing the viewer along the way as he demonstrates the techniques used to create the scenic painting. The finished product, usually a vase of flowers or some other pleasant scenic picture, is well executed and pleasing to look at.
Well crafted.. yes.
Great art?.. hardly.
Much like the picture created by this artistic craftsman, Journey doesn't make great art, but they do make pleasant songs that are easy to enjoy, requiring very little effort by the listener. There's very little nuance, complexity of emotion, lyrical or musical originality on display here.. it all goes down pretty easy. The best art should, at least to some degree, mirror the complexities and ambivalences of life. Journey is incapable of doing that, and as a result, will never get much respect from critics.
While I'll certainly agree that not every song or artist should be aiming for the high heavens of artistic legitimacy, one must at least be capable of making such distinctions. By the level of enthusiastic reviews here, it's evident that most are not.
Many reviewers here have found meaning and are genuinely moved by this album, and that's what's great about the power of music in general, no matter what other people may think. Detractors may find the music of Journey too simplistic or unsatisfying in some other way, and find much greater pleasure elsewhere. Journey fans may not be ready to or even capable of recognizing true artistic greatness, and are perfectly contented with what a band like Journey can provide them, never caring enough to dig deeper.
When I was in 13 or 14, I bought the Infinity record when it first came out, proud of being in on the ground floor of what I thought was a great band before anybody else knew about them. As the years went by, I explored a lot more, challenging myself to listen to other rock artists that weren't as easily digestible as Journey. I found much greater satisfaction and more meaning elsewhere than I found with Journey and bands of their type. Now, I still retain some nostalgic appreciation for the Styx & REO Speedwagons & Journeys of this world as they provided the soundtrack for my teen years, but understand how much more Rock music is capable of.
Ok, now that I've gotten that off my chest, go ahead rate my review as unhelpful as I'm sure most of you will. ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Send Journey my love...faithfully!, Dec 29 2003
S. Sarhan "matured reviewer" (Dearborn, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Rm) (Audio CD)
Nostalgic. Classic. Guilty pleasure. All these words cross your mind when you think of Journey. All are true. Journey still remains a name in rock history that glows with their outstanding songs and signature sound. Steve Perry remains one of the most convincingly powerful lead vocalists. This album reminds us of, and celebrates, some of their best songs. That pure 80's sound rings sweetly in your ears when you listen to Only The Young, a song that was featured in the Matthew Modine film Vision Quest. If you've seen VH1's Behind The Music edition on Journey, then you would know that this song was dedicated to one of their young fans who heard this song before it was released and just a short while before he died of a terminal disease. The band cried during the show remembering that event, and listening to this song today will probably do the same with you.
The remaining tracks include highlights Separate Ways (Worlds Apart), Who's Crying Now, Open Arms, Lights, and the irresistable on-the-road hit Faithfully, which features the brilliant piano intro by Johnathan Cain, and the outstanding guitar solo by Neil Schon. Send Her My Love is one of their finest love ballads and thankfully is featured on this compilation.
Soft rock radio stations play the heck out of these songs, but if you want them all on one CD, don't hesitate in getting this album!
Retake the Journey now!
Recommended
A-

3.0 out of 5 stars catchy but tiresome., Dec 21 2003
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Rm) (Audio CD)
Perhaps why Journey got so critically bashed is because of their mainstream sound. they just didnt stand out save for a few very good songs. Those songs, are the ones that make this worth a buy.
Some songs I really like are missing, like Stone in love, and that could have easily substituted the boring (IMO) Send her my love. The album opens with a really nice yet realtively unmentioned song called Only the young. I enjoyed that one. Next up was the very catchy and probably big hit, Dont stop believing. This is the song that introduced me to Journey, and Im probably not the only one. Wheel in the sky is labeled as art rock ,and it is definitely beautiful art. Faithfully follows, another true classic ballad. More really good hits like any way you want it, Whos crying now, Separate ways, Lights, Lovin touching squeezin, and open arms round out the Cd for me. The other songs simply dont stand out enough to be remembered.
Still, thats a good percentage of great music here, so I give htis 3 stars and recommend at least giving it a listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good compilation, Sept. 4 2003
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Rm) (Audio CD)
Journey is one of the greatest classic power rock bands to have ever existed, but in recent years they have taken a huge hit in quality due to a change in lead vocalists. This is a compilation of the band's big hits featuring original vocalist Steve Perry (the guy we all know and love.) Read on for my review of Journey's Greatest Hits.
PROS:
-If you're the casual fan of Journey that just wants all the big radio hits on something, you've come to the right place! Wheel In The Sky, Who's Crying Now, Faithfully, Open Arms, Separate Ways (Worlds Apart), Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin', Lights, and all the rest are here for your listening pleasure.
-The compilation doesn't just rely on the big hits, there are a number of underrated masterpieces as well.
CONS:
-The only complaint I have about this compilation is one you will often hear me make about hits compilations - It doesn't fill the eighty minutes that can fit on a CD. Any hits compilation costing $9.99 or more should fill the entire time.
OVERALL:
If you're a casual fan of Journey, and you don't want to buy all of their albums, this is an excellent alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be good to yourself and get this!, April 16 2003
Daniel J. Hamlow (Narita, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Rm) (Audio CD)
One of the biggest rock groups synonymous with the late 1970's and mid-1980's was Journey, led by Steve Perry and Neal Schon. The band broke up following Steve Perry's bout with cancer and Neal Schon forming Bad English. But they did leave behind songs that were mostly yearning love songs that pepper many a classic rock station today. As they played a significant part in my musical education in the 1980's, they do merit a gander. Most of the songs here are instant classics. Key: [original studio album]
The rocker "Only The Young" sets the standard for Steve Perry's soaring vocals, a wistful chorus, a strong backbeat of drums, and a crash of guitars. This song, about a hopeful generation at a new dawn, is romantically optimistic: "Only the young can say/They're free to fly away/Sharing the same desires/Burnin' like wildfire."
"Don't Stop Believing" [Escape] is a mid-paced rocker with a strong keyboard chords punctuating the rhythm. There's a sad but true moral here: "Some will win, some will lose/Some were born to sing the blues/Oh, the movie never ends/It goes on and on and on and on." However, there is a note of hope in the coda: "Don't stop believin'/Hold on to the feelin'."
"Wheel In The Sky" [Infinity] may be a followup to the male protagonist of the previous song who took that midnight train and has found life too hard going enough to want to go back home.
"Faithfully," [Frontiers] about a rocker on the road and vows to remain faithful to the dear one he has left behind because "the road ain't no place to start a family." Perry's vocal reaches the heights in the finale. The slow ballad "Lights" and heartfelt "Send Her My Love" [Frontiers] also have the same theme.
"I'll Be Alright Without You," [Raised On Radio], avers that "love's an empty face...oh I've got to replace."
The rowdy party rocker "Any Way You Want It," [Departure] the song Rodney Dangerfield and crew jams to on the green in Caddyshack is enough to chase out any blue funk.
The rocking "Ask The Lonely" tells those who've gotten the wrong end of the love stick and despairing to do the title act. The operatic backing vocals from the band really enhance the song.
I remember trying to find the yearning "One Love" on Journey's albums before I was put wise-it was called "Who's Crying Now." [Escape] One of my favourites.
The piercing opening synthesizers and chugging guitars make "Separate Ways" [Frontiers] one of the hardest songs they've ever done. Another big favourite. Memorable chorus: "Someday love will find you/Break those chains that bind you/One night will remind you/How we touched/And went our separate ways"
"Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'"[Evolution] incorporates a bluesy sound. Then comes a heartmelting power ballad and another favourite-"Open Arms" [Escape] about a reunited love after a long separation. Mariah Carey covers this on her Daydream album, BTW.
"The Girl Can't Help It"-no, not the Little Richard song or movie-is another Raised On Radio hit. The chorus sets the basic idea: "The girl can't help it, she needs more/He hasn't found what he's lookin' for/They're still standing in the rain/He can't help it, and she's just that way." Its fellow single, "Be Good To Yourself" rivals "Any Way You Want It" in sheer rockability. Which brings me to this-be good to yourself and get this collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good hits collection, Dec 5 2002
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Rm) (Audio CD)
Journey is of my favorite '80s artists (or of anytime), I've been hearing these songs literally my whole life (they were at their peak around the time I was born-1981) and still never tire of them. This covers all 6 of their albums. "Escape" "Frontiers" and the more poppy "Raised on Radio" are highlighted, with 3 songs from each. "Evolution" and "Departure" I didn't like so much, so I'm glad they took only 1 song from each. The debut "Infinity" also has a few good early hits.
Journey basically had 4 styles, all here. Light Pop-rock (the emotional "Who's Crying Now" just good singalong pop of "Girl Can't Help It" the kinda relaxing "I'll Be Alright Without You"); slightly harder Pop-rock (the positive "Be Good to Yourself" the awesome Vision Quest soundtrack hit "Only the Young" "Lights" and, what might be THE best song they ever did, the anthemic rocker "Don't Stop Believin"); the less commercial but still great Hard rock hits ("Anyway You Want It" the art-rock of "Wheel In the Sky" the keyboard heavy pounder "Separate Ways"); oh, and who could forget those amazing power ballads (the wistful "Send Her My Love" the melodic "Faithfully" and the touching "Open Arms").
There's also 2 soundtrack songs here. The afforementioned "Only the Young" and the mid-tempo "Ask the Lonely" from 'Two Of A Kind'. The only thing I might fault is that it could've included a couple more Hard rock songs, like "Stone In Love" or the title track from "Escape"; "Chain Reaction" off "Frontiers"; one of my few early favorites "Anytime". Even a few regular pop hits were left off, like "Suzanne" from "Raised on Radio".
Some people consider them to be wimpy Soft-rockers, which I hate, partly because it's not true. While their soft side tended to get more attention, they rocked as hard as Loverboy, John Cougar-camp, and many others of that era, which would be apparent if you listened to one of their full albums. But even the ballads had a rock sound, they were touching, but not sappy and annoying (i.e. Michael Bolton).
All in all, a nearly perfect set from a band that's not as cheesy as it may seem. Even though I like newer rock, Pop-punk and Top 40, I can still listen to this without shame.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Overview, Nov. 13 2002
Joe Lee (Brandon, MS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Rm) (Audio CD)
Critics bashed them (and still do), but Journey was a force to be reckoned with during the Steve Perry era. Their classic ballad sound is still a big part of soft rock radio today, with all-time favorites like "Open Arms," "Who's Crying Now" and "Faithfully." The band could rock, too--Perry sounded great juxtaposed against Neil Schon's fiery riffs, although Johnathan Cain's signature piano work clinched it for many fans of the band. The hit "Only The Young" from an obscure film called "Vision Quest" was new at the time, and it's a pounding rocker in the vein of "Wheel In The Sky," which is one of their best songs. High points include "Lights" from the early days and "Girl Can't Help It" from the "Raised on Radio" LP, although if you're a fan of the band, there's nothing here you won't enjoy. This collection was released in 1988 or so, so "When You Love A Woman" won't be found here. Definitely recommended for casual Journey fans, although the studio LP's "Frontiers," "Infinity," "Escape," "Departure" and "Evolution" are all recommended as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Testament to Arguably the Best Arena Rock Band, Sept. 28 2002
Troy Hartle (Bellefonte, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Rm) (Audio CD)
You read the title correctly- Boston may have had arena rock's definitive album with their eponymous debut, and they, Foreigner, and Styx may have scored a number one hit, but Journey can be considered to be arena rock's best band. It was not because Journey has been a huge concert attraction to pop and rock fans alike- it is because Journey had remained consistent songwriters throughout their prime era of 1978-1987, churning out hits with each of their six studio albums during this time. And GREATEST HITS, which assembles fifteen of their biggest tunes from that era, is an excellent proof of that fact to all but the group's hardcore fans.
Some may complain that the sequencing of the songs is not in chronological order, but that is actually this collection's strength- instead of analyzing their evolution in this era from cult favorites to soft rockers, it traces them as an even more consistent band that never failed to deliver the goods they were known to contain. That does not mean this collection is perfect, as it is missing minor top 40 hits in the form of "Walks Like a Lady"; "After the Fall"; and "Suzanne", as well as personal favorites like "Anytime"; "Escape"; "Where Were You"; etc., etc. But none of these songs have made their place among Journey's major statements, so to many casual fans, they will not be that much of a loss. The songs that are among the group's greatest moments, however, are all on GREATEST HITS; they include "Wheel in the Sky"; "Lights"; "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'"; "Any Way You Want It"; "Don't Stop Believin'"; "Who's Crying Now"; "Open Arms"; "Faithfully"; and "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)." Only the placement of "Ask the Lonely" here could be argued, since it was not a big hit, but it, along with the Top Ten "Only the Young," makes a case for its placement on this collection, for both songs demonstrate that the group's power extended to movie soundtracks as well.
People who are serious Journey fans may be more satisfied with buying either the three-disc TIME 3, which examines the group's prime along with their beginnings as jazz rockers, or the double disc THE ESSENTIAL JOURNEY, which overviews the group's prime as well as their brief mid-90s revival. (The better collection that reviews Journey's hitmaking heyday? I can't tell you that; it all depends upon your needs.) But for many casual fans, this GREATEST HITS retrospective will suit their needs very well.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits by Journey (Audio CD - 2006)