4.0 out of 5 stars ugly compelling film
I have watched it several times, catch it on the dish. Very interesting movie, yet....

Published on Aug. 23 2007 by Leeanne Grant

3.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Video Game Adaptation
Silent Hill- 8/10
Blu Ray- 6/10

Published on June 30 2011 by MCaldwell

4.0 out of 5 stars ugly compelling film, Aug. 23 2007
Leeanne Grant "Leeanne 'Tink" (not New Orleans at the moment) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Hill (Widescreen) (DVD)

I don't play video games so had no idea it was based on that before I watched, so my impressions are on the movie alone. Well, acted, premise that is very complicated. A woman adopts a daughter. Later, the child is given to running away while sleepwalking. Becoming concerned when nothing helps, she is determined to unriddle what is haunting her daughter. So she journey's to Silent Hill to find the answers.

A female cop stops her. She's slightly too gung ho about people abusing kids, so jumps to the error that Rose is stealing her daughter, and chases them. They both crash. Rose awakens on the edge of Silent Hill, a bizarre town that is in perpetual winterscape (ash really) from fires burning underground. Cop chases her, she chases daughter. Slowly you see there is more wrong with this town and underground fires.

Highly imaginative, repugnant, yet, strangely compelling. Maybe someday I will figure out if I like it or not.

Not recommended for the weak stomach. It's was rough at time for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome movie, Jan. 18 2013
This review is from: Silent Hill [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Every time I watch this movie I am just as freaked out as the last time I saw it! The music, ambience of the town, some of the monsters, and of course, Pyramid Head. These images will stay with me forever!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Video Game Adaptation, June 30 2011
Silent Hill- 8/10
Blu Ray- 6/10

This review is for the blu ray only. I ordered Silent Hill on Amazon.ca because of the version advertised. It's the US based Blu Ray which is more pleasing to the eye. I seem to be in the minority on that issue but I digress. While I would have preferred the US blu ray, the video/audio of the Canadian blu ray appears to be identical. The picture quality is absolutely fantastic but not reference quality. The audio is strong but again, not exactly reference. My advice, keep your DVD version for the extras (since there are none here) but buy this for the upgrade. While I'm not happy about the false advertising, at least it appears to be the same disc.
Video 4/5, audio 4/5, Extras 0/5.
I give this blu ray a generous 6/10 because of the great audio/video presentation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Aug. 22 2006
Helleonore (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Hill (Widescreen) (DVD)
Fan of the games speaking here, and the movie didn't disappointed me at all! What a piece of art! Everybody that watched it in my entourage, fan of the games or not, loved the movie. A must!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really cool horror flick, Sept. 4 2006
This review is from: Silent Hill (Full Screen) (DVD)
If you have played the games or not, this is an awesome movie to see. Great mind blowing effects, an all over the place but comes together in the end story, and lots of gore! Get this one now.

5.0 out of 5 stars "It's So Eerie....", May 27 2011
This review is from: Silent Hill [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
That was the most common comment I got from people who had played the original Silent Hill video game. They all meant the atmosphere.
I am a huge Silent Hill fan, and I Loved this movie! So much so that after 3-4 viewings I claim it as my fav. horror movie. It's all in the atmosphere.
Radha Mitchell is a force to be reckoned with here as she searches for her daughter through things that are better left unmentioned.(Especially since it would give things away).
Sean Bean is a welcome addition but is cast as an outside the story actor for the most part. Laurie Holden is Cybil Bennett and hits the part right on.
The little girl they got is amazing although how they kept her little mind from snapping is a puzzle to me.
Ok, now the town. It is such a blend of quiet, slightly evil music and an empty town covered in constantly falling ash, mixed with utter degradation and depravity, you are stunned by what you see and what must be done to progress the story. What has come to pass is a coverup of a horror better left to the depths of demonic minds that will not let rest the atrocity whose vengence has come to a final head. As disgusting as it is, these "people" get what they deserve.
But....... no one ever really leaves Silent Hill..........LOL.
Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very well done, Nov. 29 2009
Neko (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Hill (Widescreen) (DVD)
This movie cannot be compared to the games. At all. If you've never even heard of the games, that's okay. This movie may be for you anyway. The big selling point to Silent Hill is not the plot or the acting, though they're both really good, but how visually appealing this movie is. The costumes, scenery, CGI, lighting and directing were so well done that I you can watch this movie over and over again without getting bored.

4.0 out of 5 stars I kept coming back at it, Jan. 26 2008
Rwav1 (Montreal, QC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Hill (Widescreen) (DVD)
I did not know Silent Hill was a computer game in the first place. I rented it as a horror movie. I almost stopped watching at the first attack on the mother - I thought the monsters were so ridiculous they made me laugh. And then, something happenned. The atmosphere got to me. The ashes that keep falling in silence, muffling all sound and colors stayed in my mind for months. I rented the movie twice to understand the plot but it didn't stop me to enjoy it the first time. Yes, some of it is very graphic (kind of gory). Color, design, and an incredible creativity when into scenes featuring the demon taking control over Silent Hill and turning everything into a nightmare. Photography is my hobby and when I started doing urban exploration, that movie set came back in my mind. I stand in those silent, real abandoned buildings, and I sometimes feel the walls could turn into a mad thing in a second. That is how I judge a good movie - its life and style stick with you many months after, and you feel the urge to dive back into to make sure it was... real.

2.0 out of 5 stars Best on: MUTE, Feb. 12 2013
R. Jones (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Hill (Widescreen) (DVD)
I will be the first to admit that Silent Hill is a gloriously haunting feast for the eyes in itself. But its charm and redemption all end there. The video game, turned horror-flick succeeds in its ability to immerse you in this horrific and terrifying world where all you can do is run, hide and pray for sunrise. So this is a great movie to have on with a lot of friends around, talking loudly and you can have your music cranked at the same time and it's actually a much better experience! Great for Halloween parties, especially! The characters suck, the performances suck and the writing REALLY sucks! Anybody ever seen The Room? (<----- Good luck selling this, by the way) Tom Wiseau - who looks like some kind of federally registered sex-offender - wrote, produced, directed and starred in this 2003 masterpiece of hot, salty garbage. I'm actually working on my BFA in Theatre, and if I ever feel like I'm having a bad-acting day, I just look at one of the many scenes available on youtube, and simply remember that I could be worse. At the same time I try to ignore the fact that on its IMDB page it says that Wiseau was given an estimated $6,000,000 for the project.

Silent Hill's acting efforts are perhaps a few cuts above that of The Room, but like all video game flicks it still falls short to have decent performances from its actors, but it's not entirely their fault. The script follows the very same video game flick formula of impossible people getting into (and sometimes out of) impossible situations with lots of people dying and buildings exploding or whatever their lack of plot calls for. I actually think that Radha Mitchell and Sean Bean are decent actors, but the work they're given here gives them nothing to do but react.

But when it's on MUTE and you catch it at one of its many scary sequences, the aesthetics of the world are genuinely horrifying.

Entertainment Value: D+

2.0 out of 5 stars Valid message but crude presentation., Feb. 18 2007
This review is from: Silent Hill (Widescreen) (DVD)
First if your a fan of the game or a crusading control freak your going to hate this review.

The story discuses a popular philosophy of the N.A. society which is. (a)"Fun is evil." and (b)"Children are going to bring organized society in to chaos." The movie discuss this effectively; However the style of the story telling reinforces this false philosophy or lends strength to it.

In my opinion this story is saying hate will keep the children alive despite their bondage until the destroyers club runs out of false strength and then the children will have revenge. However, Hatred is like a gasoline fire: It burns quickly until it's fuel is used up and then it dies suddenly.

So why would we live our lives in such a way that we would burn out young and die while in a state of emptiness and unfulfillment?

Would it not be more fitting to have lots of fun in our lives and thumb our noses at those that would control us with fear or it's big brother hatred?

Silent Hill [Blu-ray]
Silent Hill [Blu-ray] by Christophe Gans (Blu-ray - 2012)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 11.99