5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing feeder and amazing battery life

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing feeder and amazing battery life, April 2 2013
Anto - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: PetSafe PFD11-13707 5-Meal Automatic Feeder (Misc.)
This is the best thing I've ever bought. There are so many reasons it's amazing, not to mention the so far *10 month* battery life (and still going strong). The programs are really easy to set and change, the functions make sense when you're using them, it's hands-off 99% of the time (unless you want to change the time), the 4 D-cell batteries have lasted so long now I can't even remember when I bought the unit off the top of my head. The tray turns perfectly every time.

Be aware that the motor sound is pretty loud when it does turn (only when it's turning), but we actually find this beneficial since it's like a bell telling the cat that food is ready. She's associated the sound with food so she stops bugging us all the time. Greatest invention ever and amazing implementation!!!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

UPDATE: 1.5 years on and the batteries still haven't been changed, the door still hasn't been broken or chewed through and everything is running just as perfectly as the day I bought it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased... at first, Nov. 6 2012
This review is from: PetSafe PFD11-13707 5-Meal Automatic Feeder (Misc.)
I've been using this feeder for about a month now and so far am very pleased with it. My cat very quickly learned to recognize the noise it makes when it advances a food-filled section to the opening (he still insists on waking me up early for his breakfast, but that's not the fault of the feeder!). It wasn't very hard to set up, and it doesn't make a lot of noise. It's also dishwasher safe, but I don't find it difficult to clean by hand, either. I do use wet food in it so wouldn't want to set it for feeding my cat over a weekend, but I find it handy to load it with his nighttime snack and his breakfast before I go to bed, and then in the morning before I leave for work, I load it with his daytime snack and his dinner. It doesn't come with ice packs to help keep food fresh, so I just put one of my frozen reusable ice-cubes (plastic water-filled fruit-shaped pieces)in with the food, and it seems to work fine. It was also much less expensive than the one I saw in the pet store, and it arrived very quickly, too.

April 2014: the feeder up and died on me - instead of rotating to the next compartment, it moves only about a third of the way. Replacing the batteries did not help. The price of the feeder has gone way up from what I initially paid for it, too. It was good while it lasted, but for the sake of my own sanity and to keep my cat happy, I decided to keep things simple and bout a bought a 2-compartment feeder elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, Dec 13 2012
This review is from: PetSafe PFD11-13707 5-Meal Automatic Feeder (Misc.)
I read tons of online reviews on different websites for several different automatic pet feeders before finally deciding on this one. This one seemed to get the best reviews and I have not been disappointed at all since receiving it. I bought this for a planned 2 week vacation when I would have someone cat-sitting, but my 2 cats need measured amounts of food 3x a day or else they gorge and then puke all over my house while I'm gone. I didn't want the cat sitter to have to come over 3x a day, so I figured with the automatic feeder then she would only have to come over once a day or could even come over every second day depending on her schedule and when the feeder would be empty. I wanted to test the feeder out though before I left on vacation and so I've been using it for a month and it's been working perfectly.

Pros:
-super easy to figure out how to set with the enclosed instructions. Mine didn't come with instructions stuck on the lid so I never had an issue with the tray getting stuck like some other reviewers mentioned.
-has a digital timer so it is very accurate with when it goes off
-has a lot of flexibility with how you set it (ex. at first I had it set to go off for 7am, 12noon, and 5pm, but now I have it set off to just go off for morning and lunch and I give the cats their supper feeding each night)
-It is very sturdy/well-built. It doesn't feel cheap and flimsy at all
-The feeding trays move, not the top, so you can put it up against a wall or in a corner area without any issues
-The top snaps shut and since the tray moves and not the top, it closes very firmly and I haven't had any issues with my cats breaking it open to get to the food
-trays are big enough for me to give a serving size for 2 cats when their meals are split up into 3 meals per day (half-cup per serving)

Cons:
-It takes D batteries, which is a pain, but they seem to be lasting well thus far and as long as it doesn't suck the batteries dry quickly then that won't be a big issue.
-if you have cats that fight over their food then you may need two feeders because the wells for the food are only big enough for one cat to eat out of at a time. My cats take turns (they are sometimes pushy, but they aren't aggressive with each other and they always both get enough to eat).
-no place/room for ice packs if you want food to stay cold but maybe you could freeze wet food overnight and then put it in the compartment to thaw by the next feeding?
-I wish it had more compartments so that it could go for two days. Right now it can go for two days if I do two feedings per day, but if I do 3 per day then it will run out before the last feeding on the second day.

I am very pleased with this purchase overall. The feeder isn't really loud, but my cats were afraid of it the first couple days. It was funny to watch because they both freaked out (puffly tails and hunched backs) at first when it turned, and then they very slowly and cautiously walked up to it at first and were afraid to put their head in the food well to get the food. After a couple days they were running to the feeder as soon as they heard it turn though, so it didn't take them long to get used to it at all. I am so happy to finally get to sleep in on the weekends again and it's nice to know that whenever I'm away on vacation I won't have to worry about the cat-sitter or myself having to clean up puke all around the house like what used to happen when I had to leave a bowl of open bowl food out for them to make sure they had enough for the day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleep saver, Jan. 3 2012
The product is reliable. After almost a month of daily use, I can surely say that this feeder is a smart alternative for both cats' and caretakers' wellbeing. It saves our night sleep and facilitates our cats' so much anticipated nocturnal fresh meal. During the day I am feeding my cats natural raw food that I am preparing myself, but the night meal in the feeder is always canned food. I never program it for more than 4 or 6h, so as far as I am concerned the 48h autonomy means nothing, but that's only because I choose to feed my cats wet food.
The feeder is sturdier than it looks like.
However, the product has 2 minuses: doesn't seal tightly when closed so the food aroma will leak out, and it doesn't come with special ice packs to put them under the food trays. I managed to purchase some, but I had to look for the smallest on the market. Ultimately, the pluses are that it is reliable - it opens when you program it, and it is convenient if you have 2 cats because both compartments can open at the same time. The only amendment here, I would not recommend to caretakers with belligerent cats.
My 2 young males got used with it in a week, and since then we have managed to sleep without pause during the night and keep them happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, excellent price, July 2 2010
I read a lot of reviews before purchasing this feeder and I have to agree that it is the best automatic feeder I have tried. My cat is amazing at finding ways to get at food, whether it's in a cupboard or a feeder but he has not been able to get into this one. In fact he seems to have given up trying, and just waits to hear the sound of the tray rotating and then rushes over to get his meal. I thoroughly recommend this product... especially if you have a smart cat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplement génial - Simply perfect, Oct. 23 2012
L. Janelle (Quebec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PetSafe PFD11-13707 5-Meal Automatic Feeder (Misc.)
J'en ai acheté deux, un pour chaque animal et je ne regrette pas l'investissement. Le produit respecte les heures programmées, sans passer de repas ou les précéder. Mes chats mangeaient tout, trop vite et "redécoraient" mes planchers par la suite en étant malades. Ces plats les forcent à respecter les portions et ils sont suffisamment profonds pour les obliger à manger plus lentement. Ça coûte cher de batteries, cependant, mais comme elles n'entrent en fonction que brièvement lors du déplacement des plateaux, je m'attends de pouvoir faire plusieurs mois, voire un an, avant de devoir les changer. Bref, ça m'a largement simplifié la vie!

Absolutely perfect for me. I bought two bowls, one for each animal and I don't regret the initial price investment. The bowls respect the programmed hours, don't precede or pass up the schedule. My cats were eating too much, too quickly and were sick all over the floors afterwards. These bowls are deep enough to force them to eat more slowly and respect the portions. It's a bit costly with the batteries, but I suspect they should last me a good six months to a year before I have to replace them again, so all in all, I,m very satisfied: this product simplified my life and bettered the quality of my cat's!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, July 19 2011
This review is from: PetSafe PFD11-13707 5-Meal Automatic Feeder (Misc.)
This is the best cat feeder I found so far for my diabetic cat. It allows me to feed my cat in small portion which is very important for his medical condition. Although there are only 4 slots cat actually feed on, this device gives you 9 timer settings, so you don't need to keep reprogram the time, just put in food when you know the last slot of food will be used up. Got another one of this few days ago, the older one I had more than a year tend to over rotated a little bit lately showing a small gap to the next food portion. Other than that it is still in very good working condition. Good thing I don't have a curious cat. Now I got both going at different set time, feeding my cat in controlled food portion through out the day, not to worry he will go hungry or over fed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Saver, June 21 2014
Love this product. I don't have to worry about rushing home to feed my baby after work. Even when I am at home I set the timer in case I have to rush out (errand or social engagement) and don't get back at feeding time. It's quiet and just pops open at the scheduled time. I only use it with dry food and add a bit of wet food to her leftovers when I get home. The bowls are made of plastic so daily cleaning is advisable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Useless for persistent cats, March 6 2014
Once I finally got the thing to work the way it should it lasted for all of 2 weeks before my cat reefed on it enough to not close all the way. This product is made of very light plastic and if your cat has any motivation to get at the food he will. It's just not a very solid product for a persistent cat.

4.0 out of 5 stars No more howling cat, Jan. 23 2014
This review is from: PetSafe PFD11-13707 5-Meal Automatic Feeder (Misc.)
This is great for animals that like to eat early in the morning! I would advise marking the compartments, so you know when you are on the 5th one and need to refill.

PetSafe PFD11-13707 5-Meal Automatic Feeder