boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store countdown sports Tools

on June 16, 2016
#Freedom - first time ever in a workday morning that I did not have to scoop the litter box!

The main reason I got this one is that none of the "reasonably priced" self-cleaning units had the greatest reviews all-around, while this particular had the highest average of positive reviews (have you seen the Cadillac of all litter boxes?! I simply can't justify paying that kind of money LOL). So far so good, impressed with the ability of the unit to scoop pretty much a whole pan of litter in one hour, which, at this rate, will mean it will be cleaner litter for both of our cats than they've ever had before, except when I'd be home all day.

The second reason, and as important, I needed to get one is that I'm having a surgery soon where I won't be able to do any bending for a number of weeks. I've always been the main catbox cleaner of the house, and I can at least trust that I will be able to get someone in the house to dispose of the baggy when full and replace it with a new one in the waste receptacle.

And...the price was great, too!

I've put the unit on a timer to go on every few hours to conserve wear & tear on the motor for the long run, and the motor has cooled down considerably from when it seemed to get hot the I first had it running for a couple of hours straight.

I use a litter made from grain and corns bits, no clogging issues. I came home the first evening and both of our cats had already started using it, there was even debris in the waste bin (none in the standard litter box that had day-old waste in it...sort of a trick to encourage them to use the fresh, clean litter in this new litter system).

I also remembered to follow the instructions and spray the pan with a bit of non-stick cooking spray.

Fingers crossed!

-----

One "minor edit" a week later:

The motor started making steady clicking sound this morning, so I completely changed the litter, cleaned all of the parts (base of unit, waste bin, conveyor, a little shake to get rid any granules that might have slipped into the mechanism), sprayed the bottom of the bowl with cooking spray, fresh litter, put it all back together, and left for work (the every-other-hour timer was set to off at the time, plus I was running late). When I got home, the clicking sound was still there, so I called their customer service number in the manual. And she was superb, an actual live person answered the call and took me through all of the steps to check for possible issues, and it turned out to likely be the motor. Still under warranty, a new motor is on its way to me. The noise had actually gone away for a short time, but then it came back, so I'm glad I called them. For now I guess I have to haul out the old litter pan until the replacement motor arrives yuck, but I can't say enough about this product and the service, 5 stars for both!
on January 26, 2013
I was very excited to try this product. The set up was easy, my (two) cats took to it right away and it seemed in good working order. I thought I would never have to scoop litter again!
That is until I went to check on it later in the day and found the clean litter tossed over the sides onto the floor. The unfortunate problem is with the design. After the cats do their business they use their paws to cover it. Well, because the litter guard is too low, they end up scooping the litter out of the box. The largest mound is where there is a dip in the guard. I assume that is to make it easy for the cats to enter. The box is so low to the ground that it really doesn't need to be part of the design. Every time they use it they must paw out about 2 cups of litter. So I have been scooping it off the floor and back into the box. There goes my dream of never scooping litter again. I will be returning this and contacting the company with hopes that they improve the design.
on March 22, 2013
I've had this product for about 8 months and absolutely love it. I've always used good quality litter, so I have had no problems with small clumps and the unit has worked very well. I agree with the other poster who pointed out that the cats tend to spray litter over the sides. This happens to me too, because the plastic side guards aren't quite high enough. What I have done is put a kitty litter mat in front of the box. All the kitty litter that is sprayed out by my overzealous kitties lands on the mat and I can easily dump it back into the box after a few days.

I have two smaller sized cats, and I typically go about 3 days between having to empty the bin. I tell you, this product is amazing. Much better than sifting through cat poop every day!
on March 12, 2014
So this is a product that WHEN USED CORRECTLY will make your life so much easier.

We have a 1 cat household, used to have 2 cats when we first bought this.

It's SO EASY, and the use of grocery bags in the catcher is the best thing since nutella. It does occasionally and always has made some noises here and there but mostly prior to now that was poop collecting in the in or moving up the ramp. After nearly 3 years the motor is finally giving way so we're out to buy another.

Once a month we would take it apart and clean it wholly (all moving parts and dish) and oil up moving parts, and spray the base with pam or olive oil. Maybe that's how we were so successful at having this run for so long. Either way... LOVE THIS.

UPDATE: I purchased another one and I didn't even need to!!! If I had contacted customer service I could have purchased new motor parts! I can't express my love enough for this item and the company!! Now I'm going to buy a water dish!
on February 27, 2014
I initially am thrilled with my PetSafe Simply Clean Continuous Litter Box.

It is lightweight and easy to assemble.

It works fine and as advertised. I have a large cat who took to it right away with no trouble at all! :)

The design is far superior to the raking litter box type - I previously had a Littermaid elite - which was a dirty, smelly mess!

My only disappointment is the lid/cover which covers all the moving conveyor belt - mine seems to not engage properly or has a hairpin trigger, the cover with the slightest nudge comes loose and causes the unit to stop working. This protective lid or cover must be aligned and engaged for the unit to operate correctly. I have read other reviews where users had to weigh the lid down to make the unit continue to operate.

OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!
I called PetSafe and found there customer service and response outstanding! The support person had a unit infront of them, tried to replicate the issue and decided to send me out a new replacement! I'm thrilled. In addition, they will continue to support their product for a full year and then a limited warranty for an additional 5 - whereby you can get replacement motors or new unit at a heavy discount!!! Wow.

Really and truly, nothing to lose here. Buy this product, it works and be assured the company supports what they sell!
on April 28, 2016
This is a great product. I have to say the only reason I did not give it 5 stars is because the edge is to low and when my cats go and use it they end up throwing litter out of the box so there is a bit of clean up to do. If you have cats I would totally recommend this!
on April 21, 2015
GARBAGE ! Makes LOUD and ANNOYING noises since day one. After a week of use it's just getting worst. PetSafe customer support is USELESS and they keep telling me to call the 800 number to get support. It's easier and faster to just return the whole unit to Amazon. I have tried the Litter Robot and different automatic litters, PetSafe is the worst so far. Waste of money and waste of time trying to get online support.

Edit: The unit just died today. Light doesn't even turns up when i connect it. The litter and conveyer doesn't move anymore. It didn't even last 10 days before totally dying.
PetSafe customer support is still not helping me, if they sent the replacements parts when i first asked for them i would probably have them already but now it will probably take another month until i can finally use this junk. Why does a company have online support if they refuse to help you beside repeating to call the phone number to get support ? We aren't living in 1990, all companies in the world offer online support so why not PetSafe ?

Update: they sent me replacement motors, a few days later the noise came back.
I bought two litters because i have 2 cats and both are making horrible noise. I bought two timers and let the litters run only 3 hours per day, but it still wakes me up in the middle of the night. There is nothing to do to stop the noise.
on May 27, 2016
It works well but small pieces of litter get jammed between the fork tines that move the litter up the conveyor belt into the litter bin. At least 2-3 times per week the litter box will start making horrible grinding noises until you use something thin to dislodge a hardened cat turd from a moving part. A few times I've had to use a knife to remove cat hair wrapped around an axle and locking it up

Other than that, with one cat I only have to dump the bin every two weeks or so. I purchased the box two years ago and it is has run practically nonstop since
on January 9, 2014
Once I received my order, I set the box up as per the instructions. Surprisingly, there was zero adjustment time with my cat -- she took to it IMMEDIATELY.

It's hard to believe it was working at first. The bowl rotates very slowly, to facilitate usage from your cat. It moves at about one rotation per hour.

The advantages to this unit are obvious. I've had it set up for over a week and have yet to clean it, replace letter, or dump the receptacle. The litter is smooth, even and clean.

The downsides, however, is that this unit is large and noisy, and if your cat likes to kick litter, there is almost zero defense against that. The retaining wall is much too short to prevent a mess.

About a day after I got the unit it started making this plasticy creaking noise, followed by a loud POP, every 30 - 45 seconds or so. Surprisingly, it doesn't scare off my cat; but I can imagine the noise being quite disturbing to others.

The company does stand behind their product, and they will provide pretty prompt technical support and suggestions. If that fails, they usually do not hesitate to send out a new unit.

EDIT 02/06/2014: Downgraded this from 3 stars to 2 stars. The unit is just so cheaply built, that one of the retaining screws that bolt the conveyor into place is now simply just free-spinning, which no longer holds the "wall" of the bowl in place, which means that litter goes EVERYWHERE now. I've now had to try to fix it with duct-tape, but that's only a temporary measure... and errect a garbage-bag "retaining" wall around the entire unit to catch any stray litter.

In my opinion, this product is in need of a re-design, or a "version 2" -- something of higher quality would be great, as well as a full enclosure around the entire unit to catch any mess... The "wall" ontop of the bowl just does not cut it!
on October 7, 2015
I carefully read all the reviews before purchasing this item. When it works, it is great but by the second week it was making the sounds others had described and we had to unplug it every day to give it a break. It also has difficulty keeping the cover tight enough to activate the switch underneath that connects the power. We've had to jerry rig it to get enough pressure on the post underneath the cover to keep it running. It has worked well once we got the power going and the fact that it feeds into grocery bags is a nice feature.

UPDATE: Customer service sent us a replacement unit. It died within 2 weeks. We are going to request ANOTHER replacement but this is not worth all the hassle for this item.